Saints 0-2 Palace - Match Thread

SotonianWill

6 hours ago, DT said:

Selles will say he was really happy with the first 60 minutes. Not so much the last 30 when we conceded 3.

Fed up with this shit.

Make the season end, let JWP and all the other tossers bog off to their new clubs (they have already winked at), get a no-nonsense manager in and change the culture of the entire club from top to bottom, so we don't miraculously somehow turn decent talent into utter dross.

Not much to ask.

If you can’t wait to get rid of ‘tossers’ like JWP and want a ‘no nonsense’ manager, you have a serious case of be careful what you wish for. It’s very likely the former will leave and be replaced by someone no better than Diallo. As for a no nonsense manager, I can’t think of anyone who fits that description better than Jones; lump it forward to the big man.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

I’m struggling to give a shit, however, I missed both the City and Spurs games, so looking forward to being back at St Mary’s, been a while! 

Let’s face it, we’re pretty much down, so might as well go into this game and have a go, it doesn’t really matter if we lose. 

Id like to see Djenepo given a chance. He’s done ok this season, and was decent in some of our wins this season. 

Bazunu; KWP Bednarek ABK Perraud; Lavia JWP; Djenepo Alcaraz Sulemena; Adams

Assuming the above are fit. I’d like to see Salisu back in alongside ABK, but seems unlikely we’ll see him again unfortunately. 

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

I’m struggling to give a shit, however, I missed both the City and Spurs games, so looking forward to being back at St Mary’s, been a while! 

Let’s face it, we’re pretty much down, so might as well go into this game and have a go, it doesn’t really matter if we lose. 

Id like to see Djenepo given a chance. He’s done ok this season, and was decent in some of our wins this season. 

Assuming the above are fit. I’d like to see Salisu back in alongside ABK, but seems unlikely we’ll see him again unfortunately. 

I'd go with this. 

11 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Totally agree.

Start strongly get a lead so we have something to defend especially when the crowd are behind us. win 2-0

It’s more than likely we will set up to to not concede and then after doing just that we chase shadows against two banks of 4 and get hit on the break to lose 2-0

Far too predictable!

• Like 6

Yeah, not really feeling positive about the remainder of the season…it’s just an inevitable slip into the Championship without a fight. Like watching jelly slide off a plate onto floor, but less entertaining. It’s another must win game, so we’ll lose it with a lack of intensity and intent. No goal scorer to call on. Ely-no-usey and Walcott get a start…probably Diallo too. Not sure why I still care, but I do and will likely be glued to a screen somewhere shouting at unfathomable VAR decisions. 0-2 Palace.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM
  • Like 6

Lack of skill I can excuse. Lack of effort and intensity I can't. If we don't do the latter on Saturday I might have to give up on this bunch until they can show they actually give a shit. Starting with the captain showing an example, and not just tippy tapping it back and sideways. Agree with earlier poster; Djenepo might not be perfect, but at least he still wants to give it a go. Guess we might see for 10 minutes when he replaces the greatest player that ever lived, Elyanuseless

3 hours ago, Highfield Saint said:

This is a first game for my young niece and nephew after she self converted from supporting City. She's 10 and he's 8 and they are fully expecting a Saints goal fest. Dont let them down now boys ! 3-0 Saints x

i think you may need to manage their expectations a little 🤣

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Just waiting for the next tactical masterclass from Rueben fucking Selles.

" I was very happy with how we played in this 0-3 defeat. We controlled the game. And I have a marvellous roll-neck. And the players like me. So nah nah na nah naah.'

(bangs on about how great we are and how he doesn't look at the table, or how shit Elynoussi is, of how other teams actually attack and at least try to score goals rather than 'sit tight' and just hope it goes in off someone's arse and we hold on for dear life. Just like wot Ralph taught him.)

• Like 1

On 11/04/2023 at 23:15, Saint Garrett said:

Also attending SMS after a hiatus. I have a feeling the eight year old accompanying me might have their vocabulary expanded as I vent the season's frustration.

I always worry about the quality and pace of Palace's forward line. Ayew ran rings around us last year and was far too quick for any of our goons. We all know about Zaha, Eze and Olise's talent, yet every now and then we somehow manage to contain them and grab a win. 

I suspect it will be as painful as last year, but there is just a little bit more space in my world for additional suffering that ultimately will make the good days that much sweeter.

I'm happy to go with your side. A bit of Djenepo randomness can't do us any harm. If Adams isn't fit, then I'd go Mara ahead of Onuachu, despite so many Saints fans moaning about his lack of chances.

Edited by Chez

8 minutes ago, Chez said:

Also attending SMS after a hiatus. I have a feeling the eight year old accompanying me might have their vocabulary expanded as I vent the season's frustration.

I always worry about the quality and pace of Palace's forward line. Ayew ran rings around us last year and was far too quick for any of our goons. We all know about Zaha, Eze and Olise's talent, yet every now and then we somehow manage to contain them and grab a win. 

I suspect it will be as painful as last year, but there is just a little bit more space in my world for additional suffering that ultimately will make the good days that much sweeter.

I'm happy to go with your side. A bit of Djenepo randomness can't do us any harm. If Adam's isn't fit, then I'd go Mara ahead of Onuachu, despite so many Saints fans moaning about his lack of chances.

I cannot see a win this weekend sadly - no matter how badly we need it. And i do think that failure to win this game is probably one of the very last nails in the coffin this year.

They're a fairly solid team with a lot of attacking threat. We carry no attacking threat and aren't particularly solid at the back.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

Just waiting for the next tactical masterclass from Rueben fucking Selles.

We got Selles,

Reuben Selles,

I just don't think you understand (@Wade Garrett especially)

We're gonna keep it tight

and go down without a fight

We got Reuben Selles

All that matters is work off the ball and adhering to the system, please ..... don't fight it, don't fight it, when you don't know what it is... another song there for good measure. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, DT said:

Lack of skill I can excuse. Lack of effort and intensity I can't. If we don't do the latter on Saturday I might have to give up on this bunch until they can show they actually give a shit. Starting with the captain showing an example, and not just tippy tapping it back and sideways. Agree with earlier poster; Djenepo might not be perfect, but at least he still wants to give it a go. Guess we might see for 10 minutes when he replaces the greatest player that ever lived, Elyanuseless

Given that we came back from 1-3 down to Spurs and held Man City for 44 mins I'm not sure that this is fair !

We have limitations in quality for sure but I reckon that lack of effort is not an issue (how do you evaluate intensity against a far superior team when you spend most of your time chasing the ball/shadows ?) 

• Like 1

Is 'holding' Man City for 44 minutes where we are now? Whoopy doo. Jeez, the lack of ambition on this forum almost matches the shoulder-shrugging slip into the Championship and below.

Ooh, new stadiums to visit. Fuck sake

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

What do we reckon - does he go for Moi again or does he finally realise we cant defend so might as well try and score.

I’m fully expecting to see Eluseless in the starting eleven yet again. Then put my head in my hands. Again.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Chez said:

I'm happy to go with your side. A bit of Djenepo randomness can't do us any harm. If Adams isn't fit, then I'd go Mara ahead of Onuachu, despite so many Saints fans moaning about his lack of chances.

I remember when Djenepo scored against City he looked more surprised than anyone that he could kick a ball that far, but I agree, he runs at people and can't do us any harm. Similarly Edozie seems out of favour but runs at people. We have to have that attacking intent. 

There used to be a chant: "Attack..attack......attack, attack, attack" in the 70's/80's. I started shouting this in the Sheff Wed game a few months ago and people were looking with the 'patience, dear chap' look. When we're more positive, we do well. It isn't rocket science.

• Like 7

On 10/04/2023 at 11:52, OttawaSaint said:

Same old frustrating shit.

3-0 Palace.

This. Stop the pretence we can stay up and increasingly annoying blindingly obvious comments from Selles, who I'm beginning to dislike immensely. He had the opportunity to lift the shackles and give the players some real freedom to play to win. Unfortunately he plays not to lose...and we end up losing anyway. 'We have enough goals in the side" - err umm no, no we  f...ing don't dickhead! Especially when the few people in the squad who actually do know what it's like to score a goal, or create a threat even, aren't put on the pitch. Hopefully early recognition that Selles is not the answer to bring us straight up from the Championship.

It will accelerate the early picking over the bones of our squad with the 'best out first' rule being applied. Farewell Lavia, such a shame.

Can't believe how disillusioned I am in the team I've followed for 55 years. Ankersen has made some dreadful decisions that we will likely pay with a very long stint in the wilderness.

• Like 5

I'm changing my approach tomorrow: I'm going to watch stone cold sober and reserve my ration for after the game which I assume will be drowning my sorrows rather than wild celebration.

It's not the defeat against Manchester City and how we played against them that worries me but how unutterably unambitious we have been against the shit teams. Please do not play Elyounoussi unless as a substitute to go defensive when we are three goals up..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

I dread 2 o’ clock and the unveiling of the team almost as much as the kick off. 
Just want to see 11 players who give blood while looking like they really want to attack. 

Honestly baffles me there's people who still think there is a correct 11 to pick from our squad.

Few months back people were apoplectic with rage if you even dared to suggest DCC wasn't the greatest CB we have but he gets a start, performs terribly and we move onto the next one. There isn't a player in our squad who can say they've not had a chance. There's no magic 11 that will suddenly attack. We've recruited for 4 years for a manager who prioritised off the ball qualities. Then in January we recruited for a manager who wanted more physical qualities, we then sacked that manager and appointed someone who wants to go back to the previous managers traits. There's probably logic in every step individually (why wouldn't Jones want a bigger/quicker squad? why wouldn't Selles look at the squad and revert back to what it's been recruited to do?) but the result is we're in a situation where we have a whole squad that lacks ability on the ball. There's isn't an 11 that suddenly attacks free flowingly because it lacks the quality to do so. There will be occasional moments of course and we need to find a way to covert those moments into wins but we haven't had a manager who has been appointed to focous on attacking patterns of play for years and it shows in the whole squad. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Honestly baffles me there's people who still think there is a correct 11 to pick from our squad.

Few months back people were apoplectic with rage if you even dared to suggest DCC wasn't the greatest CB we have but he gets a start, performs terribly and we move onto the next one. There isn't a player in our squad who can say they've not had a chance. There's no magic 11 that will suddenly attack. We've recruited for 4 years for a manager who prioritised off the ball qualities. Then in January we recruited for a manager who wanted more physical qualities, we then sacked that manager and appointed someone who wants to go back to the previous managers traits. There's probably logic in every step individually (why wouldn't Jones want a bigger/quicker squad? why wouldn't Selles look at the squad and revert back to what it's been recruited to do?) but the result is we're in a situation where we have a whole squad that lacks ability on the ball. There's isn't an 11 that suddenly attacks free flowingly because it lacks the quality to do so. There will be occasional moments of course and we need to find a way to covert those moments into wins but we haven't had a manager who has been appointed to focous on attacking patterns of play for years and it shows in the whole squad. 

All fair points, but only a couple of years ago we hit the top of the premier league under Ralph with largely the same group.  For reference this was the side that beat Newcastle to put us top...Mccarthy; KWP Bednarek Vestergaard Stephens; Djenepo Romeu JWP Armstrong; Walcott Adams. 

Only 4 of those players now not available for us, and I'd struggle to accept that you wouldn't have Bazunu over Macca, ABK over Vestergaard and Perraud over Stephens at LB. Only difference really is Romeu and an in form Armstrong.  Of course Ings was a key part that season, and Bertrand was also playing, but you can see the pattern...experience.  And messy systems / confidence and patterns of play.  We had a proper drilled way of playing then, now we struggle to get up the pitch.

Edited by Saint Garrett
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

All fair points, but only a couple of years ago we hit the top of the premier league under Ralph with largely the same group.  For reference this was the side that beat Newcastle to put us top...Mccarthy; KWP Bednarek Vestergaard Stephens; Djenepo Romeu JWP Armstrong; Walcott Adams. 

Only 4 of those players now not available for us, and I'd struggle to accept that you wouldn't have Bazunu over Macca, ABK over Vestergaard and Perraud over Stephens at LB. Only difference really is Romeu and an in form Armstrong.  Of course Ings was a key part that season, and Bertrand was also playing, but you can see the pattern...experience.  And messy systems / confidence and patterns of play.  We had a proper drilled way of playing then, now we struggle to get up the pitch.

Isn't that the issue though? Same group (minus the exceptional goal scorer which can mask any issues) and same ideas. We didn't evolve any of our patterns of play. We tried little adaptations and occasionally different formations but they all felt pretty desperate and never really clicked but the other teams in the league have quickly become accustomed to our style of play. We went top and then did a free fall later that season. Teams came to St Marys and defended deep which put the onus on us to do something different and we've been clueless at home ever since. Fundamentally there's good traits in the team, it's why we don't get battered too much and it's why a fair few of the squad will be courted by top teams if we go down (none of the attackers fwiw) but we don't have any star quality we had back then and other than get it to some of the dribblers in the squad we don't have any drilled way of attacking either and probably haven't had since the times you are talking about.

• Like 1

Only a fool would think that passing the ball endlessly around the defenders, JWP and Bazunu would do anything other than allow the opposition to consolidate and dominate by outnumbering our attackers. They obviously pay no attention to the number of times we are blocked by numbers in the penalty area when we eventually now and again get the ball up the pitch.

Bednarek said this week we needed to keep the ball and have more possession. Pedestrian slow possession in our own half contributes to our lack of cutting edge. The strolling nothingness of Elyounoussi does nothing except add to that lethargy.

Personally I think that Selles is nothing more than an academically qualified theoretical coach that has overcomplicated team selections. Football is an easy game. It needs team selection to allow the players that play best together and complement each other. Week after week we see players that can't do this being picked so that there is little cohesion. Playing to a plan, yes but not suited. The plan should be formed by picking a side that dictates what the plan should be. 

Alec Ferguson was the most successful manager for years by playing players in their natural formation, 4-4-2 nothing complicated but nice balance. We don't do that, Example, Onuachu is a box player so get him to press in midfield, totally crass. Last week he nearly rescued us doing what he is good at so let him play there. Djenepo is erratic but use him as an attacker wide with Sullemana on the other side. Play Mara/Alcaraz with Lavia and JWP. Stop playing KWP at left back he just doesn't get the fact he needs to face the other way, he plays on the left like a right back so constantly loses his position. Play Perraud at left back. Bednarek and Bella-Kotchap are our best centrebacks until Salisu finds the toys he's chucked out of his pram.

It's not rocket science. Stop trying to regiment players into a pattern. Pick the players in their natural positions and let them blend.

• Like 13

3 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

We still had a good mananger then, and crucially he had a viable focal point to convert the created chances (ings). Two boards have since failed Ralph on the striker situation (although mainly Rasmus as Semmens did at least get broja in), and then half our fanbase was apparently oblivious to the deeper performance metrics and decided to turn on him (after 4 solid years) because he didn't have us fighting for top 10 this season... despite injuries, no attack, and a young inexperienced squad to gel. As anticipated by many, it's been markedly all down hill from there on out 🤣. And we're just reaping what's been sown over a few years now sadly. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 4

Living abroad, don't get to go to games often so have been noisily and pointlessly directing my match day frustrations and despair at Sky Switzerland commentators.
Though my german swear word vocabulary is limited, pretty sure all my neighbours get the jest.

However, will be at St Mary's on Saturday to give me a chance to vent it all out or fall in love with the team again...

Komm schon du Heiligen

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

Absolutely spot b*ll*ck on!  I've watched Ralph, Jones and Selles (and all their coaching teams) consistently fail to coach the squad in how to attack with speed and precision.  There's a lack of confidence in many forward players, but that's likely caused by the very few opportunities being golden ones - i.e. fewer there are, the more pressure to score.  There have been signs of good intent and skill - take the fairly recent Che lay-off to Alcarez in midfield who had the composure to run at a depleted defence and score a great goal.  There are just not enough examples.

But in the main the tip tap, passing backwards and sideways, working along narrow sidelines approach has been highly ineffective time and time again.  JWP plays a huge part in this - there's a reason he's Captain and that's because he understands and executes the Managers instructions to slow play down.  I've seen defenders ignore a pass to JWP likely because they know they'll just get it back again with an forward player closing them down.  They try to play safe and still get caught out.  And the really scary thing is that in the Championship these tactics will fail miserably too - perhaps even more so with the prospect of getting sucked into total collapse.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, ButtikonSaint said:

Living abroad, don't get to go to games often so have been noisily and pointlessly directing my match day frustrations and despair at Sky Switzerland commentators.
Though my german swear word vocabulary is limited, pretty sure all my neighbours get the jest.

However, will be at St Mary's on Saturday to give me a chance to vent it all out or fall in love with the team again...

Komm schon du Heiligen

I hope it is not a horrible Saints performance, for you at least 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, derry said:

Only a fool would think that passing the ball endlessly around the defenders, JWP and Bazunu would do anything other than allow the opposition to consolidate and dominate by outnumbering our attackers. They obviously pay no attention to the number of times we are blocked by numbers in the penalty area when we eventually now and again get the ball up the pitch.

Bednarek said this week we needed to keep the ball and have more possession. Pedestrian slow possession in our own half contributes to our lack of cutting edge. The strolling nothingness of Elyounoussi does nothing except add to that lethargy.

Personally I think that Selles is nothing more than an academically qualified theoretical coach that has overcomplicated team selections. Football is an easy game. It needs team selection to allow the players that play best together and complement each other. Week after week we see players that can't do this being picked so that there is little cohesion. Playing to a plan, yes but not suited. The plan should be formed by picking a side that dictates what the plan should be. 

Alec Ferguson was the most successful manager for years by playing players in their natural formation, 4-4-2 nothing complicated but nice balance. We don't do that, Example, Onuachu is a box player so get him to press in midfield, totally crass. Last week he nearly rescued us doing what he is good at so let him play there. Djenepo is erratic but use him as an attacker wide with Sullemana on the other side. Play Mara/Alcaraz with Lavia and JWP. Stop playing KWP at left back he just doesn't get the fact he needs to face the other way, he plays on the left like a right back so constantly loses his position. Play Perraud at left back. Bednarek and Bella-Kotchap are our best centrebacks until Salisu finds the toys he's chucked out of his pram.

It's not rocket science. Stop trying to regiment players into a pattern. Pick the players in their natural positions and let them blend.

Excellent post.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Saints 9 - Palace 0

Moi to score all 9 goals with assists from Diallo (7) and Bree (2)

Friday lunchtime drinks are a great tradition, but easy goes..

I'd agree with Derry's post though, particularly the "strolling nothingness" comment. CBFry, of this parish, said recently that Smallbone wouldn't get in our team, but at the moment I'd welcome his bite and pace to replace Mo.

7 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

Friday lunchtime drinks are a great tradition, but easy goes..

I'd agree with Derry's post though, particularly the "strolling nothingness" comment. CBFry, of this parish, said recently that Smallbone wouldn't get in our team, but at the moment I'd welcome his bite and pace to replace Mo.

bite and pace? Blimey, he's a changed man since his loan at Stoke then, because he was slow and weak as piss when he left us.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ButtikonSaint said:

Komm schon du Heiligen

Well i think we all hope you see a saints win!!!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Adams still injured. Got to be Tall Paul up front.

I don't think it will be - likely Mara again. What we'll probably do is play it in the air to Mara, then bring Tall Paul on and play it to his feet...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, derry said:

Absolutely spot on, a manager's job is to look at the squad and play a system that suits and gets the best out of them. Selles seems content to pick the same players in the same formation that has failed to work in quite a while, a lot of which he has witnessed.

And to keep saying players, particularly one who most of us know can't tackle, is good against the ball and blocking lanes is really starting to get on my wiggle.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 0-2 Palace - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic