Ruben Selles

Dusic

1 hour ago, SNSUN said:

I went to school at Bearwood (many moons ago) so I'm very familiar with the area but I haven't been back since the new Reading training ground went in although I might see it if I move over that way (as I probably intend to at some point). Glad to hear they're doing well now even with the ownership situation hanging over their heads. While I'm a Berkshire boy born and bred I have no real strong feelings about Reading FC but they were the first opponents I saw when I went to my first Saints game (Elm Park, '96, FA Cup 3rd round), a few friends of mine support them and I went to school with their former owner so I am hoping they keep their heads above water.

The training ground bought some land from Bearwood College (now Reddam House) the golf course along Mole Rd and Bearwood Riding Centre where my daughter used to ride. Lots of changes in recent years though. Houses and new roads built seemingly everywhere around Wokingham. There is now a Winnersh relief road. 

11 hours ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

My work colleague went up to Carlisle today and said the fans were buzzing. They're really grateful with what he's done with all the other crap going on at the club. Still can't quite work out what went wrong with us. 

They took 1300 up there which is impressive. I think he's one of a relatively new breed of manager who is first and foremost a 'good person' which is why he's carried the fans with him through the adversity in plenty that they've had. As to last season he wasn't right for what we needed post Jones who doesn't come into the category of being such a 'good person'. The way I saw it is probably not dissimilar to most. Ralph was losing the dressing room and should have been replaced in the summer not at the WC break, Jones tenure ensured the dressing room was lost and it was too big a job for Selles to turn around as the damage was already done. Plus we were shit which didn't help.

12 hours ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

I think you're right. My work colleague went up to Carlisle today and said the fans were buzzing. They're really grateful with what he's done with all the other crap going on at the club.

Still can't quite work out what went wrong with us. At Stamford Bridge roughly this time last year, we were singing his praises. I genuinely think it was the squad that was so shit and not him.

Huge difference between managing at PL and managing L1.  Look at Jones for another example, doing great at Charlton after being a catastrophe for us.

And plenty who watched the Chelsea game at the time acknowledged that, whilst it was a great win, we rode our luck massively.  I felt at the time it was nuts to give Selles the job full time after one game

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barsiem said:

Huge difference between managing at PL and managing L1.  Look at Jones for another example, doing great at Charlton after being a catastrophe for us.

And plenty who watched the Chelsea game at the time acknowledged that, whilst it was a great win, we rode our luck massively.  I felt at the time it was nuts to give Selles the job full time after one game

7 points from his first 6 games. Not what I’d call “great” tbf.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

It's decent considering who they have played in that time and the fact that, like Reading, there's a terrible atmosphere at the club because fans want the owners out.

They got draws against Pompey and Bolton and won away at Derby. 

Probably end up one of those managers who is solid below the top flight. Similar to a lot of players. No disgrace in that, it's a very hard job and only the elite establish themselves as consistently good Premier League managers.

52 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Look at their form before those 7 games and tell me it's not a big improvement, particularly given who they've played in that time as The Cat points out

10 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

Look at their form before those 7 games and tell me it's not a big improvement, particularly given who they've played in that time as The Cat points out

Oh it’s a definite improvement, and I’m sure he’ll do well there.

With their owner defaulting to HMRC, everyone connected to the club will be hoping that there are no further points deducitons to drag them back into it. 

With us, he had been part of two failed regimes. To varying degrees, but still at the club. He did try his tactic, but it wasn't working and he was reduced to making sure all his post match interviews sounded the same ahead of his next job.  It needed an overhaul and there was no time left to do that.

Ironically, the consistency in his approach to disaster is a plus point at Reading, where disaster coems form many sources.

His background should make them a bit tighter at the back. He's got a decent coaching background so no reason why he can't do well at that level, and maybe higher.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Reading fans were chanting his name last night after Reading are all but safe in L1 after a 2-0 away win at Bristol Rovers. Happy for the guy, he seems a good bloke. Sure he was massively out of his depth here, but he cared and tbh the job he's done at Reading in such toxic circumstances?

Round of applause I'd say, it's done his stock no harm at all.

• Like 28

A good guy, put in an impossible situation with us.  In what other profession would you get your first role at the very top.  Like our squad last season, some promise but too young to be thrown together at once.

Pleased for Selles 

On 10/04/2024 at 13:45, AlexLaw76 said:

fair play to him. What he has done at Reading has been remarkable

It is impressive but chatting to the more discerning mates locally they reckon he’s far from the finished article and one thinks he’s more a number 2 rather than head coach. That said he has been a figurehead for the club through their travails and it is good to here the locals speak so highly of him.

Pleased it’s worked out for him.

He’s done a good job in difficult circumstances. Trouble for Reading  is that after one decent season he probably feels ready for ‘the next level’ and a mid-table Championship or a more ambitious and financially secure L1 club will take a punt on him.