Football and Dementia (Split)

Turkish

9 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Jesus Wept. Ukraine and knee before kick off, now we’ve got namesless shirts to raise awareness of dementia. A never ending conveyor belt of nonsense 

Looks like it’s successfully raised your awareness.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Jesus Wept. Ukraine and knee before kick off, now we’ve got namesless shirts to raise awareness of dementia. A never ending conveyor belt of nonsense 

Looks like it’s successfully raised your awareness.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Just now, Turkish said:

Not really having the desired impact is it when 100% of the people discussing it so far it isn’t aimed at

All I know is the lack of names on shirts is irritating. Not sure how it helps anyone who has alzheimers. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, egg said:

All I know is the lack of names on shirts is irritating. Not sure how it helps anyone who has alzheimers. 

Guess it’s not aimed at you either then. Difficult to work out who it is actually aimed at

Just now, Turkish said:

Maybe we could do a poll on here, who didn’t know about dementia before half time today. Give us a bigger sample size

There’s a difference between ‘knowing of’ and ‘actively thinking about’.

There’s no doubt that acts like this  help fund research through donations, and also lead to people seeking diagnosis and treatment for symptoms earlier.

With dementia, acting earlier really can make a huge difference, and with the UK’s ageing population, it’s only going to become more important to be able to deal with it better.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

There’s a difference between ‘knowing of’ and ‘actively thinking about’.

There’s no doubt that acts like this  help fund research through donations, and also lead to people seeking diagnosis and treatment for symptoms earlier.

With dementia, acting earlier really can make a huge difference, and with the UK’s ageing population, it’s only going to become more important to be able to deal with it better.

Thanks for the lesson 

• Like 1

I don't want anymore messages on the pitch. Stick it on twitter. Its a sport, not a political arena. Not a virtue signalling canvas. 

We pay for the spectacle, not some suits opinion of what we should be doing in our lives. Or can we have a minutes silence on behalf of how much I paid for a tank of diesel today......maybe that will catch on. 

Bin it all off. But, we all know they will do that a week before the Qatar WC starts won't they! Corrupt bullshit. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, suewhistle said:

Don't quote the ****, some of us have him on ignore for reasons which don't need explaining..

This is probably the most repeated post on the forum and I can't tell if it's a superb piece of ironic self-parody or just a coincidence.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, suewhistle said:

Just anger mate, just anger.

Coming from the person who repeatedly has foul mouthed rants and regularly boasts about having people on ignore, you’ve even done it on this thread 🤣🤣

Edited by Turkish

8 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

This is probably the most repeated post on the forum and I can't tell if it's a superb piece of ironic self-parody or just a coincidence.

A lass pushing sixty, boasting about having people on ignore whilst having foul mouthed rants accusing others of anger issues 👏

17 hours ago, Turkish said:

It was part of fundraising for this match , the link is to the players that have been damaged by constant heading of the ball over the years which caused this condition . The PFA have failed to support these players and haven’t done much to highlight their problem.

The FA as well have failed these players , some action has been taken for youngsters but not enough yet.

It is an even worse problem in Rugby where much younger players have shown to have major damage from concussion . Their inaction was highlighted in the 6 nations tournament where a Welsh player passed the rudimentary concussion test by their “medical team” and returned to the pitch staggering !

Concussion can take some time to show symptoms so any player suspected of concussion should be stopped from taking further part in the match and for weeks after . There was another incident where the player lost consciousness briefly but it was ignored .

To sum up it is not nonsense it is a real , and from my own experience of people with this condition , a terrible disease that should be avoided at all costs.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

It was part of fundraising for this match , the link is to the players that have been damaged by constant heading of the ball over the years which caused this condition . The PFA have failed to support these players and haven’t done much to highlight their problem.

The FA as well have failed these players , some action has been taken for youngsters but not enough yet.

It is an even worse problem in Rugby where much younger players have shown to have major damage from concussion . Their inaction was highlighted in the 6 nations tournament where a Welsh player passed the rudimentary concussion test by their “medical team” and returned to the pitch staggering !

Concussion can take some time to show symptoms so any player suspected of concussion should be stopped from taking further part in the match and for weeks after . There was another incident where the player lost consciousness briefly but it was ignored .

To sum up it is not nonsense it is a real , and from my own experience of people with this condition , a terrible disease that should be avoided at all costs.

Yes yes, that's all well and good but Turkish doesn't like it so there's clearly no place for it.

8 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

Yes yes, that's all well and good but Turkish doesn't like it so there's clearly no place for it.

