Southampton FC Women

Dr Who?

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

Blank screen for me 😶

You ballsed this right up. I'm editing it back. 

FA player keeps asking me to sign in to watch, even though i'm already signed in. Maybe it comes on bang on kick off?

Edited by Saint_clark
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Flock of pigeons absolutely shits itself on the pitch when the ball gets shot through.  

The pigeons annoyed me today. Thoroughly got to me and shouldn't have been on the pitch.

We do it right down here, we have pigeon shooters.

Edited by Master Bates

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

Lost 1-0 at home to top placed Bristol City.  We seem to be really struggling to score at the moment...

Been a problem all season, 16 goals in 18 games, no goals in last 4 WSL games now. Mathematically now out of promotion chance, though it was a long shot before.

2 hours ago, sad saints fan said:

I was at the game , nothing to choose between the teams really . I think not getting promoted again is probably a blessing in disguise ,another year in the championship is probably needed.

Such a weird division, 12 teams, the prize is the same for 2nd and 11th. Seasons been over for a while for most of the teams. 

Hopefully the women's team are self sustainable now so won't rely on funding if the mens team are relegated 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JRM said:

Such a weird division, 12 teams, the prize is the same for 2nd and 11th. Seasons been over for a while for most of the teams. 

Hopefully the women's team are self sustainable now so won't rely on funding if the mens team are relegated 

They did commit to continuing to finance the women's setup at that fans forum, tbf.

The women's game does seem to suffer from a hell of a lot of dead rubbers from quite an early stage of the season - I get that with the huge budget disparity within single divisions, you'll end up with some lopsided tables at times, but they've surely got to have more teams shifting up and down each year. There are still 20% of all the games to play in the Championship, and yet there's really only two teams with anything realistically to play for. Coventry are just about still alive at the bottom but having lost 16 of their 18 games, it seems far-fetched to suggest they'll win all their remaining 4 to have a chance of staying up. If it was two down to the National League, three additional teams would still be involved right now, and if it was two up to the Super League, perhaps with one automatic and then a 4-team playoff, the season is actually still alive for everyone.

3 hours ago, Barry Horne said:

Great to see Kayla Wendell and Ella Morris be called up to England U23's.  Both have been with Saints from a very young age and still only 19 so a promising career ahead

Didn't realise Rendell was so young (google says 21). We've had a couple of other keepers around the squad this year with much more experience and she's kept them out of the first 11. Our scouting a couple of years back seems to have been very impressive with those two, Kendall, Griffiths and Collett.

• 3 weeks later...

4-0 win for the girls today against bottom of the league Coventry. Looking at the league, Saints have an excellent defensive record - only 14 conceded in 21 games, and only Bristol City who are top have a better record. Nobody else has conceded less than 20. Scoring goals is a real issue though...only 22 scored, only three teams have scored less including the two bottom of the league. From what i've seen I think this is down to creating chances rather than finishing them, but someone who's watched them more regularly could correct me on that. Think we should be looking to improve the midfield next season with this in mind, the defence is solid and we have some good finishers up top. 

I don't think we're far away from having a side that should achieve promotion. That defensive record is good enough, only really need an extra 5-10 goals somewhere in the team to change a few draws to wins and losses to draws. 

Edited by Saint_clark

2 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

4-0 win for the girls today against bottom of the league Coventry. Looking at the league, Saints have an excellent defensive record - only 14 conceded in 21 games, and only Bristol City who are top have a better record. Nobody else has conceded less than 20. Scoring goals is a real issue though...only 22 scored, only three teams have scored less including the two bottom of the league. From what i've seen I think this is down to creating chances rather than finishing them, but someone who's watched them more regularly could correct me on that. Think we should be looking to improve the midfield next season with this in mind, the defence is solid and we have some good finishers up top. 

I don't think we're far away from having a side that should achieve promotion. That defensive record is good enough, only really need an extra 5-10 goals somewhere in the team to change a few draws to wins and losses to draws.  

Pleased for them, glad to hear of some success at the club.

Providing the women and Goztepe are going well Martin and Rasmus can point to a successful season. 

• 3 weeks later...

We've announced our retained player list; leaving are Georgie Freeland, Phoebe Williams, Ella Pusey, Beth Lumsden

Some staple names from the first 11 and bench this season, hopefully they all find teams and carry on playing.

Look forward to seeing our plans to replace them, particularly Pusey who still looked our best striker at points this season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

We've announced our retained player list; leaving are Georgie Freeland, Phoebe Williams, Ella Pusey, Beth Lumsden

Some staple names from the first 11 and bench this season, hopefully they all find teams and carry on playing.

Look forward to seeing our plans to replace them, particularly Pusey who still looked our best striker at points this season.

With Pusey and Lumsden both leaving, got to assume there'll be strikers incoming. Defence was absolutely fine all season, goalscoring was the very obvious problem that needs solving if there's to be any sort of promotion push.

