Southampton FC Women

Dr Who?

Unbeaten in the league since the first game, and third in the table level on points with second. The rise up the leagues and the excitement of the wins reminds me of the men's rise through league 1 and championship, with some players staying with us through the rise. 

Next weekend is Reading in the cup, who have only won once in the WSL and play Liverpool on Thursday! Hopefully a Sunday afternoon game at St Marys will be well attended.

2 minutes ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

Unbeaten in the league since the first game, and third in the table level on points with second. The rise up the leagues and the excitement of the wins reminds me of the men's rise through league 1 and championship, with some players staying with us through the rise. 

Next weekend is Reading in the cup, who have only won once in the WSL and play Liverpool on Thursday! Hopefully a Sunday afternoon game at St Marys will be well attended.

Where are they in the league? It’d be great to get into the WSL

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Where are they in the league? It’d be great to get into the WSL

Reading are 11th in a 12 team league, on 3 points, with Leicester bottom on 0 (from 8 games). Reading play Liverpool on Thursday, so 3 days before us, and Liverpool are only one point above them, so will be a game they're really up for., so we may play some tired legs, or squad players on Sunday.

Not sure about promotion, it's the classic thing of is it better to be in the higher league but lose more games, or be in the lower league winning more games. Selfishly as a fan I'd rather see us win more games, than get thrashed by the top teams every week.

6 hours ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

Reading are 11th in a 12 team league, on 3 points, with Leicester bottom on 0 (from 8 games). Reading play Liverpool on Thursday, so 3 days before us, and Liverpool are only one point above them, so will be a game they're really up for., so we may play some tired legs, or squad players on Sunday.

Not sure about promotion, it's the classic thing of is it better to be in the higher league but lose more games, or be in the lower league winning more games. Selfishly as a fan I'd rather see us win more games, than get thrashed by the top teams every week.

Be good to see us on Sky regularly though 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, JRM said:

Looks like they're not taking this league Cup competition too seriously based on results

Definitely a second eleven that played yesterday, getting them some game time to try and keep the squad fresh.

Never really looked like troubling Reading, we played Freeland up front on her own and she was very isolated. Thought Lloyd-Smith and Wynne looked effective out wide, but they were all over us in the midfield for the whole game. 

On 06/12/2022 at 13:33, The Left Back said:

Anyone else going to the cup game v spurs?  The club offered me a free ticket so was enticed to make my debut supporting them at St. Marys on 18th.  Looking forward to it.

Thought about taking the kids with free tickets but don't think I'll bother,  it's in the "Continental league Cup group stage", a competition the club have shown little interest in, playing a weakened side and losing already to Coventry United (0-2) and Reading (0-3) so not even sure if we have any chance of progressing and would likely lose in the freezing cold so not the best occasion to get the kids interest going. 

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Team are stuttering bit of late, looks likely they have found their level at last and it's going to get a whole lot tougher moving forward. Guess standards everywhere are improving as the women's game enjoys ever increasing popularity. It may be a race to keep up from now on.

Was always going to be tough at this level. Having said that we are just two points from the top and have only lost one game in ten. Being out of the FA cup might not be a bad thing

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Team are stuttering bit of late, looks likely they have found their level at last and it's going to get a whole lot tougher moving forward. Guess standards everywhere are improving as the women's game enjoys ever increasing popularity. It may be a race to keep up from now on.

I think they are doing unbelievably well. Tied for 3rd, just two pts out of first. They seem to have just decided to focus on the league and not these cup matches.

• Like 3

On 12/12/2022 at 11:53, Charlie Wayman said:

I don't think they are stuttering as such, bear in mind the Bristol game was a cup match, not in the League. In the League we are unbeaten in the last 5 (at least), the issue they have it seems (from not watching the games in detail) is that we can't score enough goals. We seem to be very good defensively, but if you can't score 2 or more goals in a match you are going to struggle to get 3 points. The whole league has become very low scoring, having an effective strike force is the difference (now where have I heard that before). 2 points off the leaders after 10 games is really an excellent performance given where we came from.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Final score, Saints 0 - 1 Lewes. Almost 100 minutes played in total, both teams absolutely shattered dropping to the floor at FT. Saints deserved something from the game but showed a bit of naivety I think, giving away cheap fouls, making it easy for Lewes to time-waste (not standing near the keeper when she has the ball in her hands).

Not ruthless enough at this level, I'd suggest. Had some great results in that run before the break, but most were by the odd goal which gives you such fine margins. Today felt a bit sluggish for the most part, against a side who weren't especially ambitious in attack and scored with basically their only real chance in the first half, we just didn't move the ball quickly enough, whether that was through quicker passing or simply dribbling at/past the Lewes players. Everything was in front of their defence which just made it too easy for them.

Hopefully this is one of those reality check results to keep feet on the ground - Mrs JBS mentioned after watching all our game, and having watched Arsenal v Chelsea based on those 2 games in isolation the gulf in performance was huge. 

She did utter one positive, that our ability to step across the player and steal the ball almost at will is still quite remarkable  

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Maybe we should organise a weekend where as many people as possible boycott the men's game and go to the women's game instead as a protest against Jones and the way SR are running the men's side. 

What exactly would we be protesting regarding Sports Republic? They've spent loads of money. They've made a mistake with Jones but they will obviously be sacking him soon abd hopefully they will be more careful next time. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

What exactly would we be protesting regarding Sports Republic? They've spent loads of money. They've made a mistake with Jones but they will obviously be sacking him soon abd hopefully they will be more careful next time. 

Obviously only if they don't sack Jones.