I know a thing or two about Alzheimer’s pal, I cared for my dad for 5 years with it and then had to visit him in a home for 3 years before he died so don’t need patronising about how bad it is or comments about how I don’t like it or being told how awful it is. 

I simply fail to see how players playing half a match without their names on their back helps one bit. Especially when it’s slotted in alongside all the other causes we are constantly reminded of. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I know a thing or two about Alzheimer’s pal, I cared for my dad for 5 years with it and then had to visit him in a home for 3 years before he died so don’t need patronising about how bad it is or comments about how I don’t like it or being told how awful it is. 

I simply fail to see how players playing half a match without their names on their back helps one bit. Especially when it’s slotted in alongside all the other causes we are constantly reminded of. 

Well you know how important it is that everybody is aware of this disease and how it should be avoided  in sport . There is the hereditary factor as well but even the NFL has tried to reduce head injuries so football and rugby should be at the front of the campaign to reduce the chances of Alzheimers disease . 

18 hours ago, Turkish said:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, East Kent Saint said:

Well you know how important it is that everybody is aware of this disease and how it should be avoided  in sport . There is the hereditary factor as well but even the NFL has tried to reduce head injuries so football and rugby should be at the front of the campaign to reduce the chances of Alzheimers disease . 

I’m not sure how world famous footballers not having their names on their shirts for 45 minutes is “at the front of campaign to reduce the chances of Alzheimers desease”

Cant see many people actually slagging it off.

Other than the one person who i certainly thought, and probs lots of people on here would have thought, slagged it off.

Personally, i like that they are raising awareness, which is likely to get more people talking about it, which in turn is likely to lead to greater donations, and possible more  funding.

The irony of this being moaned about by Turkish, which indirectly was kind of their plan, as in to raise the awareness, to get more people talking about it.

Well done big man, you literally could be one of their ambassadors. Or something 👍

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I’m sure their main objective was to have people slag it off on football forums 

Doesn't matter how you started the conversation. What's important is you did.

I didn't even watch the game and didn't know about it, but thanks to you I do now. So through your own indignation about it you have unwittingly done their bidding for them and realised their goal of raising awareness. Well done 👏

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, suewhistle said:

Don't quote the ****, some of us have him on ignore for reasons which don't need explaining..

Wow. This is the sort of language and aggression that will earn you a 2 week ban… providing the mods apply rules consistently… 

1 hour ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Cant see many people actually slagging it off.

Other than the one person who i certainly thought, and probs lots of people on here would have thought, slagged it off.

Personally, i like that they are raising awareness, which is likely to get more people talking about it, which in turn is likely to lead to greater donations, and possible more  funding.

The irony of this being moaned about by Turkish, which indirectly was kind of their plan, as in to raise the awareness, to get more people talking about it.

Well done big man, you literally could be one of their ambassadors. Or something 👍

They wanted people to think it was a shit campaign? Wow, I’m might try and get a job in marketing if that’s the expectation 

32 minutes ago, Dman said:

Wow. This is the sort of language and aggression that will earn you a 2 week ban… providing the mods apply rules consistently… 

I’ve had Sue calling me all sorts of names for years mate, been subject to her abuse and bullying for must be 10 years now, this despite her having me on ignore, which she might have mentioned once or twice. Just think how bad her anger issues would be if the ignore feature didn’t exist. Got to feel a bit sorry for her, lady of that age getting so angry about someone she ignores even exists

Edited by Turkish

1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Doesn't matter how you started the conversation. What's important is you did.

I didn't even watch the game and didn't know about it, but thanks to you I do now. So through your own indignation about it you have unwittingly done their bidding for them and realised their goal of raising awareness. Well done 👏

I’m glad I am able to raise your awareness of Alzheimers. 😇

1 minute ago, LiberalCommunist said:

I just don't understand why Football is the sandwich board for all the worlds problems. Why are we the target demographic? 

And its not like football is squeaky clean. From Blatter/FIFA to dodgy owners, there's scandals everywhere. Can't we palm this crap off to lets say Cricket?

Hmm, good question. Could it be because football is played pretty much everywhere and has a global audience of billions, while cricket attracts significantly less fans/viewers and is only played in a limited number of countries?

1 hour ago, Dman said:

What language do you think it was? I didn't realise that the asterisks I actually typed would trigger you.. As for the aggression on my part, really? He expresses some deeply unpleasant opinions against various minority groups whenever I see him quoted, he starts strawman threads complaining about said minority groups or equality issues just so he can then complain and express his own opinion; but perhaps you've never noticed because you agree with him?

• Like 1