Southampton FC Women

Dr Who?

9 hours ago, teamsaint said:

And a cracking winning goal it was.

the Swindon keeper was outstanding.

Seeing the goal on Saints FB page the poor keepers body language was “oh ffs you have to be kidding me”.

Surprised Kendall didn’t steal JWPs golf swing celebration, as that was deftly chipped.

I see this weekends womens football weekend was hailed a success with record crowds set across the country

Chelsea's 4-0 win over Manchester City was watched by 3,174 - the biggest attendance at the Academy Stadium so far this season - while Birmingham City also recorded their largest crowd this campaign with 1,386 at St Andrew's for the defeat by Villa.

There was a new record crowd registered for Spurs at The Hive as 2,896 saw them draw with league leaders Arsenal - live on BBC One - and Brighton had 3,566 fans at the Amex.

With no mens matches to compete with this weekend it's great to see this records being set and demonstrates the ever increasing popularity of the game in the fairer sex.

Women's Football Weekend: Attendances rise while European battle heats up - BBC Sport

2 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

Did we play a weakened side, seems odd to only win by a single goal against a team in the lower reaches of Tier 4?

Yeah. Very much a second string team. Lots of chances from the highlights and not much for Swindon.

I was expecting to see a trashing.

Just saving all the goals for Ipswich hopefully.

Mind you, I'd happily settle for another goal like Kendall's. John Boy Saint's sum up of the keeper's body language is just right. No chance.

I noticed Man City also had a weakened team out, due to injuries, againt Chelsea. Just the 11 internationals and 5 more on the bench. 🙂 They had a couple of excellent chances, but were well beaten.

• Like 1

If you have ever had the dubious pleasure of traveling on the A303 in the past the Ilminster bypass was notorious for its section of two lanes of traffic almost wide enough to be 4 lanes, and the accidents that occurred when people going in opposite directions decided to give this a go. A couple go at this persuaded me that going via the A35 was preferable when traveling to Southampton from East Devon

13 hours ago, Mystic Force said:

If you have ever had the dubious pleasure of traveling on the A303 in the past the Ilminster bypass was notorious for its section of two lanes of traffic almost wide enough to be 4 lanes, and the accidents that occurred when people going in opposite directions decided to give this a go. A couple go at this persuaded me that going via the A35 was preferable when traveling to Southampton from East Devon

They are now working from the end roundabout to dual the existing road to the M5 but that will not stop the accidents on the bypass.

Back in league action tonight, but seemed a little rusty as it was 0-0 at half time and not looking as sharp as they were before this long break. Could be that they have their minds on the big game at home to Ipswich on Sunday which I believe will decide the title, but they will need to put in a better display than this. But another 3 points in the bag! 

Southampton 3-0 Crawley Wasps

7 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

Back in league action tonight, but seemed a little rusty as it was 0-0 at half time and not looking as sharp as they were before this long break. Could be that they have their minds on the big game at home to Ipswich on Sunday which I believe will decide the title, but they will need to put in a better display than this. But another 3 points in the bag! 

Southampton 3-0 Crawley Wasps

It won't decide the title, only half way through the season. The final game of the season is however against Ipswich again so that game may well be the decider. If we lose this and then end up both teams winning every other game this season, then going into the last game the best we could do is draw level and then it comes down to whoever's goal difference is best. Mental season really, I'm looking forward to seeing how they do in two or three seasons time when they inevitably get into the WSL.

23 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

It won't decide the title, only half way through the season. The final game of the season is however against Ipswich again so that game may well be the decider. If we lose this and then end up both teams winning every other game this season, then going into the last game the best we could do is draw level and then it comes down to whoever's goal difference is best. Mental season really, I'm looking forward to seeing how they do in two or three seasons time when they inevitably get into the WSL.

I think if we win we will win the league. We will have the superior goal difference, so even losing to them on the last day will mean we are level on points with better GD. 

If we lose on the other hand we will have to beat them at theirs to win the league on goal difference. 👍

I think we will win every game (outside of the Ipswich fixtures) but just depends on how many by. But we will batter pretty much everyone apart from Ipswich. 

Edited by Dr Who?

13 hours ago, Dr Who? said:

I think if we win we will win the league. We will have the superior goal difference, so even losing to them on the last day will mean we are level on points with better GD. 

If we lose on the other hand we will have to beat them at theirs to win the league on goal difference. 👍

I think we will win every game (outside of the Ipswich fixtures) but just depends on how many by. But we will batter pretty much everyone apart from Ipswich. 

