Southampton FC Women 1-0 Wolverhampton Wanderers Women - National League Play-Off Final - Promoted as Champions!

Dr Who?

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Southampton FC Women 1-0 Wolverhampton Wanderers Women - Promoted as Champions!

There were some big calls from the manager in that second half.

Wolves switching to a back 4, solidified them. So we weren't able to have that space to exploit, the way we had when they had also been more attacking.

Taking Freeland off was a big call, making us harder to break down, but at the expense of even more attacking outlets.

Hughes and Merrick played well for them with more room. I was happy to see Gauntlett go off too.

But we held our shape and worked hard to stop their chances. Then another big call to bring Rood on, to push them back at the end. George nearly levelled it for them, right at the death. That was a heart in mouth moment.

An excellent game and massive congratulations to the squad and staff!

Lots of good performances. While Pharaoh got the goal, Ware was the player of the match for me. After good work from Freeland on the other flank, more switched to Ware and she really worried their defense.

Looking forward already to next season!

• Like 1

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Southampton FC Women 1-0 Wolverhampton Wanderers Women - National League Play-Off Final - Promoted as Champions!
4 hours ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:
1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

Some of the lasses in floods of tears, especially amongst those who I'm guessing were injured as they were in casual wear. Nice to see a team that properly cares. 

Need to go pro next season, they deserve it. 

Really enjoyable day out. My little girl said ‘best match ever’. She loved it. Getting to chat to all the girls after was great. Whole team signed her scarf and Sophia signed the match ball that I currently have in my rucksack.

hopefully we will see some decent coverage from the club next year. We have a team to compete in the championship, back to back promotions?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

I don't recall Pompey's men's team doing this for either of our most recent promotions... 😲

Nice touch, and credit to the PFC Women's team.

Perhaps PFC will let our Women's team parade their trophy around Fratton Park for the first home game next season as well.

Great result and reward for  fantastic season.

That's 3 women's matches I've watched in the last few weeks. No denying they are not as fast or strong as the men, but already thanks to some great coaches they seem tactically on par with all but the very top of the mens game and all 3 have been as entertaining as at least 50% of the mens games I've watched this season. I can see the women's game rising in popularity massively over the next few years. 

• Like 1

Just on the ”Bingo bus” heading home - long old day but worth every penny of the £20 for Mrs JBS and me for a grand day out.

Certainly was a cagey start, a combination of nervousness and rust from not playing for a while. The goal settled us, and the sending off seemed to shut down Wolves as if they were hoping not to be hammered just like other teams this season, whilst hoping to benefit from scraps of our errors to sneak a goal. Whilst the ladies game requires a different mindset to watch - you can easily enjoy the application and effort they put into the game. 

……….oh and my sandwiches lasted to well beyond Newbury! 😳

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

I was up and about when you made the first sandwich post of the day. Now there's this one, and not once did you tell us the filling! 🙂

as you asked…….
Chicken and stuffing with some of that crispy bacon and a light smear of mayo in a wholemeal roll. 😁

1 minute ago, John Boy Saint said:

as you asked…….
Chicken and stuffing with some of that crispy bacon and a light smear of mayo in a wholemeal roll. 😁

Nice. 🙂  Surprised they lasted as far.

1 hour ago, Wurzel said:

Great result and reward for  fantastic season.

That's 3 women's matches I've watched in the last few weeks. No denying they are not as fast or strong as the men, but already thanks to some great coaches they seem tactically on par with all but the very top of the mens game and all 3 have been as entertaining as at least 50% of the mens games I've watched this season. I can see the women's game rising in popularity massively over the next few years. 

The difference in physicality...pause for some to put in obvious comment...combined with the modern tactics is one of the reasons I've yet to see a dull womens game.

Added bonuses of the lack of childish play acting/ cheating mean you get a proper game without the endless nonsense.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

The difference in physicality...pause for some to put in obvious comment...combined with the modern tactics is one of the reasons I've yet to see a dull womens game.

Added bonuses of the lack of childish play acting/ cheating mean you get a proper game without the endless nonsense.

The standard of goalkeeping has also greatly improved. The Saints 'keeper looked very composed and her handling was excellent.

27 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Don’t get me started on play acting. I had to ref at a kids tournament today and every game saw kids rolling on the floor crying and screaming like they’d be shot only to be up and running around 30 seconds later. They obviously watch it on the telly from the premier league. On kid in particular was rolling round on the floor holding his neck, not a mark on it, soon as he realised he might be subbed he was right as rain.  It started to test my patience after a few games and I ended up ordering injured kids off the pitch immediately and subs be made. It’s rolling subs so no issue but really frustrating to see and as coaches and refs we have a duty of care to kids and one day someone might get properly injured and it be not treated as seriously initially due to the behaviour of the others. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

Well done! Were you one of the noisy bu**ers we could here on the telly? 🙂

Couldn't here the Wolves crowd at all, well done!

Good chance I was.

Wolves fans were very quiet - except the one behind me calling cheat on Ware, first when she got a hefty kick in the back whilst laying on the pitch, then again when the same Wolves player got the second yellow having left 3 nasty stud marks across the back of Alicia’s thigh right in  front of the 4th official. 
Coming out of the ground some old trout Wolves  fan chirping “one song……..”, hmmmmm better than no song  my dear.

Just now, John Boy Saint said:

Good chance I was.

Wolves fans were very quiet - except the one behind me calling cheat on Ware, first when she got a hefty kick in the back whilst laying on the pitch, ...

That'll be the same injury she was faking even as they celebrated with the trophy. What a kidder. I was sure she was still in pain from it. 🙂

I’m so so happy. What a great day and enjoyment that was. 

I think we played better against 11 women than we did 10. We were just knocking the ball about at the back, but without having too many opportunities in from of goal. When Wolves had the ball they had more purpose and looked more of a threat. 

We saw it out though and that’s the main thing. By far the better team in the first half and deserved the win. 

Going to be a different challenge next season, but looking forward to being able to go to a few away games. 

Up the Saints! 

ECC9FB04-2A2E-4CF3-A234-2E74643A4E8A.jpeg

4A11A486-9701-452A-9418-48404ED37A30.jpeg

26F4F6D3-8433-401D-844C-9E3EDD863E3F.jpeg

0A27483B-F8B8-42D6-B616-E2A9B9A3ECF9.jpeg

8F8D2B69-075A-436E-9746-91596BD34258.jpeg

9ACF830C-088D-4339-AE9A-F85F31A24BB7.jpeg

5A9E3309-E244-40A3-96BD-58894AD96984.jpeg

Edited by Dr Who?
  • Like 7

40 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

I’m so so happy. What a great day and enjoyment that was. 

I think we played better against 11 women than we did 10. We were just knocking the ball about at the back, but without having too many opportunities in from of goal. When Wolves had the ball they had more purpose and looked more of a threat. 

We saw it out though and that’s the main thing. By far the better team in the first half and deserved the win. 

Going to be a different challenge next season, but looking forward to being able to go to a few away games. 

Up the Saints! 

ECC9FB04-2A2E-4CF3-A234-2E74643A4E8A.jpeg

4A11A486-9701-452A-9418-48404ED37A30.jpeg

26F4F6D3-8433-401D-844C-9E3EDD863E3F.jpeg

0A27483B-F8B8-42D6-B616-E2A9B9A3ECF9.jpeg

8F8D2B69-075A-436E-9746-91596BD34258.jpeg

9ACF830C-088D-4339-AE9A-F85F31A24BB7.jpeg

5A9E3309-E244-40A3-96BD-58894AD96984.jpeg

Great photos.

By the looks of it you were sat behind us. We were in the front row between the tunnel and the dugouts.

We we’re stood only a few yards away from the team when they were celebrating and you could see two long, pretty bad cuts on Alisha Ware’s thigh. Deserved to be sent off.

After the game all the players were coming over and signing things for the kids. I know it’s an obvious thing to say  but, it’s so much more accessible, great for kids to engage with.  My daughter really enjoyed getting involved with the singing, thanks to those who kept getting things going just behind us. Much better than the Wolves fans.

Got to say I really enjoyed watching the game too, as a fan, it really felt like watching a Saints team. 

Really enjoyable day and great to be cheering when the trophy was lifted!

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

I don't recall Pompey's men's team doing this for either of our most recent promotions... 😲

Most likely a case of “thank goodness we don’t have to play them again next season!” 😁

They will likely be in the running again next season.

So moving forward I'd like to see the club offer the players full time contracts and start streaming the games on YouTube (if the league allow that, don't see why they wouldn't as they don't get televised at this level) with commentary. Come on Saints, if you want us to properly get behind women's football then you need to do the same.

• Like 1

I have to confess that until recently I was in the Lord Duckhunter  "Dog and Duck" school of thought about women's football. I never showed much interest in it and thought it was just a passing fad.

Our girls's performance this season has made me change my opinion. I have followed their scores and yesterday was the first time that I have seen the team play. I saw some good football and I was impressed. You can see that they have been coached well and have enthusiasm and energy.  Articles like the one below also help in increasing my understanding of the women's game. I await following the team's performance in the Championship next season. 

Ah well. Something else that I now disagree with Duckie about. 😁

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/may/21/southampton-women-win-promotion-to-second-tier-after-victory-against-wolves?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Oth

Edited by Tamesaint
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Spot on

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

I'd be shocked if someone doesn't try to take Rendell. 

Kendall is an England under 18 player, so someone has seen the merits of her game.

Another one is Millie Mott - she quietly goes about her business, her reading of the game and danger especially is very good. Her part in the goal yesterday was excellent. 

Edited by John Boy Saint
Fell not the Rendell Kendall trap in my haste to comment. Defo not the first😳
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

She is an England under 18 player, so someone has seen the merits of her game.

Another one is Millie Mott - she quietly goes about her business, her reading of the game and danger especially is very good. Her part in the goal yesterday was excellent. 

We have some class players who could and will be playing at a higher level. The good thing at the moment is that they are all ‘local’ players who live and work in the area and play for Southampton (like the old days with the mens team). I would like to see them turn professional, but then they will Jack in the day jobs and pretty much go where they are wanted, and get the bigger money at a WSL club. I would like to think that they will stay and see how next season goes, but on the flip side we will need to strengthen to complete, so bring some players in. Maybe from Watford or other championship clubs, or fringe WSL clubs. We can only really do this if we turn pro though, which I think we will over the coming months. 

49 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

She is an England under 18 player, so someone has seen the merits of her game.

The commentary mentioned the increase in goalkeeping coaching in the women's game, and how long it had taken. Rendell looked very assured. Since we are a club with a surplus of coaches who have played in goals, I wonder if any of them could be spared to help Rendell further ? 🙂

I also like Mott, for exactly the same reasons. Just gets on with doing a good job. Some excellent passes yesterday.

2 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

How long before the Big clubs start poaching our players? Success always attracts unwanted attention.

That could well be a factor in the club deciding how much they invest in the team. If their goal truly is getting to the top division, they should be anticipating doing well with the majority of this squad. Investment and improving terms should be made on that basis.Much better to drive at the target than hope for the best and trip across it. Much better than some belated, half hearted effort after our better players drip feed out of the club to places where their talents are recognised.

2 hours ago, Lampwick said:

Spot on

Thanks. I shall keep this handy for when I make an idiot of myself on other threads 🙂

2 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

So moving forward I'd like to see the club offer the players full time contracts and start streaming the games on YouTube (if the league allow that, don't see why they wouldn't as they don't get televised at this level) with commentary. Come on Saints, if you want us to properly get behind women's football then you need to do the same.

I don't know the terms the top of our league next season are on, but we should be offering terms on a competative basis with teams looking for promotion, at least.

After the team's achievements, I'm really looking forward to that increase in coverage the club have told us would happen on promotion. 🙂

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

We have some class players who could and will be playing at a higher level. The good thing at the moment is that they are all ‘local’ players who live and work in the area and play for Southampton (like the old days with the mens team). I would like to see them turn professional, but then they will Jack in the day jobs and pretty much go where they are wanted, and get the bigger money at a WSL club. I would like to think that they will stay and see how next season goes, but on the flip side we will need to strengthen to complete, so bring some players in. Maybe from Watford or other championship clubs, or fringe WSL clubs. We can only really do this if we turn pro though, which I think we will over the coming months. 

Our academy side also won three trophies this season-the pressure from there is also pretty intense. It will be interesting to see what additional signings we will make. I fully expect one marquee signing this summer.  On the other hand I would hate to see this side broken up too soon as they have been so entertaining these last two seasons.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

Is this viable? Or likely? Just having a look through the championship table, it seems like a few of the sides in that league are semi pro at best. The cost of going fully professional is, I’d imagine, very high and not going to be offset by revenues in. I think it’s fair to say the side is already currently well funded by SFC, not sure if going fully pro is even financially possible without massive backing (revenues aren’t suddenly going to skyrocket just for being in the Championship).

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

Is this viable? Or likely? Just having a look through the championship table, it seems like a few of the sides in that league are semi pro at best. The cost of going fully professional is, I’d imagine, very high and not going to be offset by revenues in. I think it’s fair to say the side is already currently well funded by SFC, not sure if going fully pro is even financially possible without massive backing (revenues aren’t suddenly going to skyrocket just for being in the Championship).

Championship is part time contract so assume semi pro. WSL clubs have to be professional 

5 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Championship is part time contract so assume semi pro. WSL clubs have to be professional 

Saints are part time already, which is rare for the level we were at. 

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

Going full time doesn't mean we start paying them thousands of pounds a week. A decent full time annual salary would be £25,000 a year, which equates to less than £15,000 a week for a squad of 30. We can easily budget for that from the savings when Forster leaves. 

Hell, even paying them £30k a year would only cost us £18,000 a week overall. 

17 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Saints are part time already, which is rare for the level we were at. 

Going full time doesn't mean we start paying them thousands of pounds a week. A decent full time annual salary would be £25,000 a year, which equates to less than £15,000 a week for a squad of 30. We can easily budget for that from the savings when Forster leaves. 

Hell, even paying them £30k a year would only cost us £18,000 a week overall. 

Oh right, not very much at all then…..