City of Culture 2025

whelk

11 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Good grief. Firstly, I made it about 20 seconds through that poem before I had to mute it. Secondly, is our ‘culture’ really just two minutes of generic diversity cliches being ticked off?

I'm backing Wrexham. V little to do with culture but watchable :) 

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

Good grief. Firstly, I made it about 20 seconds through that poem before I had to mute it. Secondly, is our ‘culture’ really just two minutes of generic diversity cliches being ticked off?

Hey dude it’s cool living in the shadow of a high rise. We don’t deserve it after seeing that

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

There was a white fella in there somewhere to be fair.

3 hours ago, whelk said:

What’s it actually mean? Want us to win it of course but assume we won’t as will want to go somewhere poverty stricken up North like Bradford. True levelling up by the Tories

Nailed it.

I watched our bid on the one show last week. It made Southampton look like the glamour of Monte Carlo with the history of Rome, cracking spin on a pretty non descriptive middle sized place. However  Another occasion where we’ve lost in the final. Glorious failure yet again is become our trade mark. Southampton a city that thrives on always falling a little bit short when it matters.

Would have been great to win.

There's plenty going on here now compared to 10 years ago or so. Obviously it doesn't compete with a lot of bigger cities but it's doing fine. Winning the City of Culture would have given it another push though.