Ruben Selles

Dusic

8 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

Selles will become in time an excellent manager. 

Even if you're right (which I personally doubt) you'd be hard pushed to say his first foray into senior management was in any way a success.  So why should he walk straight into another role when there are so many other candidates out there?  I could understand him being appointed as an assistant again & then eventually graduating to the managers role, but straight into the top job I just don't think is justified 

• Like 2

I'd not be surprised to see him do very well at an interview, with his data analytics, porjects, focus on yout development, and defensive press. Some interview clips and the game where premier league players cheered that he wasn't Nathan. How it goes form there is anyone's guess. That's not jsut to do with him, but every club has so many variables. He was consistent here, so it's a case of being given enough time for those tactics to work, and hope he has the squad for it. He could do well, vanish into obscurity or bounce around a few clubs across a number of leagues. Time will tell.

3 hours ago, Saintscummer said:

Why three ? 

I know he trashed Frannies house which he was renting. Then he banned him from the ground. 

I'd not mind someone at the club who could set standards, and have the drive. that would not only get us back up, but make us stay and push on. With the model of making it clear we're a stepping stone, rahter than a destination, that might take longer or need to get players in who don;t just look to the future, not reason why it can't be done.

Getting that person, without them being a world class bellend seems to be a harder thing to achieve though.

• Like 1

I do wish him well despite his failings with us. He did give fans some hope we’d not felt for a long time with the win over Chelsea. Just a shame the good performances were overshadowed by terrible ones. He was out of his depth as a Premier League boss. Hopefully this will be a good start for his career.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Maggie May said:

I do wish him well despite his failings with us. He did give fans some hope we’d not felt for a long time with the win over Chelsea. Just a shame the good performances were overshadowed by terrible ones. He was out of his depth as a Premier League boss. Hopefully this will be a good start for his career.

As it turned out every fucker beat Chelsea so it wasn’t the good result most thought at the time . 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Wish him good luck and could be a good move for him, although aren't they in all sorts of financial problems?

Yes. Reading supporting friend towards the end of last season commented that things were down to the owners and wished they’d fuck off. Could have been describing us.

I too hope it works out for Selles.

But text from same Reading fan today saying ‘we do seem to like a Saints reject, personally would have preferred Nathan Jones’. 

11 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Wish him good luck and could be a good move for him, although aren't they in all sorts of financial problems?

Think they do, they have only been allowed free transfers for a while and still got deducted points last season for not complying with football league imposed finance plan 

Reading have a registration embargo. They can only sign loans or free agents up the point that they have 23 players of "professional standing" (whatever that means). They cannot pay loan fees, and loans can only be for half a season.

They're in breach of profit and sustainability rules; non-payment of loan wages; non-payment of PAYE to HMRC.

In short: an absolute shit show.

Edited by qwertyell
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, qwertyell said:

Reading have a registration embargo. They can only sign loans or free agents up the point that they have 23 players of "professional standing" (whatever that means). They cannot pay loan fees, and loans can only be for half a season.

They're in breach of profit and sustainability rules; non-payment of loan wages; non-payment of PAYE to HMRC.

In short: an absolute shit show.

Good fit for a shit show of a “manager” then?

• Sad 1

see many saints fans review of selles as “top coach, manager unsure”. What is this top coach based on. We were terrible at the end of the season prior to his joining, but have we not been considerably worse since he joined as a coach?

The only thing I can see is the players liked him, which with their shitty attitudes isn’t a good thing. Terrible manager, can’t be a good coach based off the end product.

Sorry for bringing this up again but had to say it again as reading fans seem to believe the same nonsensical myth as some of us do.  

Edited by SotonianWill
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

But isn’t a performing team a sign of a good coach?

If Guardiola was put in charge of Morecombe, and they failed to beat Chelsea, would Guardiola become a bad coach?

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Nolan said:

If Guardiola was put in charge of Morecombe, and they failed to beat Chelsea, would Guardiola become a bad coach?

False Equivalence.

But if Guardiola were put in charge of Morecombe and they didn’t improve then he would have become a bad coach.

Reading FC have announced that recently departed Southampton manager Rubén Sellés is set to sign a contract and become the first-team manager of the Royals. 
His appointment is subject to the club’s successful application for a work visa, which was submitted at the end of last week.

Meanwhile Reading have been issued a winding-up petition by HMRC, the latest in a long line of financial issues, they are already on the EFL Embargo Service for paying wages late in three separate months last season in which the club have until Thursday to respond.

Facing the prospect of another season unable to spend money on players, and with only 13 registered first-team players on the books you would think Rubén is hoping he's work visa gets knocked back 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JRM said:

Reading FC have announced that recently departed Southampton manager Rubén Sellés is set to sign a contract and become the first-team manager of the Royals. 
His appointment is subject to the club’s successful application for a work visa, which was submitted at the end of last week.

Meanwhile Reading have been issued a winding-up petition by HMRC, the latest in a long line of financial issues, they are already on the EFL Embargo Service for paying wages late in three separate months last season in which the club have until Thursday to respond.

Facing the prospect of another season unable to spend money on players, and with only 13 registered first-team players on the books you would think Rubén is hoping he's work visa gets knocked back 

Could be worth a fiver for them to get relegated again.

3 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Seems like a good bloke. Was crap for us though. Maybe league one will be his level and give him a chance with more of a blank slate. He will get abuse at fratton for sure. 

Had the pleasure of meeting him a few times. He's a top bloke - Wasn't the right fit for us at this time and personally I think he rushed into taking the job. 

From the chats I had with him, he seemed to genuinely like the club and wanted to stay on (probably no surprise he wanted to stay on). 

I fear Reading will also be a bad move for him and again, rushing into taking a job. They seem a bit of a basket case of a club at the minute.  

• Like 3

Seems like a good bloke. Was crap for us though. Maybe league one will be his level and give him a chance with more of a blank slate. He will get abuse at fratton for sure. 

He should get a hero’s reception for relegating us.

• Like 2

that game is in February. He won't last till then.

• Like 1

Ive been away for a few weeks but I absolutely wouldn’t be surprised to see him do well at Reading

He is imo, and from what I hear a very likeable and talented young coach, unfortunately this job was just too much for him and he was too friendly with the players

Given a chance somewhere like Reading he could do well, depending on the level of expectation there of course… he clearly needs to work on his management but overall I think there could be a good manager in there in a few years

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My biggest concern over his ability was his reliance on stats etc.. his laptop never left his side and if the theory said to make a sub on 60mins then that's what he did irrespective of the flow of the game !

A good technical coach, probably. A manager probably not...

21 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Ive been away for a few weeks but I absolutely wouldn’t be surprised to see him do well at Reading

He is imo, and from what I hear a very likeable and talented young coach, unfortunately this job was just too much for him and he was too friendly with the players

Given a chance somewhere like Reading he could do well, depending on the level of expectation there of course… he clearly needs to work on his management but overall I think there could be a good manager in there in a few years

He wasnt very friendly with Edozie, Sulemana, Mara, Djenepo etc - i.e. any flair attacking player effectively being frozen out. Sulemana should've started every game, not sure why the others were barely seen

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Whatever gave you the impression that he’s a talented coach?

I feel sorry for Reading tbh,  not just the financial difficulties but being saddled with this cretin as a manager. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Osvaldorama said:

Whatever gave you the impression that he’s a talented coach?

I feel sorry for Reading tbh,  not just the financial difficulties but being saddled with this cretin as a manager. 

Because he is a good coach, its his transition into management thats been the issue 

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Because he is a good coach, its his transition into management thats been the issue 

What is that opinion based on though? I'm not saying you're wrong, but the one season he was at Saints we were an absolute disjointed mess.  

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

What is that opinion based on though? I'm not saying you're wrong, but the one season he was at Saints we were an absolute disjointed mess.  

Yep - Saints were utter wank all season and Selles was one of the few coaching constants. Anyone whose "Plan B" was to bring Mara and A.Armstrong on as a double substitution every single week regardless of the opposition or score line is clearly a massive fraud. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Saint_Jonny said:

Yep - Saints were utter wank all season and Selles was one of the few coaching constants. Anyone whose "Plan B" was to bring Mara and A.Armstrong on as a double substitution every single week regardless of the opposition or score line is clearly a massive fraud. 

The Newcastle subs got me. 1-1 after 1-0 up because Selles apparently told the team to sit back for the entirety of the second half. 70th minute comes and he brings on Elyounoussi, A. Armstrong and Maitland-Niles in a triple sub. 10 minutes later and we're 3-1 down.

• Haha 2

On 03/07/2023 at 10:34, disconnect said:

He wasnt very friendly with Edozie, Sulemana, Mara, Djenepo etc - i.e. any flair attacking player effectively being frozen out. Sulemana should've started every game, not sure why the others were barely seen

I’m with you .. nothing good about him whatsoever  wasted all our work in January for him to just ignore practically all of the January signings bar Alcaraz .. we needed wins and his team selections were disgusting .. just brought back all the players that were proven not to be good enough in a super conservative shit version of Ralph style.. no fresh ideas whatsoever 

• Like 5

On 03/07/2023 at 10:34, disconnect said:

I feel quite sorry for Djenepo in particular. He started the season under Ralph quite well and then was basically binned. 

• Like 4

On 03/07/2023 at 16:09, Smirking_Saint said:

He might be a decent coach on the training ground (i.e sticking out cones, putting on drills & sessions), he's a decent bloke so the players liked him, but what Ralph needed was someone to bounce idea's off. Being tactically astute to support him and be his right hand man. 

Selles isn't that and I don't think he will be. 

It was noticeable how isolated Ralph looked on the sideline after Rohl departed. It looked like he didn't trust any of the the coaches given to him, which probably lead to his downfall. 

• Like 2