Only letting one goal in all season to date definitely helps...

20 minutes ago, southbourne saint said:

Full time Saints 0 Ipswich 2 Pity probably need a big result at Ipswich last game of the season and hope the goal difference is enough. Anyone know how many teams get promoted?

Pretty rubbish weekend. 

Then winner of our league play the winner of the north league and that team group. So evening winning the league might not be enough. This is a big result. Will need to beat them on the last day I think. 

51 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

Pretty rubbish weekend. 

Then winner of our league play the winner of the north league and that team group. So evening winning the league might not be enough. This is a big result. Will need to beat them on the last day I think. 

Thanks for that blimey it's tough getting out of this tier of Ladies football.

We just never got going. Too many wayward passes. All the games I've been to we are normally really dynamic, fast, with good close passing. Today it was all too slow and too many long balls that went to no one.  A fair bit of gamesmanship from the Ipswich players as well which didn't help our cause.  Still have to believe that it will come down to the last game and that we can do it.

• Like 3

First time I've been since the game they played at St marys. Enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Rafferty was stand out for me. We just needed to up the tempo at times. Ipswich were too physical for us and then time wasted most of the 2nd half.

Referee was terrible, got so many decisions wrong. Decent attendance aswell. 930 approximately.

Shame about today. Set up too defensively in the first half and let Ipswich settle too easily.  Never got going.    Must be a bit weird for  Saints  chewing on a defeat after so long.      A long way to go yet but Ipswich seemed stronger and more robust than us. They are going to be a major obstacle to our promotion bid this season. Rafferty is class and I thought she was going to deck someone at the end. 

Edited by Lampwick

3 hours ago, negium said:

We just never got going. Too many wayward passes. All the games I've been to we are normally really dynamic, fast, with good close passing. Today it was all too slow and too many long balls that went to no one.  A fair bit of gamesmanship from the Ipswich players as well which didn't help our cause.  Still have to believe that it will come down to the last game and that we can do it.

Do you think the players struggled playing in front of a big crowd? Occasion got to them a bit? 

How were the free burgers? 

Comments above seem about right. The second goal was a killer, we looked a bit disorganised for ot, watching from the other end. We caused them quite a few problems in the last half an hour but Ipswich did  defend well with the two goal cushion. They  might just have been a bit  more jittery with just a one goal lead.

Thought Milly Mott was very impressive when she came on. 

Just now, teamsaint said:

Comments above seem about right. The second goal was a killer, we looked a bit disorganised for it, watching from the other end. We caused them quite a few problems in the last half an hour but Ipswich did  defend well with the two goal cushion. They  might just have been a bit  more jittery with just a one goal lead. Quite a bit of niggly stuff from Ipswich .

1 hour ago, JRM said:

Do you think the players struggled playing in front of a big crowd? Occasion got to them a bit? 

Crowd was very quiet although I don't know if that's always the case at womens football. Free burger and drink was a nice touch as was the saints brass band. Good day out, the kids enjoyed it.

1 hour ago, teamsaint said:

Comments above seem about right. The second goal was a killer, we looked a bit disorganised for ot, watching from the other end. We caused them quite a few problems in the last half an hour but Ipswich did  defend well with the two goal cushion. They  might just have been a bit  more jittery with just a one goal lead.

Millie is class and was a shame she didn't start. Think we really missed her and Shannon.  Their keeper pulled off an absolute worldy at one point and who knows how the pressure would have built if she hadn't got it.

2 hours ago, JRM said:

Burgers were alright. Cheap nasty drinks. 

I don't think it was the crowd. I think that the month off came at the wrong time and they haven't found their rhythm since.

Looks like the home game against Pompey will be played at St Mary’s. Not going to be fun for them playing at Fratton Park, they will get plenty of grief, if the Pompey fans know about womens football that is. I’m sure plenty will go along just to hurl abuse! 

7 hours ago, Dr Who? said:

Looks like the home game against Pompey will be played at St Mary’s. Not going to be fun for them playing at Fratton Park, they will get plenty of grief, if the Pompey fans know about womens football that is. I’m sure plenty will go along just to hurl abuse! 

I went to the pompey v oxford match a couple of months back to support a friend in the Oxford team. The abuse from some of the men who put themselves behind the keeper and followed to the other side at half time was disgusting.  Oxford should have been out of sight in the game but drew 1-1 after one of their girls fractured her leg.  I can imagine it will be another level of crap at fratton Park.  Just got to hope that away fans are banned as you can bet there would be some trouble makers coming down.