Saints 3-3 Spurs - Match Thread

whelk

it looked like selles was telling ward prowse do to the huddle thing after the goal. Not sure the players were so interested as it lasted about 5 seconds. I don’t mind it though and if selles is trying different things and focusing on the psychological advantages. We know most our players are shot of confidence and used to being screamed at by their own teammates and fans. If we can be more like klopp’s mental monsters that could make up for the deficiencies we have elsewhere, and these come backs and strong performances seem to show that. 

39 minutes ago, tpv01 said:

it looked like selles was telling ward prowse do to the huddle thing after the goal. Not sure the players were so interested as it lasted about 5 seconds. I don’t mind it though and if selles is trying different things and focusing on the psychological advantages. We know most our players are shot of confidence and used to being screamed at by their own teammates and fans. If we can be more like klopp’s mental monsters that could make up for the deficiencies we have elsewhere, and these come backs and strong performances seem to show that. 

It looked to me like it was WP's own initiative, realising at 3-1 down that we could collapse and be humiliated he got his team together and gave them a pep talk. Whatever, it worked wonders. It's what you should expect from your captain.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Brissysaint said:

“Saints have only scored one goal from a corner when they have the best corner taker in the league”

he’s fucking not though, he’s never been good at corners and I’m fairly certain our goal ratio from corners has always been low since he’s been on them.

I remember some time ago we had Redmond taking the corners for a game or two.  Seemed more dangerous perhaps only because of their unpredictability.  Good that Selles is trying something different at least.  Been some time coming...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Manuel said:

I remember some time ago we had Redmond taking the corners for a game or two.  Seemed more dangerous perhaps only because of their unpredictability.  Good that Selles is trying something different at least.  Been some time coming...

As I recall, it was during the 3 games that JWP was out suspended last season. We actually scored (Livramento header) from one against Burnley. We certainly need to mix it up with our corner taking, as something isn't working at the moment (and hasn't for a while now). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

It looked to me like it was WP's own initiative, realising at 3-1 down that we could collapse and be humiliated he got his team together and gave them a pep talk. Whatever, it worked wonders. It's what you should expect from your captain.

Am sat close to Selles.  He shouted to JWP, motioned a circle waving his arm around and that prompted the huddle.

Edited by Forester
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

Interesting stat today  out of the 15 players signed across the last two windows, only two started today.

We were talking about that after the game, terrible indictment on the recruitment department 

• Like 3

On 18/03/2023 at 16:46, Dman said:

I must have missed those. FF was easily our best keeper, by some distance. 

thats what happens when you are so down on a player

Top Fives: McCarthy's saves | Southampton FC 

Not saying he is necessarily better than Forster, although both are imperfect, but dont brush out history that he has made some incredible saves in vital matches

Edited by OldNick
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Forester said:

Am sat close to Selles.  He shouted to JWP, motioned a circle waving his arm around and that prompted the huddle.

In todays Athletic Selles said they borrowed it from Bodo/Glimt in Norway who do it after every goal - conceded or scored to talk and help players focus.

• Like 1

On 20/03/2023 at 08:44, Convict Colony said:

In todays Athletic Selles said they borrowed it from Bodo/Glimt in Norway who do it after every goal - conceded or scored to talk and help players focus.

reminds me of tyro league days. every time a goal is conceded “0-0 lads” even when you’re losing by about 10

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 3-3 Spurs - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic

Absolutely brilliant comeback from us :) the whole team was great. Special mentions to Che, Theo and Prowsey (penalty was top draw) for the goals :) Also AMN for filling in at centre back and doing such a good job :) Theo my MOTM, class performance from him :)

Edited by davefizzy14

2 hours ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

Happy to take the point, although it seems mental that such soft penalties can get awarded. The ref had a good view so there must have been 'sufficient' contact, but I would have been fuming had it been the other way round.

There doesn’t have to be any contact for it to be a foul. The wording is “kicks or attempts to kick” and similar. Having said that, this incident didn’t seem too bad.