THE TINKERMEN

ElTrinidad

As most users on this forum seem to know everything about managing a premier league football team, I thought it might be quite nice to create a thread where people can experiment with their ideal saints starting line-ups/ different formations etc!

As always, constructive feedback is always welcome but lets try to keep it civil boys (a big ask on this site I know 😉)

I’ll get us started: spacer.png

Possible thoughts on a 352?

Is obviously dependent on Lyanco coming good, but I would be interested to see if Walker-Peters can live up to his (almost) namesake and slot in on the right side of a back three. Salisu could be formidable in the middle as our last line of defence as his positional play and reading of the game seem to be on point.

The thought of Stewie pulling strings as a number 10 behind the 2 strikers seems exciting also! Not to mention “Adams, Armstrong, Adam Armstrong” sounds great, and could confuse the hell out of a few commentators! 

Can’t see it happening any time soon but what are we if not dreamers eh? 

• Like 1

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve with that lineup?  If its a back 5 I'm really confused, is Djeneppo a wing back? Is KWP one of a 3 CB? Is Lyanco anywhere near starting? Salissu looks promising, but he makes a balls up in every game, which seems to get overlooked because he is not Jack or Jan, who only have to break wind in the wrong direction to be wildly berated.

I don't know how to do the nice graphics, but based on what I know as of now, and current form ,  this is my starting line up

McCarthy

KWP, Salissu, Stephend (C), Peraud

Livramento, Romeau, JWP, Armstrong 

Adams, Armstrong

Edited by Toussaint

I always thought it would be fun to see if we could set up like Liverpool with Che in the Firmino support striker role who doesn't need to score a lot as he pulls people into play and holds the ball up.

On top of this it requires a "Mane" and a "Salah", one guy who is an incredible dribbler and can make chances by beating a man and one guy who is lightning fast, shoots a lot and can finish. My Mane would be either Livramento, Stu, or Djenepo and my Salah would be Adam Armstrong.

Three man midfield has one Fabinho (Destroyer type), one Thiago (playmaker who can break the lines and dribble) and one Henderson (All round box to box who can pop up anywhere). JWP is our Henderson imo in that he has a good engine and can put a tackle in as well as contribute in the final third (I actually think Liverpool will make a move for JWP as their Hendo replacement at some point). Romeu is obviously the best candidate for the Fabinho role, and the Thiago role will go to either Stu or Diallo, probably Stu for the time being but Diallo can develop into that role.

Finally in defence we need two aggressive fullbacks who can cross and provide width. Perraud was excellent in this role in the french league and KWP was very good at getting high up the pitch last season so I'd pick these two (also because I'm converting Livramento to a Bale-style inverted winger and giving him the Mane role!). CBs we need someone quick strong to play the VvD line in the high line (Salisu) and someone who is decent in the air and last ditch to play the Matip role (Bednarek). We do miss the passing range of the liverpool pairing but that can't be helped. Forster in goal because he is a better shot stopper and claiming crosses is less important with Bednarek over Stephens as Bednarek is good in the air.

Final team:

image.thumb.png.bed7f817a4f87470a3009d2e9a3034cc.png

When chasing the game sub out Adams for Broja and have a more traditional target man. Bring on Djenepo/Redmond for A. Armstrong/Livramento for a change of pace. See if Moi can play the advanced 8 role of S. Armstrong as his passing and shooting will be valuable without too much reliance on pace. Trial Lyanco in the Bednarek role to see if he can add passing from deep to the side without too much of a defensive drop off.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

For me atm, this is our strongest side. Not sure why everyone thinks Tino is going to be playing as a ten, I can't see that happening, nor has he ever played there as far as I am aware...No idea on CB's but if Stephens can carry on as he's started the season, then I see no reason to drop him. He's one of the only "leaders" we have too.

McCarthy

Livramento Stephens Salisu  KWP

Armstrong JWP Romeu Redmond

Adams Armstrong

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TWar said:

I always thought it would be fun to see if we could set up like Liverpool with Che in the Firmino support striker role who doesn't need to score a lot as he pulls people into play and holds the ball up.

On top of this it requires a "Mane" and a "Salah", one guy who is an incredible dribbler and can make chances by beating a man and one guy who is lightning fast, shoots a lot and can finish. My Mane would be either Livramento, Stu, or Djenepo and my Salah would be Adam Armstrong.

Three man midfield has one Fabinho (Destroyer type), one Thiago (playmaker who can break the lines and dribble) and one Henderson (All round box to box who can pop up anywhere). JWP is our Henderson imo in that he has a good engine and can put a tackle in as well as contribute in the final third (I actually think Liverpool will make a move for JWP as their Hendo replacement at some point). Romeu is obviously the best candidate for the Fabinho role, and the Thiago role will go to either Stu or Diallo, probably Stu for the time being but Diallo can develop into that role.

Finally in defence we need two aggressive fullbacks who can cross and provide width. Perraud was excellent in this role in the french league and KWP was very good at getting high up the pitch last season so I'd pick these two (also because I'm converting Livramento to a Bale-style inverted winger and giving him the Mane role!). CBs we need someone quick strong to play the VvD line in the high line (Salisu) and someone who is decent in the air and last ditch to play the Matip role (Bednarek). We do miss the passing range of the liverpool pairing but that can't be helped. Forster in goal because he is a better shot stopper and claiming crosses is less important with Bednarek over Stephens as Bednarek is good in the air.

Final team:

When chasing the game sub out Adams for Broja and have a more traditional target man. Bring on Djenepo/Redmond for A. Armstrong/Livramento for a change of pace. See if Moi can play the advanced 8 role of S. Armstrong as his passing and shooting will be valuable without too much reliance on pace. Trial Lyanco in the Bednarek role to see if he can add passing from deep to the side without too much of a defensive drop off.

Ralph has so many options now with these crop of players .. wen he finds the magic formula saints could go back to scaring the life out of teams .. hope he finds it before villa in November..love to turn them over in style and Judas iscariot kops loads of stick !! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toussaint said:

I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve with that lineup?  If its a back 5 I'm really confused, is Djeneppo a wing back? Is KWP one of a 3 CB? Is Lyanco anywhere near starting? Salissu looks promising, but he makes a balls up in every game, which seems to get overlooked because he is not Jack or Jan, who only have to break wind in the wrong direction to be wildly berated.

I don't know who to do the nice graphics, but based on what I know as of now, and current form ,  this is my starting line up

McCarthy

KWP, Salissu, Stephend (C), Peraud

Livramento, Romeau, JWP, Armstrong 

Adams, Armstrong

I know the Nice graphics might’ve got you slightly distracted there mate, but if you took the time to read the “words” I included in the post you might have some answers to some of your questions 😉

As I stated It’s not a back 5, it’s a 352, 3 centre backs making up the defensive line, Tino and Djenepo as wide midfielders, reverting to wingbacks when needed. 

As for “is Lyanco anywhere near starting?” I have no clue. Nobody does; except Mr Hasenhuttl of course. If you’ll refer to my post you’ll see I said his inclusion in the team is dependent on him coming good and only time will tell on that front, however from what I’ve heard, his main attribute are flair and ability to ping long balls forward, preferably for Adams to win and hold up.

I also believe he is our only left sided centre back aside from Salisu hence his inclusion over Stephens and Bednarek (who I’m still a fan of despite their exclusion from this line-up)

Besides, this is only a bit of fun fella, not a job interview for Ralph’s replacement, I suggest you chill out and use your imagination 😇

43 minutes ago, TWar said:

Final team:

Interesting! Liverpool do show we could still utilise the high press without relying on ralph’s trusty 4222.

Tino in the Mane role sounds crazy, but as you say Bale started as a fullback with us so who am I say it wouldn’t work 👍

1 minute ago, ElTrinidad said:

Interesting! Liverpool do show we could still utilise the high press without relying on ralph’s trusty 4222.

