Southampton FC Women

Dr Who?

4 points off top with two games left - although if Palace win their game it's 6 points. Pretty sure it's mathematically impossible to go up now as Sunderland and palace play each other on the final day. 

One promotion spot, once again the women's game has some bullshit rules around promotion and relegation. Should be a playoff between 2nd and 5th at least.

Edited by Saint_clark
  • Like 2

The whole women’s structure is taking time to filter through, but it is getting there. 

Frustratingly there are 1 place each for the northern national and southern national now rather than a play off for the 2 winners for one place. Felt sorry for Wolves a couple of years ago. Should be playoffs as well in the championship, and the northern & southern national league.  But as I say it will get there. 

Pompey are coming up with Newcastle, so we get a derby, but Newcastle I feel will steamroller into the Super League. But fair play in our second season only being a couple/3 wins off. 👍

• Like 2

On 31/03/2024 at 19:02, Dr Who? said:

The whole women’s structure is taking time to filter through, but it is getting there. 

Frustratingly there are 1 place each for the northern national and southern national now rather than a play off for the 2 winners for one place. Felt sorry for Wolves a couple of years ago. Should be playoffs as well in the championship, and the northern & southern national league.  But as I say it will get there. 

Pompey are coming up with Newcastle, so we get a derby, but Newcastle I feel will steamroller into the Super League. But fair play in our second season only being a couple/3 wins off. 👍

It probably is time the whole system had a bit of an overhaul. Expand the WSL to a few more teams, and boost the Championship too, for professional setups there aren't actually very many games across the season, and the pyramid as a whole would improve.

• Like 1

I think it might not be the worst thing to allow Saints to consolidate in this division. Reading were the most recent team to get relegated from the WSL and they were way off the pace, as are Bristol City this season. Until the worst team in the WSL can get closer to the rest of their peers, I can see the argument for not expanding the promotion/relegation slots just yet.

42 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Kayla Rendell earns first England senior call-up | Southampton FC Official Site

Good news for Kayla here. Surprised no one else mentioned this what with it being the first international call up the Saints ladies has had since it was formed. Big news.

I imagine she'll be off next season to a WSL team, along with Pike. If the men's team don't get promoted we might find the two teams in the same position where the obvious top players are picked off and we're left rebuilding again.

Just now, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

I imagine she'll be off next season to a WSL team, along with Pike. If the men's team don't get promoted we might find the two teams in the same position where the obvious top players are picked off and we're left rebuilding again.

Can't see Rendell leaving.

6 hours ago, Master Bates said:

Can't see Rendell leaving.

Any reason why? 

Well deserved call up, it was obvious last season that she has the ability to play in the WSL. Hopefully it's with Saints. 

38 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Any reason why? 

Well deserved call up, it was obvious last season that she has the ability to play in the WSL. Hopefully it's with Saints. 

No particular reason, just cant see her going not this summer.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty straightforward game - ref was in the right job with the demeanour of the kid no one liked at school. 😁
Just a shame this is a one team up league 2nd place play off against 2nd bottom of the WSL would add some spice because the Championship could get stagnant with more good teams in it.