Ruben Selles

Dusic

14 minutes ago, kelkel31 said:

Far too premature just to be saying give him the job, Chelsea are also a poor team at the moment and of course there is the obvious issues with the caretaker manager not transitioning into a good manager on far too many occasions.  Lets break down what i think so far

Press work - top notch, not even taking account of what he's being based against, he has spoken very well

Team selection - Questionable. I understand the KWP being left out, that's fine coming back from injury but Bednarek and Elyounoussi, I'm sorry just no. Moi proved again how he is just a waste of a shirt and all that can be said of Jonny B is we didn't notice he was in the game, that was enough for today.

Performance - The players played today, worked as a team, worked hard and had quality at times as well. Definite change of style, possession stats in the first half were quite even and we moved the ball well at times. Desire was there to keep a clean sheet and Bazunu showed more confidence than he has in many matches.

Substitutions - timing was great, maybe what allowed us to keep the lead. Wasn't happy that Moi and AMN stayed on. I understand that the front line were tiring but i think AMN was an accident waiting to happen and KWP would have provided good energy and Moi was so wasteful they may have been more important changes , tall Paul's race was clearly run.

So the Leeds game is massive, we win and he probably has to have more games maybe even the end of the season, lose and its anybody's guess. Something also needs to be said about DCC and Orsic if at all possible(i.e not some disciplinary process), we cant afford to waste talent. 

So basically he got everything right apart from the choices of the team, which was proven to be right.

What more so you want to see?

As we have seen with Poch, Koeman, Pellegrino, Jones it doesn't take long to see if a good manager can affect performances positively or a bad one negatively, why waste time when the decision is obvious?

• Like 1

Selles will go up another notch if (fitness permitting) he replaces Janny B and AMN with Salisu and KWP next week.

Yes both were solid today, but if fit, Salisu and KWP are one of the first names on our team sheet.

Hopefully get Che back in the squad too. As frustrating as he is, hes much more of a threat off the bench than Walcott

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Well he looks the part and sounds the part. A good win today in a game we traditionally lose. Players clearly love him. What’s not to like. 

I agree apart from the traditional loss thing. In recent years, Stamford Bridge has been a pretty happy hunting ground for us when you consider who Chelsea are!

• Like 3

Fantastic result today but I'd hold off on giving him the job permanently for now.

Give him the Leeds game and if we get the same level of performance then I'll start coming around to the idea. 

He's obviously had an impact this week but don't forget that Chelsea are in turmoil and had won 1 in 9 before today. 

The players seem to be on his side, but I remember beating Everton away under Jones and saying the same thing.

What he has given us is hope. Hope that there's still a team in there that can compete and pick up points, which is something we've been lacking for most of this season. 

• Like 13
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Sfcphilc said:

Fantastic result today but I'd hold off on giving him the job permanently for now.

Give him the Leeds game and if we get the same level of performance then I'll start coming around to the idea. 

I just don’t see who else we could realistically get ? The only obvious choice turned us down so you’ve only got lampard etc left which just seems daft.

doubt he’d want to stay as ‘caretaker’ all year either.

• Like 2

Having started Elyounoussi and Bednarek, and subbed off Sulemana, Onuachu and Lavia for Walcott, Adam Armstrong and Mara, opinions would be very, very different had we lost. No doubting the energy, enthusiasm and passion from the whole squad today - they had real fight in them today - but lets look at this in the cold light of day tomorrow. I've been impressed by Selles so far overall, but I can't take another manager that sees Elyounoussi as a guaranteed starter

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Christophenburg said:

Having started Elyounoussi and Bednarek, and subbed off Sulemana, Onuachu and Lavia for Walcott, Adam Armstrong and Mara, opinions would be very, very different had we lost. No doubting the energy, enthusiasm and passion from the whole squad today - they had real fight in them today - but lets look at this in the cold light of day tomorrow. I've been impressed by Selles so far overall, but I can't take another manager that sees Elyounoussi as a guaranteed starter

Don't think we have won a league game this season without him starting ;)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Christophenburg said:

You make some good points there, I can't disagree with any of that. The jury's still out for me about giving him the job after one win.

That being said, even if we'd lost today the performance was very good, especially the first half where we were excellent. Selles is definitely not a Wigley or Gray (which is what I was worried about), and comes across as tactically aware, intelligent with a good, calm personality. In short, the polar opposite of Ankersen's disastrous muppet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Christophenburg said:

I guess you not at the match today????  Any one who was could see Sulemana, Onuachu and Lavia were all shot.  But i guess that's why Selles takes charge & you post on a forum!!