Also interesting that Leeta Rutherford and Ciara Watling aren't on either retained or released list, neither have featured for some time now... 🤔

Big game in the WSL at the weekend, Spurs v Reading - if Reading win, they go level with Spurs and it would mean there's a point separating the bottom 3 (Leicester also down there). As funny as it would be for Spurs to get relegated (having spent £250k signing Beth England from Chelsea in January), it would probably be disastrous for the Championship as their resources would probably see them run away with the league, leaving the rest with not much to play for.

2 hours ago, stevegrant said:

With Pusey and Lumsden both leaving, got to assume there'll be strikers incoming. Defence was absolutely fine all season, goalscoring was the very obvious problem that needs solving if there's to be any sort of promotion push.

Also interesting that Leeta Rutherford and Ciara Watling aren't on either retained or released list, neither have featured for some time now... 🤔

Big game in the WSL at the weekend, Spurs v Reading - if Reading win, they go level with Spurs and it would mean there's a point separating the bottom 3 (Leicester also down there). As funny as it would be for Spurs to get relegated (having spent £250k signing Beth England from Chelsea in January), it would probably be disastrous for the Championship as their resources would probably see them run away with the league, leaving the rest with not much to play for.

Despite the inconvenience of them being in the Championship - it would also totally obliterate Levy’s proposal for WSL to be a closed league with no relegation or promotions.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, stevegrant said:

They did issue an amendment yesterday to say that Watling and the club agreed to mutually end her contract. Shame as she was the fittest player IMO.

• 1 month later...

Georgie Freeland has signed for Pompey now, a drop back to semi-pro but hopefully the right step for her to get more minutes.

Haven't seen anything to suggest that Pusey or Williams have been signed yet.

Watling announced not long ago that she's pregnant so she might not sign with a new team until she's had the baby and recovered.

15 minutes ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

Georgie Freeland has signed for Pompey now, a drop back to semi-pro but hopefully the right step for her to get more minutes.

Haven't seen anything to suggest that Pusey or Williams have been signed yet.

Watling announced not long ago that she's pregnant so she might not sign with a new team until she's had the baby and recovered.

Would be a shame if the team starts to break up now, a solid majority of this squad have played together since a young age for the club. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some good signings this window, clearly an intention to step up. Looks like we've signed two new strikers (Dean and Kraft) and two midfielders (Peplow and Pike). International experience (at senior and junior levels) and WSL experience too.

According to the website we have a friendly on Sunday away at Forest, will be interesting to see how we line up (if we get any updates).

And to maybe peak some more fans' interest, Pike is most certainly easy on the eyes

• 4 weeks later...
I've been following Southampton FC Women closely for two seasons now. I love it, but it's still incredibly difficult to follow for lack of basic info/coverage. I figured many other fans are curious, but haven't made a connection for this reason.

So I wrote a Saints FC Women 101.

I start with the very, very basics: where they play, what league they're in and a two paragraph history. Then I profile the squad, give a rough tactical guide, a quick review of last season, new signings, their prospects for the next. The idea being, you can become a reasonably informed fan in like 10 mins. Was really fun, learnt so much by writing it.

Plan to do one every summer.

https://www.statemarys.com/p/a-beginners-guide-to-southampton-fc-women?r=h1f2m&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

• Like 7

On 15/07/2023 at 15:58, The Cat said:

A little feature in the latest issue of WSC on Southampton Women. Thought some fans of the team might like to see it.

IMG20230715155527.jpg

My former P.E. teacher at Applemore School in the 1980s. She took us for football and was superb, running rings around the 'so-called' players in our year. She never once revealed her past. We never knew she was a former England international. Inspirational. Another former player sadly suffering from Dementia. 

10 hours ago, Charlie Mealings said:
I've been following Southampton FC Women closely for two seasons now. I love it, but it's still incredibly difficult to follow for lack of basic info/coverage. I figured many other fans are curious, but haven't made a connection for this reason.

I start with the very, very basics: where they play, what league they're in and a two paragraph history. Then I profile the squad, give a rough tactical guide, a quick review of last season, new signings, their prospects for the next. The idea being, you can become a reasonably informed fan in like 10 mins. Was really fun, learnt so much by writing it.

https://www.statemarys.com/p/a-beginners-guide-to-southampton-fc-women?r=h1f2m&utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

Cheers for making the effort to put that together - Given the success of the Lionesses you would think the club might have pushed the Women's team info out there a little bit more to get more bums on seats.

I had forgotten how young Milly Mott was, in National League South she certainly played beyond her years. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Charlie Mealings said:

Brilliant piece, really helpful guide that. I've always found the most frustrating thing about the women's coverage is that the club never posted the teamsheet in order of position, only every numerically, so you could never really tell who was doing what in games you didn't attend.

Helpfully, they did post it positionally this weekend, and unhelpfully for you they played a back 5! They played Collett and Purfield as wing backs, with Mott tucked in as a third centre back (with Peake and Parnell). We then played Griffiths, Peplow and Kendall as a midfield three, with Wilkinson and LLS up top. Neither Dean or Kraft got on the pitch so not sure if they're still being integrated into the team

20 hours ago, Charlie Mealings said:

The like button wasn't really enough for the effort put into your post. Thanks for that.

• 2 weeks later...