Southampton FC Women

Dr Who?

Brilliant game at Lewes in late summer sunshine, in front of 1,000 fans. The Dripping Pan a wonderful ground in the heart of the South Downs. When The Rooks went one up, it was game on. Fabulous result for Saints to win 4-1. The team looks extremely well organised. 
Big game at St Mary’s next week against Blackburn. The only other side to get a win yesterday. 

• Like 3

On 28/08/2023 at 10:53, Professor said:

Big game at St Mary’s next week against Blackburn. The only other side to get a win yesterday. 

Looks like it's free to watch on FA Player, 3pm on Saturday 2pm on Sunday

Beware for those who haven't used it before - it's a very clunky app. 

Edit: Thanks to @Lampwickfor giving the correct details :mcinnes:

Edited by Ted Bates Statue
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

Looks like it's free to watch on FA Player, 3pm on Saturday. 

I find the app fine and the match is on live 2pm on Sunday the 3rd.

Edited by Lampwick
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

Looks like it's free to watch on FA Player, 3pm on Saturday. 

I literally cannot get the bloody thing to work, ever. Doesn't matter if I use the app or sign in on a browser.

Edited by Saint_clark
  • Like 1

On 14/08/2023 at 09:57, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

Brilliant piece, really helpful guide that. I've always found the most frustrating thing about the women's coverage is that the club never posted the teamsheet in order of position, only every numerically, so you could never really tell who was doing what in games you didn't attend.

Helpfully, they did post it positionally this weekend, and unhelpfully for you they played a back 5! They played Collett and Purfield as wing backs, with Mott tucked in as a third centre back (with Peake and Parnell). We then played Griffiths, Peplow and Kendall as a midfield three, with Wilkinson and LLS up top. Neither Dean or Kraft got on the pitch so not sure if they're still being integrated into the team

Thanks Fabrice!

I think I'm going to get a lot wrong about formations this season, especially at the start! So many new players and options. The Lewes set-up properly bamboozled me for a while, maybe even still.

Was not on it last weekend, but saw we lost to Sunderland at home, as I was running around near their home in South Shields. 

But a great response to that loss, unlike the mens team on Friday, the women pulled off the reverse of the men’s in a 1-4 away win at Reading! Fantastic result. 

Edited by Dr Who?

My dad got a men's team season ticket, I picked the women's team. I'm definitely getting the better deal. Went to Reading at the weekend and we absolutely played them off the park. Molly Pike looks a real talent. With a little more composed finishing she could have bagged 5 or 6. Cracking, unsavable pen from Wilko. Superb, solid defence from the whole back 4. The complete opposite of the men's team, even down to the mirrored result.

Even with the ridiculous solo pormotion spot I feel we have a decent chnace of Super League football next season.

COYR.

• Like 1

It's certainly great to be watching a team on the up!  We have the defence to clinch promotion, attack probably needs to be a bit more clinical but it's improved since last season

Only downer about the women's team is that they persist at playing at st Mary's.  I get why, but for me sitting in a crowd of 1500-2000 people in a stadium designed to hold 32000 isn't a great experience compared to when they were playing at Totton.  Hopefully we can grow it to c10k if we get to the top flight

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 852_Saint said:

My dad got a men's team season ticket, I picked the women's team. I'm definitely getting the better deal. Went to Reading at the weekend and we absolutely played them off the park. Molly Pike looks a real talent. With a little more composed finishing she could have bagged 5 or 6. Cracking, unsavable pen from Wilko. Superb, solid defence from the whole back 4. The complete opposite of the men's team, even down to the mirrored result.

Even with the ridiculous solo pormotion spot I feel we have a decent chnace of Super League football next season.

COYR.

We seem to have got the recruitment right ever since we formed a team, we've constantly had a group of young players who are developing well under MSC's excellent coaching, and a few older players to keep thing steady. A few of this year's squad have WSL experience or international experience, so we are really kicking on.

Pike is such a talent, a brilliant signing, and keeping hold of Kendall, Morris and Collett will keep this team going, they all could easily be WSL players, maybe not for the big teams.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lost 3-1 at home today to Birmingham, and frankly it could have been worse!  We were fortunate to go into half time only one nil down.  Birmingham should have had two pennos in the 1st half for handball.  One was given but it was a crap effort and easily saved by Rendall.  We also scored two OGs so certainly didn't help ourselves.  Birmingham dominated first half but we were much better 2nd half, without really creating much in the way of opportunities to score.

