Southampton FC Women

Dr Who?

54 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

Welcome to the world of lower league woman's football, where it is very frustrating as they only seem to play once a month! Yes they will ‘get around to fitting them in’ when the club have sorted out the rest of the things on the list and they get to the last one 🙄. I am hoping that a fixture pile up does not have an impact on us going for the title. 

Pompey gave us a helping hand this week...

12 hours ago, Lampwick said:

Pompey gave us a helping hand this week...

They are turning their own season around. Also Oxford are improving. The fact that we are not playing much really has not help as we have been looking a bit wobbly. Hopefully back on it this Sunday at Milton Keynes. 

10 minutes ago, striker said:

Seems like the matches are getting a lot closer. Early on we were winning by large margins

Yes we seem to have lost a lot of momentum for sure, but we are still winning and that’s the main thing. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, striker said:

Seems like the matches are getting a lot closer. Early on we were winning by large margins

I think they played a significant part of the game with 10 men, women, players (apparently they didn't). Difficult to be sure the twitter feed was useless, at one point showing the score as 0-0 but with the scorer named (the tweet was then deleted). The OS shows the game is in progress. Looks like Ipswich beat Hounslow (bottom of the table) by 9-0.

Edited by VectisSaint
Thought I read they were down to 10 players, but clearly now I was wrong

On 16/01/2022 at 16:46, Dr Who? said:

Sums up the coverage on the official site. An hour after the game ended. 🙄 🤦🏻‍♂️ - shite coverage! 

8989CD88-3EE6-477B-A456-025EBC6A3967.jpeg

Get involved, get behind the girls, show some support for women's football! 

Wish we f**king could. 

The powers that be need to realise if they want women's football to take off they need to start pushing more than just the WSL and international tournaments. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Get involved, get behind the girls, show some support for women's football! 

Wish we f**king could. 

The powers that be need to realise if they want women's football to take off they need to start pushing more than just the WSL and international tournaments. 

It is not as though we have a pretty good team or something either. It could be a great journey for the club to get behind. If we manage to get 2 promotions in 2 seasons and get to the top flight, then that would be a journey not to miss. Well it happened with the mens team not that long ago! 

It really would not take much to make the coverage better. The club are supporting the woman's team, so go the whole hog and get them all over media sites and make it worth while! Reminds me of Monty Python, but life in general when it comes to half arsing around ‘it’s happening, it’s really happening’. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Where are we in the table now?

1 Ipswich Town 16 13 2 1 47 41
2 Oxford United 14 11 1 2 32 34
3 Southampton FC 12 11 0 1 50 33
4 Bridgwater United 13 8 2 3 21 26
5 Gillingham 14 8 2 4 -2 26
6 London Bees 16 8 1 7 5 25
7 Portsmouth 14 7 2 5 20 23
8 Crawley Wasps 13 7 0 6 7 21
9 Keynsham Town 14 5 0 9 -41 15
10 Cardiff City 14 4 1 9 -7 12 *
11 Plymouth Argyle 13 4 0 9 -20 12
12 Milton Keynes Dons 14 2 2 10 -14 8
13 Chichester & Selsey 14 2 1 11 -36 7
14 Hounslow 13 0 0 13 -62 0
  • Like 5

On 27/01/2022 at 00:06, negium said:

Great game tonight winning 8 nil with some absolute belters. 1st time ever seen sin bin used in football and Ipswich only drew. All in all a great night.

How is sin bin being used? Can see why people are opposed to it but have to say I quite like the idea for professional fouls

2 hours ago, Saint Troy said:

How is sin bin being used? Can see why people are opposed to it but have to say I quite like the idea for professional fouls

Not many people knew what was going on but it was for dissent by their striker. She had a right go at the lino then 30 seconds later went off at the ref who sin binned her for 10 mins. She appeared to calm down after it. Though the rest of the team were getting really annoyed at some ref decisions which led to the keeper going at the end.  Is only for dissent during the trial phase

https://www.thefa.com/news/2019/jul/29/sin-bins-launched-for-2019-20-season-290719

30 minutes ago, negium said:

Not many people knew what was going on but it was for dissent by their striker. She had a right go at the lino then 30 seconds later went off at the ref who sin binned her for 10 mins. She appeared to calm down after it. Though the rest of the team were getting really annoyed at some ref decisions which led to the keeper going at the end.  Is only for dissent during the trial phase

https://www.thefa.com/news/2019/jul/29/sin-bins-launched-for-2019-20-season-290719

Their keeper looked like she stuck two fingers up at the ref . Perhaps not the greatest move as she had big goalie gloves on.

3 hours ago, negium said:

Thank you - interesting 

8 hours ago, negium said:

Interesting. 

I like the idea of sin bins, but they will only work effectively if football also adopts rugby-style time keeping (I.e stopping the clock whilst the ball is out of play). Otherwise time wasting is going to increase massively.

20 minutes ago, jawillwill said:

Interesting. 

I like the idea of sin bins, but they will only work effectively if football also adopts rugby-style time keeping (I.e stopping the clock whilst the ball is out of play). Otherwise time wasting is going to increase massively.

To be fair I didn't notice an increase in time wasting but if it got rolled out to the pro game I could see it being an issue

8 hours ago, Lampwick said:

Their keeper looked like she stuck two fingers up at the ref . Perhaps not the greatest move as she had big goalie gloves 

When I saw it live it looked like she was originally going to be sin binned but then she stuck 2 fingers up and carried on having a go so got upped to a red. Even then she doubled back to have another go. After our 8th they completely lost their heads as felt there was a foul in the build up that they didn't get

1 hour ago, JRM said:

FA Cup game at St Mary's tomorrow v Bristol City, should be a decent crowd for the ladies and anyone who is a fan of TGI Fridays can get a free meal as well 

IMG-20220125-WA0002.jpg

New dedicated Twitter account launched today.  About time.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lampwick said:

New dedicated Twitter account launched today.  About time.

Such a simple inexpensive thing but will make all the difference when trying to follow the team.

Disappointed it took so long but just in time for our promotion push and an ‘upset’ in the cup tomorrow!

Last season the FA Cup games were live on the youtube channel and, I think, Facebook. Anyone know if that is the case for tomorrow?

57 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

I know some have posted already. Maybe they read this site? That is a very scary thought! 

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2022-01-29/southampton-fc-women-matchday-twitter-account-launch

I had a good e-mail convo’ with the club back in October on this subject. They said all would change if we were on the championship maybe they have listened and brought that forward. 

Let’s hope they don’t read this site!