Ruben Selles

Dusic

20 minutes ago, Maggie May said:

I know very little about Selles but there’s two things he gave from that press conference that NJ never did from day one - confidence and hope.

You can add in class, charisma and decent teeth too. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Just watched the first part of the selles press conference. I have to say i am actually very impressed with him. We can certainly do worse. If his tactics are as good as his speaking he could prove to be a real diamond in the ruff. 

Interesting that he took numerous opportunities to praise Ralph unprompted, even calling him one of the best coaches in the world. Doesn't quite fit with the narrative on here / leaked by a few disgruntled players, and Selles is very much someone who was inside that camp 🧐

Also, in the way Saints fans get on board with promoting academy players to the first team and giving them a go, i can see the fanbase getting on baord with promoting Selles from within - ofc subject to on pitch performances! 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 4

pudding.jpg

He knows he'd not be in the seat, had it not been for this season's mess.

Actually, he pointed out that it's been a bit dodgy for 4-5 years. He did point out he'd learned from Ralph's approach too, so not all bad.

Despite needing wins, he was brought in to improve us as a defensive unit, to balance out the vulnerable parts of Ralph's system. From his comments, it doesn't look as though we'll be overcommitting players forward, to grab a goal. Units and sensible pressing.

Like all our managers, I hope he's a great success with us.

• Like 2

He certainly interviews well. But so do I and I'm an utter cūnt. 

He's got a lot of experience as a coach so there's no reason to believe he can't make a go of it. I'm looking forward to seeing the team he puts out tomorrow, please god no Bednarek.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Morse said:

He's got a lot of experience as a coach so there's no reason to believe he can't make a go of it. I'm looking forward to seeing the team he puts out tomorrow, please god no Bednarek.  

I feel 1000% certain he wont be in the squad, if he starts selles has lost me.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

pudding.jpg

He knows he'd not be in the seat, had it not been for this season's mess.

Actually, he pointed out that it's been a bit dodgy for 4-5 years. He did point out he'd learned from Ralph's approach too, so not all bad.

Despite needing wins, he was brought in to improve us as a defensive unit, to balance out the vulnerable parts of Ralph's system. From his comments, it doesn't look as though we'll be overcommitting players forward, to grab a goal. Units and sensible pressing.

Like all our managers, I hope he's a great success with us.

The proof is in the barbecue sauce. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Well that press conference was a breath of fresh air. Agree with plenty that's already been said: articulate, reflective, thoughtful, a dash of steeliness, some actual ambition of his own, emotionally literate, can express himself using actual ideas and actual examples, can clearly handle the media well enough without resorting to bullshit or defensiveness.

It shouldn't be a lovely surprise that we have a manager [however temporary] who can do this, but it is- not just after the repetitive cliches and passive aggressive petulance of NJ, but also compared with Ralph's slightly distant, aloof style. 

If he's serious about wanting the job permanently, I can imagine him interviewing very well. I wonder what his metrics and Points Of Reference are like? :) 

Most importantly, if he can speak to the media like that, we can be hopeful that he can communicate with the players too.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, ScandiSaint said:

Nice comments. My only concern would be what will happen now if they give the permanent job to someone else and he is asked to be an assistant again? Given his strong comments about wanting to be a number one. 

If I was the board I'd be asking any prospective manager how they would handle having as capable and ambitious a guy as this already in the "village"...

8 minutes ago, Morse said:

That's very funny.

People who interview well and turn out to be toxic are usually a bit brittle and shiny at interview, and don't respond well to unusual questions where they just need to be a human being to answer them. Selles sounds like he's got a very clear idea of what kind of human being he is [also v impressed that he could rattle off a list of coaches who's inspired him, and why]. 

• Like 2

What struck me was his lack of ego, his positivity and shining intelligence, almost the complete opposite of what we have had to endure these past three months. I could listen to him for hours and not get bored.

Dare we hope (and pray) that potentially we may have a superb new manager in prospect hidden in plain view. Surely we all wish him well and hope he gets a fair crack of the whip.  

Suddenly it feels like the impossible may be possible after all.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Warriorsaint said:

What has being Welsh got to do with it “you English twat!”

See how the prefix is irrelevant you xenophobic cock knobbler!

Every Welshman I have ever met has had a chip on there shoulder , you just proved it !!!!!!   Nathan Jones was welsh and he was Welsh ALL FACT thats what it has to do with ,

You assumed I am English which you should never do , I am actually Cornish haha

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, charliemiller said:

Every Welshman I have ever met has had a chip on there shoulder , you just proved it !!!!!!   Nathan Jones was welsh and he was Welsh ALL FACT thats what it has to do with ,

You assumed I am English which you should never do , I am actually Cornish haha

Oh the Irony, who said I was Welsh? I just call out the xenophobes. I will put in a wild guess. You voted for brexit!

Was it his Welshness that makes him a twat or just the fact he was a twat?

If I insert the word black or muslim do you see the problem? Do they all have a chip on their shoulder or is it in fact you have the chip on your shoulder?

Edited by Warriorsaint

3 hours ago, Super_Uwe said:

He's obviously a very smart bloke and I wish him well. 

It's still a massive gamble, if Rupert Lowe was still in charge the fans would be going nuts!

They promised NJ time with the "new weapons" at the fans' forum and they gave him one game.

So forgive me for the lack of trust in what they are doing, because it feels very much like they are totally winging it.

You're honestly annoyed they didn't give mad nate more time. Just wow.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Warriorsaint said:

Oh the Irony, who said I was Welsh? I just call out the xenophobes. I will put in a wild guess. You voted for brexit!

If I insert the word black or muslim do you see the problem? Do they all have a chip on their shoulder or is it in fact you have the chip on your shoulder?

Was he not just referring to the Welsh twat instead of the Danish twat, so we knew which twat he was referencing?

Am I allowed to say he? Or does that offend you? 

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Warriorsaint said:

Agreed with you until the brexit comment. Makes you as bad as him imo.

30 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

What struck me was his lack of ego, his positivity and shining intelligence, almost the complete opposite of what we have had to endure these past three months. I could listen to him for hours and not get bored.

Dare we hope (and pray) that potentially we may have a superb new manager in prospect hidden in plain view. Surely we all wish him well and hope he gets a fair crack of the whip.  

Suddenly it feels like the impossible may be possible after all.

If Selles proves himself to be a top class manager it will be amazing. Obviously none of us know how he will do but his CV shows he's gained a fair bit of experience in different countries. Like you say, we must all wish him well and hope this works out for him and the club - might be a long shot but let's see.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

Was he not just referring to the Welsh twat instead of the Danish twat, so we knew which twat he was referencing?

Am I allowed to say he? Or does that offend you? 

He was putting emphasis on nationality as a negative so a xenophobe.

The fact you baited the gender culture war (he) also tells me you are as simplistic as him and at the gullible mercy of the tabloids who form your opinions.

I’m not offended by either of you. I pity  the fact more intelligent people laugh at how easily your opinions are manipulated. You don’t have an original thought between you. The fact I am able to judge your opinions based on a few sentences tells me that Tim Martin and Jeremy Clarkson are your  level.

I’m tired now and will retire this rant to the lounge where it belongs.

Edited by Warriorsaint
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, richardc said:

im extremely disappointed by that presser - I have still no idea how fit he is or whether his aggression or Xg matches those of the best in Europe 

Hope Adam asks him at the next presser

Did he say that he could have stayed home in Valencia and married a nice Spanish girl?

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Warriorsaint said:

I called him a Welsh twat the other day and I am Welsh. You’re a little sensitive. Just relax. It’s Friday night. Have another strawberry daiquiri.

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Warriorsaint said:

The problem I have with your argument, and it's one I have seen many times, is that you are doing the exact same thing you are accusing others of doing. You don't like people being stereotyped because they're Welsh or black or muslim, or whatever.  You don't want people to make assumptions based on that, which is absolutely right (doesn't stop the scots, Irish, Welsh calling us english bastards at the rugby though funnily enough, which seems more than acceptable), However, you're quick yourself to jump in the same boat "you voted for brexit" "you like Jeremy Clarkson" i.e he is white, english, of a certain class. So what exactly if he voted for Brexit or he didn't? Just shows you have prejudices too I'm afraid

Edited by Golac's Cunning Stunts
  • Like 12

2 hours ago, Warriorsaint said:

He was putting emphasis on nationality as a negative so a xenophobe.

The fact you baited the gender culture war (he) also tells me you are as simplistic as him and at the gullible mercy of the tabloids who form your opinions.

I’m not offended by either of you. I pity  the fact more intelligent people laugh at how easily your opinions are manipulated. You don’t have an original thought between you. The fact I am able to judge your opinions based on a few sentences tells me that Tim Martin and Jeremy Clarkson are your  level.

I’m tired now and will retire this rant to the lounge where it belongs.

I do love Jeremy Clarkson. Have you watched Clarkson's Farm? Tis' right good. No idea who the other fella is but if you tell me I'll like him I'm all for it.

You can certainly see why the players relate/like him, comes across as a very likeable fella - but more impressive was the common sense he spoke, direct, clear, concise - none of this coded nonsense or clinches, he answered questions straight to the point which was refreshing.

We'll see how it goes, nothing will be decided tomorrow and like he actually said a win doesn't mean he stays and a defeat doesn't mean he's totally discounted. 

He wasn't very gracious towards Jones, no real warmth there at all. He showed much more warmth in his comments to the manager before Jones, which I think is really telling - it does feel as if Selles was a huge voice feeding back to the board re: Jones hopelessness, just a shame it took so long for anyone to act.

• Like 1

The full press conference with the embargoed section has just been uploaded. He talks about how important finding a spine or core group of 7 or 8 players is and then sticking to it, will be very interesting to see the starting line up tomorrow to see who starts CB. (Im hoping DCC and ABK (Or Sali)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Warriorsaint said:

Pretty much explains it…

https://youtu.be/1QD0-tGbxcQ

• Like 7

4 hours ago, CamberwellSaint said:

That's very funny.

People who interview well and turn out to be toxic are usually a bit brittle and shiny at interview, and don't respond well to unusual questions where they just need to be a human being to answer them. Selles sounds like he's got a very clear idea of what kind of human being he is [also v impressed that he could rattle off a list of coaches who's inspired him, and why]. 

You just need to mix up your interview questions and ask them ‘how much of a cunt are you?’ And if they say not much of one and then touch their ear they’re a cunt

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, tunit said:

The full press conference with the embargoed section has just been uploaded. He talks about how important finding a spine or core group of 7 or 8 players is and then sticking to it, will be very interesting to see the starting line up tomorrow to see who starts CB. (Im hoping DCC and ABK (Or Sali)

Definitely something that is needed and encouraging. Tighten the team and ditch the likes of Walcott, Djenepo, JB et al for good. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, tunit said:

Beale said just that about 7 or 8 in a conference the other day.

Would love to see this guy get a tune out of the team tomorrow. He talks so much sense he deserves to get of to a good start and that doesn't necessarily mean a win. I worry that his biggest problem is going to be individual errors that cost us goals or result in missed chances. However, if he can get this core or spine of the team right that he mentions maybe we'll eliminate some of the mistakes which often stem from panic or disorganisation.

• Like 5

Having just listened to part 1 and 2 of the press conference, all I can say is:

“damn it Ruben you got me!” 

He is obviously an ambitious man and has been waiting his time for a team to put his own ideas across on the pitch. 
what I liked about Ralph ( early days before he gave up) was his charisma, humility and his passion / knowledge of football - he blatantly slept dreaming of tactics. I get the same feeling of Ruben that he watches every possible match, learns from every manager and absorbs it all. Might be wrong of course but it’s the same feeling as to why I wanted to keep giving Ralph benefit of the doubt ( it finally went after the palace match btw).

so whether Ruben is our answer or the experiment fails I don’t know, but  I genuinely wish him well and if the later then I would not be surprised to see him doing well at a European club in the future and getting linked to Prem jobs as the ‘young hip manager surprising big teams in Europe’

but for the Chelsea match and remaining games what I got was

• this is his team / his blueprint - but not much new can be implemented, so keep the good things from from previous managers but tweak game management and the moments where a difference could matter
  • am expecting a Ralph high press
  • expect more of the senior players (Duje, Mislav, 2x Armstrongs.  maybe?)

• Like 4

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ruben Selles