Saints 1-1 Rotherham - Match Thread

Lee On Solent Saint

Win this one and we should be in the playoffs off the back of a three-game winning run as the international break comes. Home clean sheet would be a wonderful way to round off the past week. Pretty sure Martin said they're targeting having Ross Stewart available after this international break too. How timely that could be

• Like 6

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints v Rotherham - Saturday 3pm
  • Lighthouse pinned this topic
5 minutes ago, saintant said:

Should be one of our easier games so I'd give Bree a try at right back and switch KWP to the left. I've not been impressed by Manning who gives the ball away in dangerous areas far too often.

Whilst I understand the sentiment, I wouldn't f**k around with a defence which has finally found its way to conceding just once in two games, and from a set piece no less.

• Like 26

7 minutes ago, saintant said:

Should be one of our easier games so I'd give Bree a try at right back and switch KWP to the left. I've not been impressed by Manning who gives the ball away in dangerous areas far too often.

Not sure I agree with the logic of switching probably the best right back in the league to left back. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dan Johnson said:

Hoping we come out of this game with a positive goal difference. 4-0/5-0 I hope 🤞

This. We need a big won to fix our awful GD and also to give us a huge confidence boost. If we can get a 4 or 5-0 win as you say, then we can be back to 0 or +1 GD, which is still poor for a side that will have won 2 more than they have lost. GD could and probably will be a big factor for 6th place come seasons end. I don't think we have any chance of being top 2, so play offs at best, and for that we need to get the GD back up in line with the others.

Should win, a third win in a row for us would be huge. We have the quality to go and rack up a win by a fair margin. BUT, as we know in this league, it's all about moments and fine margins. If we have a couple of fuck ups, and struggle to take our chances then it can go the other way.

We should have far too much for them.

Would go same team unless there are any injury concerns. We finally have found a balance all over the pitch. I did wonder if we didn't bring Adams on last night becuase he's due to start on Saturday, or just whether Martin thought it was an opportunity to give Mara minutes.

11 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Not beating Rotherham at home should be a sackable offence.

They'll sit back and play for a 0-0, as long as we can focus on attacking quickly and have excellent movement up front we should win easily.

We need to score first, and early. Do that, and it should be a comfortable victory. 

6 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Should win, a third win in a row for us would be huge. We have the quality to go and rack up a win by a fair margin. BUT, as we know in this league, it's all about moments and fine margins. If we have a couple of fuck ups, and struggle to take our chances then it can go the other way.

Would go same team unless there are any injury concerns. We finally have found a balance all over the pitch. I did wonder if we didn't bring Adams on last night becuase he's due to start on Saturday, or just whether Martin thought it was an opportunity to give Mara minutes.

I would rather stick a deck chair up front than Adams. Shocking player with a stinking attitude.

Hoping for the same starting line up but the subs need to be more impactful as last night they were all shit. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

I would rather stick a deck chair up front than Adams. Shocking player with a stinking attitude.

Hoping for the same starting line up but the subs need to be more impactful as last night they were all shit. 

Bit harsh on both counts.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Saint_Ash said:

Rotherham has won one game all season and drawn two. We have to be looking to win comfortably by 3 or more, arrogant yes, but we should be if we are going to get into the auto places. 

Stick with the same line up.

Rotherham haven't won away for 11 months apparently, they must be due one soon 

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

how does he have a stinking attitude?

very strange comment

As for starting line up, I am not sure having alcaraz in the hole really works.  Until the goal last night, we offered zero goal threat, but scored (again) on our first shot on target. This against a team with monumental injuries...so hardly their best 11 

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 2

I think Rotherham have beaten us in our last three meetings, had a couple of awful cup trips up there. 

Just checked and we haven't won any of our last 5 against them, last Saints win coming in 1965, we must be due one. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Block 43 of the Northam now open to home fans, hopefully last couple of wins encourages a few more to go, Rotherham will bring very few so a chance for Saints to have both "ends" behind the goals 

Cat C pricing so even the posh halfway line padded seats are a decent price in block 31 

They've only won 1 game so far and have a GD of -11. As long as we carry on with the more solid defence and midfield we've had for the last 2 games then we *should* beat them easily. A comfortable scoreline to overcome our poor GD and put us right in the top 6 mix would be most welcome.

50 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

If you’re counting cup games, didn’t Jones do both?

Good shout January 2023, but that was FA Cup, league Cup, league. 

3 straight league wins must be a while ago? 

We should be smashing the likes of Rotherham with the team RM has at his disposal. I mean 3-5 goals ruthless smash (more would be greedy). No excuses otherwise all that hard fought aggression in the Stoke game will be for little gain.  RM is not off the hook yet IMO…still needs to prove he’s got the winning formula. What I really don’t want to see is the team sitting back on a 1-0 lead.

• Like 1

I agree on paper we should be netting plenty in this next game, but to be honest i would be happy with 1-0. From where we have come from, it would just be nice to see us sailing a steady ship for a while, building a run of positive results and then over time really looking to step it up. a collection of clean sheets would please me more than the odd game where we score a hat full. At this stage of the season, when teams are not too spread out then 3 points per game soon gets you up the table. the goal difference looks after itself if you are winning enough games.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

how does he have a stinking attitude?

very strange comment

As for starting line up, I am not sure having alcaraz in the hole really works.  Until the goal last night, we offered zero goal threat, but scored (again) on our first shot on target. This against a team with monumental injuries...so hardly their best 11 

He has looked uninterested and frankly rubbish since the deadline, which indicates he was only playing well beforehand to get a move. That’s the look from the outside at least.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

We should be smashing the likes of Rotherham with the team RM has at his disposal. I mean 3-5 goals ruthless smash (more would be greedy). No excuses otherwise all that hard fought aggression in the Stoke game will be for little gain.  RM is not off the hook yet IMO…still needs to prove he’s got the winning formula. What I really don’t want to see is the team sitting back on a 1-0 lead.

So you're looking for a winning formula (you can say algorithm, if you dare) and you want to see us going all out for more than 1 goal with the greater risk of conceding.  Fuck me, who'd be a football manager.  

PS.  Russell says that moon on a stick you asked for is in the post.

5 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

In his interview with Adam Blackmore he said Mara had trained really well, was super fit and raring to go, and that he hadn't had the opportunities historically that he perhaps might of done. It sounded like Russell felt he owed it to him. There was a slight vibe of 'Che hasn't done enough recently to justify his place', but this was derailed by Che walking past at that moment so Russ had to blow smoke up his arse!

Radio Solent Interview

2 hours ago, JRM said:

Just had a look.  Under Ralph finishing with the 2-0 against Newcastle to go top...

25/10/20 - Everton (H) - 2-0
1/11/20 - Villa (A) - 4-3
6/11/20 - Newcastle (H) - 2-0

• Like 1

I suspect there will be rotation, but I'd be keeping the back 4 the same at least and maybe just bring in Adams for Alcaraz to give the latter a rest as he looked knackered towards the end on Tuesday. Then again, we've got the international break after this which Charly won't be a part of so he can recover after that. Maybe Edozie or Fraser in for Sully too as I don't think he's ready to start 3 games in a week yet but best not to tinker too much. 

Their away record at this level is laughably bad (haven't won in the last 20) but shouldn't take anything for granted in the Championship. 

16 minutes ago, Saint_lambden said:

I suspect there will be rotation, but I'd be keeping the back 4 the same at least and maybe just bring in Adams for Alcaraz to give the latter a rest as he looked knackered towards the end on Tuesday. Then again, we've got the international break after this which Charly won't be a part of so he can recover after that. Maybe Edozie or Fraser in for Sully too as I don't think he's ready to start 3 games in a week yet but best not to tinker too much. 

Their away record at this level is laughably bad (haven't won in the last 20) but shouldn't take anything for granted in the Championship. 

Which means only one thing.......

We should win though, 3 wins in a row would see us in the top 6 again you'd think. Decent place to be going into the international break with Hopefully Stewart and Stephens back after it.

5 hours ago, JRM said:

Block 43 of the Northam now open to home fans, hopefully last couple of wins encourages a few more to go, Rotherham will bring very few so a chance for Saints to have both "ends" behind the goals 

Cat C pricing so even the posh halfway line padded seats are a decent price in block 31 

I’m taking advantage of kids for £1 to take my 6 and 4 year olds to their first game. 

Hats off to the club for this. I appreciate some fans might not want a load of young kids in the ground. It probably doesn’t help with the atmosphere. But hopefully it helps make my two lifelong saints fans (hard to do, now I live in London)

• Like 16

2 hours ago, JRM said:

Fall 2020. Empty stadiums.. The Covid season.

25 Oct 2020  Southampton 2–0 Everton

1 Nov 2020  Aston Villa 3–4 Southampton

6 Nov 2020  Southampton 2–0 Newcastle United

Edited by SaintTex

A good win to nil should be the first two objectives. Do that and some of the RM doubters (myself included) may start to believe that he can turn this around and at least get us to the playoffs.  A home win at the very least, anything less will be very disappointing.

When we came up in second place in 1977-78 our first ten games were: W:6, D:1, L:3, we are currently: W:5, D:1, L:4, so us old romantics can at least live in hope. 

We can't lose many more games and remain serious about promotion this term, and certainly can't afford to lose at home to Rotherham.  I can't see us doing so, prediction Saints 3  Rotherham 0, and our fragile tartan terror Rod Stewart in to neuter the tigers after the international inset week.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SaintTex said:

Fall 2020. Empty stadiums.. The Covid season.

25 Oct 2020  Southampton 2–0 Everton

1 Nov 2020  Aston Villa 3–4 Southampton

6 Nov 2020  Southampton 2–0 Newcastle United

Thanks, covid football didn't really seem real, after that we went top of the league didn't we, strange times! 

5 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

They have a few injuries and horrific away from home....0-1 then lol

Let's see how they get on tonight, anyone sad enough to watch their game v Bristol City on sky and report back? 

Edited by JRM

35 minutes ago, JRM said:

Let's see how they get on tonight, anyone sad enough to watch their game v Bristol City on sky and report back? 

Think I’d prefer that to the inevitable Geordie love fest.  Fans deserve CL…..love a number 9….. bare breasted hardy souls…..chopped up journalists

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

After some advice please. Coming up to the game from Dorset and expect to be in not long before kick off (first antenatal class in the morning). Any sensible parking suggestions where I'm likely to get a space and be able to get over to the stadium in under 20 mins? Getting away afterwards isn't a major concern. 

4 hours ago, PJ said:

I’m taking advantage of kids for £1 to take my 6 and 4 year olds to their first game. 

Hats off to the club for this. I appreciate some fans might not want a load of young kids in the ground. It probably doesn’t help with the atmosphere. But hopefully it helps make my two lifelong saints fans (hard to do, now I live in London)

It 100% works. I have no idea why clubs don’t do this more often. 

I’ve been Saints ( Chandlers Ford Boy) since I can remember.

Lived in Bristol for over 40 years, took my boys to watch their local Gas when they were very young in the Blackthorn as it was then for a quid. 

They are committed Gasheads and both 17 and 22 now. Absolutely will not defect from their first experience of a football match ( plus it’s their home town I guess).

Always gone to countless Saints games at home with them even now.

Still Gasheads despite their old man trying to turn them to the Saints. 

Edited by Saint Gifford
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

Not beating Rotherham at home should be a sackable offence.

They'll sit back and play for a 0-0, as long as we can focus on attacking quickly and have excellent movement up front we should win easily.

Fear not, I have a new "Should Russell Martin be sacked?" poll locked and loaded, just in case.

• Haha 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-1 Rotherham - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic