Ruben Selles

Dusic

On 26/05/2023 at 09:01, Chez said:

So fucking what? KWP has been woeful this season and his crossing is shite too.

The point being you don't call out other players like you do with Perraud. Your fixation with him just seems bizarre. Let's face it there have been plenty of candidates this season.

On 27/05/2023 at 11:50, Yozzman said:

The point being you don't call out other players like you do with Perraud. Your fixation with him just seems bizarre. Let's face it there have been plenty of candidates this season.

Hmmmm. I don't think I have said a nice word about Onuachu since he got here, Chelsea game apart. Or maybe you think me calling him a poor man's Kev Francis is some sort of compliment? 

I slate every Saints player if I feel they are not good enough or they have been playing poorly, and have done so for 20 years on Saints forums, but perhaps you only notice the Perraud remarks because the rest get lost in the the thousands of other Eli moans etc. Criticism stands out because many seem to fawn over him and I don't share their opinion at all. Signing and being happy with Championship standard players is a sure fire way of getting yourself into the championship. 

We've found his level now, so he will be an asset next season.

Edited by Chez

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ruben Selles

Ruben Selles:

"After the match against Brighton [on 21 May] they called me in for a meeting the next day, where they told me that they wanted to go in a different direction. I respect that and it is the club’s decision,”

“I would have liked to have stayed and continued with the project, because I now know everything at Southampton. I know the players, what personnel we need for the coaching staff, the environment and the country. But again, it’s not my decision. They made a different decision and I respect that.”

"I have already spoken to clubs in England and Spain. Let’s see who’s interested in talking to me and starting a project together,” 

"I have always said that I have had four fantastic years in Denmark at Århus and Copenhagen respectively. I have good personal and football memories. My family had a very good time in Denmark, so I am open to a job there,”

“I consider the Superliga to be a good league, so if it happens and someone is interested, it will be my pleasure."

“My priority is to get to a place where I feel that the club believes in me straight away and where I can be allowed to develop a project that can be taken to a new level. I want a place that trusts my plans right away. There is an ambition to deliver results, but it is also about time when you want to establish yourself at a new level.”

• 2 weeks later...

"My priority is to get to a place where I feel that the club believes in me straight away and where I can be allowed to develop a project that can be taken to a new level. I want a place that trusts my plans right away. There is an ambition to deliver results, but it is also about time when you want to establish yourself at a new level.”

He does say "club" when talking about not being believed. Does that refer to us chatting to Marsch or others? Does he think he should have got in after Ralph left? He was part of putting the plans in place with Ralph. I imagine there being tension with Jones, but wonder how he feels he wasn't supported. Apart from SR's incompetence in putting a squad together just like his predecessors.

His wanting time rather than results actually matches SR's guff. While both are out there working on projects to take things to new levels, actual competitive people will be actually winning games to achieve just that.

Even if it failed, his profile is a lot higher having got the job with us. A job he'd not have got had SR not been clueless and desperate. I'm sure he can tell other clubs good reasons for it going wrong, that aren't his fault. The quote is already well down that road. And the showreel of consistent press interviews will look good, even as they defied reality at the time.

1 hour ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

What does he think about League 1?

Oh, so he is coming back after all then? 🙂

He clearly is aiming high after all his comments of going abroad or a really big project in the uk. 

Probably fits the brief of complete chaos. 

Just really pisses me off with how clubs like us are run. Dragan has all the right intentions , I just hope he becomes a lot more hands on with all the board changes, and doesn’t accept the yes men / women from coaches to management.

Sorry to be romantic but bring back NC. 

38 minutes ago, Saint Gifford said:

Sorry to be romantic but bring back NC. 

Would have Cortese in charge of Dragan’s cash pile over Sport Republic in a heartbeat. We need a no nonsense leader at the helm, not a wannabe football guru taking stabs in the dark at the next genius decision that never work out.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, egg said:

People yearning for NC have either forgotten, or didn't know, what he was like. There are reasons why he left and have been covered time and time again.  

And why no other club have employed him, despite him being a wonder chairman in some peoples eyes

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

And why no other club have employed him, despite him being a wonder chairman in some peoples eyes

Indeed. I'd rather have Jones back as manager than that fella back here in any capacity. Calling him a loose cannon would be a compliment. 

The issue with Cortese is that people are blinded by the good times, you automatically think anyone around the club during the good times were perfect - but it was far from the truth when you looked at it in more detail.

If we had him in charge during this period, rather than Semmens, I think he'd be universally hated. Anyone can look good with someone elses cash, but when that cash dries up you need to have something else about you, or your big billy bollocks routine falls flat on it's arse.

19 minutes ago, egg said:

People yearning for NC have either forgotten, or didn't know, what he was like. There are reasons why he left and have been covered time and time again.  

I haven’t forgotten. I enjoyed Cortese’s reign. I liked the fact that he pissed people off and did what he wanted to do. If it wasn’t for the passing of Markus, we would have been in a much stronger position with those pair running the club than we are now. Kat pulled the plug on the funding and without the cash, what could NC do? 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Do we know whether or not he's been actively looking to get back involved in football again since he left us? (Genuine question as I've no idea)

5 minutes ago, Zorba said:

I haven’t forgotten. I enjoyed Cortese’s reign. I liked the fact that he pissed people off and did what he wanted to do. If it wasn’t for the passing of Markus, we would have been in a much stronger position with those pair running the club than we are now. Kat pulled the plug on the funding and without the cash, what could NC do? 

He overspent by tens of millions and irked players, clubs, agents, and god knows who. Sure, a selfish fan not thinking beyond his/her enjoyment may have looked past that, but fortunately Kat wasn't willing to. 

7 minutes ago, Zorba said:

But she didn’t pull the funding, did she? The funding continued pretty strongly with her until she sold 80% to Gao, that’s when the funding got pulled.

Also to answer the bit in bold: quite a bit if he was a competent executive? We still had a top half wage bill for our time under her ownership.

It was only once Gao became the majority shareholder that Semmens was tasked with wrestling the wage bill down. At one point it was the biggest wage bill outside the top 6, from memory, 

• Like 1

Just now, egg said:

He overspent by tens of millions and irked players, clubs, agents, and god knows who. Sure, a selfish fan not thinking beyond his/her enjoyment may have looked past that, but fortunately Kat wasn't willing to. 

Happy days!

I completely respect everyone’s opinions of course.

All I can go on is results the feeling I had as a supporter and around the ground and club of my Southampton during the NC and ML partnership. 

I never met either of them but I couldn’t give a crap if he upset a couple of people in the tea room or was a bit stand off ish with the mega store staff. 

I know it was only the tipex trophy, but that was the last piece of silverware we have won under guess who. 

ML seemed perfectly happy taking his pictures on the pitch with his insta max on the day. 

We were professional, dare I say “corporate” with a plan and a vision back then. Not afraid to make changes for the good of the club.

( I seem to remember a certain Potts that  hasn’t resorted to applying for the Reading job. He seems to have done ok).  

I am probably talking out my ass but, I’m sure one of the Milan clubs were wanting to get involved with him back in the day, and unless someone is his best mate no one knows what happened there. 

My opinion and as I said I respect other people’s view, but if we had half the vision and professionalism as we did back then, I am convinced we would not be where we are now. 

We just need to get back to that, Dragan I am sure wants the same and needs to surround himself with the right people. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Saint Gifford said:

All I can go on is results the feeling I had as a supporter and around the ground and club of my Southampton during the NC and ML partnership. 

I never met either of them but I couldn’t give a crap if he upset a couple of people in the tea room or was a bit stand off ish with the mega store staff. 

I know it was only the tipex trophy, but that was the last piece of silverware we have won under guess who. 

ML seemed perfectly happy taking his pictures on the pitch with his insta max on the day. 

We were professional, dare I say “corporate” with a plan and a vision back then. Not afraid to make changes for the good of the club.

( I seem to remember a certain Potts that  hasn’t resorted to applying for the Reading job. He seems to have done ok).  

I am probably talking out my ass but, I’m sure one of the Milan clubs were wanting to get involved with him back in the day, and unless someone is his best mate no one knows what happened there. 

My opinion and as I said I respect other people’s view, but if we had half the vision and professionalism as we did back then, I am convinced we would not be where we are now. 

We just need to get back to that, Dragan I am sure wants the same and needs to surround himself with the right people. 

"Professionalism" is not a word that applied. The "right people" will not include NC, and neither should it. As for the remainder, you either don't understand or don't want to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Saint Gifford said:

I am probably talking out my ass but, I’m sure one of the Milan clubs were wanting to get involved with him back in the day, and unless someone is his best mate no one knows what happened there

🤣🤣🤣🤣 don’t tell me you believed all that crap. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, trousers said:

Do we know whether or not he's been actively looking to get back involved in football again since he left us? (Genuine question as I've no idea)

Given his god like status and AC Milan begging him to join for 5 years you’d think he’d be able to name his price at any club in world football wouldn’t you

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Gifford said:

I speak from knowing people inside the club during that period of time, it was the only sour note to what was a very successful few years.

People are not lying when they were told that certain corridors were only reserved for certain people, or that they had to say what they were told or they'd be chopped. It was like a dictatorship during that period of time and people inside the club, the normal-every day working people, were living through hell every single day. We had a massive turn over of staff that aren't visible to the regular supporter.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Saint Gifford said:

I know what happened there, and I'm not his mate.

What happened there is he did not ever get a job at either of the Milan clubs. Ever.

• Haha 1

Completely perplexed as to why any club with winning ambitions would be considering Selles. Absolutely dreadful. Nathan Jones would be a much better option for Reading and that really is saying something.

It's honestly nuts that Selles is in consideration for any manager job, let alone one at championship level.  At least with Jones you could point to his great work at Luton in two different spells. 

Just shows how a manager's profile and "experience" is valued so much more than their actual record

1 hour ago, Barsiem said:

It's honestly nuts that Selles is in consideration for any manager job, let alone one at championship level.  At least with Jones you could point to his great work at Luton in two different spells. 

Just shows how a manager's profile and "experience" is valued so much more than their actual record

Reading are a League One side nowadays but the point probably still stands 😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Barsiem said:

Selles will become in time an excellent manager. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1