Southampton FC Women

Dr Who?

On 03/04/2022 at 16:00, The Kraken said:

Great result!

Whats the run in look like? Oxford must be a threat.

Below are the final fixtures. I have included Oxford not only because they have could have a huge say in who wins the league, but also because this is football and IF they beat us and Ipswich they could win the league, no matter how unlikely. 

Also as already mentioned Ipswich have 4 of their final 5 games at home and their only away game on the last day is at Portsmo#th. 

I still believe us and Ipswich will not lose again this season to other teams, but when we go to their place, it will ultimately be the decider, with a draw enough for us. 

Southampton FC Women - Final 6 games. 

Hounslow Women (H) Sun 10th April 14:00

Keynsham Ladies (A) Thurs 14th April 19:45

Plymouth Argyle Women (H) Sun 17th April 14:00

Portsm#uth Women (H) Wed 20th April 14:00

Oxford United Women (H) Wed 27th April 19:45

Cardiff Ladies (H) Sun 1st May 14:00

Ipswich Town Women - Final 4 games

Chichester & Selsey Ladies (H) Sun 10th April 14:00

London Bees (H) Sun 17th April 14:00

Oxford United Women (H) 24th April 14:00

Portsmo#th Women (A) 1st May 14:00

Oxford United Women - Final 5 games 

Bridgwater United Women (A) Sun 10th April 14:00

Hounslow Women (A) Wed 13th April 19:45

Ipswich Town Women (A) Sun 24th April 14:00

Southampton (A) Wed 27th April 19:45

Gillingham (A) Sun 1st May 14:00

Table as today in the link below. But will not be updated until about 6pm. We are 1 point behind 2 in hand. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/womens-premier-league-south/table

Edited by Dr Who?
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Great result!

Whats the run in look like? Oxford must be a threat.

We can afford to draw one of our last 6 and win the rest and we will win the league. Ipswich v Oxford draw would make things even sweeter. I think it is ours now, as that is a huge win today. 

Huge result!

Still very cautious about both the Oxford & Poopey games though! Oxford very dangerous & Poopey will be desperate to put one over on us especially if it means preventing us reaching the play off!

Ideally win the next 4 and then Ipswich v Oxford is a draw, the title will then be ours with 2 to play including Oxford!  (i think)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dr Who? said:

We can afford to draw one of our last 6 and win the rest and we will win the league. Ipswich v Oxford draw would make things even sweeter. I think it is ours now, as that is a huge win today. 

Actually we could afford to lose to Oxford, and we would still win the league if we both win our other games. Technically we could lose one other as well, but it might then be goal difference to decide. All unlikely, I think we will win our remaining 6.

Also looking at Wolves who are looking more and more likely to be playing the winners of our league. They are looking quite handy and the last 3/4 games have had clean sheets, since their shock 3-0 defeat to Burnley. 

looks like the winners of us, Ipswich, Oxford or Wolves will replace Coventry or Watford. 

Edited by Dr Who?

2 hours ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

According to a comment on the Ipswich twitter page we only conceded one shot on target, which was the penalty. 

Which was never a penalty! So not a bad afternoon of work. Seems to be coming together nicely. 

• Like 3

So if there's only one team that can go up (from the north and south divisions), how is that affected by the team that comes down?

For example, Coventry look most likely to be relegated from the league above (presumably they'd be classified as a northern team). If Saints ended up getting promoted, would there be one extra team in the Northern division next season? Or do they somehow shuffle the teams around to make an even distribution in the North and south leagues?

I'm assuming it works in a similar way to the promotion from the men's conference north and south (but I don't actually know how that works either...).

There’s already an extra team in the southern division compared to the northern (14 to 13) so for now it may not be worth worrying about.

If they do decide to even it up, one would think that it’s would work in the same way relegation in the regional men’s leagues works. In previous years, if there has been a disparity of clubs relegated compared to promoted that leaves a regional imbalance, a team from say the south division has moved to the northern division to even it up. It’s typically done based on geography, so a team from the midlands (or as close to) has been the ones to go (though Oxford City and Gloucester have done it previously so it does go further).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jawillwill said:

So if there's only one team that can go up (from the north and south divisions), how is that affected by the team that comes down?

For example, Coventry look most likely to be relegated from the league above (presumably they'd be classified as a northern team). If Saints ended up getting promoted, would there be one extra team in the Northern division next season? Or do they somehow shuffle the teams around to make an even distribution in the North and south leagues?

I'm assuming it works in a similar way to the promotion from the men's conference north and south (but I don't actually know how that works either...).

Isn't it just done the same way as the JPT north and south was, ergo if they have 20 teams then the 10 most northerly are the north division and the 10 most southerly are the south division?

6 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Isn't it just done the same way as the JPT north and south was, ergo if they have 20 teams then the 10 most northerly are the north division and the 10 most southerly are the south division?

I was thinking the same. So it’s the same as the national league when relegated the leagues that the teams go into national north and south shuffle around depending on location. This is something we never really have to think about, but those that our borderline must change from north to south quite a lot. 

8 hours ago, The Kraken said:

There’s already an extra team in the southern division compared to the northern (14 to 13) so for now it may not be worth worrying about.

If they do decide to even it up, one would think that it’s would work in the same way relegation in the regional men’s leagues works. In previous years, if there has been a disparity of clubs relegated compared to promoted that leaves a regional imbalance, a team from say the south division has moved to the northern division to even it up. It’s typically done based on geography, so a team from the midlands (or as close to) has been the ones to go (though Oxford City and Gloucester have done it previously so it does go further).

Sorry did not see this post. But this. 😊 

12 hours ago, jawillwill said:

On this note it should change to one from each and 2 down from the championship. 

I cannot see to much changing tomorrow, apart from us improving our goal difference. But Oxford my lose a couple of points if not all 3 at a in form Bridgwater. 

It’s getting very interesting now. Coyr! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Tighter game than one would expect surely, Hounslow ship goals for fun.

Seems the pressure is maybe getting to all.
I think we have dominated and the floodgates might open. 
Ipswich one down at home at half time.