Saints 1-1 Rotherham - Match Thread

Lee On Solent Saint

15 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Do any of us actually want that? The PL can do one.

If we could be guaranteed top 6 forever in the Championship Id settle for that, but it is torrid being in the lower reaches fighting a relegation battle in this league. Stay in here too long and that will happen as our financial muscle fades

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Its a catch 22. I'm not particularly fussed with being in the PL - Unless we're willing to give it a go and break into Europe / win a cup (wouldn't change those 2-3 seasons for anything), but if we're not aiming for promotion, what is the point in existing..?

what is for certain, I don't want promotion with Martin in charge - it'd be embarrassing for us on a weekly basis. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Once there are at least 10 American owners, is there a chance they could get it voted in that like American sport there is no relegation? Fanciful perhaps but it makes business sense for them, Gone will be the ogre of relegation.

2 minutes ago, Dman said:

Its a catch 22. I'm not particularly fussed with being in the PL - Unless we're willing to give it a go and break into Europe / win a cup (wouldn't change those 2-3 seasons for anything), but if we're not aiming for promotion, what is the point in existing..?

what is for certain, I don't want promotion with Martin in charge - it'd be embarrassing for us on a weekly basis. 

Yes Catch 22 as if we get promotion RM would be the manager

27 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

That's what fans are. The sooner people drop this silly autistic sentiment that the club should mean as much to players/managers as it does to them the better.

I know that the club doesn't mean much to players and managers, but it does to me. That's why I class myself as a fan not a customer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I know that the club doesn't mean much to players and managers, but it does to me. That's why I class myself as a fan not a customer.

You're a customer. That's not to take away any emotional attachment to the club. You can have emotional attachments to shops etc. But clubs don't care about fans nor should they. Obviously they care about them collectively but if you or I just decided to stop going to games or engaging with the club in any way, do you think they'd care? Course not.

I love the club too but I'm happy in the knowledge that it's a one way feeling. They don't give a sh1t about me, nor should they.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, rooney said:

Fans have a miserable weekend when we lose or do not win like on Saturday. Customers go to watch the game and do not think much about it afterwards. 

I remember when a loss would ruin my weekend. I genuinely now forget about it after about by the time i'm half way down Britannia road. 

Supporting this club, in the PL, has sucked the enjoyment out of it for me and I actually now prefer not giving a toss and just using the football as an excuse to get together with my mates. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Dman said:

I remember when a loss would ruin my weekend. I genuinely now forget about it after about by the time i'm half way down Britannia road. 

Supporting this club, in the PL, has sucked the enjoyment out of it for me and I actually now prefer not giving a toss and just using the football as an excuse to get together with my mates. 

This. When I was a teenager a win would elate me and a defeat would devastate me. Like you say, it would ruin my weekend. Now a days, I would just "prefer" Saints to win and that's about it. Obviously that feeling rises with bigger games.

I thought it was just because I'd got older and had "grown up" stuff on my mind now and not the carefree life of a teenager but maybe it is to do with the PL and how things are in that.

• Like 1

INCOMING WALL OF TEXT WARNING! 🙂

On 08/10/2023 at 09:31, gio1saints said:

As ever a wide range of reactions to the result. I’m personally sanguine but there was a lot of abuse hurled at the team , individual players and RM at the end from some around me. some here will say it’s well warranted. To those I say I respect your opinion but not the ways it was expressed on Saturday. That was out of order.

My impressions from Block 41: 

1. Probably our most dominant and skilful home display of the season. Some of our football was wonderful to watch.  I loved the way we moved the ball up the pitch and made 15 ( I think) chances. 
2. Support around me often concurring with delight at the way we finally seem to have cracked the dilly dallying on the ball around the penalty area issue - though it did resurface once or twice. 
2. Canny work from the Rotherham manager to shuffle his team set up early to adapt and try to restrain us. It stemmed, but did not abate,  our much more incisive than hitherto this season play. 
3. Rotherham are a very limited team - relegation material imo- but this result was deserved if only for their defensive performance. Fair dos to them. 
4. We failed to win due to not scoring from excellent chances. Excellent chances that in normal circumstances would be converted into goals. No one player was most at fault - they ALL misfired at the we critical moment  - CA, AA, KS, SA, RF, SE all of them. 
5. Any team, player or RM criticism of the performance up until shooting on goal in general is ill-conceived. Criticism of our finishing on the other hand is extremely fair- we were well below par. 
6. IF we play like that every match between now and end of season we will ( surely) be putting a hatful past some opponents at some stage. And I’d guess that’s more likely away than at home as teams may feel obligated to open up a bit more when playing us at home. I can see a set of big away wins on the cards for us. 
7. Kamaldeen and Sam are still Learning but both obviously ridiculously too quick too skilled for their opponents - they just need add end product ( or, frankly, have a striker to pass to after they beaten their man who just scores not misses) 
8. I thought the midfield four did well. 
9. Che Adams was relatively ineffective after a promising first ten minutes. I thought he would bully such teams as these but he looked subdued. 
10 AA worked hard. Again. Failed to score his chance (s) (again) but still put max  effort in -which is the minimum. He’s limited and not the greatest player I’ve ever seen in a saints shirt but he works his butt off so he’s ok with me. 
11. Manning and KWP both had sound games. Manning in particular has to adapt because KS still does not know what to do out of possession so Manning needs curb his attacking instincts ( look at his goals and assists last season) - which is a shame because defensively he’s only average rather than good or great and I’m sure we recruited him for that rather than as a defensive player. I can see his football intelligence and experience is their though so he’s OK with me too. 
12. SA was good in fits and starts he does things others don’t do- notably his direct running from midfield central areas - a bit like Charlie. Defensively they are average however. Both are very good players at this level if others can do the defending…Charlie is the more dynamic more technically skilled and has more promise and better goal instincts imo but Stu does also put a shift in which Charlie sometimes only belatedly remembers out of possession hence he seems to always be involved in flare ups due to having to be overaggressive to regain possession. 
13. My personal view is that long term Shea Charles should be playing instead of Stu. I like Stu AND I know Shea, Flynn and Will are unlikely goalscorers- whereas Stus scored 2/2  but with them in midfield we will concede even fewer ( but Stus goalscoring record is sketchy overall) and with AA, KS, Charlie and our new CF to come they should take care of the bulk of the goalscoring. 
14. Baz is become s fan favourite. Who would have thought it. 
15. AA gave armband to Jan when he went off - NOT Che as he has done previously - the situation and implication obvious. 
16. Our twin CB ‘s played well, again. That’s them set for rest of season. 
17. Shout out to Rotherham’s goalie. Some simply excellent saves. He will be playing for better team shortly for sure. 
18 Aribo - looked clumsy as usual but it’s difficult to get the ball off of him. It’s weird but I’d be tempted to put him in at CF sometimes as a CF  so he can hold ball up a bit- Michel Antonio style. 
19 Some “Supporters”abusing RM and players at full time. Disgusting. Appalling. Ignorant. Short-sighted. Anywhere else in society you behave like that to staff in public you get prosecuted. At football it’s supposedly ok. It’s not. It’s disgraceful & shameful. Aggravated by the public nature especially when in front of kids. Plus ca change. I don’t consider them supporters. Just vile customers. 

Saintly regards 
Giordano 

Thanks for taking the time to give so many of your thoughts. Lots of interesting points.

The match brought out a lot of things that Martin will have been thrilled with, while at the same time showing just as many problems, not least the actual result.

1 - From what I recall it was 12 in the first half, with 5 on target, and not far off that in the second. Utterly dominant for most of the first half. Moved the ball around well, working hard to create structure for us to get it forward so far. We played out from the back comfortably, always looking to find our man, rather than give the ball away. Ironically, the one I do recall being given away was from Baz, whose distribution has been really good.  

2 - I’d say we were better [caveat with all of this considering the opponent of the day] at getting it into the attacking third. We certainly created enough efforts. If we overdo it occasionally, then fine, as the best decision isn’t always going to be made and it’s a style that can be overdone, waiting for a better opportunity.

And to our credit, a patient, careful style that created those efforts. Being vulnerable with a 1-0 lead is the same across any number of tactics. But if you’re playing one that is deliberately patient, potentially giving up opportunities to put a team to the sword in favour of possession, then it will open up criticism. While we created chances with Martin’s tactic, would another one simply have been more effective against weaker opposition?

2 - The Rotherham manager waited until well into the half to change things around. That was when our utter dominance changed, and they closed us down for several minutes. Thinking back, it’s a little alarming it was so successful at doing so for several minutes. It was then, the penny dropped that for all our possession, we hadn’t capitalised on it, and the game had changed. By half time though, we had been creating space again and were back on top. Plenty of reason to be optimistic for the second half.

But Martin’s tactic faltered. I’d be interested to see some detailed stats between the halves. We certainly weren’t pushing for a second. We were waiting for opportunities. And that affects the intensity. Our subs made us weaker, and most glaring of all was we didn’t have a plan when we had to score a goal. It was more of the same, with the clock ticking down. Changing tempo seems to be a big ask, and the first half was patient more than intense to begin with.

3 – Rotherham are very possibly relegation material. But for all our chances, we didn’t beat them while I’ve no doubt that plenty of other teams, who choose not to pass them to death, will. That’s part of the key issue. MartinBall is deployed regardless of opposition. Our squad is now build around it. But being unable to switch it up, when we need to or when circumstances clearly allow for it hampers us. We struggle to even keep a reasonable tempo of MartinBall for a half, let alone across a game (scar tissues apparently whether we go one down, one up or are level). Rotherham waited quite a bit to change. When they did, they sat in and waited, and waited. We got undone by one of their two efforts, couldn’t adapt when we needed too, and they had five more minutes of getting at us.

4 – Their goalkeeper had a good game, making some good saves. I don’t go along with commentator quotes of him having one of the best games of his career. He wasn’t pulling off world class, baffling saves. We created plenty of chances. In the first half playing towards what Martin would like to see every week. In the second, more disjointedly, but still creating things. Some of them were good chances. I actually thought our players did well to carve some of them out. I though Smallbone’s technique for his shot was excellent. As with 2) and 3) I’m left wondering how many more chances we would have created, killing the game off early had we set up to play that way.

5 – A check of the stat says we had an xG of 3.3 to their 0.14 (sporting life). Assuming that’s a decently progressive way they are calculating that, then it’s something Martin can look back on and wonder why we didn’t put the game to bed. He can indeed point to the finishing for the chances we created, which should have been enough in any game. Critics will say that that could actually have been higher, had we bothered to drive at them. That having a lower xG, but actually getting 2 in the net would have been preferable to passing it around to create a better figure, but without the end result.

6 – The first half was clearly where Martin would like to get to in every game. But with the players being able to finish from the positions, this tactic creates. It would be nice to think that we will score lots, and in the Norwich game we did. But we’re very easily undone (poor passing, our own corners, no fullbacks etc etc), so it’s not something I’d count on.

7 – Sulemana definitely looks very capable. It’s a shame that for the most part, he’s shackled in a tactic that allows teams so much time to reset. That said, he did get away a couple of times, and his short bursts cause problems even with defences set. Results meant Edozie didn’t get minutes, and to me he’s gone back to where he was at the start of the season. Decent dribbler, with little end product and positioning and passing issues. Hopefully, he’ll get minutes again to get him back up and improving again.

8 – 13 Lots of good possession play, particularly in the first half. Smallbone pins it all together with movement, while he and Arma provide lots of work rate. Stu is technically better, and Martin seems to be getting him towards his best again. I think both Stu and Charlie get caught with the tactic. They both like to be direct, but that risks giving it away, undoing the possession Martin wants to have. Charlie doesn’t have Stu’s awareness, so got put forward and central. That allows Stu to support others, and cover gaps. I’d see Charles more as our holding midfielder.

We’ve got a selection of players who all contribute different things, but none of whom quite covers two roles effectively enough to be certain picks.   

Adams is a support striker who has been stuck in multiple tactics for over 3 years, that don’t require a support striker. He normally gets his head down and does what he can. I saw a few runs of his not get picked up, because we’re just not that clinical to pick him out with this tactic yet, combined with some of his movement taking him out of good positions when they do come up, to support the overall passing move. Behind the scenes he’s now got yet another manager playing a tactic he’s not best suited for, demanding an all-in approach when Adams would have been quite happy to leave in the summer. Without doubting his commitment for a moment, that’s going to affect anyone. Point 15, about the armband is interesting though.

I agree about Adam Armstrong. As far as MartinBall is concerned, I think he’s vital to have on the pitch. The amount of ground he’s covered this season, just to close down the massive gaps that are left, gets him in alone. Not what he’s there for, but…

Good point about Manning covering for Sule. I’ll need to watch for that more, but it was certainly the case with Edozie earlier on (Stu had to do a covering job at points too for Edozie, which I thought worked well.)

14. There might be a bit of ironic humour around Baz being a fan favourite. 😊

16. Although it looks like a settled back line, it will be interesting when Martin-favourite Stephens comes back.

17. It came up in an earlier point, but I don’t think the Rotherham goalkeeper had to have one of the best performances of his life to keep us out. There’s still a bit of subjectivity and variance in things like xGs and other stats. He made good saves, but we were not all over them, in the sense that he was making a succession of world class saves, as we carved their defence apart. We created various chances often with Rotherham being back in numbers, as Martin’s tactic allows for.

18. Aribo’s build does belie a bit of his ability. He is glacial, and his ability to hold the ball up must be about the only similarity to Antonio. It certainly isn’t pace. 😊 He may actually suit being brought off the bench to play up front centrally in a Martin tactic that doesn’t mind opposition defences sitting back.  

19. I imagine there’s a lot of reasons for the reaction. The main one being the result in a results driven game. Recent history of the division and our relative size and resources indicate that we should be pushing towards the top of it.

Before the start of the season, and I was picking up snippets for a couple of days, I got the feeling SR were saying that it was an ongoing project where promotion wasn’t an absolute first season goal, but could take a few years. That was followed by a few more comments reinforcing that promotion was the goal (possibly thinking of season ticket sales).

I’m usually looking for 3 worse clubs in any season, I’d get nosebleeds when Ralph’s team was performing so far ahead of expectations. Not this season. I’d be expecting a solid promotion push. Not to be sitting wishing we’d got 2 more points against a relegation contender to keep us close to the outskirts of the playoffs. To cap off a week that a solid week that a promotion contender would expect to have. Not to need those points after a tactical disaster where we were found out by everyone we played against.

So frustration with where we are with that; with the style of play (which isn’t going anywhere) that has us in this position (which isn’t insurmountable, even if it is disappointing), SR’s philosophy (considering the cost of relegation and their dreadful January signings, isn’t the cash generator they thought) and year on year of different variations of the same. Our home record is appalling. People are going to express that in different ways.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

7 – Sulemana definitely looks very capable. It’s a shame that for the most part, he’s shackled in a tactic that allows teams so much time to reset. That said, he did get away a couple of times, and his short bursts cause problems even with defences set. Results meant Edozie didn’t get minutes, and to me he’s gone back to where he was at the start of the season. Decent dribbler, with little end product and positioning and passing issues. Hopefully, he’ll get minutes again to get him back up and improving again.

How about playing him down the middle, his pace would frighten most defences and he has the skills to make him unplayable

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

You're a customer. That's not to take away any emotional attachment to the club. You can have emotional attachments to shops etc. But clubs don't care about fans nor should they. Obviously they care about them collectively but if you or I just decided to stop going to games or engaging with the club in any way, do you think they'd care? Course not.

I love the club too but I'm happy in the knowledge that it's a one way feeling. They don't give a sh1t about me, nor should they.

I get the point you are making, but I'm a fan and nothing else. Sure, I spend money supporting the club, and yes, that makes me a customer, but I also spend money at Tesco etc, but I don't have any kind of emotional attachment to them, they are just stores. At the end of the day its just a word, but I'd rather be referred to as a fan than a customer. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Agree with you. I was really annoyed at full time but after sleeping on it, games like this do happen and we've played a lot better recently. I still think we should have enough to get into the playoffs which is about par for the season. 

I'd go further and say we DO have enough to get into the play-offs BUT not playing the way Martin is imposing on the team. We have quality players who know how to play at this level and above. Two or three may well be snapped up by Premier League clubs in January.  A home draw with the second to bottom team should be a wake-up call for Jason.  The owners now have a two-week break in which to rescue our club from joining Rotherham in a relegation struggle.  Think I'm joking?  7 points from the last 21 says otherwise. 

5 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I get the point you are making, but I'm a fan and nothing else. Sure, I spend money supporting the club, and yes, that makes me a customer, but I also spend money at Tesco etc, but I don't have any kind of emotional attachment to them, they are just stores. At the end of the day its just a word, but I'd rather be referred to as a fan than a customer. 

I'm happy to be referred to as either or actually both (since not all fans are customers ie people overseas who literally spend no money but want the club to do well casually). I respect and understand your view though.

13 minutes ago, OldNick said:

How about playing him down the middle, his pace would frighten most defences and he has the skills to make him unplayable

I can see him being marshalled more by 2-3 centre halves. Also, there's little in our style that releases players centrally to run in behind. Alcaraz as the same issue there. Our central players would be expected to psychically know when that ball is going to be played, and stay offside, as opposed to the ball being just one of dozens making its way across the park to gradually draw our opponents out of position. They would also be expected to play their part in such build up moves, as well as waiting for that killer ball. Che has put in yards all over, as part of build up. As a result, he's been nowhere to be seen for some of the better deliveries.

Our style likes shifting it to across and up the flank, allowing Sulemana to draw in and try to get past his full back. That may just be as good as place as it gets as things are.

On 08/10/2023 at 14:52, bangkoksaint said:

Just watching Brighton turn a comfortable 1-0 lead into a 2-1 deficit with excruciatingly awful defending whilst playing out from the back……imagine if we did that!!

Bet they didn't get booed off at half time

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Exeter Saint said:

In his post match interview Downes sounded rather puzzled by the booing. He needs to toughen up and get used to running the gauntlet at Sr Mary’s.

Says it all.

I get why there is a toxic atmosphere at times, but yesterday's game in isolation wasn't worthy of the reaction.  Disappointed not to win by 3 or 4, yes, disappointed with the performance??  Definitely not.

7 points from Leeds, Stoke and Rotherham is acceptable; 1 point at home to Rotherham isn't but the performance deserved better.  The 4 games prior to Leeds were not hitting the levels we should be.  Feels like we are progressing to me.  Time to take a breath and go again in 2 weeks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Says it all.

I get why there is a toxic atmosphere at times, but yesterday's game in isolation wasn't worthy of the reaction.  Disappointed not to win by 3 or 4, yes, disappointed with the performance??  Definitely not.

7 points from Leeds, Stoke and Rotherham is acceptable; 1 point at home to Rotherham isn't but the performance deserved better.  The 4 games prior to Leeds were not hitting the levels we should be.  Feels like we are progressing to me.  Time to take a breath and go again in 2 weeks.

sorry mate, we have to be winning 3 on the bounce when 2 of them are at home. That is what Leicester and Ipsiwch are doing, that is what we did last time in this league.

Talk about progress all you like, but we sit in midtable after starting the season strongly

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

sorry mate, we have to be winning 3 on the bounce when 2 of them are at home. That is what Leicester and Ipsiwch are doing, that is what we did last time in this league.

Talk about progress all you like, but we sit in midtable after starting the season strongly

You're not making sense... "have to be winning 3 on the bounce when 2 of them are at home", unless you meant to say we should be winning every game?  

Surely even the thickest of fans can see progress is being made following a frankly shit September (bar the last day) - can't they Alex?   

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

You're not making sense... "have to be winning 3 on the bounce when 2 of them are at home", unless you meant to say we should be winning every game?  

Surely even the thickest of fans can see progress is being made following a frankly shit September (bar the last day) - can't they Alex?   

Talk about progression. We beat QPR and sat 4th in the league, 2 points from the top

Now we just won 2 from 7, and you saying we are progressing?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Talk about progression. We beat QPR and sat 4th in the league, 2 points from the top

Now we just won 2 from 7, and you saying we are progressing?

Seemingly the thickest of fans are unable to see progression.  Thank you for your honesty. 

• Confused 2

8 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

So, only progression from your line in the sand...not from the start of the season

Yah, it's not as though you've framed your argument to suit your desire to bash the team.

Results are on an upward trend, like it or not.

1 point off the play offs at the October international break.

SaintsWeb Bingo; waiting on "Automatic spots is the aim" - despite many on here knowing that would be us over achieving - yes that was a statement made by a club official, I forget who, but when asked that question what is the "right" answer?  Of course the aim is high FFS, using it as a way of bashing the club is pathetic.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Yah, it's not as though you've framed your argument to suit your desire to bash the team.

Results are on an upward trend, like it or not.

1 point off the play offs at the October international break.

SaintsWeb Bingo; waiting on "Automatic spots is the aim" - despite many on here knowing that would be us over achieving - yes that was a statement made by a club official, I forget who, but when asked that question what is the "right" answer?  Of course the aim is high FFS, using it as a way of bashing the club is pathetic.

Not an upwards trend though is it?

First five games: 10 points

Last five games: 7 points

You can put the game in the middle (Leicester) either side, zero points either way.

There's no upward trend whatsoever. At a push, it's flat, or we have repaired from that dreadful run.

We shouldn't be using 4 straight defeats as a platform to start crowing about "upward trends" and using it to hype our manager as if he's some miracle worker. Absolutely fucking ridiculous.

We should never have been down there in the first place.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Not an upwards trend though is it?

First five games: 10 points

Last five games: 7 points

You can put the game in the middle (Leicester) either side, zero points either way.

There's no upward trend whatsoever. At a push, it's flat, or we have repaired from that dreadful run.

We shouldn't be using 4 straight defeats as a platform to start crowing about "upward trends" and using it to hype our manager as if he's some miracle worker. Absolutely fucking ridiculous.

We should never have been down there in the first place.

Yep, a minority of posters/fans seem determined to defend the indefensible, plus a few plants by the club (who are as subtle as a fart in church). It’s comparable to when Jeremy Corbyn posted that video at the end of 2019 opening with ‘well that was quite the year’ on the basis of a few more BO-stricken Trots signing on the member rolls. 

For younger posters, this what the forum was like in 2008/9 with entrenched posters, bitterness and PR plants lurking in plain sight. 

All we are missing is Richard Chorley and his pieces of silver lobbed at Rasmus.

One big difference - that was a post-parachute payments kindergarten squad of lower/non league lads plus Kelvin, Lallana, Surman, Morgan and McGoldrick before he became half decent. This season it’s the third biggest payroll in the league. Jan Poortvliet and Russell Martin have rather different resources to draw upon. Martin’s performing worse than George Burley was if a comparable resources comparison I’d being made. At least we had some wins and semi-consistency, 6-0 at Wolves etc before it went to shit the next season.

Burley also underperformed but there was clear improvement in some players eg Jones, Bale, Surman. I’d struggle to spot a first team player at SFC who has improved in recent memory. Look at Ryan Fraser - arrived taking on defenders and going at them, now a sidestep shuffler like the rest.

Edited by Gloucester Saint
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

The “hyping our manager as if he’s some miracle worker” is clearly from your curious little mind. 

1 hour ago, Gloucester Saint said:

Yep, a minority of posters/fans seem determined to defend the indefensible, plus a few plants by the club (who are as subtle as a fart in church). It’s comparable to when Jeremy Corbyn posted that video at the end of 2019 opening with ‘well that was quite the year’ on the basis of a few more BO-stricken Trots signing on the member rolls. 

For younger posters, this what the forum was like in 2008/9 with entrenched posters, bitterness and PR plants lurking in plain sight. 

All we are missing is Richard Chorley and his pieces of silver lobbed at Rasmus.

One big difference - that was a post-parachute payments kindergarten squad of lower/non league lads plus Kelvin, Lallana, Surman, Morgan and McGoldrick before he became half decent. This season it’s the third biggest payroll in the league. Jan Poortvliet and Russell Martin have rather different resources to draw upon. Martin’s performing worse than George Burley was if a comparable resources comparison I’d being made. At least we had some wins and semi-consistency, 6-0 at Wolves etc before it went to shit the next season.

Burley also underperformed but there was clear improvement in some players eg Jones, Bale, Surman. I’d struggle to spot a first team player at SFC who has improved in recent memory. Look at Ryan Fraser - arrived taking on defenders and going at them, now a sidestep shuffler like the rest.

Oh yah, absorooney, no place for middle ground here, extreme views only. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, notnowcato said:

The “hyping our manager as if he’s some miracle worker” is clearly from your curious little mind. 

You can't use four defeats in a row as a basis to then claim an "upward trend", sweetheart.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

Whatever darling  

7 points from 9 must be boiling your piss. 

After 2-12 aggregate from four defeats, two goals conceded in the first minute of two of them. 

You seem delighted with drawing versus a side who haven’t won away from home for a year and 23rd in the league. And with 80% possession there should be a fuck sight more chances and efforts on their goal. As for people lauding their goalkeeper, he did have a good game but it was hardly Kelvin at Leeds, peak Neville Southall at the Dell or Brad Friedel vs WGS’s Saints at SMS (now that WAS a show of shot stopping because Saints truly peppered the Blackburn goal from all angles, and didn’t need 39 slow passes to work up to it). At least he was free - Bazanu statistically the worst in the next league down and he cost £12m. Think about that. Brilliant business by the club again.

Yeah, those four white flag displays - and Ipswich should have been 0-4 with the woodwork and two sitters even Che could have scored - boiled 99% of fans piss frankly. Only an abnormal few seemingly who weren’t. 

Thing is, you’re actually a fan and not one of the infiltrators who have popped up. At least they’re getting paid to spout garbage on Rasmus’s behalf. 

Edited by Gloucester Saint
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, Gloucester Saint said:

After 2-12 aggregate from four defeats, two goals conceded in the first minute of two of them. 

You seem delighted with drawing versus a side who haven’t won away from home for a year and 23rd in the league. And with 80% possession there should be a fuck sight more chances and efforts on their goal. As for people lauding their goalkeeper, he did have a good game but it was hardly Kelvin at Leeds, peak Neville Southall at the Dell or Brad Friedel vs WGS’s Saints at SMS (now that WAS a show of shot stopping because Saints truly peppered the Blackburn goal from all angles, and didn’t need 39 slow passes to work up to it). At least he was free - Bazanu statistically the worst in the next league down and he cost £12m. Think about that. Brilliant business by the club again.

Yeah, those four white flag displays - and Ipswich should have been 0-4 with the woodwork and two sitters even Che could have scored - boiled 99% of fans piss frankly. Only an abnormal few seemingly who weren’t. 

Thing is, you’re actually a fan and not one of the infiltrators who have popped up. At least they’re getting paid to spout garbage on Rasmus’s behalf. 

It’s like the last 9 days never happened. 
I’ve been realistic in my views. I get that we all have our own opinions and maybe my expectations are not as demanding as some but I have genuinely enjoyed a lot of the football we’ve played and been pissed off with some that has been dished up too. 
Patience is key here. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, notnowcato said:

Everyone that defends Martin & sports republic on here seems to have this same smug attitude 

“I know more about football than you pathetic little peasants, look how knowledgeable and patient I am”

You’re fucking embarrassing and deluded. His style is shit and the team is underperforming. Fans are right to say it’s nowhere near good enough. The second half of Rotherham was fucking dreadful.

We have put up with too much shit for too long from these charlatans. I don’t like the thought of changing so soon, so fair play give him a bit longer but if he doesn’t get us firing and winning games after the international break he has to go at Christmas  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

Everyone that defends Martin & sports republic on here seems to have this same smug attitude 

“I know more about football than you pathetic little peasants, look how knowledgeable and patient I am”

You’re fucking embarrassing and deluded. His style is shit and the team is underperforming. Fans are right to say it’s nowhere near good enough. The second half of Rotherham was fucking dreadful.

We have put up with too much shit for too long from these charlatans. I don’t like the thought of changing so soon, so fair play give him a bit longer but if he doesn’t get us firing and winning games after the international break he has to go at Christmas  

Maybe I know more about football than you, maybe I don’t, I couldn’t give 2 shits. Maybe I like my Chai oat milk latte served at 85 degrees with a side shot of turmeric and ginger, maybe I don’t, it doesn’t fucking matter. 

I’m happy to be in for the long haul, if it works it could be glorious, if it doesn’t - in the grand scheme of things- it really doesn’t fucking matter. This season has been far from perfect so far but so has the last 40 odd years of supporting Saints. My opinion from what I’ve seen to date of RM is that he’s worth sticking with, personally think he’ll at least get this season and more than likely longer  

It’s not worth blowing a gasket over. Chill. 

• Haha 1