Saints 0-2 Palace - Match Thread

SotonianWill

Penny for peoples thoughts. I've just looked at the fixtures / league table again and deluded myself into thinking survival is still on the cards. Starting with Palarce at the weekend. All it takes is a striker to hit a bit of form (and play), a front footed approach, and some PEDs. Come on Saints wake up to keep us up FFS!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Palace will have their tails up. We will start not to concede and then the usual turn of events will start.

Second half yesterday, Palace ripped Leeds a new one, even without Zaha, who unless JWP gets into his head we struggle with. We absolutely have to come out and attack them from the first whistle, none of this sitting back shit. 

37 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

Penny for peoples thoughts. I've just looked at the fixtures / league table again and deluded myself into thinking survival is still on the cards. Starting with Palarce at the weekend. All it takes is a striker to hit a bit of form (and play), a front footed approach, and some PEDs. Come on Saints wake up to keep us up FFS!

Going from the same cycle every week!

Somehow now decided we could beat Palace, Forest, Fulham and Bournemouth after absolutely shitting the bed in every single must-win game we ever have to face.

I just do not trust any of these players to step up when it counts, and I also do not trust Selles to put the ones on the pitch who have the best chance to.

• Like 7

This really is the last game we must win to have any chance of putting a run together over a few matches 

still haven’t seen us win at home this season so at some point the luck must change 

KWP back at RB please and Perraud LB

AMN with Lavia if fit

JwP with Alcarez

KS with Adams hopefully if not Tall Paul time to let him loose 

• Like 4

Many daft saints fans will think we can/will win this.

Think about it, probably the worst team we could play against in the bottom half....A Roy Hodgson team who are very quick on the break.

Edited by AlexLaw76

13 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Many daft saints fans will think we can/will win this.

Think about it, probably the worst team we could play against in the bottom half....A Roy Hodgson team who are very quick on the break.

Is there something in your SaintsWeb registration terms and conditions that means you have to start every post by calling other fans stupid or slagging them off?

You could easily have left that first sentence out and just given your opinion.

In all likelihood we won't win, I just hope we give it a proper go.

• Like 21

It'll be nice to see us win a game or two before we wave goodbye to this league, you'd hope this is one we have a a small chance in.

I want to get to at least get to 30 points, so this is one we need to win. Palace will be dangerous on the break though, but as with Woy teams they will also be happy to sit in a low block and wait for the space. In all honesty one of the worst teams we can face, we don't have the creative intelligence to break down sitting teams and equally we don't have the pace to defend their powerful counters.

• Like 1

We absolutely have to win.

Sadly given our manager's tendency to think too much about how to stop the opponent (and failing) rather than setting us up to hurt them, we may struggle here.

Anything other than a win is a poor result. Let's attack, build up a decent lead, and then worry in the second half about keeping it tight.

Selles though will make things too confusing and will try to be clever with the team selection and fucking this up, I can sense it.

• Like 8

We need to get Tall Paul in, and get it in the mixer.

I’d also play Djneppo, he’s pony but he causes confusion. Admittedly, the person most confused is Djneppo himself, but he can’t be any worse than Armstrong or Moi. 

Play a right back at right back, and a left back at left back. 

Get Prowse further forward again. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

We need to get Tall Paul in, and get it in the mixer.

I’d also play Djneppo, he’s pony but he causes confusion. Admittedly, the person most confused is Djneppo himself, but he can’t be any worse than Armstrong or Moi. 

Play a right back at right back, and a left back at left back. 

Get Prowse further forward again. 

Absolutely in agreement with Djenepo. At the very least he may win us a couple of freekicks. He's only played 3 games really in 2023 and has a goal and an assist, both against Man City. That's the same amount of goal contributions than Elyounoussi has had all season.

I'd go with a 4-3-3 (we never do, but I think it gets our best players on the park).

Keeper (still not against dropping Baz)

KWP-ABK-Bednarek-Peraud

Lavia

JWP Alcarez

Djenepo- Tall paul or Che- Sulemana

Really important we get KWP getting forward. It will leave us a little bit exposed, but fuck it, we need to actually score and we don't have the talent to do it playing conservatively. 

I'm not going to even switch on if I see Moi in the starting lineup. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Second half yesterday, Palace ripped Leeds a new one, even without Zaha, who unless JWP gets into his head we struggle with. We absolutely have to come out and attack them from the first whistle, none of this sitting back shit. 

We'll be defensive in the first half - it's the Selles way.

Banzunu

kwp           Abk        Bednerak      Perraud 

Jwp              Lavia 

djenepo         Alcaraz           Sulemana 

Tall paul 

• Like 8

The manager isn't looking at the league table apparently. It seems he wants to carry on as we are with a defensive mindset where Saints get a moral victory of sorts despite once again losing by the odd goal. Just as long as Pep and his cohorts think we're in a false position eh?

We'll get more of the narrow sideways/backwards bollocks that got us into this position and will be lucky to scrape 30 points for the season.

The Saints Way ain't working. Let's try scoring some goals for a change.

• Like 5

Unless we are going to sack Selles and bring in a replacement before the weekend then we can fully expect the same dross as has been served up all season.

We know it’s a game where if we pick the correct XI and actually take the game to the opposition we can get something out of, instead It’ll likely be more crab football and no shots on targets. We might get lucky and they miss as many chances as Leicester did but the hammering of Leeds yesterday shows they’ve got a bit more about them with Woy in charge.

4 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

It'll be nice to see us win a game or two before we wave goodbye to this league, you'd hope this is one we have a a small chance in.

I want to get to at least get to 30 points, so this is one we need to win. Palace will be dangerous on the break though, but as with Woy teams they will also be happy to sit in a low block and wait for the space. In all honesty one of the worst teams we can face, we don't have the creative intelligence to break down sitting teams and equally we don't have the pace to defend their powerful counters.

It would be nice to win and then our hopes will go through the roof until the Bournemouth game...but this Palace team has been transformed.

Appreciate we need to go at them from the start but who with? Tall Paul can't do that. None of our other strikers can hit a barn door from 5 yards. Has to be the midfielders forcing a way through...so Alcaraz will star. 

Looking forward to this one, though with Zaha still injured, going to miss JWP's wind-ups. 

1 hour ago, Appy said:

Selles will play not to lose. 

We will lose. 

That’s exactly it.

Newcastle attacked West Ham and put 5 past them.

Palace attacked Leeds and put 5 past them.

We had a lame set up and never scored against both of them. So whatever Selles is doing is not working.

Please have a go!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pilchards said:

That’s exactly it.

Newcastle attacked West Ham and put 5 past them.

Palace attacked Leeds and put 5 past them.

We had a lame set up and never scored against both of them. So whatever Selles is doing is not working.

Please have a go!!

Exactly this. Our creativity in both games was non-existant.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chris cooper said:

Banzunu

kwp           Abk        Bednerak      Perraud 

Jwp              Lavia 

djenepo         Alcaraz           Sulemana 

Tall paul 

Yep, this for me. Tell Sulemana and Djenepo to get to the byline and get Alcaraz, Onuachu and the winger from the opposite side in the box for the crosses with JWP stood on the edge waiting for the second ball. Just go for it. 

• Like 5

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints vs Palace - Saturday 3pm

We’ve made a right balls up of almost every must win game against bottom half opposition all season. I see no reason why we’d change that now. 

Painful and frustrating 2-0 defeat where Palace don’t even have to be any good. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Yep, this for me. Tell Sulemana and Djenepo to get to the byline and get Alcaraz, Onuachu and the winger from the opposite side in the box for the crosses with JWP stood on the edge waiting for the second ball. Just go for it. 

Lavia sitting, with the centre backs and the full back from whichever side we're not attacking down sitting a little bit to try and restrict a counter. 

Simple really in terms of tactics, but still something we somehow haven't seen all season

As others have said, somehow we are still lucky enough to technically have a chance to move up the table especially as many of the teams around us have tough games. 

Unfortunately, we as fans are unlucky enough to support a side whose owners, manager and players are fecking clueless and are incapable of putting a side together that would struggle to beat a sunday league team despite the millions that they have spent. 

For that reason I am out and will not be investing my hopes in a Palace win. 

No chance. Palace will score in the first 20 mins, we will then spend the rest of the game passing the ball from one side of the pitch to the other while Palace avoid breaking into anything resembling a sweat.  RESULT 0-1. 

Selles will say he was really happy with the first 60 minutes. Not so much the last 30 when we conceded 3.

Fed up with this shit.

Make the season end, let JWP and all the other tossers bog off to their new clubs (they have already winked at), get a no-nonsense manager in and change the culture of the entire club from top to bottom, so we don't miraculously somehow turn decent talent into utter dross.

Not much to ask.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 0-2 Palace - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic