Football phone ind

Tamesaint

As part of the general end of season review I was contemplating the most inane comment I had heard on a radio phone in. I don't know whether callers are being screened better before going on air but this season nothing really stands out. The award would probably go to the (so called) Citeh fans who wanted Pep to be sacked after they failed to win a match. 

My favourite of all time came a couple of years ago when  a Liverpool fan phoned in.  A relatively young lad he proudly claimed that he "was not just a supporter for the good times." He had supported Liverpool "through the bad times as well."

Blimey. Imagine supporting a team that could only finish 8th. 😁

I will never forget on the way back from a particularly adject loss, i think it was Sheffield United in the league cup under Koeman, a saints fan rang in and ended up crying and ranting a screaming down the phone that he wanted to win league titles and cups, it was hilarious.

I know a lot of people hate Adrian Durham but hes a genius at winding people up, some of the bites he gets are brilliant.

In my opinion, football phone-ins contributors are on a par with contributors to football forums. i.e. biased, selfish, usually uninformed. Turkish is right, the best of the hosts are great at getting people to make themselves look even more stupid...

• Like 1

Also not that I’m putting my tin foil hat on, I do think some of the people that call in on Talksport and the like are paid actors, designed to say controversial stuff and generate likes/comments on social media and those silly clickbait websites like sportsbible 

17 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Also not that I’m putting my tin foil hat on, I do think some of the people that call in on Talksport and the like are paid actors, designed to say controversial stuff and generate likes/comments on social media and those silly clickbait websites like sportsbible 

Would not surprise me. There are callers who appear on various different shows, trying to be their own ‘radios personality’

probably loners with mental health issues.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Would not surprise me. There are callers who appear on various different shows, trying to be their own ‘radios personality’

probably loners with mental health issues.

How many have you phoned so far? 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just have to sit in a Footie stadium on a regular basis to realise that they do live amongst us. 

Think I had the caller from Wolverhampton sat right behind me on Saturday - ordinary chap very pleasant to talk to before 3pm then the switch flicked “yam-yam-yam” schizophrenic watching the game in a parallel universe - probably still chuntering all down the M6 to home, gutted that Savage and Sutton weren’t doing 606 to sate his ire with.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, nta786 said:

I'd say, without doubt, a mixture of dinlos, 'paid' callers and also lots of mischievous 'erberts pretending to be from their rivals and acting the spoilt, dribbling mess to make others laugh at them. Man Utd fans used to do it all the time when City started climbing back up from the third division phoning in and claiming to be "citeh, we're massive". and acting like pricks.

2 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

Blimey. Imagine supporting a team that could only finish 8th. 😁

I was going to say that this was known as the Phil Babb years. But actually, he wasn't that terrible, and it turns out they finished 7th on the year I was thinking of. I did notice that the 8th place team of 15/16 had Clyne, Lovren, Llalana, Caulker (can we count him), and Ings in it.

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

I will never forget on the way back from a particularly adject loss, i think it was Sheffield United in the league cup under Koeman, a saints fan rang in and ended up crying and ranting a screaming down the phone that he wanted to win league titles and cups, it was hilarious.

I know a lot of people hate Adrian Durham but hes a genius at winding people up, some of the bites he gets are brilliant.

On the plus side, it does confirm the existence of parallel universes and that you can phone them. A great day for physics as well as phone ins. 🙂

I've not caught many of Adrain Durham's phone ins, and there are plenty of funny ones. There have been a couple of calls where there are clearly vulnerable people calling in, and it's taken a bit longer than you'd like for the penny to drop and the wind up to shift gears. It's to their credit that they do notice and do stop though.

2 hours ago, Piran said:

In my opinion, football phone-ins contributors are on a par with contributors to football forums. i.e. biased, selfish, usually uninformed.

You rang, Sir? 🙂

I've caught a number of World Football Phone ins. There are a lot of regular callers on it. I find it a bit cringy sometimes. But it's clearly a community, it's good for the regulars, and that any cringeness is me being a bit of a git, and that I should get over it. 🙂

Not really been a phone in worth listening to since Danny Baker left 606.

That was full of great stories and funny features. It was also heavily weighted towards the match going fan and the random things that happen at games rather than Dave from Plymouth ranting about a Man Utd team he's never been within a 100 miles of.

I always remember a theme about leaving games early and one bloke phoned in to say he was walking back to his car at a lower league game when the ball got launched out the stadium and hit him on the back of the head. That's the sort of thing I want to hear about.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Not really been a phone in worth listening to since Danny Baker left 606.

That was full of great stories and funny features. It was also heavily weighted towards the match going fan and the random things that happen at games rather than Dave from Plymouth ranting about a Man Utd team he's never been within a 100 miles of.

I always remember a theme about leaving games early and one bloke phoned in to say he was walking back to his car at a lower league game when the ball got launched out the stadium and hit him on the back of the head. That's the sort of thing I want to hear about.

Agree with you. Danny Baker mostly gets on my tits, but he was well suited to the phone-in on 'Talk Radio' as it was back then. The quality of caller and topic was a better listen, with a few tunes bunged in along the way, no surprise but there was a lot of Millwall and West Ham 'sorts' regularly calling in. It did seem very London-centric but it made for an interesting couple of hours on a drive back from somewhere.

Tom Watt eventually took over and he was pretty good too imo. I mostly knocked the phone-ins on the head soon after as they went rapidly downhill with all the dinlos calling up.