We were poor defensively today, which is not something you say often about the ladies team.  Libbie Smith bullied the centre backs either by holding the ball up or by running in behind.  Also there were a few balls over the top Rendall could have cleared up but she was reluctant to come for - hopefully she'll learn from today.  Worth stating the Birmingham were top flight 18 months ago whilst we were in the third tier, but today shows we're not quite title contenders as a team yet.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

Seems the Womens League Cup has slipped past us - Saints beating Bristol City on penalties- which gives us 2 points (1 for the draw 1 for the win on penalties) sitting second in group D behind Spurs who walloped Reading 6-0

Hadn't realised our group includes Arsenal, I'm sure they'll rest most of their stars against us but that'll be a massive test at St Marys. Definitely one I'll try and get down to watch.

1 hour ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

Hadn't realised our group includes Arsenal, I'm sure they'll rest most of their stars against us but that'll be a massive test at St Marys. Definitely one I'll try and get down to watch.

Tottenham and Arsenal could both be a good test to see where we are (if they are both taking this seriously).

Saints v Arsenal Thursday 23rd November - weirdly 18:30 KO

Saints v Spurs Thursday 24th January - 19:45

Edited by John Boy Saint
added home fixtures

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Leeta Rutherford given eight-match ban for ableist abuse during Championship game - BBC Sport

Wonder what she said. Bet it wasn't even that bad. 

(I am aware she plays for Pompey now but the incident she's banned for happened for Saints last season).

What the fuck is ableist language? Probably called someone a spazz or a retard or something like that. 

18 hours ago, Barsiem said:

1-0 loss today sadly.  We had a goal disallowed at 0-0.  Leaves us in third - 3 points off top spot

That is a shame, think this year we ideally want to finish close to promotion, build on the squad again next summer, and then make a real push for WSL. If we get promoted this year, we might just get thumped every week next year

10 hours ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

That is a shame, think this year we ideally want to finish close to promotion, build on the squad again next summer, and then make a real push for WSL. If we get promoted this year, we might just get thumped every week next year

If we get promoted this year, we might just get thumped every week next year

One might say the same about the men’s team.  Why would you not want to get promoted this year?  The same problem would arise next year.

1 hour ago, Tommy Mulgrew said:

If we get promoted this year, we might just get thumped every week next year

One might say the same about the men’s team.  Why would you not want to get promoted this year?  The same problem would arise next year.

Yeah and at least in the WSL it would require a comparatively much smaller level of investment to compete. The record women's signing was only just broken for a million quid, I think.

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Promotion possibly a season too soon for the girls. In the women's game generally you can only afford to drop points in 3 or 4 games if you're going for promotion.

So harsh to only have one up and one down. It was ridiculous when they did it for the conference to league 2, thankfully changed now.

I did read a while back that one or two of the managers in the top league said the league to expand the number of teams in it, so that could open things up a bit.

Just now, The Kraken said:

So harsh to only have one up and one down. It was ridiculous when they did it for the conference to league 2, thankfully changed now.

I did read a while back that one or two of the managers in the top league said the league to expand the number of teams in it, so that could open things up a bit.

They need to start doing that to capitalise on increased interest. So far the people pushing women's football don't seem to realise that fans don't give a fuck about a league unless their team is in it. I've never watched a WSL match, why would I?

Molly Pike again terrorising defences with excellent positioning, smart runs and superb control - but then scuffing her finishes. Reminds me of Lallana when he broke through!

She scored 14 in 17 as a Chelsea youth player I was reading, so she can do it. If she can find her shooting boots now she'd be unstoppable.

We have gone off the boil a bit, which given the stupid 1-up rule, means we may have already blown it, but a high finish will encourage continued investment and boost attendance.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Having problems with the FA player again, so weird. Worked fine last game but not before that. 

Got it working. I have to open the player without being logged in, click play and then log in when prompted. 

If I open the player when logged in already it just prompts me to log in endlessly...