Southampton FC Women

Dr Who?

Cardiff missed a penalty at 2-0 as well.  We were very comfortable and tbh Cardiff were poor.  Ware POTM for me.

Not sure if it’s been mentioned but travel coaches for the game against Wolves are only £5 for adults, £2.50 concessions and free for under 10s.  Great gesture from Virgin Media as sponsors 

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2022-04-29/ticket-and-travel-details-southampton-fc-vs-wolves-national-league-play-off-2021-22

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

Cardiff missed a penalty at 2-0 as well.  We were very comfortable and tbh Cardiff were poor.  Ware POTM for me.

Not sure if it’s been mentioned but travel coaches for the game against Wolves are only £5 for adults, £2.50 concessions and free for under 10s.  Great gesture from Virgin Media as sponsors 

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2022-04-29/ticket-and-travel-details-southampton-fc-vs-wolves-national-league-play-off-2021-22

Yep, but need to keep posting as it gets lost in the thread. 

There is also the main thread build up. 

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/topic/59319-southampton-fc-women-v-wolverhampton-wanderers-women-saturday-21st-may-2022-3pm-ko/

Edited by Dr Who?
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Dr Who? said:

If we get promoted, we will replace Watford in the championship, as Coventry scored in the 97th minute against them so they stayed up and sent Watford down. 

Decent goal as well 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

As an aside - saw something on FB earlier Newcastle ladies played Alnwick at St James park in Division One North, they had 22,000 in attendance!!!

Yes amazing. Now that is support. Like Barca women having 80k! The woman's game is growing but it needs marketing and to be taken seriously by all clubs. I mean seriously, not half arsed as they feel they need to be looking like they are doing something. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to get all talk on the woman’s team back in here. 

Still celebrating the promotion yesterday, but talk about pro, semi pro, fixtures, signings and really getting ready for life in the championship. 

I would personally like us to take the leap for paying £20/£25k a week on the woman’s squad, so we really are going full time and serious about the woman’s team. I think this will happen over the coming weeks. 

57D646C9-2CA7-44A2-84F0-B5DE48AEF9A9.jpeg

• Like 1

I have just written to the FA as well as the set up as it is, does not offer to much and for competition sake it needs to be reviewed I think. Of course if they do take notice of my ramblings and we finish 2nd from bottom next season, you can all blame me! 

Let me know your thoughts. 

E1B18FFC-8DFD-4604-BD7B-AACD1BDB9882.png

A1D66012-C8CC-4DB1-B443-1F48E31DF6A1.jpeg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dr Who? said:

I have just written to the FA as well as the set up as it is, does not offer to much and for competition sake it needs to be reviewed I think. Of course if they do take notice of my ramblings and we finish 2nd from bottom next season, you can all blame me! 

Let me know your thoughts. 

E1B18FFC-8DFD-4604-BD7B-AACD1BDB9882.png

A1D66012-C8CC-4DB1-B443-1F48E31DF6A1.jpeg

I think this is wholly sensible. Really ever so glad we won and got promoted, but think about if we lost and had to basically do the same thing all over again, just to be in another play-off. As you say, Wolves won so many games this year, and clearly are a Championship level club, if not very close. 

Hopefully a fairer structure can be put in place over the coming years, to help those clubs further down the ladder too.

Will be interesting to see what changes this brings about though, as it is a major game changer. 

You will now have these women who were playing and had day jobs, whether this is student, part time worker, full time worker, low earner, high earner, mother, or shelf employed, and then all of a sudden this is your job. 

So there will be loads of factors that each one of them need to think about. What is their career, and can they earn more from football, which is a short career. Their age, where are they on their career ladder on and off the pitch. What is the potential on the pitch, was last season realistically their height. What are Southampton FC’s ambitions and aspirations. Do they see themselves in the WSL and challenging for Europe? The individual players potential, do they think they could already earn more at a higher level, are other clubs after them? We already have a keeper who could play in the top flight. 

So it really is a game changer and reflects the mens game, but on a much lower scale. It will be about your own worth on the pitch, and at this stage does this out way the career path? 

This will only be a problem for a short amount of time, because down the line players will know they are wanting to play professional football. So right from development they will be looking to make it to the top and top earners or ambitious clubs. They will know early on if they are making the grade, again reflecting the mens game. It will become the career choice and you study along side it, and if you don’t make it, you follow another career. But for the here and now it is going to be tough, because some will not make the grade and others will come in. 

