Southampton FC Women

Dr Who?

15 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

Big game on Wednesday (Oxford away). 

Massive game that. Oxford are top of the league now and we still have to play them twice. 

The league table looks so strange, rest of the top 4 have all played 18 games and we're stuck on 13 still. 5 games in hand but 10 points behind. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Lampwick said:

Won 2-0 today in League cup semi.  Huddersfield T in final TBC

Hopefully play the cup final at St Mary's and get a bit of silverware. Is this the women's equivalent of the JPT for 3rd tier down to compete for? 

Any idea how good Huddersfield are? 

3 hours ago, JRM said:

Hopefully play the cup final at St Mary's and get a bit of silverware. Is this the women's equivalent of the JPT for 3rd tier down to compete for? 

Any idea how good Huddersfield are? 

Same level as Saints but in the Northern section. About 4th in league...

Massive game tonight at Oxford United. Real test this one in what is now a busy schedule. Not sure why they have hardly played since November and all of a sudden they are coming at once though. Bad origination? 🤷🏽 

1 hour ago, Dr Who? said:

Massive game tonight at Oxford United. Real test this one in what is now a busy schedule. Not sure why they have hardly played since November and all of a sudden they are coming at once though. Bad origination? 🤷🏽 

Indeed as they’ve put themselves in too many cups which achieves nothing at the end of the day considering the top league is going from strength to strength.

They can afford to draw both games vs Ipswich and Oxford to win the league if they win the rest of the games which should be possible as they are a class above the rest.

25 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Indeed as they’ve put themselves in too many cups which achieves nothing at the end of the day considering the top league is going from strength to strength.

They can afford to draw both games vs Ipswich and Oxford to win the league if they win the rest of the games which should be possible as they are a class above the rest.

We have to play Oxford twice .  Ipswich and Oxford have to play each other . Hope I'm wrong but I have a feeling the barmy schedule will do for us this season. Even if we do win this league we then have to fight the Northern Premier League winners for the one available Championship place.

Edited by Lampwick

12 hours ago, Dr Who? said:

Goal for Saints on 7 mins.

36 minutes ago, djharvey said:

1-1 half time

A draw would be good for Ipswich. Not much happening, we seem to be cancelling each other out, I’m not as convinced with the team as I was in the first 3 months of the season. 

12 hours ago, Lampwick said:

We have to play Oxford twice .  Ipswich and Oxford have to play each other . Hope I'm wrong but I have a feeling the barmy schedule will do for us this season. Even if we do win this league we then have to fight the Northern Premier League winners for the one available Championship place.

I agree. Something has gone seriously wrong with the scheduling, nothing was happening for 2 and half months. It’s not good and has had a huge impact on the momentum we had. 

1 minute ago, jawillwill said:

Conceded a late goal to draw 1-1 v Bridgewater. Could end up being a couple of costly points lost...

Terrible result , going to leave too much to do at this rate and could end up with nothing to show from a good season. 

4 minutes ago, jawillwill said:

Conceded a late goal to draw 1-1 v Bridgewater. Could end up being a couple of costly points lost...

1 minute ago, JRM said:

Terrible result , going to leave too much to do at this rate and could end up with nothing to show from a good season. 

Yep, making the decision to withdraw from the senior cup final to save ourselves one whole game seem a little ridiculous.

31 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Yep, making the decision to withdraw from the senior cup final to save ourselves one whole game seem a little ridiculous.

Oxford lost so also dropped points but Ipswich have quite a lead now, to be fair they've beaten us in the league and knocked us out of the FA Cup (harsh on pens) but they seem to have the edge on us can't really complain if they win the division. 

47 minutes ago, JRM said:

To be fair even after today's results it is still in our hands, and Oxford are less of a threat. But it is a lot of games that need to be won with little room now for error. 

13 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

To be fair even after today's results it is still in our hands, and Oxford are less of a threat. But it is a lot of games that need to be won with little room now for error. 

Hope I'm wrong but I think it's a bridge too far. Too many games to fit in despite having a reasonably large squad. 

On 14/03/2022 at 09:37, Lampwick said:

Hope I'm wrong but I think it's a bridge too far. Too many games to fit in despite having a reasonably large squad. 

This. Ipswich are also flying and we still have to go to their patch. The next few games are huge and they come thick and fast, Sunday, Wednesday, and we do not seem to have the same swagger about us anymore. I have said it before, but I’m sure there was pretty much a month where we did not play and sometimes 2/3 weeks between games, which has not help the momentum. Now we have an overload of fixtures 🤷🏽. Hopefully we can regroup and go again for the big run in. But I think we will fall short in 2nd place and not even get the chance of the game for promotion. 

The whole set up just seems a little bit of an after thought. The club need to seriously wake up and promote, organise and take the woman’s game more seriously. 

Edited by Dr Who?

Pretty sure the club have been unlucky with games called off due to covid & waterlogged pitches!

"An after thought"

Are you serious! Think you're being harsh on the club, they have and continue to invest quite heavily in the women's team considering the league we are in and have plans to increase in line with any promotion, they train at staplewood, also investing further in facilities at Totton, there's always content about the women's team on the official site and social media if you want to look for it!

8 hours ago, djharvey said:

Pretty sure the club have been unlucky with games called off due to covid & waterlogged pitches!

"An after thought"

Are you serious! Think you're being harsh on the club, they have and continue to invest quite heavily in the women's team considering the league we are in and have plans to increase in line with any promotion, they train at staplewood, also investing further in facilities at Totton, there's always content about the women's team on the official site and social media if you want to look for it!

Correct. Plus we went all the way to the final  in two comps and deep into the FA Cup.

Edited by Lampwick

It’s improved yes, but if you look back through this thread you will see the flaws. It’s better but still way off when it comes to marketing and just seems like it is a little project at times. Hit and miss for sure. 

I do think we will be successful in the future. 

10 hours ago, djharvey said:

"An after thought"

Yeah there were a lot of games called off for many reasons but up until last week, over 2 months on the games are only now being crammed in. For the mens team games are cancelled and the new fixture set within a couple of weeks. Like this weekend, it was supposed to be Burnley and it has already been rescheduled before the game the original date came round. 

Again I am sure there is a lot going on, but if you have a look through this thread you will see where the problems are. Their Twitter feed is all over the place and the updates are terrible. I find out what is going on from other teams Twitter. They need someone at the games feeding the information. 

Don’t get me wrong I am aware there is a lot of investment going on, but somethings and mainly the simple things are just not right or up to scratch and it is like it is a bit half arsed. 

I champion the girls and woman’s game in Carlisle and anywhere I can, and across the board it is improving, but it is still a long way off and unfortunately other clubs are doing in better in our league and lower leagues. 

Perhaps it’s because I analyse the progress and where clubs are doing wrong and right, rather than just scratching the surface. 

Just now, Dr Who? said:

Yeah there were a lot of games called off for many reasons but up until last week, over 2 months on the games are only now being crammed in. For the mens team games are cancelled and the new fixture set within a couple of weeks. Like this weekend, it was supposed to be Burnley and it has already been rescheduled before the game the original date came round. 

Again I am sure there is a lot going on, but if you have a look through this thread you will see where the problems are. Their Twitter feed is all over the place and the updates are terrible. I find out what is going on from other teams Twitter. They need someone at the games feeding the information. 

Don’t get me wrong I am aware there is a lot of investment going on, but somethings and mainly the simple things are just not right or up to scratch and it is like it is a bit half arsed. 

I champion the girls and woman’s game in Carlisle and anywhere I can, and across the board it is improving, but it is still a long way off and unfortunately other clubs are doing in better in our league and lower leagues. 

Perhaps it’s because I analyse the progress and where clubs are doing wrong and right, rather than just scratching the surface. 

Other clubs may be doing better in some areas, but we're doing better in so many more! 

There's always room for improvement and that's what the club has consistently done in recent years, they will and do obviously prioritise what and when improvements are required. Overall Southampton FC are doing great things with the women's teams.

You state things like "flaws", "long way off" and "not up to scratch" which i think really isn't fair on the club!

Just my opinion though!

57 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

I'm a bit surprised the club hasn't been battering down your door to get at your special in depth analysis and knowledge of the womens game :)

Me-I just turn up and watch em and follow the new Twitter and Facebook accounts which are much improved since this thread started.

Edited by Lampwick

Great result today 0-4. And a great hat trick from Kendall. 