Tino in the Mane role sounds crazy, but as you say Bale started as a fullback with us so who am I say it wouldn’t work 👍

Yeah this is definitely my boldest call. I love his natural ability to both beat a man and press like crazy as well as pace/strength/composure, if we can add in shooting he seems a pretty ideal inside forward/inverted winger.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

For me atm, this is our strongest side. Not sure why everyone thinks Tino is going to be playing as a ten, I can't see that happening, nor has he ever played there as far as I am aware...No idea on CB's but if Stephens can carry on as he's started the season, then I see no reason to drop him. He's one of the only "leaders" we have too.

McCarthy

Adams Armstrong

Redmond is nowhere near our strongest starting XI and there's a RB playing at LB, which should only ever be a desperation move. 

2 hours ago, ElTrinidad said:

I know the Nice graphics might’ve got you slightly distracted there mate, but if you took the time to read the “words” I included in the post you might have some answers to some of your questions 😉

As I stated It’s not a back 5, it’s a 352, 3 centre backs making up the defensive line, Tino and Djenepo as wide midfielders, reverting to wingbacks when needed. 

As for “is Lyanco anywhere near starting?” I have no clue. Nobody does; except Mr Hasenhuttl of course. If you’ll refer to my post you’ll see I said his inclusion in the team is dependent on him coming good and only time will tell on that front, however from what I’ve heard, his main attribute are flair and ability to ping long balls forward, preferably for Adams to win and hold up.

I also believe he is our only left sided centre back aside from Salisu hence his inclusion over Stephens and Bednarek (who I’m still a fan of despite their exclusion from this line-up)

Besides, this is only a bit of fun fella, not a job interview for Ralph’s replacement, I suggest you chill out and use your imagination 😇

Did read it, didn't understand it, hence the questions, still don't understand it, but in the interest of Fun, lets play 5 ft tall KWP in goal like his almost namesake? ;)

7 hours ago, TWar said:

Final team:

What a load of old pony 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

What a load of old pony 

One of these days I'll write a football to Duckhunter dictionary so you can get this stuff a bit better. 

Although to be honest I compared to an actual existing team and stated who would play each role player by player, not positive how to make it more simple than that. 

6 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

McCarthy

Adams Armstrong

Sense at last. Tino was signed as a RB which is obvious from his OS bio. Talk of shifting to a right sided 10 (or up front as per someone above) after 3 games is strange. He's played RM before, but not as a 10 in our system. 

If he plays, it's where we've signed him to play. If he plays there, then it's a pick between KWP or Perraud at LB. I agree with you, KWP is the better player. 

Armstrong on the right picks himself, as does CM, and the CB's at the moment. 

I agree with the other picks too, although I'm undecided on the left side. It's a coin toss between Redmond or Tella or Djenepo for me. There's also a case for Forster in goal. 

9 minutes ago, egg said:

Do they? 

Salisu should start, but I think Bednarek is a better player than Stephens despite the knocking he gets on the forum. Plus we then have Lyanco added to the mix.

So I'd say who partners Salisu is up in the air at the moment.

Edited by Matthew Le God

6 minutes ago, egg said:

Sense at last. Tino was signed as a RB which is obvious from his OS bio. Talk of shifting to a right sided 10 (or up front as per someone above) after 3 games is strange. He's played RM before, but not as a 10 in our system. 

If he plays, it's where we've signed him to play. If he plays there, then it's a pick between KWP or Perraud at LB. I agree with you, KWP is the better player. 

I agree with the other picks too, although I'm undecided on the left side. It's a coin toss between Redmond or Tella or Djenepo for me. There's also a case for Forster in goal. 

To be fair I think people saying this are taking the "experiment" aspect of the brief a bit. My team, for instance, has him as an inside forward but realistically Djenepo is more appropriate for such a role. It's just interesting to see how we would fit into another teams formation and to have a think how certain players of ours could be used differently in a system with different requirements.

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

Do they? 

Salisu should start, but I think Bednarek is better player than Stephens despite the knocking he gets on the forum. Plus we then have Lyanco added to the mix.

