Saints 1-1 Spurs - Match Thread

Lighthouse

1 hour ago, OldNick said:

It was so good to see Valery do so well especially as he has been written off on here by the high brow football pundits 'should never put a Saints shirt on again' etc etc

Perhaps he should become a centre back as he looked to be pretty good there.

As for Spurs, Conte seems to have trained them into the dark arts of getting soft fouls. Royal and Reguillon both fell over when going for  ball and the ref fell for it.

Spurs were even asking for a straight red after Salisu had received his 2nd yellow. 

Shame that Kane as England captain is part of this sham

KWP was brilliant and showed his determination to get us a point when he took that shot with a header.

KWP’s yellow card for a foul on Reguilon looked incredibly soft to me, as if he hardly touched him with his arm and Reguilon took a dive. And Spurs were calling for it to be a red card because he was ‘last man’. Cheats. KWP smiled ruefully.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Exeter Saint said:

KWP’s yellow card for a foul on Reguilon looked incredibly soft to me, as if he hardly touched him with his arm and Reguilon took a dive. And Spurs were calling for it to be a red card because he was ‘last man’. Cheats. KWP smiled ruefully.

To be fair, he had a little tug on his shirt.

Reguillon realised he wasnt getting the ball, and fell to the floor, but technically it was a tug back, which is usually a yellow card.

KWP should have realised he didnt need to do it, was pretty stupid really.

• Like 2

On 29/12/2021 at 11:08, Whitey Grandad said:

That Emerson Royal one was unbelievable. He got robbed and then realised that he wasn’t going to catch up with play and then went down clutching his leg with a scream that could be heard all round the stadium. The ref didn’t give anything at first but then stopped the game and gave Spurs a foul long after the event. I don’t know what made him change his mind. There was no flag from the linesman.

I was at the game so could not tell, but my mate watching on TV said that Royal was not even touched - shame there is no retrospective punishments. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cloggy saint said:

I don't know, does he clap when McCarthy hoofs it into the stands?

What we are talking about is using kicking the ball into the stands for wasting time (gamesmanship). If Foster is not that good (your opinion) he managed to accurately hit the ball out of touch quite a few times in a row.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Saints4Prem said:

What we are talking about is using kicking the ball into the stands for wasting time (gamesmanship). If Foster is not that good (your opinion) he managed to accurately hit the ball out of touch quite a few times in a row.

If it were true about deliberately kicking into the stands, time wasting is one aspect, as would territorial advantage, similar to rugby - and allows us opportunities to steal the ball higher up the pitch with the opposition slightly out of shape.

Could be plausible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saints4Prem said:

wow. Forster getting praised on here for making touch now. The dislike of McCarthy has reached new heights.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chez said:

wow. Forster getting praised on here for making touch now. The dislike of McCarthy has reached new heights.

It's not a Macca vs FF thing. We were playing with 10 men and hanging on for a draw, so it is reasonable to surmise that FF was deliberately punting it out of playing in the other half for throw ins to slow things down. If it were 11 vs 11 and we were going for an equaliser/winner then yes, it would be clearly a case of crap kicks, and I doubt anyone would be defending him.

44 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

It's not a Macca vs FF thing. We were playing with 10 men and hanging on for a draw, so it is reasonable to surmise that FF was deliberately punting it out of playing in the other half for throw ins to slow things down. If it were 11 vs 11 and we were going for an equaliser/winner then yes, it would be clearly a case of crap kicks, and I doubt anyone would be defending him.

He could have at least put it nearer the corner flag - fucking rubbish at kicking. 😉

5 hours ago, Saints4Prem said:

I suppose Ralph clapping Foster when he kicked the ball out was him being sarcastic?

I thought he did it purposely when KWP did the diving header and needed treatment, he went off, we were down to 9 men, forster looked like he purposely booted out so KWP could be wave back on the field. I clapped too, as I thought that was smart. If he kicked in infield that cheating ref may not have wave him straight on, or an attack may have happened before he could get back to his defensive position, from the halfway line he had to return to the filed from. 

The rest looked like he tried to play to the wings but sliced them just out.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

The rest looked like he tried to play to the wings but sliced them just out.

That’s exactly how I saw it. 

Do people really believe lurch has come across a new tactic, like getting the ball into the corners and shielding it, we’ll now see goalkeepers aiming for touch whilst a team is hanging on. Revolutionary tactics!!!!

Perhaps the people who claim it was deliberate can explain why he didn’t boot  it further into the stands as opposed to it only just going.Hell, he should have launched it over the Kingsland. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Perhaps the people who claim it was deliberate can explain why he didn’t boot  it further into the stands as opposed to it only just going.Hell, he should have launched it over the Kingsland. 

If he thumped it over the stand, a replacement ball would be provided quickly. By putting it just out, more time is taken retrieving the ball that's just gone out of play, and then getting it to the opponent player.

It's a tactic that combines Ralph cunning, with the precision kicking we've come to expect from Saints goalkeepers.

Or he might have sliced them...

On 29/12/2021 at 18:09, Totton Saint said:

I have just read The Mail's and the Telegraph's report of the game. Utterly disgusted that all they could talk about was Kane being robbed of a goal by VAR's marginal offside decision, and Forster being let off an own goal  by the ref. The mail at least conceded that Prowsie's goal was a good one.  I agree with a poster that Redmond played an excellent defensive role when he came on

"marginally offside " is still OFFSIDE (!) darn it, but when it's... Harry (wonderful England captain) Kane .... it's called robbery.

When it was Danny Ings' sleeve last season .. it's was " clearly offside " and no more discussion allowed (as if you can score with you sleeve).. 

I agree 100% with all those above who noted the Spurs players cries of pain and injury, but then noted it didn't stop them returning to play PDQ.

Totally out of order for overpaid, over enthusiastic head-cases who think their " state-of-the-art-ground " means they should be treated better than the rest of us. 

• Like 5