Ruben Selles

Dusic

11 hours ago, Warriorsaint said:

He was putting emphasis on nationality as a negative so a xenophobe.

The fact you baited the gender culture war (he) also tells me you are as simplistic as him and at the gullible mercy of the tabloids who form your opinions.

I’m not offended by either of you. I pity  the fact more intelligent people laugh at how easily your opinions are manipulated. You don’t have an original thought between you. The fact I am able to judge your opinions based on a few sentences tells me that Tim Martin and Jeremy Clarkson are your  level.

I’m tired now and will retire this rant to the lounge where it belongs.

If we just said "the twat" it would get confusing as we have a few. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Saint in Paradise said:

Why would he have views on a news service he has probably never even heard of??    

https://www.stuff.co.nz/        ( Breaking news and videos of today's latest news stories from around New Zealand, including up to date weather, World, sport, ...)

He's very well travelled, is our Ruben. Rumour has it Stuff is his preferred news outlet... 

3 minutes ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

Having watched the interview I find myself really rooting for Ruben today. He's a very likeable fella - it would be wonderful if it turns out he's got something about him. Go get 'em, lad!

Would also be the saintsy way to spunk £millions on the Welsh Wonder only to discover we had the man we needed all along :mcinnes:

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Warriorsaint said:

Oh the Irony, who said I was Welsh? I just call out the xenophobes. I will put in a wild guess. You voted for brexit!

Was it his Welshness that makes him a twat or just the fact he was a twat?

If I insert the word black or muslim do you see the problem? Do they all have a chip on their shoulder or is it in fact you have the chip on your shoulder?

If he'd have just said "The Twat", he may have been referring to the Austrian twat, and not the Welsh one. It's being used in a way to identify the person being insulted, not as part of the insult. It's not xenophobic, and it's not racist.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Warriorsaint said:

Oh the Irony, who said I was Welsh? I just call out the xenophobes. I will put in a wild guess. You voted for brexit!

Was it his Welshness that makes him a twat or just the fact he was a twat?

If I insert the word black or muslim do you see the problem? Do they all have a chip on their shoulder or is it in fact you have the chip on your shoulder?

If he'd have just said "The Twat", he may have been referring to the Austrian twat, and not the Welsh one. It's being used in a way to identify the person being insulted, not as part of the insult. It's not xenophobic, and it's not racist.

9 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Would also be the saintsy way to spunk £millions on the Welsh Wonder only to discover we had the man we needed all along :mcinnes:

Trial, error, trial error, trial, hope & pray.

It's the future. 

He certainly speaks very well and it really makes me root for him. It would be wonderful if he proved himself as a half decent manager. Ultimately he probably has a few games to show enough improvement for us to give it to him. Reportedly the players like him so that may mean they would really want him to get the job and performances should be good accordingly. 

• Like 3

Interesting that he pointed to talk to Semmens, not Rasmus - I wonder if he’s been taken out of the football decisions. I thought he talked a good fight…he’s certainly earned his chance. But we should remember he has been a part of a failed project although he may not created the reasons for that. I’m optimistic that we’ll see a better performance today, but ultimately it will take a miracle for us to not lose.

1 minute ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Interesting that he pointed to talk to Semmens, not Rasmus - I wonder if he’s been taken out of the football decisions. I thought he talked a good fight…he’s certainly earned his chance. But we should remember he has been a part of a failed project although he may not created the reasons for that. I’m optimistic that we’ll see a better performance today, but ultimately it will take a miracle for us to not lose.

So has Beryl the tea lady, never forget that.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

He certainly speaks very well and it really makes me root for him. It would be wonderful if he proved himself as a half decent manager. Ultimately he probably has a few games to show enough improvement for us to give it to him. Reportedly the players like him so that may mean they would really want him to get the job and performances should be good accordingly. 

Just imagine if we get dicked today, playing 532, Janny B starting, Orsic, DCC and co on the bench at best, Theo get a run out and we hump the ball to tall paul all game..

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

You can certainly see why the players relate/like him, comes across as a very likeable fella - but more impressive was the common sense he spoke, direct, clear, concise - none of this coded nonsense or clinches, he answered questions straight to the point which was refreshing.

We'll see how it goes, nothing will be decided tomorrow and like he actually said a win doesn't mean he stays and a defeat doesn't mean he's totally discounted. 

He wasn't very gracious towards Jones, no real warmth there at all. He showed much more warmth in his comments to the manager before Jones, which I think is really telling - it does feel as if Selles was a huge voice feeding back to the board re: Jones hopelessness, just a shame it took so long for anyone to act.

See this whole thing of the players like him I find weird, considering I thought the players kept saying they like NJ too. 

It doesn’t make sense or any real difference really if they like the manager or not, and considering the players are a large part of the reason we are in the shit we are in make me wonder if they shouldn’t just STFU and get in with their job. 

I just wish they’d keep quiet on this, follow instruction and try their best, and put every ounce of effort into each game. 

Edited by Billy the Kidd
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Indeed, a 30% chance of happening miracle! 🤣

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

See this whole thing of the players like him I find weird, considering I thought the players kept saying they like NJ too. 

It doesn’t make sense or any real difference really if they like the manager or not, and considering the players are a large part of the reason we are in the shit we are in make me wonder if they shouldn’t just STFU and get in with their job. 

I just wish they’d keep quiet on this, follow instruction and try their best, and put every ounce of effort into each game. 

Right? When has morale ever won anything

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Not allowed to use the word “Welsh” even if it’s with “Wonder” rather than “Twat”. Warrior lives in a wokey vanilla world where we’re all the same. You’ll upset him/her/she/he/it

2 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

This really grips my shit!

Why would you keep the proof of anything in a pudding (or barbeque sauce)?  That would be mental and messy.

'The proof of the pudding is in the eating' is the correct idiom.

Thank you for this, hearing people say “the proof is in the pudding” winds me up no end.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Just imagine if we get dicked today, playing 532, Janny B starting, Orsic, DCC and co on the bench at best, Theo get a run out and we hump the ball to tall paul all game..

It would be a bit much to expect massive improvements and I fully expect us to lose. What I want to see is a clear improvement and a sense of direction and purpose regardless of the result. You're right that that would include playing our best players in their proper positions. No Bednarek, no Diallo unless we have to play him, no Elyounoussi. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

This really grips my shit!

Why would you keep the proof of anything in a pudding (or barbeque sauce)?  That would be mental and messy.

'The proof of the pudding is in the eating' is the correct idiom.

It is, but GIFs of people eating cake looked a bit random.

If you thought that was mental and messy, what's "grips my shit" . No GIFs please. 🙂

Very impressive in both parts of the press conference. He certainly talks a good game.

I allowed myself to be wildly optimistic for 2 minutes and worked out that, with 16 games left, we can still get up to 63 points. That is exactly the same as Koeman’s last season when we finished 6th! Coincidence???🤪

Obviously, talk is cheap (but a very welcome change from front-foot and Luton talk nonetheless).

It’s certainly too early to write-off survival, but we do need a very quick turnaround in form to have a chance.

Like most of us, the main thing I want to see is for us to play more positively and, if we go down, at least go down fighting and have a bit of optimism going into next season. Let’s hope he manages as well as he talks!

• Like 2

Around the time Ralph had talked about retiring at the end of his contract, Semmens made a comment about looking to bring someone in to the coaching team to be groomed to eventually take over. I have always assumed that Selles was that person. The fact that Ralph departed earlier than expected must have thrown a spanner in the works if that was the case. The fact that Jones was appointed instead of Selles would indicate that they didn’t think he was ready to step up just yet. Would another year/year and a half tutelage  under a more senior manager much a huge difference in his ability to lead us? Who knows. Given the lack or poor quality of choices at the moment, perhaps they will give him his chance earlier than planned. Pure conjecture on my part of course but given that he has, so far, not been tarred with the same brush as two failed regimes, perhaps there is something in it? It could also explain why the Board wasn’t over keen on offering JM a 3.5 year contract if they were looking to promote Selles in a year or two.

• Like 2

Listened to the entirety of it, the talk about us going back to our principles, identity, what makes us tick etc is really telling.

This quote was telling for me and I'm really intrigued to find out what the team is:

I have a brilliant bunch of young players and also experienced players that I can help. We need to find the connection, and that's what hasn't been there a lot because we, as an organisation, didn't put it together.

Dropped Jones straight under the bus, ran over him and then reversed back over him again! The lack of reference to him at any point is so telling, there is zero warmth or interest there. I don't think anyone liked him apart from Rasmus, feels like everyone is now reenergised.

Black cloud in our history certainly removed.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

Having watched the interview I find myself really rooting for Ruben today. He's a very likeable fella - it would be wonderful if it turns out he's got something about him. Go get 'em, lad!

Likewise, he talks a very good game indeed and seems like a strong leader - I can see why the players "like" him (I suspect it is like based on respect). I really hope he gets some quick results and makes the job his own.

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Dropped Jones straight under the bus, ran over him and then reversed back over him again! The lack of reference to him at any point is so telling, there is zero warmth or interest there. I don't think anyone liked him, feels like everyone is now reenergised.

Good point. We have been fed quotes from JWP/Diallo that kind-of say the players liked Jones, and also some unattributed stuff about "the players are behind NJ" from the Twitter bot-accounts etc etc. What we didn't ever see was the players acting or playing as if they like Jones. [training galleries with no smiles and no eye contact etc]

I'm even more impressed with Selles managing to give Jones zero credit in public, and to do so very calmly and without drawing attention to the fact he's happy to see the back of him.

5 minutes ago, CamberwellSaint said:

Good point. We have been fed quotes from JWP/Diallo that kind-of say the players liked Jones, and also some unattributed stuff about "the players are behind NJ" from the Twitter bot-accounts etc etc. What we didn't ever see was the players acting or playing as if they like Jones. [training galleries with no smiles and no eye contact etc]

I'm even more impressed with Selles managing to give Jones zero credit in public, and to do so very calmly and without drawing attention to the fact he's happy to see the back of him.

I don't even think he's done it purposely, there's just nothing to credit him on. It's just Selles telling it how it is and being straight and honest. Jones has made himself an open target, but the vibe I get is that people seem refreshed to see the back of him. 

At the end of the day 99% of the supporters cannot be the only ones who thought what we did about him, he was an incredibly unlikable and divisive character.

35 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Around the time Ralph had talked about retiring at the end of his contract, Semmens made a comment about looking to bring someone in to the coaching team to be groomed to eventually take over. I have always assumed that Selles was that person. The fact that Ralph departed earlier than expected must have thrown a spanner in the works if that was the case. The fact that Jones was appointed instead of Selles would indicate that they didn’t think he was ready to step up just yet. Would another year/year and a half tutelage  under a more senior manager much a huge difference in his ability to lead us? Who knows. Given the lack or poor quality of choices at the moment, perhaps they will give him his chance earlier than planned. Pure conjecture on my part of course but given that he has, so far, not been tarred with the same brush as two failed regimes, perhaps there is something in it? It could also explain why the Board wasn’t over keen on offering JM a 3.5 year contract if they were looking to promote Selles in a year or two.

It  did look like they were thinking of Selles longer term. He says he's been ready for quite some time, so the extra 18 months won't have made a difference as far as he's concerned.

I'm a little wary of someone keen on a job being part of two regimes that haven't worked. Unlike yourself, I do think there's a bit of tarring if you've been part of it. In Sellers' favour, he wasn't brought in by either one, and can only do so much.

6 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

It  did look like they were thinking of Selles longer term. He says he's been ready for quite some time, so the extra 18 months won't have made a difference as far as he's concerned.

I'm a little wary of someone keen on a job being part of two regimes that haven't worked. Unlike yourself, I do think there's a bit of tarring if you've been part of it. In Sellers' favour, he wasn't brought in by either one, and can only do so much.

That's a fair observation and  I'm sure he's fully aware of the association. It's easy to talk a good game, but the black and white fact in front of us today is that he has been lead coach for the entirety of this disastrous season. 

The argument is that maybe he hasn't had full autonomy and he's been 'muted' a little, but from how he comes across it doesn't sound like he'd suffer fools easily and if he was being ignored that much he'd have left by now!

Interested to see how he does though, the whole attitude of him is so much better than what we had before - even better than Ralph was towards the end.

Edited by S-Clarke

2 hours ago, LegalEagle said:

Not allowed to use the word “Welsh” even if it’s with “Wonder” rather than “Twat”. Warrior lives in a wokey vanilla world where we’re all the same. You’ll upset him/her/she/he/it

1 hour ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

Don’t say Welsh. Warrior gets offended. 

Borriersaint only gets upset if he considers that you use the Nationality as a negative and therefore are being Xenophobic.  Calling him a Welsh Wonder is using his nationality in a positive sense, so not even that complete fucktard could get upset by that term.

This is such a messy situation, very high chance Selles will fail at this level (much as I hope he doesn’t). Then what ? how will the new manager feel about a coach who has been part of two failed projects - wouldn’t they want a completely clean slate ?, if he’s still close to the players will he feel undermined,  equally will Selles be happy being relegated back to a coach after this ?

I can’t really see any other result here than Selles leaving the club. The only positive is that expectations, are extremely low - if Selles takes us down but we play ok I think most will not see that as failure.

5 minutes ago, Hodgey said:

This is such a messy situation, very high chance Selles will fail at this level (much as I hope he doesn’t). Then what ? how will the new manager feel about a coach who has been part of two failed projects - wouldn’t they want a completely clean slate ?, if he’s still close to the players will he feel undermined,  equally will Selles be happy being relegated back to a coach after this ?

I can’t really see any other result here than Selles leaving the club. The only positive is that expectations, are extremely low - if Selles takes us down but we play ok I think most will not see that as failure.

Therefore you've completely dismissed the possibility that he might be OK - surely he can't be worse than the last clown.

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

I think you have hit the nail on the head with this one. I think that Anderson was so keen to get Jones that previous plans went out of the window. After the Jones fiasco we are now back to the original plan.

56 minutes ago, Verwood Saint said:

Also just watched his press conferences and also very impressed.  There was a reference to Rafa Benitez in there as one of his inspirations - could he be our director of football perhaps...

Admiring one of your old mentors doesn't mean you want him/her back again to dominate your life. Selles would probably think "been there done that"

No fun being permanently in the shadows.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hodgey said:

The Marsch deal fell through so Selles gets his chance. His presser was faultless so a good start. Obviously today we'll learn a lot more about what he has to offer. Being the man in charge might be the making of him and, up to this moment, he'll only have been a bit part player in the big decisions on tactics and team selection. Now it's going to be his side, formation and tactics. If there are good signs (even in defeat) he'll deserve more games. What the future holds for him none of us know and he himself will be well aware that this is a pivotal moment for him - we all hope it'll go brilliantly but,equally, he may crash and burn - nothing ventured nothing gained. Good luck today Ruben, we all want you to be a success.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

When I say that he has not been tarred so far that assumption has been made on the basis that he is still in the job. No idea what input he has had on both managers so far and I don’t think it is fair to judge him on the Sheffield Wednesday game. He says he wants the job full time. Time for him to step up to the plate and deliver. He will need more than one game against Chelsea to prove he is the man though, and we really do not have time to mess around anymore if the intention is to give avoiding relegation 100% effort.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Therefore you've completely dismissed the possibility that he might be OK - surely he can't be worse than the last clown.

no I haven’t, but do you think our board and fans will ultimately be happy with ‘OK’ ?. 
 I think he will be better than Jones as he isn’t mad and seems considered and intelligent, but it’ll be a miracle if we’ve suddenly found a premier or even championship ready manager lurking within our club. I think he’ll be OK, as stated, in that he’ll take us down but with slight improvement in style / results. 
Point I was trying to make (badly probably) is that I see us losing Selles, a good coach, due to the situation we have found ourselves in. Saying he’ll be better than our last clown, whilst probably true, doesn’t really help his case when the board want an instant Prem return.

6 hours ago, Ralph Fastenbüttl said:

Am currently staring at the team sheet for the Chelsea game and feeling the positive vibes above draining away...

Let's hope he does in fact know something none of us do. Like what crimes Orsic committed in a previous life.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dirkdiggler said:

Well from optimism to shock at that line up! WTF 2 players who shouldn’t be in the squad starting, our best CD not even on the bench, World Cup player not in the squad!!??!?

Seems like Selles has been swigging from the same bottles of very strong alcohol that it felt like Jones did and Ralph seemed as if he was in his final few months whilst selecting the team. Just pick a fan at random in the away end today and put them in charge until the summer. Can’t do any worse than the so-called football professionals have this wretched season, the worst in the club’s history.

Edited by saint1977
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Hodgey said:

no I haven’t, but do you think our board and fans will ultimately be happy with ‘OK’ ?. 
 I think he will be better than Jones as he isn’t mad and seems considered and intelligent, but it’ll be a miracle if we’ve suddenly found a premier or even championship ready manager lurking within our club. I think he’ll be OK, as stated, in that he’ll take us down but with slight improvement in style / results. 
Point I was trying to make (badly probably) is that I see us losing Selles, a good coach, due to the situation we have found ourselves in. Saying he’ll be better than our last clown, whilst probably true, doesn’t really help his case when the board want an instant Prem return.

right up until he picked Janny fucking B and Moi :mcinnes:

What's interesting is it seems the entire fanbase is united behind him already, even before the game, in a way that never happened under Jones. When we sacked Ralph all a lot of us wanted was a manager that would give us a bit of belief and unite us in our support - and we got the worst possible candidate for that. Maybe Selles can be the delayed option to give us a bit of belief and unity. 

• Like 3

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ruben Selles