Ruben Selles

Dusic

Sounds quite likely that he will be the manager, at least for the next few games.

Lots of chat about how highly rated he is, and seemingly the players like him.

However, his CV doesn't suggest he is anywhere near ready for something like this and he has of course been one constant in the coaching staff throughout this shit show of a season.

Lets hope he does well, and if he is to be in this role for a while, leta hope the club and its decision makers take the courtesy of telling fans that and explain their decision. Always felt it odd that there were no quotes alongside the Jones appointment.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

At the end of the day he's not Jones, so that's an immediate win.

But....he has been involved in our worst ever PL season at every stage, so he cannot be excluded from any blame in terms of how it's gone so far. Obviously as a coach he wouldn't have had full autonomy, so it'll be interesting if he's going to make any drastic changes now he can.

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

If Selles does get the gig he’ll surely have to appoint at least one coach. Jones brought 2 along with him and we’re surely losing them (no loss). Interesting to see who steps up.

Big Kelvin is dusting off his gloves

• Sad 1

If he was in any way good we wouldn't have been so awful for so long. The players need a change of direction with someone fresh, not a continuation of what hasn't worked with someone who was already here. With how this is playing out, it seems like Sports Republic want a yes man or certainly someone that will do what they instruct them to do. Depressing. 

• Like 3

Look at his background, it's the perfect quirky fit for our board.

Seems to have a really good profile in many media outlets, nearly every sentence refers to him as "highly rated".

In terms of his ability to hit the ground running as a Premier League manager, he has zero experience and would represent another massive gamble after the massive gamble appointing NJ.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dusic said:

Sounds quite likely that he will be the manager, at least for the next few games.

However, his CV doesn't suggest he is anywhere near ready for something like this and he has of course been one constant in the coaching staff throughout this shit show of a season.

Lets hope he does well, and if he is to be in this role for a while, leta hope the club and its decision makers take the courtesy of telling fans that and explain their decision. Always felt it odd that there were no quotes alongside the Jones appointment.

Something like what? Keeping relegation respectable till the summer or becoming our long term manager. I'd argue he's fine for the former(see what Jackson did at Burnley last season), there's no data as to whether he could be the later but at least he's not an expensive falure i guess.

I keep reading that he’s highly rated. By whom exactly?

Doesn’t appear to have ever played professional football and seems to have spent his entire coaching career as an assistant in Russia, Azerbaijan, Greece and Denmark with a brief spell as U18s coach in Spain. Before someone says Mourniho never played the game either at least he worked with some amazing clubs and managers. Don’t get it myself 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dusic said:

That's one way to selles Selles

Just now, Turkish said:

Doesn’t appear to have ever played professional football and seems to have spent his entire coaching career as an assistant in Russia, Azerbaijan, Greece and Denmark with a brief spell as U18s coach in Spain. Before someone says Mourniho never played the game either at least he worked with some amazing clubs and managers. Don’t get it myself 

I believe Matt Crocker led the search and hired him so his network must of recommended him.

1 minute ago, Convict Colony said:

Guys he's not Nathan Jones, that in itself is an improvement on last Saturday.

I can almost guarantee bednerak won't be in the squad unless he's chopped off CBs legs.

Reckon he goes offensive v Chelsea and any other games as we have to dare to win games rather than fear to lose.

Can't believe we end up doing the double over Chelsea. I love the script writers.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Not that it's too relevant as it was a cup game, but he lined up with a 4-2-3-1 in the Sheffield Wednesday game, with a CB at LB.

And picked one or two odd ones including the pretty useless Elyounoussi which worried me…

Not sure and would lean towards Marsch personally.

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Me neither. He was a coach that SR told Ralph he needed to make, they said Ralph needed a coach but the club had to approve him. He’s done nothing with us to excel. He’s moved around from lower league job to lower league job. The idea that he is premier league ready as a manager seems absurd to me. I know we’re not in a good place right now but putting him in charge to the end of the season would be a disaster IMO, I don’t think we’ll do it.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

I believe Matt Crocker led the search and hired him so his network must of recommended him.

I’m not saying he’s not great he might be the new Mourniho but is it one of those situation where people say he’s highly rated because other people say he is? I’ve not really seen any evidence to back this up. I’m also not saying he’s the new Eric Black and everything is his fault, but nothing tells me why everyone says he’s highly rated. He’s never really done anything. 

• Like 1

Everyone sees Selles travels as being a bad thing.

I look at it as a young coach going out to test himself and his approach in ever increasing positions and league status to get experience.

He speaks 4 languages (Welsh obvs wasn't one) and I re-read the article from the athletic about him when he was hired and sounds good.

He didn't choose to be incharge he's the assistant and answered the clubs call so we might as well back him at least for Chelsea and hope for the best but hold SR to account for their actions this season for the managerial decisions.

He's worked for 2 differing managers in a new league in a clusterfuck of a club, if the players like him then I expect a much improved performance and at least there is 1 thing selles does and that he actually bollocks the players when warranted.

Dear reader please note - I am not Spanish or a selles relative 🤣

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Me neither. He was a coach that SR told Ralph he needed to make, they said Ralph needed a coach but the club had to approve him. He’s done nothing with us to excel. He’s moved around from lower league job to lower league job. The idea that he is premier league ready as a manager seems absurd to me. I know we’re not in a good place right now but putting him in charge to the end of the season would be a disaster IMO, I don’t think we’ll do it.

Reading this i was expecting his Wiki to show him having spent time at Accrington Stanley, not FC Copenhagen.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I’m not saying he’s not great he might be the new Mourniho but is it one of those situation where people say he’s highly rated because other people say he is? I’ve not really seen any evidence to back this up. I’m also not saying he’s the new Eric Black and everything is his fault, but nothing tells me why everyone says he’s highly rated. He’s never really done anything. 

Understand but we ain't in the football world, not too many rumours or analysis of assistant coaches etc for us to read.

Only people in and around the club will be able to judge whether he’s capable of doing a decent job. What was his input under Ralph & then Jonesy? Is he respected by the players, is he their mate or is he capable of upsetting a few. Inside appointments are the one time I’d listen to a couple of the experienced pros, what do they think. Wily & Theo have played for some really good managers, JWP for about 78 different saints mangers. If I was running the club I’d ask them their opinions, they’re the ones that’ll know if he’s got a chance of doing the job. Has he an aura about him, or will the players think he’s the bib and balls man over promoted. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 2

Just now, Lord Duckhunter said:

Only people in and around the club will be able to judge whether he’s capable of doing a decent job. What was his input under Ralph & then Jonesy? Is he respected by the players, is he their mate or is he capable of upsetting a few. Inside appointments are the one time I’d listen to a couple of the experienced pros, what do they think. Wily & Theo have played for some really good managers, JWP for about 78 different saints mangers. If I was running the club I’d ask them their opinions, they’re the ones that’ll know. 

The general theme coming out via all the club leaks (Jeremy Wilson/Jacob Tanswell etc) are that he's well liked and respected by the players, but if that's the case you have to wonder why they've not really listened to him a great deal this year. (if what he's telling them is actually working).

When we grabbed him in the summer there were a few things dotted around on him, weirdly there was a thread on the FC Kobenhaven version of SaintsWeb and they were lauding him for overhauling their defensive solidity. Can't say I've seen much evidence of that here yet, but then we dont know how much input he has been allowed to have.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

JWP for about 78 different saints mangers. If I was running the club I’d ask them their opinions, they’re the ones that’ll know if he’s got a chance of doing the job. Has he an aura about him, or will the players think he’s the bib and balls man over promoted. 

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha can anyone name them all.

Edited by Convict Colony

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

When we grabbed him in the summer there were a few things dotted around on him, weirdly there was a thread on the FC Kobenhaven version of SaintsWeb and they were lauding him for overhauling their defensive solidity. Can't say I've seen much evidence of that here yet, but then we dont know how much input he has been allowed to have.

That’s the key for me, what was his input under Ralph & then under Jones? 

4 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

This is what we're about to find out I guess! Like someone else mentioned though, he doesn't have much support around him, apart from Carl Martin the former U18 coach.

If we do decide to stick then he will need to be supported by experienced coaches, but it all feels a bit Wotte and Poortvliet to me if I'm honest.

Edited by S-Clarke

2 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I think under Ralph it took a bit of time before he got some input but he seemed to get good changes done in the in-game management, especially when we were behind, going back to 4, getting rid of bednerak etc.

On sat I watched him and he was sat in the chair looking at the screen a lot so I guess the Muppet show were running the games more.

Always hard to tell tho.

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

The general theme coming out via all the club leaks (Jeremy Wilson/Jacob Tanswell etc) are that he's well liked and respected by the players, but if that's the case you have to wonder why they've not really listened to him a great deal this year. (if what he's telling them is actually working).

Exactly the same was said about Gray and then Wigley. 

Being popular as a coach isn’t necessarily indication of becoming a good head coach or manager. 

I also remember reading he’d been the defensive coach at his previous club. 

Just now, Badger said:

Exactly the same was said about Gray and then Wigley. 

Being popular as a coach isn’t necessarily indication of becoming a good head coach or manager. 

I also remember reading he’d been the defensive coach at his previous club. 

exactly, like I said above it's got a whiff of Gray/Wigley and Wotte and Poortvliet to me.

I hope I'm wrong but it all feels a total cluster f.

9 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

What makes you think that was him and not Ralph? 

Cos I watched it on TV as it was happening multiple times and he came up to Ralph and they had a energetic discussion and then a change gets made etc.

It might be him and Ralph but he was at least involved in these positive changes.

I especially enjoyed his involvement in subbing bednerak off and then watching his meltdown on the bench.

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 1

Just now, Convict Colony said:

Cos I watched it on TV as it was happening multiple times and he came up to Ralph and they had a energetic discussion and then a change gets made etc.

It might be him and Ralph but he was at least involved in these positive changes.

Wasn't it the game against Chelsea where he had quite an animated chat with Ralph? And then we turned it around. Can't remember the details of what changed after that, but I'm sure it was that game and we were all lauding it at the time, as Ralph never had the people to challenge him before etc.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ruben Selles