Ruben Selles

Dusic

He's got such a positive aura about him and it certainly impacted on the team. The players knew what they had to do, he didn't overcomplicate anything and I'm genuinely chuffed for him as it seems like he deserves it and the players seem totally for him.

This guy is a coach, but the way he looks and caries himself makes him look like a leading CL manager compared to Jones.

• Like 14

As I just wrote on another thread, keep the guy. Tactics are tactics and everyone knows them. Get the guy the players want to play for. Sometimes it is because of reputation, like a Klopp, or sometimes it is a guy the players like. I vote we keep the guy who just beat Chelsea and wants the job. rather than find another manager like Jones who is here for the paycheck.

• Like 8

Ok, I’m a convert. 

he just said we’ll go to Leeds and ‘hunt’ them and pleaded with the fans be there for the players, and the players will be there for you.

Not a single iota of madness or insanity in the post match interview. Just refreshingly upbeat and normal.

Wow, did we really pay £8m for a mad fraudster 😂

Edited by Crab Lungs
  • Like 7

Important to remember that Rasmus doesn't fancy him. Wanted to give the job to Marsch and only pulled the plug because we couldn't afford the compensation / financial terms. Hired Jones... and kept him for far too long though - this is the guy running our recruitment 😰

Edited by Saint86
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

The biggest difference from his post and pre match pressers is his positivity, not just by what he says but his actual demeanour when he's presenting his views.

For years we've been made to believe we're lucky to even be at this level, but now we have someone blowing positivity up the players arses and it will also inject that into the fans. Little things can sometimes make all the difference, and that's not even tactical.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, westmidlandsaint said:

My 13 year old wants to know what that words are to the "we've got Selles, Reuben Selles" song couldn't quite work it out. Anyone shed some light?

We've got Selles... Ruben Selles.

I just don't think you understand.

He's gonna keep us up, and win the F.A Cup,

We've got Ruben Selles!

Edited by saintscottofthenortham
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

The biggest difference from his post and pre match pressers is his positivity, not just by what he says but his actual demeanour when he's presenting his views.

For years we've been made to believe we're lucky to even be at this level, but now we have someone blowing positivity up the players arses and it will also inject that into the fans. Little things can sometimes make all the difference, and that's not even tactical.

I thought he had that air about him beforehand. Spoke clearly about going there to win and sounded like he genuinely believed, even if none of us did. 🤣

51 minutes ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

We've got Selles... Ruben Selles.

I just don't think you understand.

He's gonna keep us up, and win the F.A Cup,

We've got Ruben Selles!

People were singing it on the concourse before the game. Don't know where it came from or who thought of it, but really is very catchy and when a couple of thousand sing it, it's so much better than the anti-pompey songs. Think Selles also appreciated it when he came over to us after the game.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Saint86 said:

Important to remember that Rasmus doesn't fancy him. Wanted to give the job to Marsch and only pulled the plug because we couldn't afford the compensation / financial terms. Hired Jones... and kept him for far too long though - this is the guy running our recruitment 😰

You couldn’t of really got it more wrong tbh

- Rasmus hired him

- Has asked every managerial appointment to ensure they worked with him

- Marsch pulled the plug not Rasmus

But you know.. unsubstantiated anger is always best

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

Making the change on 55 mins to bring on Mara, Walcott and Armstrong was great. We had lost our press and Chelsea were running riot. Swift and decisive management meant that we had extra energy for the press again and pushed them back 20 yards. I thought that tactically he was very good

Edited by Sir Ralph
  • Like 7

Things needed in a relegation battle:

- Players behind the manager

- Fans behind the manager

- Clear tactical instruction

- Good home atmosphere

- A bit of inspiration (JWP)

- Luck with other results

Selles helps with 4/6 of these, no brainer to give him the job at least til the end of the season and IMO that is regardless of what happens versus Leeds. He has shown enough already, just like many were almost instantly unconvinced by Jones. 

Capitalise on the momentum and confirm him on Monday.

(He also feels like someone who could be supported fans next season even in the (fairly likely) event that we go down.

Absolute no brainer.

• Like 8

Spoke with just a completely serene confidence pre match, no sense of arrogance, just an authority and a feel of a real positivity

I think he deserved and now deserves a chance, for me, short of a capitulation at Leeds OR a big name coming in I think give him the rest of the season

Its shit or bust now anyway with very little to lose, the players seem to be really engaged with him, his tactics are back to how I feel we’re set up and play best.. christ… he even got a tune out of Walcott and Bednarek

I also fear, after today, considering he seems to have SUCH an affinity with the players that IF we replace him with somebody mediocre then it could have a negative affect on the squad

He did brilliantly today 👏🏻

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, Sir Ralph said:

Making the change on 55 mins to bring on Mara, Walcott and Armstrong was great. We had lost our press and Chelsea were running riot. Swift and decisive management meant that we had extra energy for the press again and pushed them back 20 yards. I thought that tactically he was very good

I thought that, originally I worried we’d lost our out ball but certainly Onuachu and Stu looked knackered

18 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Things needed in a relegation battle:

- Players behind the manager

- Fans behind the manager

- Clear tactical instruction

- Good home atmosphere

- A bit of inspiration (JWP)

- Luck with other results

Selles helps with 4/6 of these, no brainer to give him the job at least til the end of the season and IMO that is regardless of what happens versus Leeds. He has shown enough already, just like many were almost instantly unconvinced by Jones. 

Capitalise on the momentum and confirm him on Monday.

(He also feels like someone who could be supported fans next season even in the (fairly likely) event that we go down.

Absolute no brainer.

Agree with this. If he can do the following things before the end of the season (regardless if we go down or not) I think we should give him a chance next season.

-implement a clear style/identity that the players buy into

-connect with the supporters

-ensure the team gives 100% and are competitive in every game

-win a few matches along the way

Arguably he's done most of that in 1 game! 

Edited by Harry_SFC
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Spoke with just a completely serene confidence pre match, no sense of arrogance, just an authority and a feel of a real positivity

I think he deserved and now deserves a chance, for me, short of a capitulation at Leeds OR a big name coming in I think give him the rest of the season

Its shit or bust now anyway with very little to lose, the players seem to be really engaged with him, his tactics are back to how I feel we’re set up and play best.. christ… he even got a tune out of Walcott and Bednarek

I also fear, after today, considering he seems to have SUCH an affinity with the players that IF we replace him with somebody mediocre then it could have a negative affect on the squad

He did brilliantly today 👏🏻

The worst thing would be to keep him just in a caretaker mode. It smacks of “we don’t trust you”.

We are so far down the road this season that I think we must give him the job until the end of the season at least, with an extend option in the contract. Jesse Marsch was about the best we could hope for before today, and given the upgrade in performance we’ve seen,, Marsch could well be a downgrade. Players clearly like Ruben, and the first half seeemed to me to give us back an identity, I thought we were great. This season is about potential survival and everyone needs to be onboard for that, today showed that we might have stumbled upon the solution.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Jack said:

He’s got the aura of a proper manager, the players seem to play for him, he speaks well and honestly, no sign of a massive chip on his shoulder. I’m on board. 

Saw his post match interview on Soccer Saturday- immediately thought “I’ll buy some of whatever you’re selling”.

Just listened back to his post-match comments on the Saints site, and he says another standout thing for me.

''We have been in situations like this before in the season, and maybe we haven't used the substitutions well enough and have been too late in making them. We knew the 10's and the strikers were very tired after their efforts pressing, so it was critical we refreshed them early''

How fricking refreshing is it to hear someone speak the minds of the fans?? Obviously it's still way early days, but given the slight differences we've seen today you just wonder how side-lined his views have actually been this year.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 12

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Just listened back to his post-match comments on the Saints site, and he says another standout thing for me.

''We have been in situations like this before in the season, and maybe we haven't used the substitutions well enough and have been too late. We knew the 10's and the strikers were very tired after their efforts pressing, so it was critical we refreshed them early''

How fricking refreshing is it to hear someone speak the minds of the fans?? Obviously it's still way early days, but given the slight differences we've seen today you just wonder how side-lined his views have actually been this year.

I remember someone posting on here that there seemed to be a difference of opinion between him and NJ at a game - possibly expressing his views then? Mind you I could also be talking Bollox.

On 17/02/2023 at 20:45, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

The problem I have with your argument, and it's one I have seen many times, is that you are doing the exact same thing you are accusing others of doing. You don't like people being stereotyped because they're Welsh or black or muslim, or whatever.  You don't want people to make assumptions based on that, which is absolutely right (doesn't stop the scots, Irish, Welsh calling us english bastards at the rugby though funnily enough, which seems more than acceptable), However, you're quick yourself to jump in the same boat "you voted for brexit" "you like Jeremy Clarkson" i.e he is white, english, of a certain class. So what exactly if he voted for Brexit or he didn't? Just shows you have prejudices too I'm afraid

You make a fair point on my hypocrisy. Mostly trolling to get the reaction which, predictably, came but its true  intelligent people should rise above.

I will observe some introspection and whilst still calling out xenophobia and racism will keep my own opinions of the perpetrators to myself (although its pretty hard)

59 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

I remember someone posting on here that there seemed to be a difference of opinion between him and NJ at a game - possibly expressing his views then? Mind you I could also be talking Bollox.

I remember Jones basically telling Selles to piss off back to his seat at one stage.

4 hours ago, Saint86 said:

What Bolx.

Rasmus got him from a Danish club.

He was always the long term plan (like Thomas Frank at Brentford), but the question was always "is the time right?".

The players are on side, a lot of the fans are in side.

And you go back and look to see how long it took for Frank to get a decent number of points on the board at Brentford.

• Like 4

I’ve changed my mind. Give him the job. The list of alternatives is very underwhelming, we’ve got 15 games left and relegation still looks very likely. The players love him, he comes across very well, and he wants it. I’d rather that than some ego boss like Gerrard or Lampard. Yes @sadoldgit I am arrogantly giving Selles my seal of approval 

46F5088D-FB6A-4A4E-951F-7BA790B9CA94.thumb.jpeg.5cabf990177a585d597ddd601b5529f0.jpeg

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Saint86 said:

He's probably the only person who doesn't fancy him... 😏😏

Oh, you mean for the job. Sorry yes. As you were.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Newcastle away 2nd leg, defo something was going on, or off.

Far too premature just to be saying give him the job, Chelsea are also a poor team at the moment and of course there is the obvious issues with the caretaker manager not transitioning into a good manager on far too many occasions.  Lets break down what i think so far

Press work - top notch, not even taking account of what he's being based against, he has spoken very well

Team selection - Questionable. I understand the KWP being left out, that's fine coming back from injury but Bednarek and Elyounoussi, I'm sorry just no. Moi proved again how he is just a waste of a shirt and all that can be said of Jonny B is we didn't notice he was in the game, that was enough for today.

Performance - The players played today, worked as a team, worked hard and had quality at times as well. Definite change of style, possession stats in the first half were quite even and we moved the ball well at times. Desire was there to keep a clean sheet and Bazunu showed more confidence than he has in many matches.

Substitutions - timing was great, maybe what allowed us to keep the lead. Wasn't happy that Moi and AMN stayed on. I understand that the front line were tiring but i think AMN was an accident waiting to happen and KWP would have provided good energy and Moi was so wasteful they may have been more important changes , tall Paul's race was clearly run.

So the Leeds game is massive, we win and he probably has to have more games maybe even the end of the season, lose and its anybody's guess. Something also needs to be said about DCC and Orsic if at all possible(i.e not some disciplinary process), we cant afford to waste talent. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ruben Selles