Ruben Selles

Dusic

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Wasn't it the game against Chelsea where he had quite an animated chat with Ralph? And then we turned it around. Can't remember the details of what changed after that, but I'm sure it was that game and we were all lauding it at the time, as Ralph never had the people to challenge him before etc.

Thought it was the Leeds game where fans were sure he convinced Ralph to sub Bednarek. Jesse marsch was struck blind, deaf and dumb by the move that's why he did nothing to counteract Saints scoring twice (or maybe he secretly wanted to become saints manager)

Just now, Baird of the land said:

Thought it was the Leeds game where fans were sure he convinced Ralph to sub Bednarek. Jesse marsch was struck blind, deaf and dumb by the move that's why he did nothing to counteract Saints scoring twice (or maybe he secretly wanted to become saints manager)

Oh yes, that was the one. I'm sure he was animated against Chelsea as well.

We'll find out if he's any good shortly.

28 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

The general theme coming out via all the club leaks (Jeremy Wilson/Jacob Tanswell etc) are that he's well liked and respected by the players, but if that's the case you have to wonder why they've not really listened to him a great deal this year. (if what he's telling them is actually working).

When we grabbed him in the summer there were a few things dotted around on him, weirdly there was a thread on the FC Kobenhaven version of SaintsWeb and they were lauding him for overhauling their defensive solidity. Can't say I've seen much evidence of that here yet, but then we dont know how much input he has been allowed to have.

They liked Steve Wigley as well and he was absolute car crash as a manager. 

• Like 5

We dont need somebody who is 'liked' by this squad of failures. We need somebody who can get a long overdue turn out of them. Time will tell if Selles is capable of that. 

Outside of Marsch, there doesnt look to be many decent replacements who are willing to come in at this stage. I would rather have Selles than bringing in the likes of Allardyce etc. The likes of Lampard, Gerrard etc would want a longer term contract and I dont think we should commit to that for managers who ordinarily wouldnt be our preferred long term option. They could be no better and we're stuck with them into next season or forced into another big pay out.

If we get relegated (as expected), there will be better long term managerial options in the summer and as mad as it sounds, we'll probably be a more attractive option than our current position.

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Selles - who’s he highly rated by and why?

He could be the equivalent of Mr Barroclough from Porridge. Just a pushover, hence the players “like him”. 🤣 

It's like teachers. Don't be the teacher the kids like, be the one they respect. That's the one that gets results.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Does it? Unless they offer him a contract it seems much more let's keept things ticking over till the summer.

Ticking over?

The clock stopped ages ago. 

We need a clean sweep. Selles has been part of both managers failures. He's never managed. He's never played. He's not remotely qualified, by experience, to manage us. 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, egg said:

Ticking over?

The clock stopped ages ago. 

We need a clean sweep. Selles has been part of both managers failures. He's never managed. He's never played. He's not remotely qualified, by experience, to manage us. 

Don’t you get it? He was behind the brilliant decisions against Leeds & Chelsea and also got Janny B sent out on loan. For gods sake don’t you watch the bench during the game? Nobody had ever challenged Ralph before, and  forget about the actual game he managed, just pick out the odd good points of the season, and attribute them to him. Get onboard. Ffs 

• Like 1

One thing is clear. 

Jess Thorups results changed significantly after Selles left.

I would argue that Selles was somewhat sidelined when Jones, Sheehan and Cohen arrived.

I remember Tanswell tweeting out halfway through Jones' tenure that Selles was actually sat next to Jones for the first time.

This is how Selles was announced at Copenhagen...

Screenshot_2023-02-15-22-11-48-81_df198e732186825c8df26e3c5a10d7cd.thumb.jpg.6cbf5bbd01cf2baa16f7cb943488a00a.jpg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Nolan said:

One thing is clear. 

I would argue that Selles was somewhat sidelined when Jones, Sheehan and Cohen arrived.

I remember Tanswell tweeting out halfway through Jones' tenure that Selles was actually sat next to Jones for the first time.

Screenshot_2023-02-15-22-11-48-81_df198e732186825c8df26e3c5a10d7cd.thumb.jpg.6cbf5bbd01cf2baa16f7cb943488a00a.jpg

For better or worse?

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Selles - who’s he highly rated by and why?

He could be the equivalent of Mr Barroclough from Porridge. Just a pushover, hence the players “like him”. 🤣 

Alternatively they might like him because he's like Mr Mackay or Godber or Fletcher or none of them..who would know...

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Nolan said:

One thing is clear. 

Ok so just to be clear, Copenhagen good results were down to Selles but the shit we’ve seen this season isn’t anything to do with him? Appreciate that’s an over simplification but probably an argument it’s better to back away from.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Ok so just to be clear, Copenhagen good results were down to Selles but the shit we’ve seen this season isn’t anything to do with him? Appreciate that’s an over simplification but probably an argument it’s better to back away from.

Remember how Danny Rohl was responsible for all our good results, when he left it was the reason why we struggled for a bit. Apart from the time when we went top of the league of course, he was long gone by then so no idea who that was down to. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, egg said:

For better or worse?

Thorup was sacked last year.

6 hours ago, revolution saint said:

Ok so just to be clear, Copenhagen

good results were down to Selles but the shit we’ve seen this season isn’t anything to do with him? Appreciate that’s an over simplification but probably an argument it’s better to back away from.

It's really down to how much the manager want to take on board of his ideas in the end.

It sounds as if Hassenhüttl got more insular, and Jones kept him at arms reach.

7 hours ago, egg said:

For better or worse?

just done the Statistics (Across all Competitions) : 

Selles was Thorup's Assistant for 66 Games. (Between 1/1/21 and 30/6/22)

W40 (61%)   D15 (23%)   L11 (16%)

Thorup had a further 14 games after Selles came to Saints (Between 1/7/22 and 18/9/22)

W5 (36%)      D2 (14%)     L7 (50%)

Thorup had 8 Games at Copenhagen before Selles joined (Between 4/11/20 and 31/12/20)

W4 (50%)       D1 (12.5%)   L3 (37.5%) 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Turkish said:

I keep reading that he’s highly rated. By whom exactly?

Doesn’t appear to have ever played professional football and seems to have spent his entire coaching career as an assistant in Russia, Azerbaijan, Greece and Denmark with a brief spell as U18s coach in Spain. Before someone says Mourniho never played the game either at least he worked with some amazing clubs and managers. Don’t get it myself 

Tripadvisor, Checkatrade and Airbnb  

Random pros and cons.

Brought in by the club who highly rate him. There were hints that had Ralph's time ended more naturally, he might be in the frame. Possibly part of a project based succession plan, that would see the next assistant coming in take over here, or at another SR club. SR 's recruitment choices have taken a bit of a knock though.

It's difficult to know what we'll get. He may be liked and respected. But that's a lot easier, if you're not calling the shots. Being too nice might even be to the detriment of the squad, if they needed consistent critical feedback from the whole coaching team. But respect is a must for him to take over.

As noted, he's been very much a part of two very poor managerial spells. However, we did briefly look to be a little more defensively solid. That was one of the things he was brought in for.  SR not bringing in a striker, and selling Romeu, renders a lot of that moot. Without an attacking outlet, or midfield cover the team is not likely to do well.

He did offer Ralph and NJ feedback. We'll find out how much of this was useful, but ignored, and how much made a difference, in due course.

Not being the man of either manager could have been either divisive or a much needed independent voice. We don't know. At least there was some separation between him and managers that were not/ no longer working out.

He's got no managerial experience of note, and stepping up offers loads of new challenges. The squad are going to have to respect and support the changes too. However, he has been coaching premier League players for a while. NJ and co seemed to have some difficulty in dealing with players at this level.

He's still left with the same, although recently reinforced squad, as any other incoming manager would have. Not something to expect miracles from. He'll have a lot of familiarity with them, and will have already made a lot of choices. The players may we'll know what those are too.

We may get a gem just waiting to step out into managerial life. Or we may get someone who can't take the step up and a continuation of our terrible season.

SR were clearly looking at other people, so we'll see how long this caretaker role goes. We need every win we can get, so I can only hope the manager we needed was with us all the time. As unlikely as that might seem.

• Like 2

Tanswell's Athletic Articles from Last August and Novemeber are worth a read:

August: Ruben Selles: Ralph Hasenhuttl’s new No 2 and his ‘special’ journey to the Premier League - The Athletic

November  Selles’ influence is only growing at Southampton – and the players love it - The Athletic

Here is what Jakob Ankerson, said about his time at Aarhus

“It was pretty funny because when Ruben came, things just changed,” Ankersen continues. “The club hadn’t won anything in 25 years and it was always an up and down team. But when he came, he started with basic drills. He would work with the back four, teaching them when to push up, when to drop off, and working together in a compact shape.

“All this basic shit that people hate to do; but it’s really important. He just did it and didn’t care if these boring drills took 40 minutes or more. It had a really good effect and the tactical changes he installed were the reasons why the two years together were successful, and ended with us finishing in our best position in the 21st century.”

But its well worth paying for access to the full articles.

• Like 1

I'll be interested to see the presser for the Chelsea game (assume it's today?).  Difficult to say much about him as none of us have ever heard him speak and we know nothing about him other than where he's been.  What sort of tactics and formations does he like?  Is he a spiky little git like Jones or more personable?  

I don't really think a guy who has so far bounced around a few minor leagues as an assistant coach deserves to be given a chance to cut his managerial teeth at a premier league club but it'll be interesting to hear him speak.

Is there an internal bet at the club to see how we can do with as little experience as possible? 

- Tennaged keeper 

- Manager who’s never managed

- Striker who’s never played in the PL before

- Child wingers 

- Chop and change the defence every game so we never build any rhythm or playing experience. 

What could possibly go wrong? 

Selles always felt a bit of a weird appointment, Im sure he is a fantastic coach and ‘hopefully’ he can carry us atleast competetively until the end of the season

However

It just never felt like a good fit, I understand why they’d want to offer Ralph someone to challenge him, however if Ralphs issue was that his stubbornness, then why would he listen to Selles ?

Equally with Jones, the club has effectively said, work with this guy, even though he had his own coaches

Naturally a manager is going to resist outside influences, especially one’s appointed by the club

It just always felt to me as an awkward and forced dynamic

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Selles always felt a bit of a weird appointment, Im sure he is a fantastic coach and ‘hopefully’ he can carry us atleast competetively until the end of the season

However

It just never felt like a good fit, I understand why they’d want to offer Ralph someone to challenge him, however if Ralphs issue was that his stubbornness, then why would he listen to Selles ?

Equally with Jones, the club has effectively said, work with this guy, even though he had his own coaches

Naturally a manager is going to resist outside influences, especially one’s appointed by the club

Yeah, I get that. Normally managers bring their own coaches with them but Selles has found himself working under two bosses neither of who chose him. I guess this makes him a bit of an unknown quantity because he probably hasn't had much of a say in how he'd like the team to operate. We're about to find out if he has much about him although it would be unfair to judge him until he has a number of games under his belt. Assuming he'll do the press conference we'll see what he has to say and his team selection and formation will also be very interesting

7 minutes ago, saintant said:

Yeah, I get that. Normally managers bring their own coaches with them but Selles has found himself working under two bosses neither of who chose him. I guess this makes him a bit of an unknown quantity because he probably hasn't had much of a say in how he'd like the team to operate. We're about to find out if he has much about him although it would be unfair to judge him until he has a number of games under his belt. Assuming he'll do the press conference we'll see what he has to say and his team selection and formation will also be very interesting

Yeah he’s basically an unknown entity at this point outside of having a reasonably good profile from a pure coaching respect inside the game

Coaching and managing are an entirely different kettle of fish though and a great many fantastic coaches have struggled to manage and actually visa versa

My point really is what impact he had under Ralph/Jones because surely its easy to disregard a coach/voice that you havn’t brought in personally 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, saintant said:

Press conference is 1pm Friday

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

Can someone get me up to speed? Apart from the original post from the club saying that Selles would be preparing the team for Chelsea, have there been any further announcements re:- him or Thorup?

I haven't heard any so if there have been I've missed them. With Marsch having not worked out I imagine SR will be continuing to work towards bring in a new manager and Selles gets the gig until then.

19 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

Can someone get me up to speed? Apart from the original post from the club saying that Selles would be preparing the team for Chelsea, have there been any further announcements re:- him or Thorup?

Ths is all I've seen, possibly the latest.

1 hour ago, Smirking_Saint said:

However

Ankersen did the same at Brentford when he brought in Thomas Frank to the backroom team as his own hire rather than per the manager's request. Potentially something he likes doing is having a coach at the club who is ever-present and doesn't come and go when managers are either poached or sacked. A bit of an industry plant type feel, and Ankersen's own man which he can work on moulding for the role itself rather than just an assistant who will stick by the manager.

• Like 1

I know he's been made caretaker manager, but does he even want to be the main man? Plenty of coaches are happy doing just that, working with players on the training pitch but away from the stress of being a manager, facing the press etc. 

I'm not expecting him to have any positive impact on our performances, he's been key part of the team for a while so limited impact. 

I'm hoping that Selles will become a pleasant surprise. We're not going to get the next Pochettino or pull a Koeman out of the hat, and some of the bigger names being floated are unattainable, still trying to transition from successful player to successful manager, or (like Selles) unproven.

What could make a big difference in a short space of time is a manager who will a) play with a Back 4, b) select the best players - especially at CD, c) not keep chopping and changing, d) leave out the lightweights, e) press hard up front but avoid getting caught on the break, and f) be well regarded by the players.

Selles stood up to Ralph and he stood up to Jones, and I suspect he was voicing the players' feelings as well as his own, so I think he has cred with them. They have to know that, if they bottle it under Selles, the spotlight will fall squarely on them rather than the manager and coaches.

He may not be what many are hoping for, but if he can get most of a) - f) right (they're not rocket science), he could unlock this squad's real potential.

• Like 4

For me Selles is very much an unknown quantity. He has worked under Ralph and Jones both of who would have been making the main decisions - Ralph was known to be quite stubborn and Jones had his other two coaches so it may be that Selles didn't have much of a voice. Ok, he took charge of the Sheff Wed game but those matches are notably difficult and he didn't pick some of the main first teamers because it was the cup. We weren't great on the night but scraped through and I won't judge him on that game. He's obviously going to be in charge for the next few games so let's give him a clean slate and see how he does. I'm hoping he surprises us.

I can offer one potential way to phrase this...

Its incredibly bold/brave to give Selles his first taste of management in what is arguably the toughest league in the world. Let alone with one of the most inexperienced squads to ever grace the division. 

16 minutes ago, CanadaSaint said:

I'm hoping that Selles will become a pleasant surprise. We're not going to get the next Pochettino or pull a Koeman out of the hat, and some of the bigger names being floated are unattainable, still trying to transition from successful player to successful manager, or (like Selles) unproven.

What could make a big difference in a short space of time is a manager who will a) play with a Back 4, b) select the best players - especially at CD, c) not keep chopping and changing, d) leave out the lightweights, e) press hard up front but avoid getting caught on the break, and f) be well regarded by the players.

Selles stood up to Ralph and he stood up to Jones, and I suspect he was voicing the players' feelings as well as his own, so I think he has cred with them. They have to know that, if they bottle it under Selles, the spotlight will fall squarely on them rather than the manager and coaches.

He may not be what many are hoping for, but if he can get most of a) - f) right (they're not rocket science), he could unlock this squad's real potential.

This is how I see it

we’re essentially down anyway and RS knows the squad, knows what makes them tick and will provide some continuity 

he also reads them the riot act by the looks of it so that’s a positive in my eyes

I mean, who doesn’t like seeing a bunch of over paid pussies being dressed down

Happy If You Say So GIF

Edited by Raging Bull

4 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

I can offer one potential way to phrase this...

Its incredibly bold/brave to give Selles his first taste of management in what is arguably the toughest league in the world. Let alone with one of the most inexperienced squads to ever grace the division. 

He's got the Chelsea game as we couldn't get a decent manager in beforehand, who knows what happens after.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ruben Selles