Ruben Selles

Dusic

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Just watched it. Best bit is the end when he says it's not enough we need to keep winning. Love that. Such a positive bloke too. I really like him and he's only been in charge a week! 

Yep, likewise. Club legend in the making..? :)

(Hope Lord D doesn't read what I've just written. He'll be apoplectic!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, trousers said:

Yep, likewise. Club legend in the making..? :)

(Hope Lord D doesn't read what I've just written. He'll be apoplectic!)

It feels like even if we were to go down now he's someone you want to give a chance to and you want success for the club but also for him as well because it seems like he deserves it. A small part of me resented any success that Jones got and that's a horrible feeling to have about your club. 

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Just watched it. Best bit is the end when he says it's not enough we need to keep winning. Love that. Such a positive bloke too. I really like him and he's only been in charge a week! 

Wow - this man is fab

• Like 1

He needs to bring our Croatian players in from the cold this week and put an arm around them. Whatever has happened is in the past. We want our best 16 players on the pitch for every match. No more outsiders and favourites.

…and Forum Fans please get rid of your prejudices and give everyone a chance. If Selles thinks they're good enough to be on the pitch then get behind them all.

• Like 11

I’m really hoping we’ve found the answer. As mentioned above he’s extremely likeable, he’s brought an optimism to the fanbase overnight, it would be a great story if he really does have what it takes. Also would be a nice sprinkling of irony if the manager who can get a tune out of our inexperienced team is the one with no managerial experience! 

• Like 2

I'm working nights at the moment so maybe I'm just a bit groggy, but there was a question in his post match conference that I'm sure didn't make any sense? 

"Wins for Bournemouth and Everton today, if you'd lost you'd have been 7 points from safety, as it ended up you're only 2..."

That...doesn't add up surely? Someone tell me I'm not losing it. 

Nevermind the fact we're actually 3 points from safety and if we lost we'd have been 6...

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

He needs to bring our Croatian players in from the cold this week and put an arm around them. Whatever has happened is in the past. We want our best 16 players on the pitch for every match. No more outsiders and favourites.

…and Forum Fans please get rid of your prejudices and give everyone a chance. If Selles thinks they're good enough to be on the pitch then get behind them all.

Correct, I think Bednerak is a better player for our system than DCC. So let's get behind em.

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Even if he ultimately fails, it seems like this is the right decision now. 

Indeed. Better than getting a new chap in to start from square one IMO. Time isn't on our side for that.

Edited by trousers
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, Leslie Charteris said:

Not much wrong with the team spirit there and the players clearly love him, would anyone be disappointed if he was given the job full time?

Getting the right manager in is so hit and miss anyway it would be lunacy to not let him have a crack at the job, especially considering the calibre of those we can attract in our situation.

Edited by aintforever
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, trousers said:

Based on what I've seen so far, nope, would be happy if he got it full time

But it’s one game against a shit Chelsea team struggling.

Let’s see how he gets on Saturday in massive game with Leeds and new manager bounce.

Think we need to lower the expectations here on Selles until proves it over next 6 games

• Like 4

Love this chap so much. Just the complete opposite from the incompetent joker we’ve had to endure for a few months. He is classy, genuine and honest. Traits that don’t often appear that often in modern day football. I’m hoping he we will keep us up but regardless I want him here for the rebuild if needed. If he does keep us up then suits and turtle necks all round for the last game? 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Let’s see how he gets on Saturday in massive game with Leeds and new manager bounce.

Think we need to lower the expectations here on Selles until proves it over next 6 games

Fair point. I'm basing my opinion on a hunch, nothing more, but agree he could turn out to be a 'one hit wonder' in hindsight.... I just happen to be feeling a good vibe at the moment 

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

And he was managing a shit Southampton team struggling.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

Comparing that video to NJs first club video - his David Brent impression - is like comparing a Fiat with a Ferrari 

The thing that struck me was, when Selles talks, players listen and look him in the eye. Compare that to the video of Jones ranting and rambling on the training field in Spain and not one player seemed to be paying any notice to him.

I say make him manager to the end of the season with the option to review. 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

He can't do worse than Jones. If nothing else that's a reason to give him till the end of the season at least. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

If results haven't improved in the next 6 games we're shagged anyway. We've run out of time for indecision - we just need to tell him that the jobs his til the end of the season and permanently if we stay up.

Edited by aintforever
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, trousers said:

Fair point. I'm basing my opinion on a hunch, nothing more, but agree he could turn out to be a 'one hit wonder' in hindsight.... I just happen to be feeling a good vibe at the moment 

Nothing wrong with that I watched the game again several times on Sky etc

We have been starved of that feeling all season and last 14 games last year under Ralph.

Plus I disliked Jones so much as well.

I hope Selles just gets us playing well and some pride back it’s been too long since we had much

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 3

I don't want to put too much of a dampener on the whole Selles is our saviour thing (it's great to have something positive to talk about), but Chelsea did still dominate us in the second half and we had to ride our luck to get the victory. On another day, that luck may have been out. They didn't score, and some good defending was the reason for that, but I am not sure we had a lot of `control' of the game in the second half and if the cross to Mount is six inches lower he has a free header inside the six yard box. Preventing that opportunity wasn't down to good defending, it was just our day.

That said, it's players that play the game. All the manager can do it pick the right side, give them the tactics, motivate and make good in game decisions. He seemed to get all those things right. We certainly looked an awful lot better in the first half and that victory has brought us some hope, but maybe see how we do in a few more games before we give him the job full time. He can't do worse than Jones, but let's see if he can put out the right team and tactics to beat Leeds. If players make mistakes we can then argue whether that was down to the manager picking the wrong guy or the player just being human and doing what they always do - make errors.

Question: Why didn't the board appoint Selles after Ralph? From the outside, he always seemed like the natural successor and a number 2 just waiting to become a number 1. Why didn't they believe in him?

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, aintforever said:

If results haven't improved in the next 6 games we're shagged anyway. We've run out of time for indecision - we just need to tell him that the jobs his til the end of the season and permanently if we stay up.

seem fair. There aren't any other `outstanding' candidates anyway are there?

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

I don't want to put too much of a dampener on the whole Selles is our saviour thing (it's great to have something positive to talk about), but Chelsea did still dominate us in the second half and we had to ride our luck to get the victory. On another day, that luck may have been out. They didn't score, and some good defending was the reason for that, but I am not sure we had a lot of `control' of the game in the second half and if the cross to Mount is six inches lower he has a free header inside the six yard box. Preventing that opportunity wasn't down to good defending, it was just our day.

That said, it's players that play the game. All the manager can do it pick the right side, give them the tactics, motivate and make good in game decisions. He seemed to get all those things right. We certainly looked an awful lot better in the first half and that victory has brought us some hope, but maybe see how we do in a few more games before we give him the job full time. He can't do worse than Jones, but let's see if he can put out the right team and tactics to beat Leeds. If players make mistakes we can then argue whether that was down to the manager picking the wrong guy or the player just being human and doing what they always do - make errors.

Question: Why didn't the board appoint Selles after Ralph? From the outside, he always seemed like the natural successor and a number 2 just waiting to become a number 1. Why didn't they believe in him?

Are people saying to give it to him full time? Even Selles himself has said that he’s happy with it until the end of the season, which seems like the right choice to me, it’s getting too late to get anyone else decent in.

As to your question, the board approached Jones in the summer didn’t they? So he’s been on their radar for some time. Selles said in his presser that he wanted the job after Ralph, so I guess he was just overlooked.

Edited by The Kraken
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chez said:

I'd counter that by saying we probably had the best chance of the whole game in the 2nd half, if Adam Armstrong gets a tiny bit luckier there or Kepa is a tiny bit slower getting out we probably score. I'd also reckon had our player tackled with a dangerous high foot like that he'd have got sent off, so overall I'd say if you are talking luck then Chelsea had a decent bit as well.

Plus that is a Chelsea team that has had near £500 million spent on it in the last 6 months, mainly in attacking areas, if one attacker is misfiring they have multiple other quality players to bring on so they were always going to create chances, but in the end they didn't create that much. 

Also got to remember this is a team that last week lost whilst 1-0 up to a much worse and 10 man Wolves team, they were going to be nervous so a lot of credit has to be given to him for not only being brave with the way we played but also picking the players up from last weeks embarrassing defeat and getting them to show the courage and fight again because they must have been at a very low ebb last week.

Don't think anyone is saying give him the full time job now, till the end of season seems fine and see if he can earn the permanent spot, but lots of positive signs there already after just one week and one game. 

To answer your last question I can only presume experience, he hasn't really managed a senior team, he's just been part of various coaching set ups. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Chez said:

Don't know the answer to that. What i would say though is like all things footy (manager choices, player transfers) there is an element of timing, luck and situation about them which means the same player/manager can be more or less of success by doing the same things. Picking up the club after Jones with a clear need to pull together may be an easier situation for him to join than after ralph leaving. Not an easier job to get the points needed but after Jones the club was ripe for being galvanised. Not belittling this approach in the short time but the fans are on side immediately following Jones, backed up with a great result admittedly. After Ralph, even though it was time to go, would he have been seen as anything other than the cheap option and would the players have rallied in the same way? Dunno the answer to that question either but sometimes things work out in football that are simply situation and I'm hoping the start of his management career at saints works like that!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Are people saying to give it to him full time? Even Selles himself has said that he’s happy with it until the end of the season, which seems like the right choice to me, it’s getting too late to get anyone else decent in.

As to your question, the board approached Jones in the summer didn’t they? So he’s been on their radar for some time. Selles said in his presser that he wanted the job after Ralph, so I guess he was just overlooked.

I'm happy if we give it to him for the rest of the season. He seems confident and capable. The previous two managers have tried pretty much every formation and failed to get a tune out of the players, so returning to the 442 (or 4-2-2-2 of you prefer) makes sense and he knows it as well as anyone.    

I wonder how we would all have felt if we had turned to him as the manager after Ralph. With Grey and Wigley both being disasters, I suspect there would have been a fair bit of apprehension. With hindsight, he simply could not have done worse than Jones, but we obviously all hoped for better than Jones.

Haven't seen this suggested yet. Apologies if it has.....a tweak to the lyrics.......

Let it never be said, Southampton are dead

We're the pride of the South, we've got James Ward Prowse

We've got Lavia too, and we're coming for you

We go marching in, so let the singing begin.......

Ruben Ruben Ruben Ruben

Da Da Da Da Da Da

Ruben Ruben Ruben Ruben

Da Da Da Da Da Da

Repeat as long as you want......

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

I'd counter that by saying we probably had the best chance of the whole game in the 2nd half, if Adam Armstrong gets a tiny bit luckier there or Kepa is a tiny bit slower getting out we probably score. I'd also reckon had our player tackled with a dangerous high foot like that he'd have got sent off, so overall I'd say if you are talking luck then Chelsea had a decent bit as well.

Plus that is a Chelsea team that has had near £500 million spent on it in the last 6 months, mainly in attacking areas, if one attacker is misfiring they have multiple other quality players to bring on so they were always going to create chances, but in the end they didn't create that much. 

Also got to remember this is a team that last week lost whilst 1-0 up to a much worse and 10 man Wolves team, they were going to be nervous so a lot of credit has to be given to him for not only being brave with the way we played but also picking the players up from last weeks embarrassing defeat and getting them to show the courage and fight again because they must have been at a very low ebb last week.

Don't think anyone is saying give him the full time job now, till the end of season seems fine and see if he can earn the permanent spot, but lots of positive signs there already after just one week and one game. 

To answer your last question I can only presume experience, he hasn't really managed a senior team, he's just been part of various coaching set ups. 

Very good points (there was the Mraa chance too). I guess I just don't want to get my hopes up too much that what we saw will be replicated from now on it. If it is, then we have half a chance of staying up. At this point I don't see anyone else offering us a better chance than Selles.

45 minutes ago, Chez said:

Most likely because the "Brains" trust had blown so much sunshine up their own backsides for "the greater good" of SR - that promoting the managers number 2 would come across as being cheap and tin pot - so having convinced themselves with BS that Jones the nugget was for real and not fools gold, pushed him so far that he accepted, he was nowhere as big a risk for their egos, as stepping up the more suitable candidate from within.

If you dig out the Reuben Selles thread from the Autumn, aside from the clowns with no vision or SR brains, the majority of us were accepting of giving him a spin - I have a work colleague who on first impressions you would think she was scatty, put her in her daily selling domain and she is a silent assassin. I could sense the MD just couldn't see it and was slightly belittling, we had 6 days away at a trade show recently and for the first time in 17 years she was eclipsing my often remarked work rate. At last the penny has dropped with the MD - what I had been trying to tell him, he could actually see for himself..................................more often than not, upper management  can't see the value of the gems they already have.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

Most likely because the "Brains" trust had blown so much sunshine up their own backsides for "the greater good" of SR - that promoting the managers number 2 would come across as being cheap and tin pot- so having convinced themselves with BS that Jones the nugget was for real and not fools gold, pushed him so far that he accepted, he was nowhere as big a risk for their egos, as stepping up the more suitable candidate from within.

If you dig out the Reuben Selles thread from the Autumn, aside from the clowns with no vision or SR brains, the majority of us were accepting of giving him a spin - I have a work colleague who on first impressions you would think she was scatty, put her in her daily selling domain and she is a silent assassin. I could sense the MD just couldn't see it and was slightly belittling, we had 6 days away at a trade show recently and for the first time in 17 years she was eclipsing my often remarked work rate. At last the penny has dropped with the MD - what I had been trying to tell him, he could actually see for himself..................................more often than not, upper management  can't see the value of the gems they already have.

Yes because promoting Thomas Frank failed miserably for Rasmus Ankerssen at Brentford, he wouldn't do that again...

Edited by Nolan

1 hour ago, Chez said:

There aren't any other `outstanding' candidates anyway are there?

This is the bottom line for me. 

Whilst it is too early to  judge whether he’s the right man long term, what he has done is steadied the ship and calmed everything down. It looks like he’s bought the board time and ensured they don’t need to rush into a hasty appointment (which appeared the case with the American bloke). 

• Like 3

Sure we were up against it in the 2nd half as Chelsea threw everything at us and the Ref did his bit too, but I believe you make your own luck sometimes and that’s what I saw from our team…they fought for every ball…put bodies on the line…and put in a really courageous battle for their gaffer. That’s what a relegation scrap requires and who knows, we might still go down, but we definitely will do without those sorts of performances. Selles IS the real deal.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM
  • Like 3

I think the interview process should last a bit longer. The positive doubt may act as an incentive to both Selles and the players who want him to have the job to nail a few top performances and hopefully results. Bournemouth did really well with a caretaker but the performances then fell off when he was given a contract. Let him know the contract is his to obtain provided we show that the early performances are no flash in the pan.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, trousers said:

Indeed. Better than getting a new chap in to start from square one IMO. Time isn't on our side for that.

Is there anybody better who'd want to come here, that's the question. Even if it all goes tits up at Elland Road still he must be given a fair crack of the whip.

Maybe Benitez as DoF leaves the way clear for Selles

Edited by Charlie Wayman

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ruben Selles