Saints 0-2 Palace - Match Thread

SotonianWill

3 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

n the school get the ball to him, as you knew he would get it to Richard in the middle and he had a right foot like a hammer.

Driving home after the game, listening to Solent and they interviewed Theo, as he was going through his ramblings on the game he uttered something along the lines of "I wouldn't know about that, we leave that to the manager"!! I thought I can't believe a casual musing to a fellow supporter at the game has been pretty much answered by a senior player with years under his belt.

I might be doing Theo a disservice, but he doesn't strike me as a great reader of a game. Perhaps it's not as easy to show that as a forward player, but I never felt he was a guy that sees things (runs, other players, the right pass etc.) on the pitch, like some.

4 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

Driving home after the game, listening to Solent and they interviewed Theo, as he was going through his ramblings on the game he uttered something along the lines of "I wouldn't know about that, we leave that to the manager"!! I thought I can't believe a casual musing to a fellow supporter at the game has been pretty much answered by a senior player with years under his belt.

Are you sure you aren’t misquoting Theo. In the interview I heard He was asked a pretty horrid question about why we didn’t play a striker and he batted it back saying you’d be better off asking the manager. To me that’s fair enough as if he was honest he’d probably be dropped for criticizing the idiot selles.

2 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

Are you sure you aren’t misquoting Theo. In the interview I heard He was asked a pretty horrid question about why we didn’t play a striker and he batted it back saying you’d be better off asking the manager. To me that’s fair enough as if he was honest he’d probably be dropped for criticizing the idiot selles.

I did cover my arse with the proceeding caveat of “along the lines of” - still doesn’t let him off the hook for not taking A leadership role as a senior pro 

4 hours ago, Chez said:

I might be doing Theo a disservice, but he doesn't strike me as a great reader of a game. Perhaps it's not as easy to show that as a forward player, but I never felt he was a guy that sees things (runs, other players, the right pass etc.) on the pitch, like some.

He’s offside as much as Papa Waigo was.

11 hours ago, Osvaldorama said:

Theo can’t shoot. Or cross. apart from that I actually think he’s played Ok recently, but shouldn’t be starting to be honest. 

He’s a big downgrade on Nathan Redmond so fuck knows what the club were thinking tbh 

It's quite an incredible situation really, we've gone from shifting on Redmond, Long etc in the vision of upgrading the squad, yet in April we are starting with Theo Walcott as a striker.

Failures all round.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It's quite an incredible situation really, we've gone from shifting on Redmond, Long etc in the vision of upgrading the squad, yet in April we are starting with Theo Walcott as a striker.

Failures all round.

A front 3 of Silly, Aribo and Theo...in a must win game 

Selles is something else

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, DT said:

I'm still fuming about this.

Even from when the players emerged onto the pitch, the body language was inexcusably relaxed. What on earth does Selles say to them? Then there was that infuriating thing where Bednarek and I think Bella K stand either side of the 'goalkeeper' and he pops it out to them slowly, they look up, and proceed to go walking pace along and back. 

You need to set the tone at the beginning of matches, and the mismatch of this as a tactic to our league position and generally the need to fire up the crowd should really result in the immediate sacking of Selles, who more and more looks to be the epicentre of our negative tactics, that came to the fore more in Ralph's latter years.

Then, when you add JWP's listless captaincy and lack of bite, as well as his lack of leadership qualities, fear of even shooting now, and the body language of someone already relishing meeting up with his fwend Forster at Spurs, you have the recipe for disaster. Walcott runs around like a Dad at his son's sports day, and that 'shot' was just atrocious. Barely league one standard.

Lavia, I thought, was superb. And he seems to care. Shame we don't stand a chance of seeing him next year.

Sulemana kept falling over. But at least he ran at players occasionally. When Stu came on I forgot we had him in the squad. Che obviously sulking somewhere, the bad egg. 

Aribo was better than I thought he'd be, but hasn't the pace for the Premier League.

KWP was alright, but still seems to be doing all he can to fight off the 'coaching you into shitness' that Saints have on the training ground, clearly. Alcaraz was okay.

Overall though, it felt like the death of a club, with 30 thousand disinterested people watching on. No guts, no fight, no talent, and we are in for a big shock when we struggle to stay in the Championship next year, not least with big clubs coming down too.

I was going to come to as many games as I can in the run-in, but after spending upwards of 200 quid to bring my kids to watch this utter shit I'm not going again until we have a bunch of players who actually care. Watched my son's team on Sunday, and it was a breath of fresh air seeing pace, intensity, determination, and fight rewarded with a 3-0 win. If Saints had an ounce of that instead of the deep fissure of discontent and ineptitude running through the club like letters through a stick of rock, then we might stand a chance of turning around this awful oil tanker of shit. Maybe back inside a decade?

Not sure.

Thats cheap all the way from Austria, which airline was it? I'll make sure i use them in future.

• Confused 1

I think Selles likes Theo because he isn't nasty to him and says yes a lot. Also, doesn't see through his sham, emperor's new clothes, 'manager' credentials.

What a farce. If we were really serious we should begin the rebuild for next season now, starting with a manager who doesn't just let the players fluff about in their comfort zone. No wonder they all wanted him in. They could just plan their holidays and next clubs in peace. Hate the lot of them. Complete mercenaries.

At least if they played the Perraud types we'd get some effort

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Thats cheap all the way from Austria, which airline was it? I'll make sure i use them in future.

From Brighton, where I've lived for 15 years. Check all my posts if you want to persist in this tiresome belief that everyone is as sad as you can be even bothered to change their identities on a message board, you deluded prick

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DT said:

I think Selles likes Theo because he isn't nasty to him and says yes a lot.

Managers don't select players because they are yes men. They pick them because the manager thinks they will do a job for them. He likes Theo because he works hard (which seems to be something you are keen on) and makes quite a lot of off ball runs on the shoulder of defenders (as HarvSFC said - usually into offside positions).

5 hours ago, DT said:

From Brighton, where I've lived for 15 years. Check all my posts if you want to persist in this tiresome belief that everyone is as sad as you can be even bothered to change their identities on a message board, you deluded prick

That is fair , there is no way could you be confused with Alpine as whilst you are totally wrong in the majority of your opinions, you have a good sense of humour and dont take yourself seriously