David Prutton's meltdown v Arsenal

jawillwill

Late response to this thread but in light of the recent Mitrovic incident, finally someone has uploaded footage of Prutton's 2005 sending-off to youtube. Judging by the title and further comments, the uploader isn't much of a fan of him. Not sure it was that much worse than Mitrovic but it certainly provides a precedent. Reading the match reports from the time, you would have thought he shoved the official to the ground like Di Canio. He wasn't exactly chasing the ref around so much as practising his French with the linesman as he left the pitch.

Edited by Ted Bates Statue

28 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

Sheesh I didn't realise how bad both challenges he made were...  Either would be a straight red these days. Amazing he was only booked each time

Thought the same watching that! Probably not watched it since 2005, that first tackle alone is nuts!!

1 hour ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

Late response to this thread but in light of the recent Mitrovic incident, finally someone has uploaded footage of Prutton's 2005 sending-off to youtube. Judging by the title and further comments, the uploader isn't much of a fan of him. Not sure it was that much worse than Mitrovic but it certainly provides a precedent. Reading the match reports from the time, you would have thought he shoved the official to the ground like Di Canio. He wasn't exactly chasing the ref around so much as practising his French with the linesman as he left the pitch.

Actually, looking again at that footage it looks like he didn't actually clock that it was the ref he was shoving as he's looking straight past him at the lino. He probably subconsciously thought it was another player trying to hold him back? (Yes, probably too much benefit of the doubt on my part and not looking to excuse it)

• Like 1

On 06/04/2023 at 18:43, Barsiem said:

Sheesh I didn't realise how bad both challenges he made were...  Either would be a straight red these days. Amazing he was only booked each time

Really can't see what he was complaining about. Something must have got inside his head in that match.

• Like 1

On 30/03/2022 at 18:58, Singapore Saint said:

I was really pleased too when we signed Prutton, especially when he scored both goals in our 2-0 home win against Liverpool (Paul Sturrock's first game in charge). Optimistic Saints supporters even ventured that he would captain England one day. But he flattered to deceive. Then there were rumours he was living with his mum (mummy's boy) and that he was slightly odd as a result.

Nigel Quashie was another player we signed from the Championship that didn't pay off. In fact he had just been relegated (with can't be bothered to google which team it was). We were hoping he would be a leader - we made him captain if I remember correctly. But instead of being the signing of the season - as a pundit (Glenn Hoddle?) predicted - he turned out to be the flop of the season.

His Mum lived in Hull. Bit of a commute!

On 01/04/2022 at 09:10, Kenilworthy said:

I am afraid it was Beattie and Phillips that scored in that 2-0 win over Liverpool. Prutton I think didn't score until the last game of the season away at Charlton

Scorers against Liverpool were Prutton and Crouch (Prutton assist). His best game for Saints. Charlton was in the previous season.

9 minutes ago, SoberSaint said:

Scorers against Liverpool were Prutton and Crouch (Prutton assist). His best game for Saints. Charlton was in the previous season.

Yes you're right it was Crouch and Prutton, they also assisted each others goals. It was said that the performance of Crouch that day was what earnt him his move to Liverpool that summer.

Edited by Turkish

On 23/03/2022 at 17:36, HarvSFC said:

Picked up Darren Powell, Dennis Wise, Tomasz Hajto, Marcelo Tejera, Kamil Kosowski and Djamel Belmadi that summer. Cracking transfer window and one that we can only dream of these days. I think Fuller was the only one we paid a fee for.

Jesus, that's an ugly transfer window. Actually, Jesus, along with Hajto joined in the January window not that summer. KK didn't join until the following summer and cost about £400k. 

On 30/03/2022 at 18:58, Singapore Saint said:

Nigel Quashie was another player we signed from the Championship that didn't pay off. In fact he had just been relegated (with can't be bothered to google which team it was). We were hoping he would be a leader - we made him captain if I remember correctly. But instead of being the signing of the season - as a pundit (Glenn Hoddle?) predicted - he turned out to be the flop of the season.

Quashie wasn't signed from a Championship side. He was playing for the Skates, in the Prem. Saggy brought him across, fueling the fire even more, and costing us about £3m. He was a crab. And he was crap. He went down with us, then down with West Brom the following season. He did play for us in the Championship in 05/06 for a bit, before joining WBA. I say `played', I recall seeing him standing on the halfway line with hands on hips, watching on and not giving two monkeys as QPR ran through our defence and scored, because he knew he was off. Good riddance. Fucking useless cunt. 

16 minutes ago, Chez said:

Jesus, that's an ugly transfer window. Actually, Jesus, along with Hajto joined in the January window not that summer. KK didn't join until the following summer and cost about £400k. 

That's a poor imitation of MLG. Hajto joined in the summer of 2005. It was the next January 2006 transfer window that his contract was cancelled with us and he joined Derby. Kosowski joined in the 2005 summer window on a season long loan, didn't cost £400k, wasn't a part of the play-off side, which came after the next summer.

The next summer we signed Skacel, Pele, Davis, Idiakez, Viafara, Wright-Phillips, Makin, Licka and Sarmiento. Again, not wholly successful and quite a few duds.

On 08/04/2023 at 13:49, Wurzel said:

Really can't see what he was complaining about. Something must have got inside his head in that match.

Yes, see John Boy Saint's comments on the first page. The individual decisions in themselves seem fine, but it's a question of what the ref chose to let go. I can only imagine Fulham felt similarly aggrieved to lose their heads recently.

7 hours ago, Turkish said:

Yes you're right it was Crouch and Prutton, they also assisted each others goals. It was said that the performance of Crouch that day was what earnt him his move to Liverpool that summer.

It was probably the useless performance of Pellegrino in the same game that earned him a job as our manager.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

That's a poor imitation of MLG. Hajto joined in the summer of 2005. It was the next January 2006 transfer window that his contract was cancelled with us and he joined Derby. Kosowski joined in the 2005 summer window on a season long loan, didn't cost £400k, wasn't a part of the play-off side, which came after the next summer.

you are absolutely right. I'm a very poor man's MLG. Hajtu and KK did sign in the summer of 2005.  My mistake. KK's loan fee was £400k though, according to transfermarkt

12 hours ago, Turkish said:

I was answering the original statement that referenced Sturrock's first game in charge - which was against Liverpool in 2003/4

That ended a pretty shit week for Prutton and Saints. 

Although we all remember the sending off, Pruttons most significant contribution to our relegation that season was not taking a chance to score at West Brom earlier in the week. Ended0-0 as I recall. Critical result at the end of the season 

Edited by Badger
  • Like 1

Prutton was considered a bit of a coup when we signed him (same day as Higginbottom I think) at the end of a January window.

Unfortunately didn’t really fulfil the  potential hoped for.

Was pretty reckless at times throughout his career. Got sent sent off at an important stage of a play off SF whilst on loan at Forest. Having come on after 60 minutes he had two yellow cards to be off just as they were heading into Extra Time. Forest had been 2-0 up from the first leg and lost the second leg at home 5-2.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

Prutton was considered a bit of a coup when we signed him (same day as Higginbottom I think) at the end of a January window.

Unfortunately didn’t really fulfil the  potential hoped for.

Was pretty reckless at times throughout his career. Got sent sent off at an important stage of a play off SF whilst on loan at Forest. Having come on after 60 minutes he had two yellow cards to be off just as they were heading into Extra Time. Forest had been 2-0 up from the first leg and lost the second leg at home 5-2.

With the greatest of respect what a challenge

Remember watching the Prutton meltdown in the sun from the Northam, the game is etched on my brain, like so many others were significant disasters occurred. 

Interestingly, we never seem to have a dull match against Leeds. I remember the Ali Dia game like yesterday (again, it was glorious sunshine), and that horrific 3–4 loss after we went in at half-time, three nil up. 

…back to Prutton, when he was in full flight, he reminded me of Mick Channon, for some reason

Edited by adrian lord

4 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Fully justified. 

Also, is that Paul Smith in goal for Forest?

Yes.

I watched the YouTube clip of it earlier. A bloke called Aaron Davies scored twice for Yeovil. Think he was on our books once as well