I am sure some will cherish the moments from the season just gone and carry on with a career outside of football, but play at a lower level. We have another Southampton team just a couple of leagues lower. Again like the mens game. You can have a career outside of football and still enjoy playing at an amateur level. 

It has been a truly amazing 12 months since we entered the league, and got promoted at the first time of asking, with a wonderful group of women. The future is very bright, but it also get serious. I for one cannot wait for the next season. 

Edited by Dr Who?
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, Dr Who? said:

Will be interesting to see what changes this brings about though, as it is a major game changer. 

You will now have these women who were playing and had day jobs, whether this is student, part time worker, full time worker, low earner, high earner, mother, or shelf employed, and then all of a sudden this is your job. 

So there will be loads of factors that each one of them need to think about. What is their career, and can they earn more from football, which is a short career. Their age, where are they on their career ladder on and off the pitch. What is the potential on the pitch, was last season realistically their height. What are Southampton FC’s ambitions and aspirations. Do they see themselves in the WSL and challenging for Europe? The individual players potential, do they think they could already earn more at a higher level, are other clubs after them? We already have a keeper who could play in the top flight. 

So it really is a game changer and reflects the mens game, but on a much lower scale. It will be about your own worth on the pitch, and at this stage does this out way the career path? 

This will only be a problem for a short amount of time, because down the line players will know they are wanting to play professional football. So right from development they will be looking to make it to the top and top earners or ambitious clubs. They will know early on if they are making the grade, again reflecting the mens game. It will become the career choice and you study along side it, and if you don’t make it, you follow another career. But for the here and now it is going to be tough, because some will not make the grade and others will come in. 

I am sure some will cherish the moments from the season just gone and carry on with a career outside of football, but play at a lower level. We have another Southampton team just a couple of leagues lower. Again like the mens game. You can have a career outside of football and still enjoy playing at an amateur level. 

It has been a truly amazing 12 months since we entered the league, and got promoted at the first time of asking, with a wonderful group of women. The future is very bright, but it also get serious. I for one cannot wait for the next season. 

You’d have thought with the calibre of manager we have invested in, there was a strategy in place for this eventuality. 
With Sport Republic being knocked back on acquiring a couple of clubs already you can presume that there is some decent finance to hand. Having a womens football team operating at a professional level adds to the portfolio when going after other clubs.

Ok.. them too. 😉

But your point about professionalism and development is an interesting one. It hasn't been worth investing too much personal capital and effort in football as the returns have never been there, nor the support, whether in professional coaches or other support, so that you can do extra training and not get a Saturday job, for example.

None of this applies to me:  I never even had a volunteer coach until I was about 46/7, but having never been very blessed with coordination or sporting ability at least I don't think I've missed the opportunity. Still love training and playing though, and seeing the opportunities now brings a great smile to my face.

Whilst I'm here: team in the Havant area looking for players and particularly a keeper as ours is off to uni.. Contact me!

On 26/05/2022 at 10:23, The Kraken said:

Blimey. That’s a huge step that the club have taken, fair play.

Is it? You have to be full pro in the Championship. Would have been planned all along. Most of the first team players are I believe already full time, in that they work for the Foundation, they are not amateurs. Don't get me wrong, not knocking it, just being down to earth, had to happen and isn't a huge change.

1 minute ago, VectisSaint said:

Is it? You have to be full pro in the Championship. Would have been planned all along. Most of the first team players are I believe already full time, in that they work for the Foundation, they are not amateurs. Don't get me wrong, not knocking it, just being down to earth, had to happen and isn't a huge change.

You don't have to be full pro, you have to be at least part time. From what I understand the league we were just in allows teams to be amateur. 

8 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

No you don’t. You do in the WSL.  I looked into this just recently and, from what I could tell, most of the clubs in the Championship are semi pro. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

But you are wrong!

3 hours ago, The Kraken said:

No you don’t. You do in the WSL.  I looked into this just recently and, from what I could tell, most of the clubs in the Championship are semi pro. 

Correct. I believe most of our team work, and now face the dilemma of choosing football as a career or working and playing at a lower level. 

3 hours ago, suewhistle said:

Judging by their age surely some must be at school or are students?

Just remembered that Stevie Heighway of Liverpool was a university student when he first played for them.. A friend's son started refereeing/lineing when he was at sixth form college following a taster day: I'd have been happy at uni with £40 plus expenses a match to see me through college, although higher level players wouldn't be able to manage two games over the weekend!

Flppancy aside, is the choice been football and another career that difficult? I always demur at the argument that footballers need to be paid so much because their career is so short. Most of us will have to change career or retrain or do CPD during our working life. So the dilemma Dr Who? talks about may not be a major issue depending on the salaries offered and the potential alternatives in each individual case.

Either way, interesting times ahead..

58 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

Flppancy aside, is the choice been football and another career that difficult? 

Yes, it’s potentially a massively difficult decision. We don’t know how much the individual terms are but, at this level and the level of funding available to such a small group of personnel of footballers, it’s definitely a difficult choice to make.

For example….Chloe Morgan plays for Crystal Palace in the Championship. She is a personal injury lawyer, a solicitor. Her day job would likely earn her more money and definitely much more future opportunities than a career in football.

From what I gather a number of our players are either students or recent grads. They have a whole career ahead of them in whatever field they studied in. As such they may well have an extremely difficult decision to make. Football is the glamour but, outside of the elite clubs and the top top players, it’s a risk to take.

It is not flippant to suggest that a full time pro contract may not be in everyone’s interests.

Nah, the flippancy was me talking about Heighway et al. I agree on the difficulty of the decision, particularly if you took a more vocational subject where you'd want to use it as soon as possible. I come from a period where there were things called grants (!) and did history at Southampton before joining an essentially random large company, unencumbered with student debt. I appreciate it is different now.

Further in to your twenties the decision gets more difficult, but I suppose my attitude is based on the fact that jobs for life have gone. In my forties leaving IT was a blessed relief from boredom but it did involve a very drastic reduction in income, and in my twenties I wouldn't have coped so well.

One thing that I have picked up over the years with the Academy set up, there is a concerted effort to give the boys some level of education and life skills. Just to ensure that should the dream end they know much more than football and can have a “normal life and job”. I would imagine there will be a lot of welfare conversations with the ladies to ensure it’s the right thing for them. 

On 27/05/2022 at 14:54, The Kraken said:

Yep, got that wrong. But it looks like the majority of the teams in the Championship are "full-time" not semi-pro. It is probably true that teams need to be full-time if they want to be successful, if success is measured by promotion to the WSL. Southampton were always aiming for the WSL, and to get there you have to be full-time, it is a requirement. So going full-time was always in the plan. But you also need to look at what "full-time" means. The definition appears to be a minimum of 16 hours pw paid employment, that's a very low definition, of course we have no idea how much our players will get (hours-wise) or how many of them (presumably the entire 1st team squad). Semi-pro definition is 8 hours by the way. As I said before, I'm not knocking it, but it is not as big a deal as it appears, many of the players work a lot of hours for the Saints Foundation, and many are in full-time education. I don't believe there is enough money in the game at this level where players can have a lucrative career, and many would earn more in other jobs, especially if they are only being paid for a 16 hour week - that is part time in any other walk of life. I imagine a few will not take the step up to the Championship, but I hope they all do.

• Like 1

Semi-pro definition is 8 hours by the way.

Ooo, so I must have been semi-pro then when I played in Italy! Training twice a week and away matches were at least an hour away and up to 3+ on occasions. Plus of course I kept myself fit by going running etc. Just without any pay but at least no subs to pay either!

11 hours ago, suewhistle said:

Ooo, so I must have been semi-pro then when I played in Italy! Training twice a week and away matches were at least an hour away and up to 3+ on occasions. Plus of course I kept myself fit by going running etc. Just without any pay but at least no subs to pay either!

Yep and me at Bishopstoke 😁 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just seen the list and that's quite a few players. Obviously we aren't paying enough for some of them to go full time, with all the considerations posted further up thread.

Only 13 on the retained list, so it will be interesting to see how we recruit.

Sara Luce is a keeper. My team so need a keeper, but I doubt she'd want to troll around Hants Div 3... shame.:-)

51 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

Just seen the list and that's quite a few players. Obviously we aren't paying enough for some of them to go full time, with all the considerations posted further up thread.

Only 13 on the retained list, so it will be interesting to see how we recruit.

Sara Luce is a keeper. My team so need a keeper, but I doubt she'd want to troll around Hants Div 3... shame.:-)

Yeah, even with a competative full time salary at this level, there are other, longer term considerations to be made.

A couple may have another club lined up, and we just couldn't keep them.

EDIT: Our move to full time may mean we can offer a step up to the best of the league we left. And depending on the finances involved prove attractive to others in our league, or even above. Of course, any success means fending off "bigger" clubs too.

Edited by Holmes_and_Watson
  • Like 1