Nathan Jones

AlexLaw76

2 hours ago, malcolm waldron said:

Very painful memories indeed.   Is it just me or did he appear to spend most of that video talking to himself?

"Romeo done"??

While giving at least one look to the camera, ruining that "we've-just-happened-to-catch-a-genius-coach-at-work" plan behind his self-promotion. The players looked about as thrilled as ours did.

• 3 weeks later...

Say what you like about the boy but now unbeaten in four.

In the last three matches he has played the top three in the division, unbeaten, two draws and a win.

I think the Charlton fans will start believing.

• Like 1

When I looked at some of their forums, a lot seemed only too happy to focus on his times at Luton. Who he did really well with. So, if they are willing to buy into his methods and he has a group he's not out of his depth with, they've every chance. Reading have just been docked another 2 points. Good for Jones, if not Selles.

8 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

When I looked at some of their forums, a lot seemed only too happy to focus on his times at Luton. Who he did really well with. So, if they are willing to buy into his methods and he has a group he's not out of his depth with, they've every chance. Reading have just been docked another 2 points. Good for Jones, if not Selles.

Agreed, he was a total flop at saints, felt horribly out of his depth and seemingly never had the players with him.  None of that means he won’t find success with his hoof ball elsewhere, it worked at Luton after all.

one thing I think we can all agree on though is that he is not one of the best managers in Europe 😂

10 hours ago, CB Fry said:

In the last three matches he has played the top three in the division, unbeaten, two draws and a win.

beat Man City with us too, you can say what you like about Nathan Jones but he gets results against the top sides.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, CB Fry said:

They’ve been aggressive in every game. Romeo done! 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, a1ex2001 said:

one thing I think we can all agree on though is that he is not one of the best managers in Europe 😂

I kind of remember him saying that he was pound for pound the best, in various stats cross referenced with his available budget. Front footedness, aggression, pressing  rather than the level it was at, or success at winning things.

So, depending on Charlton's budget, it may be only a matter of time before his ego takes over his mouth at another interview. 🙂

On 27/02/2024 at 22:05, Holmes_and_Watson said:

One of my neighbours is a big Luton fan and we were discussing Jones on one of our morning dog walks a few weeks back. His take was that Jones was successful at Luton because many of their players owed him professionally and so they were essentially prepared to walk on water for him. When he went to Stoke the players had no such loyalty to him for their success or otherwise and all that was left was Jones rather spiky, somewhat narcissistic personality which grated with the players to the extent he lost the dressing room. This idea of a professional debt allowed him to go back to Luton and get them to the play offs before he joined Saints as they were the same players. At Saints the situation at Stoke was repeated with inevitable consequences.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 28/02/2024 at 17:06, AlexLaw76 said:

Interestingly, Luton did the double over Swansea last season.....

Something for the Statto’s out there:

Swansea 0 - Luton 2 ( Swansea had 75% possession)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62517792

Luton 1 - Swansea 0 ( Swans 58% possession).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64760949

Second match - Nathan had left Luton at this stage and was about to get the push from Saints. Martin sent off in this game. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Our old pal Nathan is tearing it up at Charlton.

Hired off the back of 12 matches without a win under Appleton, after an initial defeat his record since then is DDDWDWWDDDW.

He's steered them away from relegation into the comfort of mid-table and the fans love him. 

He could have just stayed in Merthyr and married some Welsh bird but no, he wanted better than that. And now he's got it. 

Come on Rasmus, do the right thing. It's time to bring our boy home to take the helm for a front-footed, aggressive run at the play-offs. 

Edited by Midfield_General

2 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I’d rather go for a beer with NJ than I would with Russ.

I just picture the bar and club fight scenes from Trainspotting, with Nate in place of Begbie.

1 hour ago, Midfield_General said:

Our old pal Nathan is tearing it up at Charlton.

Hired off the back of 12 matches without a win under Appleton, after an initial defeat his record since then is DDDWDWWDDDW.

He's steered them away from relegation into the comfort of mid-table and the fans love him. 

He could have just stayed in Merthyr and married some Welsh bird but no, he wanted better than that. And now he's got it. 

Come on Rasmus, do the right thing. It's time to bring our boy home to take the helm for a front-footed, aggressive run at the play-offs. 

Two ex saints who didn't make the grade here as wing backs yesterday too. It's a sign. 

#unfinishedbusiness

#bringmadnathhome

3 hours ago, danjosaint said:

He was a proper bell end but I think id rather him than Mr smug arrogant prick,  we certainly wouldn't  be any worse league table wise 

Ridiculous,jones had us playing some of the worst football I've ever seen us play

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jimmysaint7 said:

Ridiculous,jones had us playing some of the worst football I've ever seen us play

I could forgive people for looking back on someone like Burley or Sturrock with roses tinted glasses but Christ, Jones was barely a year ago.

Just a couple of highlights for anyone who has forgotten how utterly dreadful his tenure was:

• Like 2

He's publically fell on his face twice when trying to work with players at a certain level. For all the self promotion, he doesn't trust himself or his approach at all when dealing with certain people.

With us, he thought he'd learned from that.  But clearly nothing had changed.

On a more general point, it's good that anyone drives themselves to learn, brush themselves off and go again. Leading from a lower league may just really suit him.

We ended up with a fragile, egotist devoted to a style that quickly became a confused mess. He had more than run his course with us, before he left.

We'll just have to see if our current getting chippier, egotist, devoted to a style of play goes the same way. 🙂

3 hours ago, danjosaint said:

He was a proper bell end but I think id rather him than Mr smug arrogant prick,  we certainly wouldn't  be any worse league table wise 

What a ridiculous take that is.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Stripey McStripe Shirt said:

It is impossible to imagine being lower than...*checks notes*...4th in the table...

Have another look at your notes: we're in the Championship, a massive drop off in quality from the PL.

Not that I'm defending Jones, he was an appalling manager. Unfortunately his successors RS and RM are not much better, which is a damning indictment of Ankersen and his SR team.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

Have another look at your notes: we're in the Championship, a massive drop off in quality from the PL.

Not that I'm defending Jones, he was an appalling manager. Unfortunately his successors RS and RM are not much better, which is a damning indictment of Ankersen and his SR team.

Selles I’ll give you but wasn’t even a manager. Jones was dreadful, I don’t know if there’s ever been another full time manager in football history who failed to score a point at home throughout his tenure but by golly Jones managed it. Russ is fourth, solidly in the playoffs despite being hampered by (apparently) the worst goalkeeper who’s ever played football. He’s had a decent season, people who are talking about second as being the bare minimum: dream on!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Selles I’ll give you but wasn’t even a manager. Jones was dreadful, I don’t know if there’s ever been another full time manager in football history who failed to score a point at home throughout his tenure but by golly Jones managed it. Russ is fourth, solidly in the playoffs despite being hampered by (apparently) the worst goalkeeper who’s ever played football. He’s had a decent season, people who are talking about second as being the bare minimum: dream on!

If we'd finished third having given Leeds and Leicester a good run for their money, finishing a few points behind them, we'd be disappointed but would have few complaints, especially if they both finish on 100 or more points.

But we're going to finish miles behind them, and Ipswich too, who have a far inferior squad. Mainly due to his frequent poor tactics and baffling line ups. That's not good enough.

Edited by Dark Munster
  • Like 13

59 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Selles I’ll give you but wasn’t even a manager. Jones was dreadful, I don’t know if there’s ever been another full time manager in football history who failed to score a point at home throughout his tenure but by golly Jones managed it. Russ is fourth, solidly in the playoffs despite being hampered by (apparently) the worst goalkeeper

The standard of the leagues you’re comparing is totally different. At this level Jones got Luton into the play offs. I suggest that’s every bit as good as Martin has done at Swansea or Southampton. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

The standard of the leagues you’re comparing is totally different. At this level Jones got Luton into the play offs. I suggest that’s every bit as good as Martin has done at Swansea or Southampton. 

When he left Luton he was 9th, by the end of that season they had plumetted to 3rd. We are currently 4th. I've no idea how you can extract, "Jones can't possibly be worse than Martin," from that. Jones is the most utterly dreadful manager I've ever seen at Saints, not one redeeming feature. The football was dreadful to watch, the results were abysmal, he wasn't even more likeable than Russ. He looked completely out of his depth, then there was that, "I've been trying to please other people, now I'm going to start doing it my way," interview, when he implied none of it was his fault. They may have been different leagues but Jones' results fell off a cliff from what Ralph was doing, and that was despite having our easiest fixtures and a month long WC in order to prepare.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

When he left Luton he was 9th, by the end of that season they had plumetted to 3rd. 

Was in the playoffs the season before, and not far off the playoffs when he left.

Martin is about to kind of match that record

16 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

When he left Luton he was 9th, by the end of that season they had plumetted to 3rd. We are currently 4th.

The last full season at Luton he got them in the play offs, which is exactly where Russball has taken a far better Saints squad. I wouldn’t be so sniffy about 9th either, it’s a higher finish that Martin achieved in 2 seasons at Swansea. He also got Luton to 2nd in lesgue 1 something Russ couldn’t manage at MK Dons

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

The last full season at Luton he got them in the play offs, which is exactly where Russball has taken a far better Saints squad. I wouldn’t be so sniffy about 9th either, it’s a higher finish that Martin achieved in 2 seasons at Swansea. He also got Luton to 2nd in lesgue 1 something Russ couldn’t manage at MK Dons

Jones was the worst manager I've ever seen at Saints and by all accounts was equally dreadful at Stoke too. Christ knows what would have happened had he stayed but I can't for the life of me understand why some people are so convinced he couldn't possibly be below fourth. We've just failed to score in a game for the first time since September and people are talking as if Martin is Branfoot in a rubber mask.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Jones was the worst manager I've ever seen at Saints and by all accounts was equally dreadful at Stoke too. Christ knows what would have happened had he stayed but I can't for the life of me understand why some people are so convinced he couldn't possibly be below fourth. We've just failed to score in a game for the first time since September and people are talking as if Martin is Branfoot in a rubber mask.

It’s laughable that you give credit to Martin for getting Southampton into a play off place, whilst refusing to give Jones any for doing the same with Luton. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

It’s laughable that you give credit to Martin for getting Southampton into a play off place, whilst refusing to give Jones any for doing the same with Luton. 

Yes, he got Luton into the top 6 one time, that’s a decent enough achievement. It’s a heck of a stretch to go from that to him definitely having us up above where Martin’s team is, which is what’s being said openly on this thread. Nobody was walking away from that wolves game thinking, "thank goodness he’s the right man to bring us straight back up."

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

It’s a heck of a stretch to go from that to him definitely having us up above where Martin’s team is, which is what’s being said openly on this thread. 

I’ve only read this thread once but I don’t think I’ve seen anybody say that. Who has said it?