David Prutton's meltdown v Arsenal

jawillwill

1 hour ago, jawillwill said:

Does anyone have any footage of Prutton's meltdown at the lino (or ref?) during our relegation season? Pretty sure it was v Arsenal and resulted in a 10 game ban if my memory is correct?

It was right in front of me and very harsh and it was the Lino he ‘assaulted’

• Like 1

Haven’t got a video but it was the Lino who told the ref to give him a second yellow. Prutton disagreed and tried to get in the Lino’s face, the ref tried to stand him his way. Prutton was looking straight past the ref, I don’t think he even realised he’d pushed him. It was a ridiculous ban, the same as Barton got for actually assaulting half of Man City’s team a few years ago.

Mrs JBS mentioned the event was shown on Sky only the other day.

As mentioned before I was later able to talk to Alan Wiley about it at an Evening with the refs, him and Dermot Gallagher, which was very interesting. Some one asked Wiley what triggered Prutton to lose it. “I have no idea”. He was a bit miffed when I told him that he was largely part of the reason.  
With VAR of today Pruttons fuse would never have been lit, in fact we would have been 1-0 up in a game we were in desperate need of 3 points in for our survival. The initial spark was when attacking the Arsenal box, Senderos was sold a dummy as the Saints player went past him, in the box, Senderos stuck his leg out behind him clearly tripping the Saints player, it was in full view of the Lino who duly waved his flag for a foul, the ball was played out by Arsenal, flag still waving, Alan Wiley turned to the Lino and signalled - no offence - put your flag down. (Later on MOTD there was no doubt it was a penalty and the Lino had an A1 view of the offence). The clock ticked on, Saints on the attack again down our right, Ashley Cole absolutely clattered possibly Prutton, it was a dirty foul, no flag probably being too fast and too close to the same Lino, and again waved away by Wiley. Oh dear the switch had been flicked in Pruttons head “oh so anything goes with the ref today”. Ball is coming out of the box ahead of the D with an Arsenal player, Prutton is on a Kamikaze trajectory and takes out ball and player in style. Whistle blows card comes out, red mist has truly descended and off Prutton marches towards the Lino no doubt telling him how spineless he is and a bloody disgrace to the profession and likely telling him to grow some balls and stick with his decision. 
We were fighting hard for our lives in the Premier League, the officials decided to be pretty crap or lazy - and that just pushed a very nice polite young chap over the edge at the injustice. 
Of course it could have been a biological experiment or just the Spring sunshine as Van Persie(?) managed to get himself sent off for silliness before half time too. 

• Like 3

I wrote to Saints in Summer 2005 and asked if I could interview a player for my GCSE project and they sent a letter back saying I could go down to Staplewood and interview David Prutton, but I wasn't allowed to talk about the Arsenal incident. 

Went down there in pre-season and he was super friendly and genuinely didn't seem to mind that me and my mates were absolutely useless setting a camera up. We talked about loads, but the only thing I can remember in any detail was asking who he believed to be rivals for promotion - he listed about 10 teams, but not any of the 3 (Reading, Sheff Utd, Watford) that actually got promoted, I don't think many would have listed those 3 to be fair.

Someone down at Staplewood was talking about us signing Clinton Morrison, but he ended up joining Crystal Palace instead and we signed Ricardo Fuller a week later. 

1 hour ago, saintrich said:

Someone down at Staplewood was talking about us signing Clinton Morrison, but he ended up joining Crystal Palace instead and we signed Ricardo Fuller a week later. 

I think that was our only signing for that season. One of Redknap's for £70K I believe.

Picked up Darren Powell, Dennis Wise, Tomasz Hajto, Marcelo Tejera, Kamil Kosowski and Djamel Belmadi that summer. Cracking transfer window and one that we can only dream of these days. I think Fuller was the only one we paid a fee for.

• Haha 3

On 23/03/2022 at 04:30, Lighthouse said:

Haven’t got a video but it was the Lino who told the ref to give him a second yellow. Prutton disagreed and tried to get in the Lino’s face, the ref tried to stand him his way. Prutton was looking straight past the ref, I don’t think he even realised he’d pushed him. It was a ridiculous ban, the same as Barton got for actually assaulting half of Man City’s team a few years ago.

Yes, it was the ref Prutton pushed, but I disagree that it was a light push as you seem to suggest ("I don't think he even realised he'd pushed him.") It was most definitely a shove, and I knew straightaway it would cost him and us. The ban was 10 games and I'm convinced it, together with Peter Crouch's stupid decision to try and score against Aston Villa in extra time instead of taking the ball to the corner, that cost us our place in the Premier League.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Singapore Saint said:

together with Peter Crouch's stupid decision to try and score against Aston Villa in extra time instead of taking the ball to the corner, that cost us our place in the Premier League.

Wasn't that Everton? Think Beattie scored against us and Bent got the late equaliser. Villa game was also thrown away by leading at half time by 2 goals and still losing. Sure Steven Davis scored in that too :o

Edited by skintsaint
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Wasn't that Everton? Think Beattie scored against us and Bent got the late equaliser. Villa game was also thrown away by leading at half time by 2 goals and still losing. Sure Steven Davis scored in that too :o

Could be Everton, but I've always thought it was Villa. Maybe our club historians at Hagiology Publishing can confirm which it is.

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

It was definitely Everton.

I concur - I was working and listening to it, 3 points were in the bag then Crouchy had a brain fart.

Still you could toss the Boro game into the hat too. If Memory serves me well it was Redknapps first game at the helm - 2-0 up and comfortable and Danny Higginbottoms head suddenly resembled a 50 pence piece, in the space of a couple of minutes we were suddenly under siege and panicking 2-2 just like that. 
I’ve always said under Strachan we were fit for 120 minutes - Redknapp seemed to have us fit for 80 minutes then all our good work fell away.

2 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

I concur - I was working and listening to it, 3 points were in the bag then Crouchy had a brain fart.

Still you could toss the Boro game into the hat too. If Memory serves me well it was Redknapps first game at the helm - 2-0 up and comfortable and Danny Higginbottoms head suddenly resembled a 50 pence piece, in the space of a couple of minutes we were suddenly under siege and panicking 2-2 just like that. 
I’ve always said under Strachan we were fit for 120 minutes - Redknapp seemed to have us fit for 80 minutes then all our good work fell away.

Sounds familiar!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Cat said:

It was definitely Everton.

Yep, still painful that one! Plus the Boro draw, and the Villa capitulation, Prutton skying a volley from 6 yards out away to West Brom. So many moments that season that would have been enough to save us in the long run. I remember the elation of beating Liverpool at home in the early kick off on the Saturday only for the 3pm results to go against us.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bpsaint said:

Yep, still painful that one! Plus the Boro draw, and the Villa capitulation, Prutton skying a volley from 6 yards out away to West Brom. So many moments that season that would have been enough to save us in the long run. I remember the elation of beating Liverpool at home in the early kick off on the Saturday only for the 3pm results to go against us.

And the late Higginbotham equaliser at Selhurst where I wrecked my shins celebrating and then had the euphoria sucked out of me in a pub near London Bridge watching West Brom inexplicably beat Man Utd. 

10 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Middlesbourgh at home that season, 2-0 up in the last minute and still managed to draw 2-2. We were such a gutless team that season, absolutely no bottle. The look of frightened rabbits in the tunnel before the game at Fratton Park was shameful. People criticise players like Danny Fox but him standing in front of the West Stand at Fratton staring into the crowd totally unmoved whilst they were giving it heaps will always make him a hero in my eyes.

• Like 1

On 24/03/2022 at 13:20, bpsaint said:

That was the moment for me, the 6 pointer to end all 6 pointers. It was probably easier to score than miss...

• Like 2

On 24/03/2022 at 16:56, Turkish said:

Middlesbourgh at home that season, 2-0 up in the last minute and still managed to draw 2-2. We were such a gutless team that season, absolutely no bottle. The look of frightened rabbits in the tunnel before the game at Fratton Park was shameful. People criticise players like Danny Fox but him standing in front of the West Stand at Fratton staring into the crowd totally unmoved whilst they were giving it heaps will always make him a hero in my eyes.

Yeah, the waves of capitulation sweeping through the team in various matches is how I remember that season.

Prutton was one of a number of players you realised wouldn't stand up and be counted, which was really disappointing to see. I was really pleased when we signed him. He was one of a number of highly rated Forest players at the time.

I thought Fox did fine, helping us get to a level where his ability had reached its limit and we had move on. No shame at all in that. And yeah, he showed more spirit than most of that relegation squad combined.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Yeah, the waves of capitulation sweeping through the team in various matches is how I remember that season.

Prutton was one of a number of players you realised wouldn't stand up and be counted, which was really disappointing to see. I was really pleased when we signed him. He was one of a number of highly rated Forest players at the time.

I thought Fox did fine, helping us get to a level where his ability had reached its limit and we had move on. No shame at all in that. And yeah, he showed more spirit than most of that relegation squad combined.

That’s my memories as well, so many opportunities to get out of it. Boro at home, 2-0, 90 up, total control, idiotic og and then back off Stewart Downing. Everton at home and Bent’s wonder goal, Crouch not taking it into the corner. Villa 2up and collapsed, Prutton’s miss at WBA and the 10 game ban for pushing Wiley. Crouch’s sending off at Palace hurt us in that game and unavailable for Man U, Phillips’ domestic issues left him off the boil at the end of the season. The fitness seemed to go in the last 10 minutes although we were hopeless in the last two games of Sturrock and under Wigley, don’t like Harry Redknapp but club was a mess. 

Having said all of that, 04/05 had a far worse ending than 2017/18 but at even with those collapses we still beat the European Champions at home (Prutton showing what he could have been), Boro away, Skates at home in the cup and league. 2017/18 I actually fell asleep at Watford home as it was warm weather and so darned dull. Trying to put 10 men behind the ball 1-0 up home to Huddersfield was another low plus Carrillo signing. The only highlights of 2017/18 were the cup run, Everton home and Swansea. I’m amazed the 04/05 side went down by comparison and that the 17/18 side got half a dozen more points. Down to a better start for the 17/18 side I guess. 

Harry signed some very odd players summer 2005 though. Belmadi was good, Fuller improved but never saw Tereja! 

23 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

I was really pleased too when we signed Prutton, especially when he scored both goals in our 2-0 home win against Liverpool (Paul Sturrock's first game in charge). Optimistic Saints supporters even ventured that he would captain England one day. But he flattered to deceive. Then there were rumours he was living with his mum (mummy's boy) and that he was slightly odd as a result.

Nigel Quashie was another player we signed from the Championship that didn't pay off. In fact he had just been relegated (with can't be bothered to google which team it was). We were hoping he would be a leader - we made him captain if I remember correctly. But instead of being the signing of the season - as a pundit (Glenn Hoddle?) predicted - he turned out to be the flop of the season.

Edited by Singapore Saint

Just now, Singapore Saint said:

I was really pleased too when we signed Prutton, especially when he scored both goals in our 2-0 home win against Liverpool (Paul Sturrock's first game in charge). But he flattered to deceive. Then there were rumours he was living with his mum (mummy's boy) and that he was slightly odd as a result.

Nigel Quashie was another player we signed from the Championship that didn't pay off. In fact he had just been relegated (with can't be bothered to google which team it was). We were hoping he would be a leader - we made him captain if I remember correctly. But instead of being the signing of the season - as a pundit (Glenn Hoddle?) predicted - he turned out to be the flop of the season.

That's not true. He's a lovely bloke. Mrs Turkish was working for saints when he was there and they always said that he was a great lad and very popular in the dressing room. Funnily enough i see a fair bit of him now as we lives quite close to where i do and we have a mutual friend. Still a very nice chap by all accounts. I agree he was a bit of a disapointment, was really highly rated when we got him, cant have helped being a young player joining a team in quick decline. It all imploded very quckly after the 2003 cup final sadly.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Singapore Saint said:

That's the Nigel Quashie curse. Suffered relegation with QPR, Forest, Southampton and West Brom. The latter two being consecutive seasons.

We did, however, unfortunately sign him from Portsmouth, who were Premier League at the time.

51 minutes ago, Turkish said:

That's not true. He's a lovely bloke. Mrs Turkish was working for saints when he was there and they always said that he was a great lad and very popular in the dressing room. Funnily enough i see a fair bit of him now as we lives quite close to where i do and we have a mutual friend. Still a very nice chap by all accounts. I agree he was a bit of a disapointment, was really highly rated when we got him, cant have helped being a young player joining a team in quick decline. It all imploded very quckly after the 2003 cup final sadly.

It didn’t help that the club tried to use him as a holding midfielder when he was clearly a box to box midfielder, as he showed v Liverpool when used to his strengths. Similar thing happening with Ibrahima Diallo who is also a box to box player. 

• Like 3

On 23/03/2022 at 17:36, HarvSFC said:

Picked up Darren Powell, Dennis Wise, Tomasz Hajto, Marcelo Tejera, Kamil Kosowski and Djamel Belmadi that summer. Cracking transfer window and one that we can only dream of these days. I think Fuller was the only one we paid a fee for.

It’s amazing when you look back at that period and the signings we made, over those Championship years.

Jordan Robertson (pretty sure he got done for something), Tomasz Hajto (had a good rep in Germany, think he read he was done for manslaughter?), Alexander Ostlund - Jesus, Kamil Kosowski - who? I mean seriously who? Who found these players? What we’re the scouting instructions?!? 😂

22 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

It’s amazing when you look back at that period and the signings we made, over those Championship years.

Jordan Robertson (pretty sure he got done for something), Tomasz Hajto (had a good rep in Germany, think he read he was done for manslaughter?), Alexander Ostlund - Jesus, Kamil Kosowski - who? I mean seriously who? Who found these players? What we’re the scouting instructions?!? 😂

Peter Madsen, Jim Brennan, Mario Licka, Pele, Marcelo Sarmiento, Lucien Mettomo, Jan-Paul Saeijs, Zoltan Liptak, Romain Gasmi...

We were very adventurous with our recruitment back then. Some signings more successful than others!

Edited by HarvSFC

Sarmiento, Mettomo, Gasmi - weren’t they all players brough in for a year loan/six month contract and never made a single appearance? 🤣

Jan-Paul Saeijs was the only positive players out of what was a bizarre bunch at the time, albeit it was too late.

If I recall Zoltan Liptak tended to come on for the final ten minutes of matches and if we were winning/drawing he’d go CB and if we were losing we stuck him up top because of his height 😂

Think I saw Sarmiento's only game which was away at Torquay in the cup. I have zero recollection of Mettomo. Did he even play?

Seem to remember Saeijs was alright. Licka too, didn't he have a really fit girlfriend? Pele was still knocking around training kids with Benali at the MLT Academy when my son went about 5 or 6 years ago.

Love a quick late night Wikipedia search, here’s some more players:

Inigo Idiakez

Stern John

Lee Molyneux

Jhon Viafara (now doing time in the U.S. for drug trafficking)

Plus some other names from the academy that were considered “promising” and never really made it: Jake Thompson, Cedric Baseya, Matt Paterson

14 hours ago, The Cat said:

Think I saw Sarmiento's only game which was away at Torquay in the cup. I have zero recollection of Mettomo. Did he even play?

Seem to remember Saeijs was alright. Licka too, didn't he have a really fit girlfriend? Pele was still knocking around training kids with Benali at the MLT Academy when my son went about 5 or 6 years ago.

Nope but there was a classic thread on here about him.

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Love a quick late night Wikipedia search, here’s some more players:

Inigo Idiakez

Stern John

Lee Molyneux

Jhon Viafara (now doing time in the U.S. for drug trafficking)

Plus some other names from the academy that were considered “promising” and never really made it: Jake Thompson, Cedric Baseya, Matt Paterson

Stern John was alright in our Pearson year, probably would have gone down a year earlier without his goals. The 'log jam of strikers' meant we had to let him go though in order for McGoldrick to bang them in for us.

Idiakez was a strange one, he was a star for Derby (along with Rasiak) so when we got him in the summer we got Skacel etc it all seemed pretty impressive. That team was decent - Bale, Claus, Baird, Jesus, Rasiak, Jones, Surman, Skacel, Licka, Viafara, Idiakez, BWP, Pelle, Saganowski & Guthrie from January...and let's not forget Wright. Should have done more than sneak into the playoffs, I think we went a bit all or nothing that summer with our transfers. ''Lets go Wilde'' I think it was.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Stern John was alright in our Pearson year, probably would have gone down a year earlier without his goals. The 'log jam of strikers' meant we had to let him go though in order for McGoldrick to bang them in for us.

Idiakez was a strange one, he was a star for Derby (along with Rasiak) so when we got him in the summer we got Skacel etc it all seemed pretty impressive. That team was decent - Bale, Claus, Baird, Jesus, Rasiak, Jones, Surman, Skacel, Licka, Viafara, Idiakez, BWP, Pelle, Saganowski & Guthrie from January...and let's not forget Wright. Should have done more than sneak into the playoffs, I think we went a bit all or nothing that summer with our transfers. ''Lets go Wilde'' I think it was.

We literally went all or nothing that season, I was probably too young back then to understand the finances involved but looking back we spent well above our means.

The following two seasons were budget cuts, budget signings, closing parts of the stadium, loan players. Disjointed team, disjointed manager and a out of control board.

On 30/03/2022 at 18:58, Singapore Saint said:

I was really pleased too when we signed Prutton, especially when he scored both goals in our 2-0 home win against Liverpool (Paul Sturrock's first game in charge). Optimistic Saints supporters even ventured that he would captain England one day. But he flattered to deceive. Then there were rumours he was living with his mum (mummy's boy) and that he was slightly odd as a result.

I am afraid it was Beattie and Phillips that scored in that 2-0 win over Liverpool. Prutton I think didn't score until the last game of the season away at Charlton

10 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

We literally went all or nothing that season, I was probably too young back then to understand the finances involved but looking back we spent well above our means.

The following two seasons were budget cuts, budget signings, closing parts of the stadium, loan players. Disjointed team, disjointed manager and a out of control board.

shit or bust for sure. I must admit I'm the same as you, i didn't really focus too much on the finances back in those days - but part of me did wonder where we found £6m to spend in one summer, in our second season out of the PL. I thought it was part of a bright new future, looking back now I've read that Wilde gambled on the expectation/hope of investment coming in during 2006 - but it never happened, so that gamble was critical.

What screwed us was that most of our signings for that play off season had minimal resale value, lots of players in their late 20s/early 30s (who had usually played for George Burley at other clubs). Only players we made money on were academy graduates like Bale or Baird (and subsequently Surman) or ones we signed fairly young like Jones. 

3 minutes ago, Berkshire Saint said:

What screwed us was that most of our signings for that play off season had minimal resale value, lots of players in their late 20s/early 30s (who had usually played for George Burley at other clubs). Only players we made money on were academy graduates like Bale or Baird (and subsequently Surman) or ones we signed fairly young like Jones. 

I think we expected more from our Skacel investment though with a potential resale, sadly he turned out to be nothing more than a middling championship player quality wise.

Edited by S-Clarke

I think it is a bit silly to look at that Burley season as being anything to do with re-sale value.

We signed players like Rudi and Rasiak etc to get promoted. Scraping into sixth was the barest minimum we should have achieved and when we blew it in the play offs, we never could recover. We know the rest.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 2

On 01/04/2022 at 09:10, Kenilworthy said:

I am afraid it was Beattie and Phillips that scored in that 2-0 win over Liverpool. Prutton I think didn't score until the last game of the season away at Charlton

Which game did he score in then? I clearly remember him running behind the goal at the northam end giving the scousers some stick before celebrating with our fans

On 01/04/2022 at 09:55, CB Fry said:

I think it is a bit silly to look at that Burley season as being anything to do with re-sale value.

We signed players like Rudi and Rasiak etc to get promoted. Scraping into sixth was the barest minimum we should have achieved and when we blew it in the play offs, we never could recover. We know the rest.

Rasiak played like we were beneath him - I think the night before he was shipped out on loan at the end of the transfer window, he played like his life depended on it  (against Norwich?) the cynical tongue in cheek chat amongst the regulars around us was “he’s first on the list for a drug test tonight”. 

• Like 1

On 02/04/2022 at 22:14, Huffton said:

Which game did he score in then? I clearly remember him running behind the goal at the northam end giving the scousers some stick before celebrating with our fans

That was when we beat them in the relegation season and Crouch scored the other goal

On 02/04/2022 at 23:25, John Boy Saint said:

Rasiak played like we were beneath him - I think the night before he was shipped out on loan at the end of the transfer window, he played like his life depended on it  (against Norwich?) the cynical tongue in cheek chat amongst the regulars around us was “he’s first on the list for a drug test tonight”. 

That didn't stop him putting the ball in the net though. 24 goals in 65 games is not a bad return. I think his attitude suffered when Whiskey George decided it was a smart idea to drop our leading goal scorer in January 2007.