Southampton FC Women

Dr Who?

Yes, there's never really been a professional women's game to attract those looking at it as a reasonably lucrative career, whereas it always has been for boys, particularly the less acadamic. We've all observed the lads  coming up through the ranks at Saints as at many clubs, and some you think wouldn't have too many alternative well-paid career options open to them.

26 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

Do we need to have all players on pro contracts now?  Just wondering whether some could have been retained on semi-pro if that was their preference?  Losing Ware in particular seems a big blow.

Offered a better deal elsewhere I believe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr Who? said:

Good god, good question. 93/94? Scored a hat trick on my debut. 

May well of played in the same team.

Played for Bishopstoke for years over a few spells along with Pirelli, AC Delco and Eastleigh.

Rich Coakley must of been manager at that time I think (legend)

Thinking back of forwards around then Stu Vickers, Nick Goater, Lil Taylor.

Had a cracking side at times with Matt Targett (snr) Alec Baird, Mark Evans. 

Edited by northam soul
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Monk said:

Offered a better deal elsewhere I believe.

This was always the worry as well having a squad full of semi pros. Having watched a fair bit of WSL and Saints women team, I'd say the majority of our players could cut it at the top, so they'd have made cheap, easy pickings for higher clubs. 

On 17/06/2022 at 16:32, northam soul said:

May well of played in the same team.

Played for Bishopstoke for years over a few spells along with Pirelli, AC Delco and Eastleigh.

Rich Coakley must of been manager at that time I think (legend)

Thinking back of forwards around then Stu Vickers, Nick Goater, Lil Taylor.

Had a cracking side at times with Matt Targett (snr) Alec Baird, Mark Evans. 

Wow 😮 I only played a few games that season due to a knee injury. I signed as one of my housemates was assistant manager Steve Dunford. Played on my debut and scored a hat trick and then played 3/4 afterward, but picked up and injury then moved to Guildford and played for Guildford at Woodbridge. Might have been 93/94 or 94/95 season at Bishopstoke, but like I say a very short spell on trial. 

I had a few games at Pirelli and then I went back to Southampton in 2001 for 5 years and worked for them. But have not played since my Guildford days 95/98

Edited by Dr Who?

12 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

This was always the worry as well having a squad full of semi pros. Having watched a fair bit of WSL and Saints women team, I'd say the majority of our players could cut it at the top, so they'd have made cheap, easy pickings for higher clubs. 

I’m not sure about this. Even though we did beat Bristol City in the cup last season, they were much better than us throughout the game. Don’t get me wrong we have some really good players, but I only think a couple that could cut it in the WSL. I think is more to do with picking your career over football, as they will not be paid much and it is a short and unpredictable career. If they choose a career professionally out of football, they can still play at a lower level locally. I don’t think any of our players will be snapped up by WSL teams. 

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, negium said:

Heard a rumour today that the ladies matches are all being moved to St marys next season

Just been reliably informed that this rumour has no foundation and that the floodlight work necessary to meet  the grading requirements for not just Championship but WSL has been completed and funded by Saints. 

• Like 1

I did write to them just after the playoff final, as I did think it was ridiculous that Wolves did not get promoted after losing 1 game all season. I doubt it made them rethink, but every little… 

04BDA0EA-42FF-495B-921F-078BBD6E8979.png

3D375360-4E40-43D3-8DDF-D5AF624B8697.jpeg

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, negium said:

Coventry United are having to go part time next season to keep them afloat. Means they will likely be cutting loose their captain cos they can't afford her wages. Opportunity for us maybe?

Personally would go part time with the women's as well, get more much needed extra funds into the first team.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Personally would go part time with the women's as well, get more much needed extra funds into the first team.

They've literally just gone full time, it's not going to happen. 

Also, how much do you think they are paying these girls? Let's be generous and say they're paying them £30,000 a year - unlikely, but let's take that - that means over a squad of 25 we are paying £750,000 a year to the women's, which works out at under £15,000 a week. So 15% of the wages we saved by letting Forster go have gone towards funding the women's team. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Also, how much do you think they are paying these girls? Let's be generous and say they're paying them £30,000 a year - unlikely, but let's take that - that means over a squad of 25 we are paying £750,000 a year to the women's, which works out at under £15,000 a week. So 15% of the wages we saved by letting Forster go have gone towards funding the women's team. 

Its ok I skim read it first time, but I just looked at it again and he meant to sign the captain rather than go part time.

15k a week anyway...could have kept two of our bright youngsters on that wage instead of going to Newcastle...would rather that ;)

1 hour ago, skintsaint said:

15k a week anyway...could have kept two of our bright youngsters on that wage instead of going to Newcastle...would rather that ;)

But then, all the youth players would want at least the same. "We'll, if you don't think I'm as good as Dibling, I'll be off then," they'll say. Or probably get their agent to say, who they've had since they were 6, to fend off grasping clubs.

Instead of chucking money away in fear of missing out on any talent going,  I think it's better to instead support the women's team, giving all Saints teams the best, sustainable chance of success.

• Like 2

On 01/07/2022 at 03:25, Saint_clark said:

You can knock off a 3rd of your £30k and you'll be around what the top earners will be on

30 minutes ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

Interesting that they’ve announced the preseason friendlies but no new signings as of yet 

Pretty sure for the most part they'll just be filling the gaps in the squad with girls from the academy, the reserves did the treble last season too.

I wonder if Saints will be scouting during the Euros, and whether they can afford to pay enough anyway? Look out for the promising youngsters then..

Off to the pub shortly to watch tonight's game. I'm sure they will be showing it and hopefully will get a seat. I'm off to the game at St. Mary's tomorrow so I'll have to support Norn Ireland and hope Rafferty gets some minutes.

On 02/07/2022 at 11:17, Saint_clark said:

Pretty sure for the most part they'll just be filling the gaps in the squad with girls from the academy, the reserves did the treble last season too.

Paige Peake centre back from Ipswich signs on a three year contract

SOUTHAMPTON, ENGLAND - JULY 01: Paige Peake signing a new contract with Southampton FC Women's photographed at Staplewood Training Ground on July 01, 2022 in Southampton, England. (Photo by Isabelle Field/Southampton FC via Getty Images)

Edited by Lampwick

10 hours ago, jawillwill said:

Looks like Saints have realised that the top couple of teams from the tier below are of a good enough standard to compete competitively in the Championship.  Wonder if we are eyeing any of the Wolves team too...?

I doubt it, having watched the final Wolves were massively below where we were quality and fitness wise. I don't think they were even professional, I think they were still technically an amateur side. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well done Southampton Football Club. All the woman’s championship games will be played at the home of Southampton Football at St Mary’s Stadium 👏 👏 👏. Well we are all as one #WeMarchOn. ❤️🤍❤️🤍 ️ 

Of course it is provisional, so make sure you get yourself along, or even better get yourself a season ticket. If the crowds don’t come then it will be back to Totton FC.

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2022-07-27/st-marys-womens-fixtures-provisionally-released-july-2022