Nathan Jones

AlexLaw76

Funny this QPR link. Meet a QPR fan at works do couple of weeks ago when Jones was still in charge. He was not a fan, putting it mildly, and said that he acted badly at QPR when Luton beat them. Said a lot of other qpr fans didn’t like him. 

Another place I’m sure he will be warmly welcomed. Just keeps making friends wherever he goes

• Haha 2

everything about that hotsaint account in its short tenure was gold. 

from the confusion over how long they’re lived in luton almost as if they were telling a fib, the low temper replies kicking out at fans comments questioning jones (almost identical to the man himself), the claims of not being able to wait until jones takes saints ‘up the league and to wembley’. being the first to comment on anyone know anything about bree? - of which they said how he’s got a good temperament and great at set plays (jones said himself bree was technically good like ward-prowse), not seen on this forum since a few days before jones was sacked by which he’d have known his time was almost up. It’s got to have been him, perhaps clutching at straws or maybe I just want to believe it as the thought of him coming back from training and matches to comment on SaintsWeb and create a fanboy account is hilarious. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SotonianWill said:

everything about that hotsaint account in its short tenure was gold. 

from the confusion over how long they’re lived in luton almost as if they were telling a fib, the low temper replies kicking out at fans comments questioning jones (almost identical to the man himself), the claims of not being able to wait until jones takes saints ‘up the league and to wembley’. being the first to comment on anyone know anything about bree? - of which they said how he’s got a good temperament and great at set plays (jones said himself bree was technically good like ward-prowse), not seen on this forum since a few days before jones was sacked by which he’d have known his time was almost up. It’s got to have been him, perhaps clutching at straws or maybe I just want to believe it as the thought of him coming back from training and matches to comment on SaintsWeb and create a fanboy account is hilarious. 

If it was, I'm a bit disappointed I didn't get a "Oh nice...lovely." in response to one of my posts. Missed chance there.

If it was him, I'd have expected more of a stats approach to Luton's success. And posts that should have stopped after a sentence, going on for a page. And massive flame wars.

Pre match conference:

Nathan, you look tired today. Is your position weighing on your mind?

No. I was up 'til 3, putting that Saintweb lot in their place.

Some are saying your online posts launch attacks on others.

No, they are front footed, aggressive posts. Pound for pound, my saintsweb posts are top in quality and banter of any poster across Europe.

But not Canada, Australia or Singapore, to name 3 others... oh, he's stormed off... 🙂

• Haha 1

On 19/02/2023 at 06:57, SotonianWill said:

Nathan finally got a win under his belt yesterday playing for Cranborne FC. He got an assist but then had to come off injured before half time. 

BBE6090F-CDBB-4527-861B-893164EC59E3.jpeg

What's nice to see is, unlike his epic fail at trying to impersonate a Premier League manager, he actually looks like he belongs there.

Mad Nate has found his level. Wonder if he could be tempted to turn player-manager? Anything higher up the ladder will likely start incurring at least some level of media duties, and my sides have barely recovered from the last one, in terms of stuff and certain things.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

With a bit of luck, it will lower the amount he gets from us, as a payoff, when he takes over a new club. Rasmus probably worried over that being Man City or Chelsea, but Oxford will work just as well.

Not by much.  He’ll be looking at minimum wage at Oxford.  We might be better off he he did a Sunday paper round instead.

• 1 month later...
On 04/02/2023 at 16:06, Maggie May said:

The experiment hasn’t worked. He’s had months here now and we are regressing further and further. He’s garbage.

May as well tempt Hodgson out of retirement. 

The board should have listened to me! 

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Nathan Jones
  • 5 weeks later...

Nathan on Sky. It was a learning curve. But, he felt that, had he got enough results to get a little more time, he would have improved. Didn;t want to be drawn into any headline making, such as "would he have kept them up?"

He's presumably on there as he's available for clubs looking for a fresh, front footed, aggressive approach from a manager who helped the start of a successful championship campaign with Luton. If you can think of a club in, or going into, that division looking for such a manager, please contact Nathan.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11700/12880318/nathan-jones-admits-southampton-spell-was-a-huge-learning-curve-after-three-month-reign

11 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Nathan on Sky. It was a learning curve. But, he felt that, had he got enough results to get a little more time, he would have improved. Didn;t want to be drawn into any headline making, such as "would he have kept them up?"

He's presumably on there as he's available for clubs looking for a fresh, front footed, aggressive approach from a manager who helped the start of a successful championship campaign with Luton. If you can think of a club in, or going into, that division looking for such a manager, please contact Nathan.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11700/12880318/nathan-jones-admits-southampton-spell-was-a-huge-learning-curve-after-three-month-reign

I almost miss him 

• Confused 2

4 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

If you find the "almost" dropping out of that sentence, let us know. We've got some highlights to show you. Well, lowlights really... 🙂

Still feeling like the good old days right now 😢 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

What must he be thinking now.

Basically he is never there for the glory. He walked out to Stoke during the season they went up from L1 and obviously repeated the trick this season.

So he obviously did good work there but his name never on the tin for any actual real honours.

Never mind, though 😂😂😂😂

Edited by CB Fry
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

human emotion is weird. I still feel awkward in his sense but yet he was absolutely terrible for us. 

Is a shame he didn't stay with Luton, although who knows if they'd be in this position if he had. I also think if our players weren't so disgracefully awful he might have had more of a chance (not exactly a hot take). I quite liked his attitude at the start, was quite funny to watch the way he snapped back and I really wanted him to work but sadly not. If we had been a bit more successful I'm sure a lot more fans would have bought in to his personality. Think the way the rest of the season has gone under Selles it shows the real problem was the absolute no show from our team this season.

The question I'm asking myself is whether Jones could have really done any worse than Selles. When I hear that JWP says he rather enjoyed the season I wonder whether the hard-nosed Welshman might have been shown the door because he was getting a bit fed up with the players' losing mentality.

3 minutes ago, obelisk said:

The question I'm asking myself is whether Jones could have really done any worse than Selles. When I hear that JWP says he rather enjoyed the season I wonder whether the hard-nosed Welshman might have been shown the door because he was getting a bit fed up with the players' losing mentality.

I don’t think Jones could have done any worse. In hindsight we probably should have just stuck with him. 

However he made his position untenable with his ridiculous & insane press conferences 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Basically he is never there for the glory. He walked out to Stoke during the season they went up from L1 and obviously repeated the trick this season.

So he obviously did good work there but his name never on the tin for any actual real honours.

I’m sure his contribution to Luton’s upward trajectory features on his CV and in interviews.

“Now then Russell, can you tell us about … ?”

56 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

I don’t think Jones could have done any worse. In hindsight we probably should have just stuck with him. 

However he made his position untenable with his ridiculous & insane press conferences 

if that is the case why was he given the Wolves game ? 

Nathan Jones gets credit for promotions achieved by other managers with better records at Luton, Mick Harford who got them promoted from League One when Nathan Jones was taking Stoke to the bottom of the Championship, and Rob Edwards who got them promoted from the Championship when Nathan Jones was taking Saints to the bottom of the Premier League.

If Nathan Jones had stayed at Luton, they wouldn't have achieved either promotion.

At least Luton fans appreciate the favour we did them by taking him away:

Posted by True fan on 27/5/2023, 21:08:19

Biggest of thanks to.....Southampton for taking nathan jones when they did.

We should learn from that. It's worth noting how much more successful other managers were at the clubs Russell Martin has managed. Paul Tisdale got MK Dons promoted from League Two, Russell Martin only took them to 19th and 13th. Then Liam Manning took them to 3rd in League One. At Swansea, Steve Cooper took Swansea to 4th with a 44.76% win rate. Then Russell Martin took them down to 15th (Swansea's worst finish in the 2nd tier since 1984) and 10th with a 35.53 % win rate. It's only a late run this season that gives Russell Martin's poor managerial record even the merest veneer of respectability.

Edited by Nordic Saint
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

We should learn from that. It's worth noting how much more successful other managers were at the clubs Russell Martin has managed. Paul Tisdale got MK Dons promoted from League Two, Russell Martin only took them to 19th and 13th. Then Liam Manning got them promoted from League One. At Swansea, Steve Cooper took Swansea to 4th with a 44.76% win rate. Then Russell Martin took them down to 15th (Swansea's worst finish in the 2nd tier since 1984) and 10th with a 35.53 % win rate. It's only a late run this season that gives Russell Martin's poor managerial record even the merest veneer of respectability.

Talk about manipulating and making up history to make a (very) bad point.

They didn't get promoted under Liam Manning. He was then sacked the following year after they were rooted to the foot of the table, since then it's been a downward trajectory leading to relegation to L2.

Swansea had the financial issues to deal with during Martins reign, as they'd gone past that 2 year out of the PL milestone and their squad had regressed massively. No money to improve things and it was a case of make do with what they had (whilst losing Mark Guehi and the likes). They were always going to regress and Cooper saw that and jumped.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, wadesmith said:

For once Twitter gets it right. This bloke stopped Man City doing the quadruple . That’s the legacy right there.

As Kalvin Phillips glories in his contribution to the triple someone should point out that he was a starter in the game that cost them the quad

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, bangkoksaint said:

What annoys me is that in the next game instead of picking the same team and using similar tactics he changed everything. I can’t be bothered to look but wasn’t it Leeds away? I was at that game and it was absolutely woeful. 

Leeds away was under Selles, game after we beat Chelsea but the same applies.

However, the game after we beat Man City was Everton away which we also won.

16 minutes ago, bangkoksaint said:

What annoys me is that in the next game instead of picking the same team and using similar tactics he changed everything. I can’t be bothered to look but wasn’t it Leeds away? I was at that game and it was absolutely woeful. 

Djenepo and Mara scored and were never seen again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Cat said:

Leeds away was under Selles, game after we beat Chelsea but the same applies.

However, the game after we beat Man City was Everton away which we also won.

That’s right Cat. I was at that game too and whilst we won we changed the team and didn’t particularly go at them like we did City. It was tinkering for tinkering sake. He should have gone with the same team and said to them that the shirt was theirs to lose.

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, bangkoksaint said:

That’s right Cat. I was at that game too and whilst we won we changed the team and didn’t particularly go at them like we did City. It was tinkering for tinkering sake. He should have gone with the same team and said to them that the shirt was theirs to lose.

Hahaha yeah we were all annoyed when we won 3 games in a week whilst rotating the squad.