I think a few people are misunderstanding me. We have a great team that is not my argument, but there is more to it than results for the woman’s game, there is a very long way to go and the club could and can do more. Anyway, let’s hope they can get that top spot. 😃 

04661C0D-23A8-4C05-B0B7-C01F24926ABE.jpeg

383CFFDF-009F-4956-B41D-658802D587C4.jpeg

2 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

The Saints website doing a bang on job of reporting on the game…..

A20-AFF21-748-E-4-F5-B-AC44-6-F437276580

This is my point, and I don’t know how people do not see it. The Twitter live reporting is naff as well. But woman’s football across the board is not treated as it should be, even in 2022. The results on the BBC only come through about 60-90 minutes after full time. 

What you have mentioned above I have pointed out on this thread, more than once. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lampwick said:

I'm a bit surprised the club hasn't been battering down your door to get at your special in depth analysis and knowledge of the womens game :)

Me-I just turn up and watch em and follow the new Twitter and Facebook accounts which are much improved since this thread started.

Southampton women Facebook page? They don’t have one. The other Southampton women do, and have match commentary as and when on Twitter. 
The main Saints woman’s team get. Line up, goal, half time and full time and maybe some sub news, but nothing about what is happening in the game. 

Just to make it even and not that it is against Southampton FC only, it is the half arsed ness across all media to the woman’s game. 

This was off the BBC for results from todays games a few minutes ago. 1 hour 45 minutes after the final whistles 

12F59161-ACA2-43E3-BC63-CDBD65B422BE.png

15 hours ago, Dr Who? said:

Southampton women Facebook page? They don’t have one. The other Southampton women do, and have match commentary as and when on Twitter. 
The main Saints woman’s team get. Line up, goal, half time and full time and maybe some sub news, but nothing about what is happening in the game. 

(1) Southampton FC Women Supporters Group (unaffiliated) | Facebook    Not run by the club-granted and still fairly new but getting better.

2 minutes ago, JRM said:

Good to get the three points, how does that leave the table looking? 

Pos Team P W D L GD PTS
1 Ipswich Town 20 16 3 1 53 51
2 Oxford United 20 15 2 3 43 47
3 Southampton FC 17 14 2 1 57 44
4 Gillingham 21 11 6 4 8 39
5 Bridgwater United 20 11 4 5 24 37
6 Crawley Wasps 19 10 0 9 11 30
7 London Bees 23 9 2 12 -1 29
8 Portsmouth 19 8 4 7 21 28
9 Plymouth Argyle 19 8 0 11 -10 24
10 Cardiff City 21 7 2 12 -15 21 *
11 Milton Keynes Dons 22 5 5 12 -16 20
12 Keynsham Town 21 6 0 15 -57 18
13 Chichester & Selsey 20 4 2 14 -36 14
14 Hounslow 18 0 0 18 -82 0
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Lampwick said:

Still got the play 10 games Including a cup final before the 2nd  May, including Ipswich away and Oxford at home.

Seems like a lot, if we're still in with a chance they can probably rest some players when we play against Hounslow based on that table, poor ladies must be wishing their season was over. 

Gillingham away this weekend looks a tough one. 

20 hours ago, JRM said:

Seems like a lot, if we're still in with a chance they can probably rest some players when we play against Hounslow based on that table, poor ladies must be wishing their season was over. 

Gillingham away this weekend looks a tough one. 

The Ipswich game is going to be huge. I think if we beat them we are right in the driving seat. Lose and it will be tough. Draw and still in our hands. It’s so up and down! But exciting 🤞 

Been following the Ladies team for a while now and my biggest disappointment is we have entered too many cups.

Prority should of been the league and these two matches against Oxford and Ipswich are massive.

Not playing to the high standards of the start of the season but we are trudging along and gaining the 3 points.

7 hours ago, Pilchards said:

Been following the Ladies team for a while now and my biggest disappointment is we have entered too many cups.

Prority should of been the league and these two matches against Oxford and Ipswich are massive.

Not playing to the high standards of the start of the season but we are trudging along and gaining the 3 points.

Heavy pitches have had an effect and there has been a fair amount of squad rotation going on to manage the workload. I'm looking forward to the raft of home matches at the end of the season. The standard of football exceeded my expectations. They are a very enthusiastic and watchable team and Snows stadium is a decent venue.