Saints 0-2 Palace - Match Thread

SotonianWill

1 hour ago, Chez said:

bite and pace? Blimey, he's a changed man since his loan at Stoke then, because he was slow and weak as piss when he left us.

Third post I think, so no smart comebacks. 🙂  I _was_ comparing him to Mo.. and to be honest I think he was quicker than you give him credit for.

5 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

All fair points, but only a couple of years ago we hit the top of the premier league under Ralph with largely the same group.  For reference this was the side that beat Newcastle to put us top...Mccarthy; KWP Bednarek Vestergaard Stephens; Djenepo Romeu JWP Armstrong; Walcott Adams. 

Only 4 of those players now not available for us, and I'd struggle to accept that you wouldn't have Bazunu over Macca, ABK over Vestergaard and Perraud over Stephens at LB. Only difference really is Romeu and an in form Armstrong.  Of course Ings was a key part that season, and Bertrand was also playing, but you can see the pattern...experience.  And messy systems / confidence and patterns of play.  We had a proper drilled way of playing then, now we struggle to get up the pitch.

The quality of football in the PL  is not the same though is it?

1 hour ago, Saint86 said:

I don't think it will be - likely Mara again. What we'll probably do is play it in the air to Mara, then bring Tall Paul on and play it to his feet...

Onuacho has only played more than 63 minutes in  one game  and his first 3 outings were in tough away fixtures @ Brentford, Chelsea and Leed,)

where we had barely 40% possession,  parked the bus for long periods and created very few shots / chances. 

Not really a fair chance to show up.  He came with a  goal scoring record, (and he didn't get that by always coming off the bench in the last 10 minutes). 

He deserves a proper start , and we should play him until he's on his knees, before subbing him off. 

We can't wait until our " theoretical relegation " before giving him  game time alongside Ballard and Doyle (who also deserve minutes ).

He signed in good faith, in the hope of playing in the Prem. and  may end up being relegated without ever getting a shot on goal. 

Mara is very lightweight and shows occasional bursts of talent, but goes AWOL too often, and I often have to look to see where he is.

Yes - he scored v. City,  but in all fairness it was a great pass from Djenepo,  direct onto his boot, and would have been more difficult to miss.

For me Mara is still a work in progress, whilst Onuacho is an experienced player - almost 10 years his senior - with a proven goal scoring record. 

Whatever the logic of his " non-selection " is - it's a bit beyond me  . 

• Like 7

With availability as it is. I would like to see Sulemana and Dyjenpo/Edozie on the wings. Should cause problems. Then have Alcaraz playing through the middle and running in and around Tall Paul, who should be fucking used as an actual aerial target man ffs. Have JWP supporting and dopping off the right winger/CAM to whip crosses in etc and get men in and around the box. 

You would also like to think that a combination of Djenpo/Edozie and sulemana is going to win a lot of free kicks - or if defenders are scared to tackle, win us a lot of territory.

Sadly i fear it will be more of this pass pass pass bollocks between bazuni, the back 4, and JWP. The concept of actually running with the ball and taking territory has been utterly coached out of the players lately. But that is exactly the kind of attacking bravery that we need right now. Passing in front of teams is like letting them lounge around on the beach with a cocktail in their hands for this level. No threat at all.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 6

53 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

Onuacho has only played more than 63 minutes in  one game  and his first 3 outings were in tough away fixtures @ Brentford, Chelsea and Leed,)

where we had barely 40% possession,  parked the bus for long periods and created very few shots / chances. 

Not really a fair chance to show up.  He came with a  goal scoring record, (and he didn't get that by always coming off the bench in the last 10 minutes). 

He deserves a proper start , and we should play him until he's on his knees, before subbing him off. 

We can't wait until our " theoretical relegation " before giving him  game time alongside Ballard and Doyle (who also deserve minutes ).

He signed in good faith, in the hope of playing in the Prem. and  may end up being relegated without ever getting a shot on goal. 

Mara is very lightweight and shows occasional bursts of talent, but goes AWOL too often, and I often have to look to see where he is.

Yes - he scored v. City,  but in all fairness it was a great pass from Djenepo,  direct onto his boot, and would have been more difficult to miss.

For me Mara is still a work in progress, whilst Onuacho is an experienced player - almost 10 years his senior - with a proven goal scoring record. 

Whatever the logic of his " non-selection " is - it's a bit beyond me  . 

Agree...Big Paul's lack of game time is so weird .. didn't do too badly when he got on and his lack of fitness was probably the only worry. With 5 subs, it shouldn't be an issue. 

I like Mara... should develop into really useful forward, just needs a year with an experienced player to play off (guess Theo atm). Pity we're not in a situation to groom him (a la Che with Ingsy)..

4 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

Just going to leave these nice cliches here to piss you off on this fine Friday afternoon.

They haven’t given us anything worth cheering for so long. That’s the difference between us and the newly promoted teams. Their fans are still enjoying being back in the premier and so backing your team is easier. We backed saints well after promotion because they’d built some credit with the fans. Now we’re done with them and being shit every week so showing up and being ‘up for it’ is beyond many.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, SaintZamboni said:

They haven’t given us anything worth cheering for so long. That’s the difference between us and the newly promoted teams. Their fans are still enjoying being back in the premier and so backing your team is easier. We backed saints well after promotion because they’d built some credit with the fans. Now we’re done with them and being shit every week so showing up and being ‘up for it’ is beyond many.

to get fans onboard you must provide entertainment, wins and most importantly to simply give 100%. with 23 points after 30 odd games no one claim those players have given anywhere near their all. 

• Like 3

I feel so uninterested in the season now that I honestly couldn’t give a shit if we win, lose or draw.

The outcome for the season is still going to be relegation, winning is just delaying it for another week. 🤣

If Saints lost I’d be annoyed all weekend but for the last couple of years at most it’s a shrug of the shoulders now. I’ve lost that much interest in watching average players trudge sideways for ninety minutes. 😅

I’ve been to poor non-league matches over the last few years than I have Saints, at least that’s value for money.

1-0 to Palace my prediction.

• Like 1

I'm just about at the stage where I don't give a toss any more. A win just delays the inevitable while allowing the optimistic among us to feel that twinge of hope. A hefty defeat would finally kill off that hope and put us out our misery. So I'm expecting the worst of all worlds where Saints take an early lead before conceding a late own goal equaliser after waves of Palace attacks.

• Like 1

At least today will most probably kill all hope off at last thank christ...even if we win it's just prolonging the inevitable unfortunately.  

How does selles record compare to the Welsh genius's one win in eight btw? 

9 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

I'd like to see a 4-3-3 with Sulemana and Edozie supporting Tall Paul with a midfield three of Lavia, JWP and Charly but I suspect we will get the usual dross line up and tactics i.e. elynoussi, Walcott and Mara. 

Elyonoussi for me is the worst culprit he offers nothing he's done better recently but there's never any end product! Why do managers persist with him?

Unfortunately we've not got enough goals I'm us to win and Selles knows it - so it will be another cautious performance hoping to keep a clean sheet and nick a goal from a mistake, set piece or penalty. We've got too many mistakes in us for this strategy to ever work so sadly I think this will be the game that kills us off. 

For some mental reason I've still got hope that I'm wrong...

27 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Elyonoussi for me is the worst culprit he offers nothing he's done better recently but there's never any end product! Why do managers persist with him?

Because he's the sort of nice bloke that nods his head to everybody, three bags full sir and appears to agree with everybody, so he gets picked. He's still a fucking nothing player and he wouldn't get in my reserves reserves.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Do or die (mk 5) today.......surely this is 'must win'...?

Sorry the forum experts have already stated that this game is absolutely not a must win.

So as this is not a must win then a plucky draw or even a noble defeat is all absolutely fine because we'd still be on course for Premier League  safety anyway 👍👍👍👍👍

Edited by CB Fry

On 14/04/2023 at 08:03, Fitzhugh Fella said:

I dread 2 o’ clock and the unveiling of the team almost as much as the kick off. 
Just want to see 11 players who give blood while looking like they really want to attack. 

I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve spent 2hours driving to Southampton, and then ask myself ‘why did I bother ?’  on seeing the line up.

2 hours ago, Mr X said:

I’m not a fan of Ely by any means, but to his credit you do at least see someone who puts a bit of effort in, tracking back etc.  No end product of course, I agree, but there is some honest endeavour there, albeit with limited ability.

Compare that with say, Aribo, where he seems to just casually saunter around without any sense of urgency. 

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

So as this is not a must win then a plucky draw or even a noble defeat is all absolutely fine because we'd still be on course for Premier League  safety anyway 👍👍👍👍👍

You really are ponderously unfunny. Give the sarcastic humour a rest for once, could you please?

Tuning in for this one from a bar in Bangkok. The omens are not good: last time I watched a game here we lost 0-6 to Chelsea.

Tempted to make a deal with the gods of football: if we win by 3 goals I'll shag a ladyboy. But only if she/he is wearing a nuns outfit.

(Although I wouldn't, because desperate as I am for a win, there are limits).

(Plus, my wife wouldn't let me).

COYRs!

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Tuning in for this one from a bar in Bangkok. The omens are not good: last time I watched a game here we lost 0-6 to Chelsea.

Tempted to make a deal with the gods of football: if we win by 3 goals I'll shag a ladyboy. But only if she/he is wearing a nuns outfit.

(Although I wouldn't, because desperate as I am for a win, there are limits).

(Plus, my wife wouldn't let me).

COYRs!

How long had you been married before you discovered her secret?

• Haha 1

Here ive saved everyone the bother:

About 10 minutes to wait to see a teamsheet of Moi and Co. Feel angry, defeated

Start ok, nothing special

Trying desperately not to lose,  barely attack

Concede

Get overrun for a while 

Look slightly better for 2 minutes

Concede a second 

Subs

Have a 5 minute "purple patch"

Concede again

10 mins left rage at the lack of urgency

Stoppage time passing it slowly around 

Final whistle

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Here ive saved everyone the bother:

About 10 minutes to wait to see a teamsheet of Moi and Co. Feel angry, defeated

Start ok, nothing special

Trying desperately not to lose,  barely attack

Concede

Get overrun for a while 

Look slightly better for 2 minutes

Concede a second 

Subs

Have a 5 minute "purple patch"

Concede again

10 mins left rage at the lack of urgency

Stoppage time passing it slowly around 

Final whistle

Yep. Probably this.

Plus: last 10 minutes, they're sitting deep and we're playing keep ball between CBs and GK. Good for the completed passes stats though.

Not optimistic.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 0-2 Palace - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic