Ruben Selles

Dusic

16 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

Sadly, we need two more heavy defeats to ensure he doesn't stay. 

Reminds of Stuart Gray winning two dead matches at the end of the season and Rupert Lowe confirming him as the manager of the basis of that….

• Like 3

The fact remains, neither Jones or Selles should habe been taken on. Jones may have got a few more points than Selles, or not. It doesn't matter. That prick Rasmus gambled our Prem league status by not going for a solid choice. The fans could see the appointment of Jones was a mistake as soon as it was announced. On the whole, most were willing to give him a chance as he had the winter break to work with 99% of the squad and it was thought that he would be able to imprint his style of play on the team in what was tantamount to a pre-season but he let the team go on a holiday for a number of weeks (apparently) and it was abundantly clear his style of play was hoof ball when we returned from the winter break. Those who weren't excited but willing to give him a chance, myself included, quickly worked out this was going to be a shit show.

Appointing the player's friend, the nice guy who everyone ay the club loves was also a wrong move. They needed a nasty bastard to come in and scream at the bunch of lazy chunts we have in our squad, throw some tea cups at them and make them scared of being relegated to the youth team if they don't put a shift in every game but Rasmus went with everyone's friend so the players knew it was "continue as normal" and the mediocrity we had endured from the players for the past year was allowed to continue.

SR need to fuck off Rasmus for the mistakes his arrogance has cost us this season.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, sambosa75 said:

They showed more fight, grit and urgency in their game today than we have in 36 games combined this season.

Certainly no way he'd have stood for our bunch of wimps drifting through the game like today, players have had it far far too easy. 

• Like 3

Absolutely clear that he's a coach and a not a manager.  Once again today baffling tactics displayed. To me it looked like we were set up to counter attack at home, seriously why? Left horribly exposed down either flank once again. Not good enough.

Edited by davefizzy14
  • Like 3

I actually hope we don't lose Selles, but can't see him dropping back to being an assistant. I still think as i said at the time he was appointed that he needed a good assistant alongside him, but nothing happened. When Jones was pushed (rightly) we lost 3 members of staff and they were not replaced. OK, so none of them were any use, but they still had a job to do and those jobs were not done. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2

15 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

I actually hope we don't lose Selles, but can't see him dropping back to being an assistant. I still think as i said at the time he was appointed that he needed a good assistant alongside him, but nothing happened. When Jones was pushed (rightly) we lost 3 members of staff and they were not replaced. OK, so none of them were any use, but they still had a job to do and those jobs were not done. 

He needs to go, no room for sentiment, he has failed abysmally, as a coach and manager.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Everyone entitled to own opinions, but can I just ask why you would want him to stay ? 

Genuine question 

56 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Big Sam who is taking Leeds down. No thanks.

Behave, he's had 4 games, and no transfer window. He won the second half away at city in his first game, and drew with Newcastle in his second. Had Bamford buried the penalty, they'd have won.

He'd have kept us up imo. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, egg said:

Behave, he's had 4 games, and no transfer window. He won the second half away at city in his first game, and drew with Newcastle in his second. Had Bamford buried the penalty, they'd have won.

Last time we played each of the current top 4:

We beat Arsenal in the first half and drew after 90.

We almost drew with City in the first half.

We drew with United after 90.

We beat City in the first half. 

Selles is actually pretty successful to be fair. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 3

17 minutes ago, jawillwill said:

I'm not on the mood for stupidity today mate. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jawillwill said:

If you call than success I would hate to see failure.

Oh. I just have.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, egg said:

They were non existent against City. 2-1 masks a pathetic weak display. If you want to the think there was some Allardyce magic in that game then God help you

23 minutes ago, whelk said:

They were non existent against City. 2-1 masks a pathetic weak display. If you want to the think there was some Allardyce magic in that game then God help you

I'm not sure what game you watched mate, but I saw a Leeds team work hard and win the second half away at city. They drew today against Newcastle. Allardyce has done more for them in two games than our Selles has in his reign. He'd have kept us up. 

• Like 3

RB didn't seem to learn. Was at Stamford Bridge when the players were all back slapping him for masterminding a win against an out of sorts team, but after that his tactics were the same every game even though we were losing every game. It was Ralph-ball without the press which made us sit in our own half with no ideas going forward. 

That said, surely the players should have had enough nous and experience to know what was wrong and change things. They've come across as a bunch that don't give a f*ck and that's what grates more than anything.

He needs to be the first to go. If you go into the championship with a mentality of must not lose rather than win you will get nowhere.

Last time we had Adkins, we will need another positive character next season.

We must get our mojo back ASAP otherwise we are toast.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

It’s all moot but..

Big Sam would have kept us up.

Dyche would still be talking on podcasts on how he would have kept Burnley up.

And if your granny had balls she'd be your grandad.

We were never appointing Big Sam so its pointless bringing it up

16 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

It was a topic of conversation on the thread…

Edited by Crab Lungs

22 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Why not though. It was clear, 4-5 weeks ago we needed a firefighter to stay up.

Big Sam was an obvious choice and one who’d have kept us up. 

As a club we seem to think we’re above managers like Bjg Sam etc. now look where we find ourselves 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dman said:

As a club we seem to think we’re above managers like Bjg Sam etc. now look where we find ourselves 

He never kept WBA up and he likely wont keep Leeds up. This firefighter title no longer applies.

But I do agree that we seem to think we're above managers like this - bitbsurprising as Big Sam likes his moneyball analytics just like Rasmus

8 minutes ago, Dman said:

Exactly, anyway I was more referencing the crossroads post-Jones, with more than four games left. With 10+ games Big Sam would have made a better first of it.

but fuck it, it’s done I guess.

4 hours ago, Paul Chuckle said:

I remember Glenn De La Caur on Total Saints Podcast calling for him to be given the job until the end of the season when Jones was there. He seems to never mention that anymore 

He did last week, and even said then it was premature and how hindsight is a wonderful thing. The wind against Chelsea and Leicester were huge at the time - but in hindsight they’ve both played shit ever since so it’s hardly a big deal now.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Not to be a pedant, but females having balls and vice versa is a relatively modern phenomenon. It didn’t happen back then. 

2 hours ago, Cabrone said:

He needs to be the first to go. If you go into the championship with a mentality of must not lose rather than win you will get nowhere.

To get second place in the Championship over the last 10 years, you need on average 90 (89.6) points. Along the way an average 73 (73.4) goals is required, and an average goal difference of +34 (34.3)

Projecting Selles’ performance across a Premier league season would see not even get half of the average goals required. His goals against (considering he was brought in to help Ralph improve defensively, hasn’t really worked either)

With the same players, we should score more at a lower level. But would we score over double what we’re scoring now?

Selles’ has been unable or unwilling to alter glaring flaws in his tactics and team selection.

Additionally, our tactic of being compact, hoping our opponent doesn’t finish the chances we’re going to give them, and hope it falls for us centrally for a break, is miles away from the teams that dominate and get promoted from that division. Our other tactic of overcommitting with no output, only to get picked off, doesn’t bear thinking about.

I’ve seen absolutely nothing to suggest he’s the guy to get us promoted. That’s even taking into account that he’s dealing with some dreadful recruitment/ transfer policy decisions from above that blighted his predecessors.

Even if we actually learn from the numerous recruitment mistakes, I couldn’t see him setting out a team to win enough points for us to go back up.

If he comes out and says “thankfully, we can recruit the players *I* want over the summer, to get away from the rubbish we’ve had to serve up,” then I’ll have another think.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

.... has been given the good news apparently

The club wants to place on record its thanks to Rubén for taking on the managerial position at a difficult time for the club and for giving his all as we attempted to stay in the Premier League.

Rubén will take charge of the team for the final game against Liverpool on Sunday at St Mary’s. We wish him all the best for his future career. 

Edited by Toussaint

2 minutes ago, tdmickey3 said:

I think we should dedicate the remainder of this thread to acknowledge the influence his tenure had on the successes of this club...

Can’t think of a single positive. Utterly, utterly clueless.

I can’t believe how tactically wrong he got every game except Chelsea. 

• Like 2

When you've got forwards that can't score and defenders that can't defend any tactics are problematic. Everyone thought we were down long before he was appointed manager so whilst no one can claim he was a success, his role in our demise was minimal.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

It amuses me that he has basically tried to copy Guardiolas tactics but using incredibily shit players.

It's like he learned to manage by watching the Mighty Ducks films.

A team of no hopers take on a rookie coach, using a playbook of some champions..... 

Two good bits of news this week at least with him and semmens going ..

selles probably takes the award for most depressing illogical team selections I’ve ever witnessed ..absolutely crazy to leave him in charge for that relegation battle..we went down with no fight whatsoever 

People used to rip every word jones said apart but man selles has got off lightly then .. talking about keep fighting and how we have proved we can compete .. you what ?? We haven’t even looked like winning 

• Like 4

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ruben Selles