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

10 hours ago, saint1977 said:

Seems like Selles has been swigging from the same bottles of very strong alcohol that it felt like Jones did and Ralph seemed as if he was in his final few months whilst selecting the team. Just pick a fan at random in the away end today and put them in charge until the summer. Can’t do any worse than the so-called football professionals have this wretched season, the worst in the club’s history.

Ok pal

2 hours ago, kelkel31 said:

Far too premature just to be saying give him the job, Chelsea are also a poor team at the moment and of course there is the obvious issues with the caretaker manager not transitioning into a good manager on far too many occasions.  Lets break down what i think so far

Press work - top notch, not even taking account of what he's being based against, he has spoken very well

Team selection - Questionable. I understand the KWP being left out, that's fine coming back from injury but Bednarek and Elyounoussi, I'm sorry just no. Moi proved again how he is just a waste of a shirt and all that can be said of Jonny B is we didn't notice he was in the game, that was enough for today.

Performance - The players played today, worked as a team, worked hard and had quality at times as well. Definite change of style, possession stats in the first half were quite even and we moved the ball well at times. Desire was there to keep a clean sheet and Bazunu showed more confidence than he has in many matches.

Substitutions - timing was great, maybe what allowed us to keep the lead. Wasn't happy that Moi and AMN stayed on. I understand that the front line were tiring but i think AMN was an accident waiting to happen and KWP would have provided good energy and Moi was so wasteful they may have been more important changes , tall Paul's race was clearly run.

So the Leeds game is massive, we win and he probably has to have more games maybe even the end of the season, lose and its anybody's guess. Something also needs to be said about DCC and Orsic if at all possible(i.e not some disciplinary process), we cant afford to waste talent. 

With the options we've got, Moi offers something in these games against the big guns which others don't, which is how he assists defensively. He was superb in the reverse fixture (probably my MOTM) and I fully expected him to be in the XI today.

AMN was outstanding last week and was again so today. My MOTM today. 

• Like 4

Remember the euphoria after we beat City in the League Cup when many thought perhaps Jones does have something? It’s far too early to be seriously thinking about making Selles permanent. It’s one game vs a side in poor form. 
I know we won yesterday (through our customary JWP free kick) and it feels good but Selles made some very bizarre selections and subs that had we lost would have triggered this forum to be cussing and  ranting. Be honest if you had been told a year ago that in 12 months time the current manager would still be giving Walcott game time what would you have thought? 
Lose to Leeds and it’s back to square one. I have seen too many false dawns to throw my weight behind the clamour to anoint Ruben just yet and who knows Potter might be available soon. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Selles will go up another notch if (fitness permitting) he replaces Janny B and AMN with Salisu and KWP next week.

Yes both were solid today, but if fit, Salisu and KWP are one of the first names on our team sheet.

Hopefully get Che back in the squad too. As frustrating as he is, hes much more of a threat off the bench than Walcott

Yeah but Che, is injured, so who you gonna call? Got to be Ghostbuster Walcott fresh from the 2005 season, when he made his debut and became Saints youngest ever scorer (16 & 143 days) against who? Oh yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss LEEDS UNITED, lets hope he can be our youngest and oldest scorer against the same team! (Not sure about oldest ever, but youngest and oldest against same team has to be a record, go go go Theo)

Edited by HnycS
grammar

4 hours ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

With the options we've got, Moi offers something in these games against the big guns which others don't, which is how he assists defensively. He was superb in the reverse fixture (probably my MOTM) and I fully expected him to be in the XI today.

AMN was outstanding last week and was again so today. My MOTM today. 

At last some sense. Moi played a big part in that win. He stopped us getting overrun down our left, and as he can defend, he helps us keep our shape. AMN switched off a few times, but was brilliant otherwise. Great bit of play to play in Walcott for his (superb) cross for A Armstrong's chance. 

• Like 2

Tough game, they'll certainly see this as a 'must-win' and a fixture where they should be getting maximum points now. Like at Everton, their crowd will be pumped up, we've already sold out the away allocation but I assume we didn't take the max so will need to be up for it to have an impact. Hoping for a similar outcome to Goodison but have to be realistic and may have to be content with taking a point.

Edit: Wrong thread!

Edited by alehouseboys
Thought I was posting in the Leeds build up

1 hour ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Remember the euphoria after we beat City in the League Cup when many thought perhaps Jones does have something? It’s far too early to be seriously thinking about making Selles permanent. It’s one game vs a side in poor form. 
I know we won yesterday (through our customary JWP free kick) and it feels good but Selles made some very bizarre selections and subs that had we lost would have triggered this forum to be cussing and  ranting. Be honest if you had been told a year ago that in 12 months time the current manager would still be giving Walcott game time what would you have thought? 
Lose to Leeds and it’s back to square one. I have seen too many false dawns to throw my weight behind the clamour to anoint Ruben just yet and who knows Potter might be available soon. 

There were no bizarre selections or subs.

DCC isn't being involved for reasons we don't know. Salisu was injured. It was Lyanco or Bednarek and even the biggest Bednarek opponent would agree he's a better CB than Lyanco. Bednarek was superb. 

KWP is coming back from injury. Clearly not ready. It was Bree or AMN at right back. He made the right call - AMN had a good game.

Moi. I get irritated by people who say he's shit. Moi helps us keep shape as he doesn't need others to get drawn out of position to help him, thus leaving gaps elsewhere. He doesn't need others to cover as he's out of position. He doesn't need others to cover while he jogs back. We'd have got annihilated down our left yesterday if Edozie or Aribo were the instead. Absolutely the right call.

The subs. The strikers and Armstrong were knackered. The press had gone. We had no pace left on the counter. The front two had to change. AMN was being left 2 vs 1 so we needed protection and more of a threat down the right, and without changing our shape. Walcott did well - far more disciplined than Edozie, Aribo, Djenepo would have been - and put in probably the best cross from a Saints player this season for A Armstrong to nearly score.

The later subs were equally correct.

He got it spot in yesterday. 

Edited by egg
  • Like 37

Great result, and woke up to understanding what it feels like the next day after a win.

One thing for me, was a good as Tall Paul was, I noticed there were a few occasions had he knocked the ball round the corner when he was holding it up, Sulemana would be through.

So positive in that we had willing runners, but needed a little quicker release - which I guess will come with time playing together. I thought Paul had a great game other than that. Think he may just get a brace next week.

Edited by Billy the Kidd
  • Like 1

Just now, Billy the Kidd said:

Great result, and woke up to understanding what it feels like the next day after a win.

One thing for me, was a good as Tall Paul was, I noticed there were a few occasions had he knocked the ball round the corner when he was holding it up, Sulemana would be through.

So positive in that we had willing runners, but needed a little quicker release - which I guess will come with time playing together. I thought Paul had a great game other than that. Think he may just get a brace next week.

Yep. I liked Paul. Moved across the front line, dropped off when needed, won the ball, held it up, even won it deep at one point and switched play with a lovely long ball. Like you said, he was slow to release it at times but he's a better footballer than I thought he would be, and with some time training and playing together, I think he and Sulemena could be a cracking partnership. 

• Like 4

One thing struck me particularly is Selles said we needed an identity before the match. He certainly delivered on that promise. We didn't look like eleven blokes who'd met on the coach for first time unlike the rest of this season.

If we continue and evolve that identity we're not going down without a fight. Whether we've left it too late us another matter but for the first time in ages it feels like we've got a chance.

• Like 7

Just watched his post match on the official site.

https://www.southamptonfc.com/

Things that stood out

- he talked up everyone - all his players, his coaches, the fans

- he's clearly enjoying his job

- he said he's excited to see how good his players can be

- he's excited about being alive in the relegation fight

It's only one game but I can't help but think this is a style of leadership that is going to get the best out of people. Roll on Leeds.

• Like 5

56 minutes ago, egg said:

DCC isn't being involved for reasons we don't know. Salisu was injured. It was Lyanco or Bednarek and even the biggest Bednarek opponent would agree he's a better CB than Lyanco. Bednarek was superb. 

KWP is coming back from injury. Clearly not ready. It was Bree or AMN at right back. He made the right call - AMN had a good game.

Moi. I get irritated by people who say he's shit. Moi helps us keep shape as he doesn't need others to get drawn out of position to help him, thus leaving gaps elsewhere. He doesn't need others to cover as he's out of position. He doesn't need others to cover while he jogs back. We'd have got annihilated down our left yesterday if Edozie or Aribo were the instead. Absolutely the right call.

