Nathan Jones

AlexLaw76

9 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I’ve only read this thread once but I don’t think I’ve seen anybody say that. Who has said it? 

This post and the three people who liked it

On 07/04/2024 at 13:56, danjosaint said:

He was a proper bell end but I think id rather him than Mr smug arrogant prick, we certainly wouldn't  be any worse league table wise 

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Not the same thing. He said we wouldn’t be any worse off position wise, not we’d “definitely” be above Martin’s team, as you put it. Quite a difference between the two.

3 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Yes, he got Luton into the top 6 one time, that’s a decent enough achievement. It’s a heck of a stretch to go from that to him definitely having us up above where Martin’s team is, which is what’s being said openly on this thread. Nobody was walking away from that wolves game thinking, "thank goodness he’s the right man to bring us straight back up."

I think the point is that Nathan Jones is a manager who has actually delivered for teams in the two divisions he has managed in. He's a brilliant bet for a play off place or promotion.

Whereas Russell Martin has delivered fuck all at both other clubs he managed, with a pitiful goals against record in both clubs. He's a nothing manager currently on track to deliver nothing much for us too.

You have grudgingly granted NJ with a "decent enough" achievement. But we're all waiting for anything that Martin has ever done anywhere in his entire career that is "decent enough".

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

With all things considered to suggest any manager of around championship level could’ve had us in at least 4th this season does not sound unrealistic. Even if it was the awful Jones. 

Also “mr smug arrogant prick” was well worth a like.

• Like 2

I don't get this, I can only assume it's part of some collective wind up. Nathan Jones is the worst manager we've ever had. He could have continued to be just as dreadful in the Championship had he stayed. Now for some reason people are arguing that he certainly couldn't be worse than 4th, a possition he's never taken a team to in his life.

He once finished 6th with Luton, so what? He could just as easily have replicated the season he finished 12th, or his dreadful season at Stoke. Why is that one 6th place definitely the season he will replicate and even exceed here, this season.  Harry Redknapp won this League with Pompey in 2003, then got relegated with us, playing far better than Jones' team ever did. How did 2005/6 go? He was definitely a better manager for us than Adkins, who achieved absolutely nothing at Scunthorpe, right?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I’m not sure what you’re not getting. Apart from not being able to read properly.

I understand what is being said fine thanks. Some people seem to be under the impression that our worse manager in recent history would certainly be at least as good as where we are now, with the implication that he may well do better. I disagree, really quite strongly.

11 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I understand what is being said fine thanks. Some people seem to be under the impression that our worse manager in recent history would certainly be at least as good as where we are now, with the implication that he may well do better. I disagree, really quite strongly.

Hard to label him our worst manager in recent history.. we were shit under three differant managers last season .. it’s hard to pin it all on him.

personally I’d have preferred keeping him then replacing him  with selles.. 

13 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Hard to label him our worst manager in recent history.. we were shit under three differant managers last season .. it’s hard to pin it all on him.

personally I’d have preferred keeping him then replacing him  with selles.. 

It's really not hard to say he was the worst manager we've had. He showed up, failed to use the World Cup to prepare his side and got us playing the worst football I've seen in the last ten years and I include Mark Hughes, the tail end of Ralph and Selles in that. His signings in January were panic buys that we'll be paying for for years. He lost the dressing room in record time. There was no light at the end of the tunnel.

Martin has, for his faults, taken a team that was broken and in the process of being broken up and played some decent stuff. Sure, he's also made some bizarre decisions but seriously show me a football manager that doesn't make bizarre decisions. I don't see Jones getting the results we've seen this season. 

• Like 4

Have to say I am astounded by the assumption that NJ could have taken the relegation squad and new additions to a 4th place in the championship. He lost the dressing room last season, had he stayed we would have gone down with even less points, and all the decent players would have gone. Would KWP had stayed under Jones? I think not, in fact would any senior players have stayed? 

We would have started the season in total disarray, any new guys coming in would not have come into any dressing room harmony, it would have been the prefect storm for total implosion. I am not a RM fan, far from it, I can not understand his obsession with shoehorning in a dreadful Stephens, with a stubborn determination to continue with GB, with playing players out of position and leaving players who can play on the bench, bizarre at best, but he has got us playing some good football at times, and at times we look very good, something that NJ NEVER even came close too. 

• Like 1

I don’t think people are saying that had jones stayed, got relegated, somehow kept his job, we’d now be in the play off places.

I think what they’re saying is had Jones come in when Martin did and straight from Luton, he’d probably get this squad to the play offs as well. 

I don’t think anybody thinks he should be managing us, or anybody thinks he did anything other than a hopeless job when he did. But the fact remains he did a better job at Luton than Lego did at MK Dons & Swansea. 

• Like 6

16 hours ago, coalman said:

It's really not hard to say he was the worst manager we've had. He showed up, failed to use the World Cup to prepare his side and got us playing the worst football I've seen in the last ten years and I include Mark Hughes, the tail end of Ralph and Selles in that. His signings in January were panic buys that we'll be paying for for years. He lost the dressing room in record time. There was no light at the end of the tunnel.

Martin has, for his faults, taken a team that was broken and in the process of being broken up and played some decent stuff. Sure, he's also made some bizarre decisions but seriously show me a football manager that doesn't make bizarre decisions. I don't see Jones getting the results we've seen this season. 

Yeah it’s not really possible to compare jones vs Martin . Jones came into a awful side with not much creativity no decent strikers, a hologram gk and a team full of losing mentality in the premiership.. I don’t think it’s a coincidence all three managers where shit last season- it wAs a difficult job made even more difficult by the fact supporters and media being on his back almost streight away 

it is possible that if jones was brought in this season instead he could have done a decent job 

sometimes for a manager it’s about being in the right place at the right time.

koeman for example came into a half decent foundation after poch and did superb, he did shit at Everton though 

hoddle same, great with us  terrible at spurs 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, steveo said:

Have to say I am astounded by the assumption that NJ could have taken the relegation squad and new additions to a 4th place in the championship. He lost the dressing room last season, had he stayed we would have gone down with even less points, and all the decent players would have gone. Would KWP had stayed under Jones? I think not, in fact would any senior players have stayed? 

We would have started the season in total disarray, any new guys coming in would not have come into any dressing room harmony, it would have been the prefect storm for total implosion. I am not a RM fan, far from it, I can not understand his obsession with shoehorning in a dreadful Stephens, with a stubborn determination to continue with GB, with playing players out of position and leaving players who can play on the bench, bizarre at best, but he has got us playing some good football at times, and at times we look very good, something that NJ NEVER even came close too. 

Absolutely no one is making that assumption. No one.