Ruben Selles

Dusic

5 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

He's got the Chelsea game as we couldn't get a decent manager in beforehand, who knows what happens after.

I think it will largely depend on how we perform against Chelsea. Win, lose or draw if there are signs of improvement and a pattern/shape to our play the owners might not be so desperate to get someone in. However, if we are dire then they will be forced to act.

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Ths is all I've seen, possibly the latest.

As whoever does the Saintsextra twitter is too rude to properly credit their source. It's badly paraphrased from this article.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11700/12812370/ruben-selles-southampton-would-be-happy-for-spaniard-to-take-on-managerial-role-until-end-of-season

Edited by Nolan
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nolan said:

As whoever does the Saintsextra twitter is too rude to properly credit their source. It's badly paraphrased from this article.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11700/12812370/ruben-selles-southampton-would-be-happy-for-spaniard-to-take-on-managerial-role-until-end-of-season

To be honest it’s like the SaintsUpdates one or whatever it’s called.

It’s a bit of a sham account to be honest. Got called out for making up rumours. 😅

After Saturday looking forward to a defensive Rueben logging onto here under an assumed name along with family and friends, calling out the rest of the posters as loco and tonto. Look out for  ‘I’m a Saints fan, churro magnate, who has lived in Valencia / Hedge End for 25 or 35 years’ that type of thing. Standard 😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 10
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Miltonaggro said:

After Saturday looking forward to a defensive Rueben logging onto here under an assumed name along with family and friends, calling out the rest of the posters as loco and tonto. Look out for  ‘I’m a Saints fan, churro magnate, who has lived in Valencia / Hedge End for 25 or 35 years’ that type of thing. Standard 😀

Funny how they disappeared as soon as the prick was pumped hey! 😂

• Haha 1

Results are what matters, especially in these last 16 games. However he's presented himself as a very honest, intelligent man in that first press conference. I like that he has stated he wants the job instead of doing the usual 'I don't want to comment as its not my decision'. If the players like him as much as people think then they'll play their socks off for him. A positive result this weekend followed up by a win at Leeds and we could get some sort of run going. 

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

Well, he doesn’t come across like a complete and utter shitcunt, which is an improvement. 

yes he can talk the talk but can he walk the walk? must be remembered ralph took a laid back approach to coaching this season, so selles was the main one coaching them first half of the season (don’t know about during jones). let’s hope he has a new plan.

• Sad 1

Going just by press-conferences Selles holds himself up very well. 

Comparing to Jones, it’s night & day.. Selles goes into details, talks about opposition threats, shows passion for the situation he’s current in- builds the players and fan base up with confidence. All the things you want to hear from a manager going forward into the next game. 

Obviously that’s all great stuff, it’s the results on the pitch that matter, so let’s see if that can do more of the talking. But so far, so good. 

• Like 10

4 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

yes he can talk the talk but can he walk the walk? must be remembered ralph took a laid back approach to coaching this season, so selles was the main one coaching them first half of the season (don’t know about during jones). let’s hope he has a new plan.

Tbf, that wasn’t ’his’ team, he would have been taking instruction from the man in charge. Not that we’ve got time but he needs a couple of games to instil his identity on the side. All we can do for now is sit back and, hopefully, enjoy the ride.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, charliemiller said:

Interesting the coach he most Admired was Rafa then Ralph ..........Mad Nat wasnt in the list 

Very notable he mentioned numerous managers, including three mentions for Ralph in the first pre-curfew section alone, but didn’t once mention NJ.

Selles does deserve a few games grace before we start to judge him, to be fair. Very unlikely on the run we’re on that he is going to produce immediate fireworks. Although, we’ve been that bad that just subtle improvements will probably stand out like a sore thumb.

• Like 3

Look forward to seeing the press conference but sounds a bit more promising.

Obviously difficult to judge because we don't know what role he's had in decision making processes but as I understand it he was brought in as a defensive coach (or at least to concentrate on that primarily) and we haven't become better at defending, and to be in charge of set pieces where, again, we've not been any good.

I'm not writing him off but doesn't appear like he's really made much difference so far.  I guess now he's in charge completely we'll get to judge him properly. 

• Sad 1

I thought he spoke very well, he obviously has an excellent command of the English language. He comes across as very excited to be overseeing the squad for the Chelsea game and his answers were all measured and sensible. Let's see how he sets up, who he picks and how we play tomorrow. It's a tough opening fixture for him so signs of improvement and a clear identity of how he wants us to play will get him off to a good start so long as we don't get easily beaten. Good luck Reuben, hope you're our manager at the start of next season because it'll mean you've done well in our remaining fixtures.

• Like 7

Most recent press conferences have left me wanting to laugh, cry or vomit - sometimes all 3.

That was just … well, normal. How refreshing. How articulate. How calm. And yet you can sense an underlying determination there too.

Fingers crossed some of that transmits onto tomorrow’s performance 

• Like 6

All we ask as fans, is to give us a team that we can all rally behind. A team that plays with an intensity, has fighting spirit, is committed, is organised and is dynamic in how we attack in games.

For pretty much the past year, we've had a team devoid of all of the above things and its been desperate to watch and difficult to support.

I'm not expecting Selles to completely change our fortunes between now and the end of season (which he'll likely be given until), I'm expecting the occasional mistake as our squad is average and I still expect us to be relegated. But if Selles can get the team delivering on the above principles then the fans will give him/the team all the support we can muster and who knows where that could take.

"Ruben Selles Red and White Army"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, charliemiller said:

Interesting the coach he most Admired was Rafa then Ralph ..........Mad Nat wasnt in the list 

I don’t think anyone in the world would be inspired by Nathan Jones. 

I’d imagine even his own family blank him and sit on their phones over dinner. 

“Fuck me, is he still talking about Luton?”

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Miltonaggro said:

Also incredible how they emerge from whatever location or outpost we sign a player from. All with a remarkable command of English as well.

I was expecting one from the Welsh Valleys in November, calling himself Pontypandy Saint or similar. Didn’t happen he must have been on holiday without internet access. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Badger said:

Also incredible how they emerge from whatever location or outpost we sign a player from. All with a remarkable command of English as well.

I was expecting one from the Welsh Valleys in November, calling himself Pontypandy Saint or similar. Didn’t happen he must have been on holiday without internet access. 

Too busy with the PE teaching up to half term...

Obviously the proof is in the pudding in terms of results/performances, but must say I was very impressed by how he spoke. Calm, clear, ambitious, knowledegable. I can see why he's impressed the board and the players like him.

We'll see how it goes but I suddenly have the feeling that maybe he might be as good an option as anyone right now. Good luck Ruben.

• Like 3

It was a good presser but I was expecting that from the limited exposure I've had to him.

If his team selection and tactics are good tomorrow and that is reflected in an improved performance I think he should at least be given an extended run.

Personally, I'll know he's on it if Jammy B is not in the squad or even on the bench....

What an impressive press conference. Wants us to have identity, and to be a unit. That's a start. The confidence is genuine, this isn't a bloke phased by what he's stepped into. He wants it and feels capable, but without the misplaced arrogance that Jones had. 

I was dreading tomorrow. I'm not now. 

• Like 2

One advantage is that he can hit the ground running.  He knows the players, knows their strengths. 

"Ralph with his high pressure all-in mentality..."  Thought that was interesting, kind of distanced himself from that strategy.  Looking to put his own stamp on the team.  Good.  

• Like 1

He's obviously a very smart bloke and I wish him well. 

It's still a massive gamble, if Rupert Lowe was still in charge the fans would be going nuts!

They promised NJ time with the "new weapons" at the fans' forum and they gave him one game.

So forgive me for the lack of trust in what they are doing, because it feels very much like they are totally winging it.

• Like 2

Well, time will tell. If he can galvanise the players then there’s not really much wrong with giving him the rest of the season, but we’ll have to wait and see what the player response tomorrow is.  He’s obviously a confident man and it seems like he can get ideas across. We obviously all hope he can have an instant impact on performance and if he can sneak some sort of result then wonderful.

I still think that, having been part of the coaching makeup since the start of the season, he must be somewhat culpable for that. So, a well polished press conference doesn’t yet provide me with a huge amount optimism. Nathan Jones set the bar so low that this seems like a step up already, but it’s just a press conference and we’ll get an actual idea of where we are around this time tomorrow. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, davefizzy14 said:

Very impressed with what he had to say in part one of the press conference. The one big advantage he has is that he already knows the players. Hoping for a positive result tomorrow.

Having a successor to the Clown who can actually speak sensibly and with optimism is a good start. We must get behind him and the team. there ins still hope

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Super_Uwe said:

He's obviously a very smart bloke and I wish him well. 

It's still a massive gamble, if Rupert Lowe was still in charge the fans would be going nuts!

They promised NJ time with the "new weapons" at the fans' forum and they gave him one game.

So forgive me for the lack of trust in what they are doing, because it feels very much like they are totally winging it.

I think the fact that Jones was a massive weapon, and utterly shite, prompted SR to act when they did and not dither any more. I'm still not sure if they're complacent, too loyal, slow to act, or just incompetent. 

Well, that was a much better press conference. Calm, collected, considered, and English is not even his first language.

Wanted to talk about the club and the way forward, rather than "listen, I was the best manager in the history of Luton, I was the best in Europe I was, best this, best that, you're lucky to have me here, me, me, me"

I really hope the players perform for him, and he is successful.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Nolan said:

For some reason that junk SaintsExtra feed eats up my Twitter timeline even though I don’t follow it.

2 hours ago, Osvaldorama said:

I don’t think anyone in the world would be inspired by Nathan Jones. 

I’d imagine even his own family blank him and sit on their phones over dinner. 

“Fuck me, is he still talking about Luton?”

There’s not a chance NJ has kids. You cannot have kids and still be that self-obsessed.

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ruben Selles