Saints 0-2 Palace - Match Thread

SotonianWill

At least Alcaraz and Sulemana are starting. No issues with Walcott either, he's been one of our most effective players recently. 

Aribo is just...odd. Maybe he's had an epiphany and will pull his finger out.

Why are people assuming Aribo is up top? I would have thought Walcott through the middle.

Edited by Saint_clark

1 minute ago, egg said:

Aribo is a bit random, but I guess he's playing up front where he'll be more mobile than tall Paul, and more physical than Mara. Selles has got to try something different I suppose. 

He's shown neither mobility or physicality in any games i've seen for us.

What I will say is he does seem to have an eye for goal when he has half a chance. 

• Like 2

It's Sulemana and Alcaraz up top, Walcott and aribo on the wing. 

3 minutes ago, egg said:

Aribo is a bit random, but I guess he's playing up front where he'll be more mobile than tall Paul, and more physical than Mara. Selles has got to try something different I suppose. 

4 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

FFS…Aribo alongside Walcott up top. This Manager must have been given instructions to relegate us. I can’t think of any other reason why that line up has been chosen…it’s embarrassing. We’ll lose all day long.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

He's shown neither mobility or physicality in any games i've seen for us.

What I will say is he does seem to have an eye for goal when he has half a chance. 

I think you're confusing mobility with being lazy. He's mobile in that he can make half decent runs, which is more than tall Paul can. He's more physical than the lightweight Mara. He offers more goal threat than both. 

2 minutes ago, egg said:

I think you're confusing mobility with being lazy. He's mobile in that he can make half decent runs, which is more than tall Paul can. He's more physical than the lightweight Mara. He offers more goal threat than both. 

I dunno just checked the stats.

He's played double the game time of mara and got 2 goals.

Maras got 1 goal 2 assists, would prefer mara as he has played some awesome passes (Leeds at home was juicy).

Also bit of an assumption to say he offers more goal threat that a bloke who was top scorer last season in the Belgium league and had 16 goals this season before coming to the assist making, free flowing team that is saints.

Just now, hypochondriac said:

How is that a bad lineup? Looks pretty good to me with some pace and a bit of trickery. Looks like aribo in place of Moi which is much better imo. 

Exactly...it's the best we've got, unless you'd really want tall Paul standing still up top. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Convict Colony said:

I dunno just checked the stats.

He's played double the game time of mara and got 2 goals.

Maras got 1 goal 2 assists, would prefer mara as he has played some awesome passes (Leeds at home was juicy).

Also bit of an assumption to say he offers more goal threat that a bloke who was top scorer last season in the Belgium league and had 16 goals this season before coming to the assist making, free flowing team that is saints.

Forget stats, and comparing the Belgian league with the PL. We need something different. This is the only different we've got, other than kids. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, egg said:

Exactly...it's the best we've got, unless you'd really want tall Paul standing still up top. 

We are rubbish whatever we do. Given the choice before this game I'd have been wanting to see Sulemana and Alcaraz playing in attacking roles and I've have wanted to see Moi not playing which is exactly what we've got. We will probably lose anyway but at least we are trying something a bit different instead of doing the same old thing and losing. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, egg said:

Forget stats, and comparing the Belgian league with the PL. We need something different. This is the only different we've got, other than kids. 

Yeah fair one let's hope Joe has been waiting to be unleashed, at least he is 💯 % more creative than Moi so it might give our guys a chance at an actual clear cut chance.

Obvs they will fuck it it up but YOLO.

4 minutes ago, egg said:

I don’t think it’s true that Aribo provides more attacking intent or pace than Djenepo or even Armstrong…he does a great job of making a statue look positively mobile!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, egg said:

How does Aribo's goalscoring record compare with Tall Paul's? I wonder if Selles knows the answser.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

If Nathan Jones was playing a must win game with no striker he’d be hounded out of the city.

Just saying.

Our team and squad selections this season have been ridiculous.

He'd play a striker if he had good ones. Playing tall Paul just because we have him doesn't make him good. 

Just now, Saint_clark said:

Really harsh on Djenepo and Mara, on reflection. 

Yep, great man management - do well, assist or score a goal…get dropped. It’s almost like anyone making progress gets hooked out - “can’t be getting too ahead ourselves can we lads”!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, saintant said:

How does Aribo's goalscoring record compare with Tall Paul's? I wonder if Selles knows the answser.

They were both flat track bullies in shit leagues mate. Apart from one header, tall Paul has offered zero goal threat. People can moan all they like that he ain't playing, but to me it's pretty obvious why he's not. 

1 minute ago, egg said:

They were both flat track bullies in shit leagues mate. Apart from one header, tall Paul has offered zero goal threat. People can moan all they like that he ain't playing, but to me it's pretty obvious why he's not. 

How many minutes has Tall Paul had on the pitch?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, egg said:

He'd play a striker if he had good ones. Playing tall Paul just because we have him doesn't make him good. 

Tall Paul has looked a threat when we've actually bothered trying to play to his strengths. I don't get how playing a useless immobile midfielder out of position there is somehow better than plaaying either of the actual strikers we have fit.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, egg said:

Opinion or information? 

It's information based on the lineups on sky sports and flashscores 😂 so could be completely wrong, but I choose to believe it.

18 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Is that a baldrick cunning plan? Playing someone even slower on the wing than Moi, coupled with 2 non striking strikers.

I can only assume he'll be standing as still as a statue, pinging balls over the line for Sulemana to run after. If he has to play I'd rather he be there than up top. Alcaraz has combined quite well I think up top, with Che when he wasn't injured so I'm not against it. Not like Paul and Armstrong has done much to displace him and Mara although I'm a fan isn't any more of a traditional striker than Alcaraz can be. 

Sure fire way of letting an inexperienced Manager drown is give him an oversized, low quality squad. It encourages ‘tinkerman’ mentality and lack of cohesion and consistency.

I’ll be interested to see the % of backwards and sideways passes versus forward play. They’ll hit us on the break after we’ve dominated possession for 30 minutes.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 0-2 Palace - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic