Hampshire CCC 2023

Window Cleaner

Great win,delighted for Nye Donald. I understand figures,but for the life of me,do not understand Duckworth Lewis. Could someone on here please explain to me how Hampshires net run rate went down from 1.171 to 1.048 when they won the game ? Surely it should of gone up by a miniscule at least with a win.

1 hour ago, Andrew Watson said:

Great win,delighted for Nye Donald. I understand figures,but for the life of me,do not understand Duckworth Lewis. Could someone on here please explain to me how Hampshires net run rate went down from 1.171 to 1.048 when they won the game ? Surely it should of gone up by a miniscule at least with a win.

You'd think so but no, basic arithmetic says otherwise.  It's an average over the 8 games so any game average less than you already had will reduce the total average.  Look at it this way. For 7 something or others you have an average of 10, in the 8th something or other you only have an average of 5, so the new total average is 70+5/8 =9.375 so your average has gone down. Today's match was close so our relative run rate would have been much lower than the 1,1 or so that we had beforehand.

I did a bit of approximative fag packet calculation and we'd have needed to knock off the 326  runs in about 37 overs, scoring rate a bit less than 9 an over. So a good T20 rate really.

Edited by Window Cleaner
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

I wonder what the rules (and morality) are of bringing in the players who have been eliminated from the hundred to play the rest of the competition (particularly the final if we get there).

Howell, Dawson, Crane, Wood, Turner and Ellis have all been eliminated so should we be getting them ready for Sunday...

Who goes back to Worcestershire, and would they play ?

2 hours ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

I wonder what the rules (and morality) are of bringing in the players who have been eliminated from the hundred to play the rest of the competition (particularly the final if we get there).

Howell, Dawson, Crane, Wood, Turner and Ellis have all been eliminated so should we be getting them ready for Sunday...

I think we had this debate last year. I don't remember who played but we lost anyway.

I noticed today Payne of Fire played for Gloucestershire.

1 hour ago, Picard said:

I think we had this debate last year. I don't remember who played but we lost anyway.

I noticed today Payne of Fire played for Gloucestershire.

4 hours ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

I thought Turner was injured anyway, not sure that Ellis plays anything other than T20 for the Hawks. Crane plays already in the ODC. Dawson and Howell would be handy but I think we may leave it as it is.

On 22/08/2023 at 19:21, Window Cleaner said:
On 22/08/2023 at 18:48, Andrew Watson said:

You'd think so but no, basic arithmetic says otherwise.  It's an average over the 8 games so any game average less than you already had will reduce the total average.  Look at it this way. For 7 something or others you have an average of 10, in the 8th something or other you only have an average of 5, so the new total average is 70+5/8 =9.375 so your average has gone down. Today's match was close so our relative run rate would have been much lower than the 1,1 or so that we had beforehand.

I did a bit of approximative fag packet calculation and we'd have needed to knock off the 326  runs in about 37 overs, scoring rate a bit less than 9 an over. So a good T20 rate really.

Also, to clarify, this is simply net run rate, nothing to do with the Duckworth/Lewis method of calculating revised targets when the game is disrupted.

29 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

A bit of a slap in the face for the likes of Currie, Kelly and Jack who got us to this stage but understandable I guess. Batting well after an iffy start, should post a healthy 300+.

Stumbled over the 300 mark, probably 20 light of what we should have scored after being 272:4 after 42 overs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

A bit of a slap in the face for the likes of Currie, Kelly and Jack who got us to this stage but understandable I guess. Batting well after an iffy start, should post a healthy 300+.

They stuck with the young players for the semi final last year and it didn’t work so that’s probably why they aren’t doing it this time. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Jack is with the England U19’s I think. Anyway good win - when’s the Semi?

• Like 1

Great win - getting to the final here and the t20, and being competitive in the championship is pointing to another good season. Really good to see some young players come through / progress.

and if you also like t16.4 then Brave women’s finally won and men did pretty well (although no idea how Weatherly ever makes a franchise cricket team…)

Can we go a stage further and finally win the championship next year ???

• Like 3

On 03/09/2023 at 16:57, Window Cleaner said:

Not too bad today after we chose to bat first.  Would be better if we could eliminate the aimless wafting outside off stump.

Ducks for Middleton and Prest though.

For their respective ages, Prest and Middleton have played quite a lot of cricket this year, I would think they're probably knackered by now, and the season still has another two rounds and the one-day final! I'd like to see Prest kick on, but he seems to have done so already in white ball so I'd expect his test batting to improve in the next year or so, and Middleton will need more time, he's still very junior really.

Eddie Jack and Dom Kelly both featuring regularly for the England u-19s is good to see too.

1 hour ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

For their respective ages, Prest and Middleton have played quite a lot of cricket this year, I would think they're probably knackered by now, and the season still has another two rounds and the one-day final! I'd like to see Prest kick on, but he seems to have done so already in white ball so I'd expect his test batting to improve in the next year or so, and Middleton will need more time, he's still very junior really.

Eddie Jack and Dom Kelly both featuring regularly for the England u-19s is good to see too.

Good perf from Kelly today: 3 wickets and 50 n/o as he batted England to victory.

• Like 1

On 29/08/2023 at 18:50, Hodgey said:

Great win - getting to the final here and the t20, and being competitive in the championship is pointing to another good season. Really good to see some young players come through / progress.

and if you also like t16.4 then Brave women’s finally won and men did pretty well (although no idea how Weatherly ever makes a franchise cricket team…)

Can we go a stage further and finally win the championship next year ???

Need a couple of additional players Robson from Middx could be a good choice

13 hours ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Can someone tell me why Liam Dawson is not in the England set up for test & 50 over games?

It’s a fair shout - Dawson has had a few chances, but like Vince you have to say there are bigger shouts. Ahmed is clearly destined for big things and there are arguments for others too - Jacks is handy and a much more explosive batter.
The shame really is that we have two players who are class but just outside England quality and we haven’t taken the clear advantage of having them all season.

I’d love to see Hampshire developing a genuine young spinner - outside of Dawson we seem to have Organ who is a bit of an inconsistent all rounder and Prest who is a batsman. Crane we don’t seem to know what to do with / don’t rate highly enough. It’s a bit of a gap but it wouldn’t surprise me if we poached Rahim given his Brave link.

• Like 1

The Cricketer reports Dawson was going to be in the World Cup squad until Stokes made himself available.

In other news Hants docked 3 points and fined for a below standard pitch Vs Essex. If you're going to prepare a dodgy wicket at least win the game!

14 hours ago, Picard said:

n other news Hants docked 3 points and fined for a below standard pitch Vs Essex. If you're going to prepare a dodgy wicket at least win the game!

Were Essex docked for that shocker they prepared last year to suit Harmer?  That was a hammer blow to our championship hopes losing that game

2 hours ago, Barsiem said:

Were Essex docked for that shocker they prepared last year to suit Harmer?  That was a hammer blow to our championship hopes losing that game

They didn't "prepare" that pitch especially, it is it's normal condition. A "below standard" pitch for Essex is one that Harmer fails to take a wicket on.

Edited by badgerx16

On 09/09/2023 at 13:22, Picard said:

The Cricketer reports Dawson was going to be in the World Cup squad until Stokes made himself available.

In other news Hants docked 3 points and fined for a below standard pitch Vs Essex. If you're going to prepare a dodgy wicket at least win the game!

BBC: Hampshire have been deducted three points in the County Championship for preparing a "below average" pitch for their match against Essex in July.

A further 20-point penalty has been suspended until the end of next season.

3 points this season is irrelevant. 

The 20 suspended points will be deducted if the club commits any further breach of the Pitch Regulations in relation to the County Championship on or before that date. The Beeb didn't mention that little fact. :facepalm:

3 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

BBC: Hampshire have been deducted three points in the County Championship for preparing a "below average" pitch for their match against Essex in July.

A further 20-point penalty has been suspended until the end of next season.

3 points this season is irrelevant. 

The 20 suspended points will be deducted if the club commits any further breach of the Pitch Regulations in relation to the County Championship on or before that date. The Beeb didn't mention that little fact. :facepalm:

Here is the judgement: https://resources.ecb.co.uk/ecb/document/2023/09/09/883188b5-4841-4043-bdae-3d523ec30fb7/ECB-Hampshire-Hearing-Summary-Decision.dotx

By my calculations about half of the pitches would be below average.