For me, yes. Stephens will play himself out of the team at some point, he always does, but I think he's far better than Bednarek when he gets pulled out wide and that happens with Livramento flying forward. Not much in it admittedly, but its Stephens just about for me at the moment. 

Lynaco needs to be seen of course, but my instinct (hope!) is that we may have found a bit of a gem - let's see. 

1 minute ago, egg said:

For me, yes. Stephens will play himself out of the team at some point, he always does, but I think he's far better than Bednarek when he gets pulled out wide and that happens with Livramento flying forward. Not much in it admittedly, but its Stephens just about for me at the moment. 

Lynaco needs to be seen of course, but my instinct (hope!) is that we may have found a bit of a gem - let's see. 

I think Bednarek is better against a more physical or aerial threat. Wouldn't be surprised to see Bednarek/Salisu start against a Burnley/Leeds/Chelsea/West Ham style team with a big forward (will see this weekend I guess), I think they should have been the pair against Everton to be honest.

2 minutes ago, egg said:

Have to agree , Stephens has not done anything to get dropped, as you say sooner or later he will but so far this season he has earnt his starting place.

10 hours ago, ElTrinidad said:

As most users on this forum seem to know everything about managing a premier league football team, I thought it might be quite nice to create a thread where people can experiment with their ideal saints starting line-ups/ different formations etc!

As always, constructive feedback is always welcome but lets try to keep it civil boys (a big ask on this site I know 😉)

I’ll get us started: spacer.png

Possible thoughts on a 352?

Is obviously dependent on Lyanco coming good, but I would be interested to see if Walker-Peters can live up to his (almost) namesake and slot in on the right side of a back three. Salisu could be formidable in the middle as our last line of defence as his positional play and reading of the game seem to be on point.

The thought of Stewie pulling strings as a number 10 behind the 2 strikers seems exciting also! Not to mention “Adams, Armstrong, Adam Armstrong” sounds great, and could confuse the hell out of a few commentators! 

Can’t see it happening any time soon but what are we if not dreamers eh? 

Kwp as a 3rd cb, don't think so too lightweight and not exactly great in the air. Perraud at lwb makes alot more sense as he actually is one.

If we are playing fantasy tinkering I quite like the England formation last night.  In which case, and with apologies for the poor visuals, here is my Saints equivalent based on current squad:

Pickford = McCarthy
Shaw = Perraud
Walker = Tino/KWP
Stones = Stephens
Maguire = Salisu
Rice = Romeu
Phillips = JWP
Mount = Stu
Grealish =Tella
Sterling =A Armstrong
Kane = Adams

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Badger said:

... without seeing Lyanco kicking a ball yet that seems pretty emphatic 

maybe lyanco in the middle of a 3 after we’ve looked at him obviously and have salisu lcb and bedders rcb.. but definitely not kwp in there .

Edited by Chris cooper

I'd go currently with a 4-2-2-2 of this -

Much of muchness GK

Tino, Stephens, Salisu, Perraud

Romeu, JWP

S. Armstrong, Elyonoussi 

A. Armstrong, Adams.

Then a 5-3-2 against better sides of this -

Much of muchness GK

Stephens, Bednerak, Salisu

Tino, Perraud 

Romeu, JWP

S. Armstrong

A. Armstrong, Adams.

Don't know enough about Lyanco to put him in, and KWP unfortunate to miss out but prefer the left footed width, but he could easily get in there on either side depending on form/fitness.

I'd also reckon Diallo might end up pushing Romeu out. 

In the 4-2-2-2 then I think the 'no. 10s' are going to be S.Armstrong if it plus 'another', basically whoever is in the most in form from Djenepo, Elynoussi, Redmond, 

18 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

FF

Tino Salisu Bednarek KWP

Romeu

KWP Armstrong

Adams

Broja Armstrong

I like this one. Similar to mine but with Broja in for Livramento up top, Livra back at RB and KWP at LB. Probably a safer bet than mine tbh.