Southampton FC Women 1-0 Wolverhampton Wanderers Women - National League Play-Off Final - Promoted as Champions!

Dr Who?

So it’s the build up to the big one, as Southampton Women look to gain promotion to the Championship, so I though a thread of its own was justified. 

The link below will take you to the page to buy tickets for the day. 

https://www.stockportcounty.com/match-day-tickets/?ftredirect=1

I am also aware that there is travel up to Stockport from Southampton on the day. It would be great to cheer our double winning 🏆 🏆 women on and give them the support they deserve. I think they have had an amazing season and it would be great to see them over the line. 

Match kicks off at 3pm on Saturday 21st May 2022. 

COYR! ❤️🤍❤️🤍❤️🤍❤️🤍

Edited by Dr Who?
  • Like 7

14 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

I thought they'd be arranging a friendly or two in the interim, just to keep things ticking over. While you don't want injuries, you don't want to have lost too much sharpeness

Perhaps they could arrange to play Wolves beforehand, ridiculous situation that the play-off has been arranged 3 weeks after the last league game (especially when you consider the league was originally supposed to have finished about a month ago) and not only that arranged for a 3rd-rate venue geographically distant for both teams. Totally amateurish level of organisation at this level of the women's game. Sooner we win the play-off and move up to the Championship the better.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Perhaps they could arrange to play Wolves beforehand, ridiculous situation that the play-off has been arranged 3 weeks after the last league game (especially when you consider the league was originally supposed to have finished about a month ago) and not only that arranged for a 3rd-rate venue geographically distant for both teams. Totally amateurish level of organisation at this level of the women's game. Sooner we win the play-off and move up to the Championship the better.

Could be worse.  Could require two teams from the North West to play a semi-final at Wembley and have around a 400 mile round trip for both sets of supporters.

Anybody got the xG figures to hand for both teams?

50 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Could be worse.  Could require two teams from the North West to play a semi-final at Wembley and have around a 400 mile round trip for both sets of supporters.

Anybody got the xG figures to hand for both teams?

It is ridiculous though. You’d think the club would help with the travel costs. Maybe they could pay the taxi fare of the people interested in watching. 

2 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

It is ridiculous though. You’d think the club would help with the travel costs. Maybe they could pay the taxi fare of the people interested in watching. 

£5 for the coach up. £5 for a ticket. Not bad really. 

Nice to see the women come out at half time and show off the cup. Maybe they could have made a bit more of it, had an interview or something but there didn't seem to be any time because of the pissing around with that Bitcoin competition.

• Like 2

So the season is over, below are the stats and the table. 

Only 3 weeks until the play off game against Wolves. Do you have your ticket yet? It would be great to give them that boost of a good following. 

£5 a ticket and £5 for coach travel. And a day out in Stockport? Yeah woohoo 🎉 

https://www.stockportcounty.com/match-day-tickets/?ftredirect=1

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2022-04-29/ticket-and-travel-details-southampton-fc-vs-wolves-national-league-play-off-2021-22

6013D208-F8B2-4574-A429-941B73006DBA.jpeg

E02D1788-C2F1-45B6-9A6F-C33542A77FDA.jpeg

Any reason Stockport is chosen as a neutral venue for a match between Saints & Wolves ? 

Surely there is a suitable venue between the two clubs. If this was a mens SF at Old Trafford (leaving aside the FA obsession with Wembley), you’d question it being closer to Wolverhampton but might accept the selection for ground capacity. Can’t believe another venue couldn’t be available for this for the expected crowd. 

19 minutes ago, Badger said:

Any reason Stockport is chosen as a neutral venue for a match between Saints & Wolves ? 

Surely there is a suitable venue between the two clubs. If this was a mens SF at Old Trafford (leaving aside the FA obsession with Wembley), you’d question it being closer to Wolverhampton but might accept the selection for ground capacity. Can’t believe another venue couldn’t be available for this for the expected crowd. 

Allegedly it was the only ground available. Not a single ground any further south was available for use on that day. 

Mental.

Seems the "bingo bus" has sold out as its showing as no longer available when you click through the link - but then there is a comment on the OS page to keep checking.

It was showing the same on Saturday morning when I looked, then at half time Saturday it was advertised by the announcer again. 

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Screenshot_20220421-142552-538.png.f61a7275ae4229975424fe83cc1da608.png

1 hour ago, trousers said:

Screenshot_20220421-142552-538.png.f61a7275ae4229975424fe83cc1da608.png

The point is though that given it had to be at the home of a professional club, there was no need for it to have been 3 weeks after the regular season finished (which was already about 3 weeks later than originally planned) and also it need not have been on a Saturday, especially given that all League weekend games are played on Sunday. Just smacks of complete amateurish incompetence to me. They should have booked a proper neutral  venue before the season started. Shabby treatment not just for Saints but Wolves as well.

1 hour ago, VectisSaint said:

The point is though that given it had to be at the home of a professional club, there was no need for it to have been 3 weeks after the regular season finished (which was already about 3 weeks later than originally planned) and also it need not have been on a Saturday, especially given that all League weekend games are played on Sunday. Just smacks of complete amateurish incompetence to me. They should have booked a proper neutral  venue before the season started. Shabby treatment not just for Saints but Wolves as well.

Pretty much sums up the whole treatment of the woman's game. It’s a little bit of an afterthought! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

Seems the "bingo bus" has sold out as its showing as no longer available when you click through the link - but then there is a comment on the OS page to keep checking.

It was showing the same on Saturday morning when I looked, then at half time Saturday it was advertised by the announcer again. 

You would think if it has sold out or a few have sold out they would put on more buses? Supply and demand kinda thing. Weird to advertise it at half time if sold out. Breakdown in communication? Did not expect to sell out? 

4 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

Pretty much sums up the whole treatment of the woman's game. It’s a little bit of an afterthought! 

Not just the woman’s game though is it ?

Same can be said about consideration of supporters in general, kick off times making no allowance for travelling etc. Look at the farce of holding SF at Wembley for two north west teams with known disruption on the trains.

7 minutes ago, Badger said:

Not just the woman’s game though is it ?

Same can be said about consideration of supporters in general, kick off times making no allowance for travelling etc. Look at the farce of holding SF at Wembley for two north west teams with known disruption on the trains.

Yes but one is for the commercial side of football and money, the other one was just non existent planning for the woman's game. Shit we have a woman's play off game, better sort out a venue. 🙄 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Dr Who? said:

So any on here going even though the club are being crap? 

I’m going, we’re in block E. going to make a weekend of it with my little one.

Weekend out in Manchester, looking forward to it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wooley7 said:

I’m going, we’re in block E. going to make a weekend of it with my little one.

Weekend out in Manchester, looking forward to it.

Yep I’m going with my boy, but it is only a couple of hours away for me, so will be going home after. 

I thought you were going to say a weekend of it in Stockport 😂 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr Who? said:

Yep I’m going with my boy, but it is only a couple of hours away for me, so will be going home after. 

I thought you were going to say a weekend of it in Stockport 😂 

I am but it sounds more exciting if I say Manchester!

really looking forward to it though, watching a Saints team playing in a high stakes game will be fun.

My daughter is very excited.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

Cheers for the heads up 

Done - cheaper than diesel.

Ooooooo that’s an early start!

Actually on reflection when they “advertised” the coaches and I clicked to book at the same time as booking tickets, they were unavailable it appeared they had sold out the one coach and that was it - I don’t think the travel was ready to sell as we have seats on coach 1 bought last night. Unless when we turn up at the crack of Sparrows fart we are shuffled on to coach 2.

For a multi million pound company it all does seem a bit of a pig in poke. 

12 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

Actually on reflection when they “advertised” the coaches and I clicked to book at the same time as booking tickets, they were unavailable it appeared they had sold out the one coach and that was it - I don’t think the travel was ready to sell as we have seats on coach 1 bought last night. Unless when we turn up at the crack of Sparrows fart we are shuffled on to coach 2.

For a multi million pound company it all does seem a bit of a pig in poke. 

None of it makes sense as there was a coach for a few days, then nothing for a couple of weeks or a bit more. Now 3 coaches just over a week before. 

nothing is very well advertised on the Saints site or tickets on out site or Stockport. I know they have to be bought from Stockport but the Saints site should be promoting it, not us having to go and find it. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

None of it makes sense as there was a coach for a few days, then nothing for a couple of weeks or a bit more. Now 3 coaches just over a week before. 

nothing is very well advertised on the Saints site or tickets on out site or Stockport. I know they have to be bought from Stockport but the Saints site should be promoting it, not us having to go and find it. 

I have an acquaintance who is socially as thick as porridge, cadged a lift when we thought the one coach was it and were driving - saw your post last night, messaged him to say coaches are on do you want me to book you a seat too, pissed me off with the reply “booked a seat yesterday” ( don’t catch fire mate - cos I ain’t drunk enough water) 

Anyway I digress - 2 (or is it 3??.!!) coaches are sold out already - well there is one seat on coach 1 available next to our “mate”  I guess, if you are going and suffering from insomnia bag it 8 hours of tip top sleep nailed on.

18 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

I have an acquaintance who is socially as thick as porridge, cadged a lift when we thought the one coach was it and were driving - saw your post last night, messaged him to say coaches are on do you want me to book you a seat too, pissed me off with the reply “booked a seat yesterday” ( don’t catch fire mate - cos I ain’t drunk enough water) 

Anyway I digress - 2 (or is it 3??.!!) coaches are sold out already - well there is one seat on coach 1 available next to our “mate”  I guess, if you are going and suffering from insomnia bag it 8 hours of tip top sleep nailed on.

Good mate then 😆 

Seems to have gone quiet on the game being streamed by the BBC.  Did think it seemed strange given it’s a Saturday 3pm kick-off and the old rules about that.  Be a shame if we can’t see it given how far away it is from the city

41 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

Great news!  If only I’d waited an hour before posting 😂

Not sure the 3pm rules apply for two reasons, one that the premier League is the only league still going and two even if lower league games were still being played I doubt many fans of the likes of Yeovil, Stockport etc would skip watching their own side play to sit at home and watch third tier women's football.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Not sure the 3pm rules apply for two reasons, one that the premier League is the only league still going and two even if lower league games were still being played I doubt many fans of the likes of Yeovil, Stockport etc would skip watching their own side play to sit at home and watch third tier women's football.

Yeah and the premier league great end to the season 😴 is on Sunday. As you say though only Wolves and Saints fans are interested, and even then hardly! 

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Southampton FC Women 1-0 Wolverhampton Wanderers Women - National League Play-Off Final - Promoted as Champions!
  • Jimmy_D pinned this topic
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic