May 1 1976 Forty Seven Years Ago

John B

28 minutes ago, obelisk said:

Given what Palace have done by getting an old-timer in, has anyone sounded out Lawrie to see if he fancies taking charge for a few games? 😇

I think Lawrie would be useful even today as his best attribute was buying decent players many being proven in the league we were playing in

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John B said:

I felt rather better that day than I do about Southampton Football Club today but one has to take the ups and downs of football

1976 FA Cup final - Wikipedia

No doubt better things are around the  corner and I doubt I will have such a hangover on May 2 2023 as I had on May 2 1976

I always say May 1st 1976 was the best day of my life with March 8 th 1986 my second

Brighton and Hove Albion v Southampton, 08 March 1986 Score    2-0 to Southampton FA Cup Quarter-final

Team Peter Shilton Kevin Bond Mark Wright David Armstrong Steve Baker Jimmy Case Glenn Cockerill Nick Holmes George Lawrence Steve Moran Danny Wallace

Which was the day I got married

We did have good players in those days not young inexperienced young players on a step to possible fame and fortune

• Like 1

1 hour ago, obelisk said:

Given what Palace have done by getting an old-timer in, has anyone sounded out Lawrie to see if he fancies taking charge for a few games? 😇

Even at 86 I think he'd intimidate a bit more fight out of our current lightweights

spacer.png

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, John B said:

I always say May 1st 1976 was the best day of my life with March 8 th 1986 my second

Brighton and Hove Albion v Southampton, 08 March 1986 Score    2-0 to Southampton FA Cup Quarter-final

Team Peter Shilton Kevin Bond Mark Wright David Armstrong Steve Baker Jimmy Case Glenn Cockerill Nick Holmes George Lawrence Steve Moran Danny Wallace

Which was the day I got married

We did have good players in those days not young inexperienced young players on a step to possible fame and fortune

Nice to know you have your priorities in the right order 🤣

• Like 1

When I went to the final I had only been watching Saints regularly  since 1969, so I was lucky to see us win silverware at just 16. I have never expected us to win trophies on a regular basis, but would something every 20 years be too much to ask? Even Norwich and Ipswich have won more than we have.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Kenilworthy said:

When I went to the final I had only been watching Saints regularly  since 1969, so I was lucky to see us win silverware at just 16. I have never expected us to win trophies on a regular basis, but would something every 20 years be too much to ask? Even Norwich and Ipswich have won more than we have.

You could argue it makes it all the more special, but feel for those who didn't experience it.

14 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

12 years ago on May 2nd, we woke up to the news that Bin Laden had been killed, then got promoted away to Plymouth.

So who do we need to kill this time to avoid relegation? Happy to draw up a shortlist.

8 hours ago, Winnersaint said:

Sid James died on 01/05/76 missed that nugget of news for some reason.

4 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Maybe because he died on the 26th April. 

I think Winnersaint must be confusing Sid with Greek poet Alexandros Panagoulis. Easily done.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 01/05/2023 at 11:23, alehouseboys said:

Even at 86 I think he'd intimidate a bit more fight out of our current lightweights

spacer.png

The quality of players in this photo and playing for Saints still amazes me every time I see it.  

2 hours ago, tttdcs said:

The quality of players in this photo and playing for Saints still amazes me every time I see it.  

I know Lawrie was/is a big guy, but I remember when this photo was first around thinking it made all of our players look like midgets, not so much KK and Bally (who were) but even big guys like Chris Nicholl, some strange photo trickery I think.

17 hours ago, tttdcs said:

A few ‘characters’ as well - I was so lucky to have been a STH (family centre) through that period from 1975-76 - feel it was an age when smaller clubs could still reach for the top.. 

Having just celebrated another Birthday (1st May) there will never be another Birthday present quite like the one I received from "the lads" that day in '76. I was in my teens and it still gives me a warm tingle (thankfully!) when I see that goal replayed and Peter Rodriguez lifting the Cup. No one can ever take that day away.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, trousers said:

I think Winnersaint must be confusing Sid with Greek poet Alexandros Panagoulis. Easily done.

Was he knobbing Barbara Windsor as well ? 

Must have missed that in the 1970's News of The World exclusive. 

Edited by Badger

There we were about a quarter to 5 standing inside the Dell on a January evening in 1976 looking up at the moon wondering why we were still bothering to watch this lot. We had a useless manager who had not only got us relegated but seemed to have no clue how to get us back up now in a second season in the 2nd division. We weren't even going to have a cup run to console us being 1-0 down to a top division team, even if we got an equaliser we still had to beat them at their place. Then 1 kick, 1 shot from Hughie Fisher changed the course of history. Without that goal we might still be playing in thr Dell in front of 14 thousand or less  another Bristol City or even Swindon Town. 

I don't suppose I'll ever see the like again in my lifetime but if it was to happen now would be as good a time as any.

• Like 3