Southampton FC Women

Dr Who?

12 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

Well done Southampton Football Club. All the woman’s championship games will be played at the home of Southampton Football at St Mary’s Stadium 👏 👏 👏. Well we are all as one #WeMarchOn. ❤️🤍❤️🤍 ️ 

Of course it is provisional, so make sure you get yourself along, or even better get yourself a season ticket. If the crowds don’t come then it will be back to Totton FC.

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2022-07-27/st-marys-womens-fixtures-provisionally-released-july-2022

Womens games are Sundays, so I wonder what happens if saints are playing at home on a Sunday. Game moved to Totton or game date moved.

1 hour ago, Dr Who? said:

Well done Southampton Football Club. All the woman’s championship games will be played at the home of Southampton Football at St Mary’s Stadium 👏 👏 👏. Well we are all as one #WeMarchOn. ❤️🤍❤️🤍 ️ 

Of course it is provisional, so make sure you get yourself along, or even better get yourself a season ticket. If the crowds don’t come then it will be back to Totton FC.

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2022-07-27/st-marys-womens-fixtures-provisionally-released-july-2022

I can't see crowds staying consistently high at St Mary's once novelty wears off, just my opinion but better to try to get 800-1000 at Totton and feel quite full than have 1500 at St Mary's in a soulless empty ground , I'm sure they'll like using the Premier league changing rooms etc though. 

Sod the changing rooms, any player would love to play on that surface!

It'll be interesting to see how many they get. One of the biggest issues is that one of the biggest groups who'd like to watch are playing amateur football themselves on a Sunday. I'll try and make the odd game depending on my other commitments.

• Like 1

Tbh this makes me a fair bit less likely to go watch them… Really enjoyed it at a smaller ground where you can wander around and pick your spot to watch from. Add in that attendances will likely be very low compared to St Mary’s capacity and it doesn’t sound like the best fan experience for me, more of a PR stunt.  I guess on the flip side some players will be swayed to sign for us by the opportunity to play in our stadium every week.  

• 3 weeks later...

Big kick off tomorrow. 

Saints v Charlton at St Mary’s Stadium 12:30pm. 

If you cannot get along then you can watch it live on FA Player. You can watch every game live on here, but if you can, as I would, get along to watch them live at home and show your support for Southampton. 

E6776F39-DC03-4B6A-BEF9-842B6633AB6A.png

Edited by Dr Who?

13 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

From my seat it looked a very generous penalty - thought she fell over her own feet and the ref bought it.

Happy to be corrected 

One thing of note from my lofty perch in the Itchen the Euros and the hot weather look to have taken its toll on the pitch.

Yeah I noticed watching last week that the pitch is the worst I’ve seen it at st Mary’s, very brown and a bit bare in places.

12 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

From my seat it looked a very generous penalty - thought she fell over her own feet and the ref bought it.

Happy to be corrected 

One thing of note from my lofty perch in the Itchen the Euros and the hot weather look to have taken its toll on the pitch.

2 0 to Charlton. My son is at the match and said the same about the pitch condition.

Full time 0-2

Charlton looked a lot sharper and we’re the better team, but after the penalty save that could have made it 0-3, we had a couple of really good chances to make it 2-1, which might have made it interesting. 

We have made a lot of changes over the summer and it is always going to take time for the team to gel, as well as getting used to this level. 

Charlton are one of the favourites for the league, but we will need to improve on that performance, I think this season could be a reality check, but hopeful for a mid table finish rather than fighting relegation.

Att - 2,444

Edited by Dr Who?
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr Who? said:

Full time 0-2

Charlton looked a lot sharper and we’re the better team, but after the penalty save that could have made it 0-3, we had a couple of really good chances to make it 2-1, which might have made it interesting. 

We have made a lot of changes over the summer and it is always going to take time for the team to gel, as well as getting used to this level. 

Charlton are one of the favourites for the league, but we will need to improve on that performance, I think this season could be a reality check, but hopeful for a mid table finish rather than fighting relegation.

Att - 2,444

We lost a lot of talented players with the move to full time. 

28 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

We lost a lot of talented players with the move to full time. 

To be fair, we have gained a lot of experience at championship level from the signings over the summer, and I guess we will never know how good those players who have left would have been. I’m not going to say they would not have made the cut, but it is a completely different level now. 

3 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

To be fair, we have gained a lot of experience at championship level from the signings over the summer, and I guess we will never know how good those players who have left would have been. I’m not going to say they would not have made the cut, but it is a completely different level now. 

Of course, but up until this season there was a large percentage of the team that had played together since they were 12-15 years old. It's a big transition for those that are left. 

Just now, Saint_clark said:

Of course, but up until this season there was a large percentage of the team that had played together since they were 12-15 years old. It's a big transition for those that are left. 

Very true it is worth so much. Just hoping that the new set of players can gel and at least keep us in this league. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

3 of the  players released have joined Southampton Women FC

• Like 2

Didn't see it but a good draw. Its early but we look solidly mid-table, at the very least a few sides look a lot worse (based solely on results) such as Sunderland, Durham, and Coventry. I guess the next match is Durham at home, so we will test this theory

• Like 1

Anyone know is Rafferty Injured again or just opting out of this round of Internationals?

Northern Ireland: Caragh Hamilton and Grace McKimm called into squad for final qualifiers - BBC Sport

"Cliftonville defender Burrows has pulled out due to "personal circumstances" while Rafferty, who started and scored for Southampton on Sunday, has also withdrawn."

• 3 weeks later...

A more comfortable win than the scoreline suggests, in truth. Lacking a bit of clinical finishing where we could have been 4 up inside 20-25 minutes and missed chances in the second half having regained the lead too. Palace were neat and tidy in possession but were guilty of constantly overplaying when they were in wide areas near our penalty area.

• Like 2

Just back from the game.

City looked top of the league first half. We couldn’t get playing in the first half and City played some good stuff. Started loads better second half, passed the ball around much better and scored a good goal. Could have won the game with some later chances but so could City. All said and done very good point for Saints.

• Like 6

Just had a look at the table and the results the women have had so far. They have now played the top 3, 1 win, 1 draw and 1 loss. Drew with Lewis too who have drawn their first four games.

Considering going up a league, making so many changes to the team over the summer and the calibre of the opposition they have made a really positive start. Looks like they could be in and around the top of the table.

We don't seem to release the line-up in playing order, only ever numerical, so I'm finding it difficult to get a sense of which new players have replaced those who weren't retained, and those still in the squad. 

What system are we playing this season, and how is it working for those who were part of the promoted squad?