Ruben Selles

Dusic

24 minutes ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

On KWP there, I was going to reply to Aust to say I think we’d actually have been weaker defensively with KWP over AMN.

Don’t get me wrong, I love KWP, but yesterday was always going to be about soaking up pressure, holding up the ball, waiting for the moment and making it count. AMN was superb in nearly everything he done yesterday and a lot of what made it so good KWP just doesn’t have in his locker and wouldn’t have suited how we wanted to set out.

Leeds is a totally different ball game. KWP straight in for me.

I don't disagree. Maitland-Niles was excellent yesterday and no doubt taking a conservative approach with KWP (back from injury) was the right one.   Yes, KWP in for the Leeds game though - a crucial game.   Would prefer a returning Salisu for Bednarek too.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, austsaint said:

I don't disagree. Maitland-Niles was excellent yesterday and no doubt taking a conservative approach with KWP (back from injury) was the right one.   Yes, KWP in for the Leeds game though - a crucial game.   Would prefer a returning Salisu for Bednarek too.

Point was more AMN was the right player for that game, rather than being conservative with KWP. Where we can get at teams, KWP is superb, but he gets outdone defensively too often. I don’t think KWP would’ve contained them and broke play up half as well as AMN ended up doing.

• Like 7

Very good post match interviews. One of the things that really impresses me is that Ruben comes across as honest in his responses and also he maintains eye contact with the journalist asking the question. His body language and demeanour encourage you to trust him. I appreciate it is early days and we are still getting to know him in the various situations he will face but the early signs are that he is a great guy with many brilliant attributes - he looks and sounds more like an experienced coach who has been doing the job for a long time. As amicable as he comes across I detect a steely resolve that shows he expects a lot and will be willing to speak out if players let him down so not just a mr nice guy and I think that's important,

• Like 13

3 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

Moi is, for me, an away match selection mainly for the reasons you have just listed.

If we are playing 4-4-2, what exactly are the other options on that left side? AA is no midfielder, Alcaraz plays more central, Edozie is a winger, Aribo doesn't run, so that leaves Djenepo.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Katalinic said:

Been told that the way the players have bought into him is reminiscent of Poch and Koeman - players love him, staff love him and there is a feeling of unity which has been missing for years. RS is incredibly hard working, always first in and last out.

I know your sources are always sound, so thanks for that snipit. It is so obvious to see, but nice to hear it confirmed

We're all feeling it too. It is a unity we have not felt since Nigel and the Man in the Glass were taking us up the leagues.

Together as One.

Sometimes in life, you just know, when something feels right, or wrong.

We knew it when Mad Nate was appointed. He felt all wrong for us, from the very outset.

And we know it now with Ruben, for all the right reasons.

I'm not talking about getting caught up in emotions, though sometimes such inspiration can ignite them, but a simple "gut feel" and raw instinct, that can't really be thoroughly explained with logical words. But you just know.

I felt it the moment I watched his first pre-match press conference.

He belonged there. He looked, acted and spoke like an accomplished Premier League Manager. He projected an aura of calm confidence. He owned and commanded the room.

Then he took us up to London, and dripped his machismo all over Stamford Bridge.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cozku75jpsI/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y%3D

The Players clearly all want it to happen, and so do the fans.

The scenes after the game are fantastic. It feels like something special could be happening here.

Does this man look like a "caretaker" to you? :classic_laugh:

wAJp1wx.jpg

Relax everyone. Ruben's got this. :classic_cool:

• Like 13
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Rivers said:

wAJp1wx.jpg

Relax everyone. Ruben's got this.

I look like a manager because I am a manager - Ruben Selles, 2023.

(I can't help but thinking that NJ, even with his first language supposedly being English, would have got that back to front and have said: "I am a manager because I look like a manager")

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Chez said:

If we are playing 4-4-2, what exactly are the other options on that left side? AA is no midfielder, Alcaraz plays more central, Edozie is a winger, Aribo doesn't run, so that leaves Djenepo.

How about an experienced international that scored the winner in the world cup 3rd place final - the fans from his previous club adored him and his main attributes were that he worked really really hard and had an eye for goal

• Like 8

7 hours ago, austsaint said:

See, this is what I find confusing.....I didn't watch the game but followed it on here. The general consensus was that AMN was having a dreadful game and was a liability... 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

57 minutes ago, richardc said:

How about an experienced international that scored the winner in the world cup 3rd place final - the fans from his previous club adored him and his main attributes were that he worked really really hard and had an eye for goal

I thought there was a Zagreb fan on here saying that left wing was his best position rather than left midfield? Maybe I got that mixed up.

I have to say he hasn't impressed so far in the games he has played. He doesn't look like has any pace, dribbling skills or much physicality. He reminded me of Ely to be honest.

I was hoping he would be brimming with confidence and look to go at fullbacks, but instead he looked very timid and just passed it rather than make something happen. That said, I was surprised he was dropped from the match day squad completely.

I guess the other players could argue `why am I not being picked when he is not doing it?', but they have all had plenty of chances. Players can take a little time to settle in, so I am hoping he finds his feet and we see what he is made of. But he has to earn a pace in the squad/side by impressing in training. If he isn't doing that, then that's down to him. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

See, this is what I find confusing.....I didn't watch the game but followed it on here. The general consensus was that AMN was having a dreadful game and was a liability... 

He was a mixed bag. He started well, had a very iffy last 15 of the first half, second half got out muscled by Sterling and got caught out a couple of times but otherwise was alright. Would much prefer KWP though, of course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

He was a mixed bag. He started well, had a very iffy last 15 of the first half, second half got out muscled by Sterling and got caught out a couple of times but otherwise was alright. Would much prefer KWP though, of course.

Yep.....no comparison. KWP is class. Horses for courses I suppose.

5 hours ago, Rivers said:

I know your sources are always sound, so thanks for that snipit. It is so obvious to see, but nice to hear it confirmed

We're all feeling it too. It is a unity we have not felt since Nigel and the Man in the Glass were taking us up the leagues.

Together as One.

We knew it when Mad Nate was appointed. He felt all wrong for us, from the very outset.

I'm not talking about getting caught up in emotions, though sometimes such inspiration can ignite them, but a simple "gut feel" and raw instinct, that can't really be thoroughly explained with logical words. But you just know.

He belonged there. He looked, acted and spoke like an accomplished Premier League Manager. He projected an aura of calm confidence. He owned and commanded the room.

Then he took us up to London, and dripped his machismo all over Stamford Bridge.

The scenes after the game are fantastic. It feels like something special could be happening here.

wAJp1wx.jpg

I love Rivers posts. They’re like an article that you don’t have to pay for 😎

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Rivers said:

Together as One.

wAJp1wx.jpg

Great post, could not have written that any better. 

Completely correct, something just feels right. That speaks louder than anything, and echoes around instilling confidence, belief and an all-good aura. 

If there is one thing we know, football needs bouts of that to work. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

Have to agree, since I came back here Saints web is a more calm place then the madhouse it was, some really good posters on here and Rivers is always one of them

You can tell some people have a more intricate knowledge of the game then others tbh

Unfortunately there’s also some that wouldn’t know a football if it hit them in the face but we can have it all

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Yup I was told the same. Which was the reason why Ralph wanted Selles to take the job when he left. 

Who was the bearded assistant who stood with Selles on the touchline at SB? They seem to have a great working relationship and several times had broad smiles on their faces, even before the final whistle.    What a contrast to Jones.

2 minutes ago, austsaint said:

Who was the bearded assistant who stood with Selles on the touchline at SB? They seem to have a great working relationship and several times had broad smiles on their faces, even before the final whistle.    What a contrast to Jones.

Carl Martin, was promoted to the first team backroom staff in the summer after being U18 manager.

13 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Carl Martin, was promoted to the first team backroom staff in the summer after being U18 manager.

Looks like a good appointment.   He's obviously trusted and respected by Selles.   The whole coaching set up on Saturday just looked superior and calmer than the  Jones clan which looked panicky and distinctly like they were winging it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Kraken said:

He got a lot of bonus points for falling on the 6 yard line and blocking a goal bound shot . This seemed to elevate him in the commentators eyes !

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Chez said:

I thought there was a Zagreb fan on here saying that left wing was his best position rather than left midfield? Maybe I got that mixed up.

I have to say he hasn't impressed so far in the games he has played. He doesn't look like has any pace, dribbling skills or much physicality. He reminded me of Ely to be honest.

I was hoping he would be brimming with confidence and look to go at fullbacks, but instead he looked very timid and just passed it rather than make something happen. That said, I was surprised he was dropped from the match day squad completely.

I guess the other players could argue `why am I not being picked when he is not doing it?', but they have all had plenty of chances. Players can take a little time to settle in, so I am hoping he finds his feet and we see what he is made of. But he has to earn a pace in the squad/side by impressing in training. If he isn't doing that, then that's down to him. 

Hasn't he played like one league game? Hardly true to say he's had much of a chance, particularly as it was under Jones who didn't seem capable of communicating what he wanted from the players. 

11 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Hasn't he played like one league game? Hardly true to say he's had much of a chance, particularly as it was under Jones who didn't seem capable of communicating what he wanted from the players. 

6 minutes in a league sub appearance, 64 minutes in the league cup, written off. 

1 hour ago, Brissysaint said:

Geez no wonder he’s ‘not settling in’ then 

Indeed. The guy has more playing time in the month of the World Cup than he does in the month he's been in the Premier League. Ditto the Champions League. He's gone from playing in those two competitions to playing in our reserves...I would imagine he was settling in just fine until that happened. 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Chez said:

Stu on the left. AMN in front of KWP on the right. 

9 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Have to agree, since I came back here Saints web is a more calm place then the madhouse it was, some really good posters on here and Rivers is always one of them

You can tell some people have a more intricate knowledge of the game then others tbh

Unfortunately there’s also some that wouldn’t know a football if it hit them in the face but we can have it all

I've also noticed this about the site in the last few months.  Far far less bickering and people are actually much more respectful to someone's else's point of view even if they don't agree. It feels more grown up and is much more a pleasure to be part of ( I'm sure some will disagree :) )

And also some of you are hilarious. Haven't laughed so much as I have on here during the last few weeks.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Hawkswood said:

I've also noticed this about the site in the last few months.  Far far less bickering and people are actually much more respectful to someone's else's point of view even if they don't agree. It feels more grown up and is much more a pleasure to be part of ( I'm sure some will disagree :) )

And also some of you are hilarious. Haven't laughed so much as I have on here during the last few weeks.

Gallows humour is some of the best kind. This site was at its funniest during the takeover saga prior to Markus. Monkey chicken petting zoos and help me Rhonda etc. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Hawkswood said:

Maybe there is a correlation between this place and MLG not posting...🤪

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Hawkswood said:

Piss off you Noddy bastard! Don't know whotcha talkin' about......absolutely effin' clueless.....🙃😉

Edited by miserableoldgit
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Gallows humour is some of the best kind. This site was at its funniest during the takeover saga prior to Markus. Monkey chicken petting zoos and help me Rhonda etc. 

And the Ted Bates statue, which funnily enough has liked your post.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, miserableoldgit said:

He sure as hell was not excellent, but he was better than he has been in any previous game - Not a high bar, but notable because he has been an utter stain most games. But he was also horrific defensively, notably getting nudged off the ball by the tiny sterling in an absolutely embarrassing way - Something Chelsea really should have scored from - a horrendous error which shouldn't get neglected just because of excellent recovery work by others.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

MLG definitely has a good footballing brain in his defence, he's just also a bit of a tit. 

I think people need to remember we're playing catch-up now for the rest of the season, we need to be a bit more aggressive and that should lean into starting players such as Edozie in these attacking roles rather than Elyounoussi or AMN(??). Certain games are more set-up for Elyounoussi's work rate off the ball and absolute lack of talent, the next two are not those.

• Like 1

You compare Selles personality, charisma and intelligence compared to Jones light and day ahead. 

Hire him and get him a decent assistant with a similar pedigree and philosophy.

Take a step further in summer and bring in some faces on the coaching setup again with similar drive, philosophies 👍 

9 hours ago, Hawkswood said:

FFS!

3 hours ago, Saint86 said:

He sure as hell was not excellent, but he was better than he has been in any previous game - Not a high bar, but notable because he has been an utter stain most games. But he was also horrific defensively, notably getting nudged off the ball by the tiny sterling in an absolutely embarrassing way - Something Chelsea really should have scored from - a horrendous error which shouldn't get neglected just because of excellent recovery work 

Edited by Give it to Ron
Wrong

Just give it to our boy Selles, cba with all the faff for another manager and Ruben would clearly be a decent Championship manager if all else fails. (Not ruling anything out tho) 

The guy loves and is loved by the players, clearly has a big respect for the club, and comes from a v tactical Spanish background. 

Can't go worse than NJ and RS oozes class compared (not just to NJ, but put him next to a Javi Gracia or an Alfred Schrueder, I'm taking Rubén) 

Not necessarily a rational or thought-through opinión, but an opinion nonetheless

On 19/02/2023 at 21:55, Crab Lungs said:

23 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Thanks lads, after a gruelling afternoon, that made my day when I sat down to catch up tonight. :classic_biggrin: Nice to feel apreciated.

I'm just a peripheral member with my three posts per day, so I try to make them cunt count (ha, that was a genuine typo, but couldn't bring myself to take it out).

6 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Sometimes 6 minutes is more than enough for you to know your world cup star just won't give you the outcomes in your Luton tactic. 🙂

Clearly not cut out for it at that elite level, at least in terms of stuff, and things. 

Back to our man Ruben, as Eowyn said to Aragorn:

"The men have found their captain. They will follow you into battle, even unto death. You have given us hope."

Time to drop the derogatory interim/caretaker label Rasmus. Ruben is our leader. Let the man lead.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rivers said:

Time to drop the derogatory interim/caretaker label Rasmus. Ruben is our leader. Let the man lead.

Ah but if Rasmus did that within the next day or two wouldn't it confirm what a lot on here appear to think that the appointment

of NJ was a massive, massive mistake?  I somehow get the impression that Rasmus hates to even consider that he is ever wrong

let alone actually admitting he was.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Saint in Paradise said:

Ah but if Rasmus did that within the next day or two wouldn't it confirm what a lot on here appear to think that the appointment

of NJ was a massive, massive mistake?  I somehow get the impression that Rasmus hates to even consider that he is ever wrong

let alone actually admitting he was.

But take positives from the negatives.... If NJ hadnt got us deep into the mire, would we have made different player choices? Would we have outlayed the second highest expenditure on Europe in the window?

Onuachu, Kamaldeen and Alcaraz 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nolan said:

But take positives from the negatives.... If NJ hadnt got us deep into the mire, would we have made different player choices? Would we have outlayed the second highest expenditure on Europe in the window?

Onuachu, Kamaldeen and Alcaraz 

An Everton season ticket holder was saying to me yesterday at work that he’s very confident they stay up now with Dyche and that Saints spent a fair amount on ‘bargain basement signings’ and that’s why Everton chose not to buy them. He was obviously referring to Tall Paul and Kamal. Fitting the stereotype.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

An Everton season ticket holder was saying to me yesterday at work that he’s very confident they stay up now with Dyche and that Saints spent a fair amount on ‘bargain basement signings’ and that’s why Everton chose not to buy them. He was obviously referring to Tall Paul and Kamal. Fitting the stereotype.

Chose not to buy them, or were too close to the Profit and sustainability rules threshold.?

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ruben Selles