The subs. The strikers and Armstrong were knackered. The press had gone. We had no pace left on the counter. The front two had to change. AMN was being left 2 vs 1 so we needed protection and more of a threat down the right, and without changing our shape. Walcott did well - far more disciplined than Edozie, Aribo, Djenepo would have been - and put in probably the best cross from a Saints player this season for A Armstrong to nearly score.

Mate don’t get me wrong. What I am saying is much as I would like to believe Selles could be the answer, it’s far too early (1 match) to get carried away. Had we lost yesterday then the fact Elyounoussi, Bednarek and Walcott played would have brought the heavens down. 
We shall see. As everyone knows it’s the hope that kills you and I’m trying hard to keep my hope levels under control. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, egg said:

All of this is correct.

Thought all the subs who came on did well, really upped the pressure on the Chelsea defense and didn't give them a moment on the ball.

Walcott was great. Really helped AMN on that side, made a few good passes and stuck in a lovely cross.

Moi worked so hard, it's so frustrating when he fails to make what look reasonably easy passes because that's what people notice  over the rest of his contribution to the team yesterday.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

I get that many of us disagreed with the starting eleven )I know I did) and may have viewed the subs as slightly strange. However, you have to look at the way Selles set those players up and what he managed to eke out of them to achieve a very impressive win. I also don't buy the bit about Chelsea being in poor form - doesn't the same apply to us and haven't they spent millions more on top quality players? Selles for me did a number on Potter who is a very well thought of manager (unless you support Chelsea).  I'm not saying give Selles a 3 year contract now but he's raised the interest levels and given us fans some hope that this might be more than a false dawn by every step he's made so far. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, egg said:

The subs. The strikers and Armstrong were knackered. The press had gone. We had no pace left in the counter. The front two had to change. AMN was being left 2 vs 1 so we needed protection and more of a threat down the right, and without changing our shape. Walcott did well - far more disciplined than Edozie, Aribo, Djenepo would have been - and put on probably the best cross from a Saints player for A Armstrong to nearly score.

Interesting comments Egg.   I just don't see the defensive and shape qualities you see in Elyounoussi.  I also can't see a case for having a front four where one component consistently misses his passes,  loses the ball or blunts any flow in attack.     I saw Moi being outpaced on our left flank several times yesterday and it was Perraud, ABK and Lavia who plugged the gaps.   I honestly think that A. Armstrong offers more in the position Moi played yesterday, both in defensive cover and certainly with his pace and direct running.   Likewise, Stuart Armstrong, who showed up in the first half, could fill the same role.    I'd also question whether Bednarek was excellent yesterday - he was ok; but he's been a serial weakness over time and we need the more dynamic, dependable option of Salisu (relieved to hear he was injured and not omitted), ABK or CC if the slim chance of staying up is to be reached.

Agree that AMN had a very good game - he put in more effort than seen previously and has an excellent range of passing and control in tight spaces.  We will be a better side when KWP returns though.

• Like 1

Fitzhugh is right to be cautious, it is only one game. 

What the performance, attitude and general aura around the players and fans means though is that Selles has bought himself more time to prove his worth, and eased the pressure on the board to find a replacement - we all know there isn't a huge pool of talent to choose from now, so if Selles is doing the job then we don't need to dive into it just yet. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Dusic said:

So basically he got everything right apart from the choices of the team, which was proven to be right.

As we have seen with Poch, Koeman, Pellegrino, Jones it doesn't take long to see if a good manager can affect performances positively or a bad one negatively, why waste time when the decision is obvious?

Why the rush? He’s not exactly going anywhere. 

I think with this limited squad and certain players out, he selected the right players in the correct formation. Let’s see if he can get the players to repeat the performance especially when he has all the squad to choose from. Signs are positive and we’re getting an identity back in the team. 

• Like 2

Moi plays - especially in these games - because he's one of our only attackers who has the ability to receive the ball in tight spaces without losing it. He's a frustrating player, especially with his final ball. But having somebody comfortable and calm enough to receive and recycle the ball in the middle/final 3rd in a game where you know possession is going to be scarce is vital.

6 minutes ago, austsaint said:

Interesting comments Egg.   I just don't see the defensive and shape qualities you see in Elyounoussi.  I also can't see a case for having a front four where one component consistently misses his passes,  loses the ball or blunts any flow in attack.     I saw Moi being outpaced on our left flank several times yesterday and it was Perraud, ABK and Lavia who plugged the gaps.   I honestly think that A. Armstrong offers more in the position Moi played yesterday, both in defensive cover and certainly with his pace and direct running.   Likewise, Stuart Armstrong, who showed up in the first half, could fill the same role.    I'd also question whether Bednarek was excellent yesterday - he was ok; but he's been a serial weakness over time and we need the more dynamic, dependable option of Salisu (relieved to hear he was injured and not omitted), ABK or CC if the slim chance of staying up is to be reached.

Agree that AMN had a very good game - he put in more effort than seen previously and has an excellent range of passing and control in tight spaces.  We will be a better side when KWP returns though.

Id of said a lot of this is quite biased imo

Bednarek has been pretty awful certainly since he came back, but his performance yesterday was excellent and his stats back up what I saw on the pitch

As for Ely, egg is spot on, I agree he isn’t good enough from an attacking perspective but he offers tactical consistency, tracking back and covers really well for Perraud who’s main issue is he is naturally an attack first FB, if we are to continue with a 4222 then to replace him we’d need someone comfortable on the ball and able to cover back.. Edozie isn’t that man, Arma maybe but his ball retention is awful and perhaps Aribo but he doesn’t work hard enough

AMN was excellent too, agree KWP is better overall but he’s had a poor season too imo

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Dusic said:

Chelsea were poor - fact . They still had us on edge for a long period and we only survived with great desire and last ditch defending which was great to finally see. You can get everything right and lose, win and not get everything right thats football. 

Almost everyone would tell you Bednerak and Moi should not be near the first team or do you want to argue that. If charley would have played instead of Moi i can think of a couple of times in the second half im pretty sure he would have created a guilt edge chance or better that Moi just basically passed back to Chelsea.

I'm not saying Ruben shouldn't be given a chance just that so many calling for it to be a done deal after one great result is an over reaction and i tried to give a balanced opinion that didn't come across as being negative as i have been very negative to this club for quite a while (with good reason) and i dont like being that way.

As for what i want to see, i want to see a manager that doesn't make the same mistakes we have been moaning about for a few years, the same mistakes, you can get away with them once or twice but not for a whole season so rather than jump in with both feet on just adrenaline let enjoy a great result, move on to Leeds with great hope, support the lads and hope that we have stumbled on a winning formula. Then this forum can get back to what it does best, discussing the pros and cons of masturbating domestic pets. 

• Like 1

It never bothers me when I see Elyounoussi in the side in games like this, in fact, I actually picked him to start before the game. It’s when he’s playing in a front 3 at home which is the problem because his final pass, or creativity lets him down massively. He’s our best “defensive” winger we have, and got no problem when he plays in games like this. I just think if he plays, you probably need 3 other more attacking players than him in the side too. 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, kelkel31 said:

Chelsea were poor - fact . They still had us on edge for a long period and we only survived with great desire and last ditch defending which was great to finally see. You can get everything right and lose, win and not get everything right thats football. 

Almost everyone would tell you Bednerak and Moi should not be near the first team or do you want to argue that. If charley would have played instead of Moi i can think of a couple of times in the second half im pretty sure he would have created a guilt edge chance or better that Moi just basically passed back to Chelsea.

I'm not saying Ruben shouldn't be given a chance just that so many calling for it to be a done deal after one great result is an over reaction and i tried to give a balanced opinion that didn't come across as being negative as i have been very negative to this club for quite a while (with good reason) and i dont like being that way.

As for what i want to see, i want to see a manager that doesn't make the same mistakes we have been moaning about for a few years, the same mistakes, you can get away with them once or twice but not for a whole season so rather than jump in with both feet on just adrenaline let enjoy a great result, move on to Leeds with great hope, support the lads and hope that we have stumbled on a winning formula. Then this forum can get back to what it does best, discussing the pros and cons of masturbating domestic pets. 

But Bednarek and AMN both had good games yesterday 

Moi’s workrate is needed in the 10 but can agree perhaps Charly can work there. It feels like he has the attributes but we’ll need to see

Ralphs and so Selles’ tactics yesterday were what we at a club are best at, we’ve looked at our worst when we attempt to deviate from them, our main issue under Ralph was being overstretched and tired and so caught on the counter - Squad depth and 5 subs will help here.. and also converting chances, we still need to improve here but lets see what Sulemana and Onuachu can do

We can criticise things that are there to be critiqued and pre match I was sceptical of AMN and Bednarek but there performance yesterday justified their inclusions

Selles is what we have, outside of him Marsch was the best name but for whatever reason he didn’t fancy the project, I have no doubt Wilder, Gerrard, Lampard would take us backwards

• Like 1

He picked his best team. Not our best team, his best team, not the best 11 players  the best team, and they won, and he's been a breath of fresh air compared to the last manager. I said his main advantage was that he knew the players but could he inspire them? and he has.

Yes I'm  getting carried away by one result and it could all collapse next week at Leeds , but seeing the precarious position we are in do we need more disruption? Isn't our best bet to stick with him?

We almost have nothing to lose.

• Like 7

I like that we are seeing a consensus that Selles is great on exactly the same time scale that would have been written off as a "typical knee jerk impatient" reaction if we had lost yesterday and anyone said that he was shit.

Well done everyone 👏 👍 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I like that we are seeing a consensus that Selles is great on exactly the same time scale that would have been written off as a "typical knee jerk impatient" reaction if we had lost yesterday and anyone said that he was shit.

Well done everyone 👏 👍 

I wouldn't say he's great (yet). I'd say he has communicated well, the players put in a shift for him and I enjoyed watching Saints yesterday. After the Nathan Jones induced fever dream of the last three months that feels like having Pep in charge. From what I've heard from Selles I want him to do well beyond the usual wanting any Saints manager to do well simply because he's positive, articulate and excited about the opportunity in front of him.

But, Leeds is next weekend. We are Saints and it can all turn to shit in a heartbeat. Nice to dream though.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Well done everyone 👏 👍 

I think he’s great because he isnt Jones. Just like how I hated Dani Osvaldo because he wasn’t Ricky Lambert

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, coalman said:

I wouldn't say he's great (yet). I'd say he has communicated well, the players put in a shift for him and I enjoyed watching Saints yesterday. After the Nathan Jones induced fever dream of the last three months that feels like having Pep in charge. From what I've heard from Selles I want him to do well beyond the usual wanting any Saints manager to do well simply because he's positive, articulate and excited about the opportunity in front of him.

But, Leeds is next weekend. We are Saints and it can all turn to shit in a heartbeat. Nice to dream though.

100% - look im on board, he's coming across well, the subs worked and the players are playing for him. 

Got to beat Leeds though.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Christophenburg said:

Selles had only a couple of days to sort out Jones' mess in time for Saturday and was almost bound to rely on a group that were at least match fit and had played together recently. He also wanted older heads in there to help keep things together when the inevitable counter pressure came. Many subs were needed because of lack of match fitness of new arrivals. 

Setting aside one's own prejudices can help better understanding.

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Like 1

Selles said in the pre match that he hasn’t had much time to completely change everything. Going back to 4222 I was not surprised to see two players start in the 10’s who had played that role under Ralph.

Hoping that with a bit more time Charly will be replacing Moi in the 10 position.

1 hour ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Id of said a lot of this is quite biased imo

Bednarek has been pretty awful certainly since he came back, but his performance yesterday was excellent and his stats back up what I saw on the pitch

As for Ely, egg is spot on, I agree he isn’t good enough from an attacking perspective but he offers tactical consistency, tracking back and covers really well for Perraud who’s main issue is he is naturally an attack first FB, if we are to continue with a 4222 then to replace him we’d need someone comfortable on the ball and able to cover back.. Edozie isn’t that man, Arma maybe but his ball retention is awful and perhaps Aribo but he doesn’t work hard enough

AMN was excellent too, agree KWP is better overall but he’s had a poor season too imo

On KWP there, I was going to reply to Aust to say I think we’d actually have been weaker defensively with KWP over AMN.

Don’t get me wrong, I love KWP, but yesterday was always going to be about soaking up pressure, holding up the ball, waiting for the moment and making it count. AMN was superb in nearly everything he done yesterday and a lot of what made it so good KWP just doesn’t have in his locker and wouldn’t have suited how we wanted to set out.

Leeds is a totally different ball game. KWP straight in for me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Neef said:

Moi plays - especially in these games - because he's one of our only attackers who has the ability to receive the ball in tight spaces without losing it. He's a frustrating player, especially with his final ball. But having somebody comfortable and calm enough to receive and recycle the ball in the middle/final 3rd in a game where you know possession is going to be scarce is vital.

Moi is, for me, an away match selection mainly for the reasons you have just listed.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ruben Selles