Saints 1-1 Rotherham - Match Thread

Lee On Solent Saint

Sorry - I'm aware that this gets asked all the time, but what time do the players usually arrive at the ground? Bringing a little one to his first game who is buzzing to meet, against all odds, Gavin Bazunu.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, notnowcato said:

So you're looking for a winning formula (you can say algorithm, if you dare) and you want to see us going all out for more than 1 goal with the greater risk of conceding.  Fuck me, who'd be a football manager.  

PS.  Russell says that moon on a stick you asked for is in the post.

You ok hun?

Guest Rotherham podcaster on the Saints podcast forecasting a 4-0 win for Saints...or a miracle 0-1 win for Rotherham - go figure! Hope for the former, although mindful they beat Norwich and we have a habit of losing games we should win. Nah...4-0 sounds right to me, or 4-1 given we still look wobbly defending set pieces, notably our own corners!

2 hours ago, CWD said:

Sorry - I'm aware that this gets asked all the time, but what time do the players usually arrive at the ground? Bringing a little one to his first game who is buzzing to meet, against all odds, Gavin Bazunu.

Be careful, your kid’ll probably slip past him and slam into a net.

I jest, I jest!

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, UpweySaint said:

After some advice please. Coming up to the game from Dorset and expect to be in not long before kick off (first antenatal class in the morning). Any sensible parking suggestions where I'm likely to get a space and be able to get over to the stadium in under 20 mins? Getting away afterwards isn't a major concern. 

I'd suggest the Marlands car park, usually plenty of spaces even on matchdays but could be slow city centre traffic getting to it. Once parked a brisk 15min walk from there.

Edit: as you approach the city centre I'm sure there are signs saying how many spaces available at various car parks or you can check online.

Edited by TheAlehouseBrawlers
Just a thought...

9 hours ago, InvictaSaint said:

Lost tonight to a 95th minute goal at home to Bristol City….

I thought they were a bit unlucky there and didn't look that bad, don't think this will be easy on Saturday depends on whether we take our chances (Leeds first half) or waste them (Stoke second half) 

16 hours ago, PJ said:

I’m taking advantage of kids for £1 to take my 6 and 4 year olds to their first game. 

Hats off to the club for this. I appreciate some fans might not want a load of young kids in the ground. It probably doesn’t help with the atmosphere. But hopefully it helps make my two lifelong saints fans (hard to do, now I live in London)

I'm doing the same going in the family area, certainly better than having empty seats, hope they enjoy the day. Weather looks good so they'll avoid getting soaked just need Saints to win and they'll be hooked. Danger is we lose and they want to be Rotherham fans instead. 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, UpweySaint said:

After some advice please. Coming up to the game from Dorset and expect to be in not long before kick off (first antenatal class in the morning). Any sensible parking suggestions where I'm likely to get a space and be able to get over to the stadium in under 20 mins? Getting away afterwards isn't a major concern. 

It certainly isn’t. You’ve done your bit. Time to relax now 😂 

1 hour ago, JRM said:

I'm doing the same going in the family area, certainly better than having empty seats, hope they enjoy the day. Weather looks good so they'll avoid getting soaked just need Saints to win and they'll be hooked. Danger is we lose and they want to be Rotherham fans instead. 

See you there - that's my new home too ... different times!

I dare not predict this game as last time i said we would win, we got stuffed. But in reality we should win this by at least 3-1. More would be better of course to get the GD back to normal. But if they come and park the bus, will we be able to break them down? I think we need to go a bit more gun ho with the line up and have as many forward/creative players as possible.

On 03/10/2023 at 23:58, notnowcato said:

Not sure I agree with the logic of switching probably the best right back in the league to left back. 

This, and yet successive managers kept doing it. Unimpressed by Manning tbh and still think letting Perraud go was a huge cock up, given that a perennially unfit Larios is our only recognised back up

• Like 3

Some Rotherham stats:

xG Against - 2nd most in the league (1.62). Actual goals against is 21, worst in the league.

xG For - joint least in the league (0.74). Actual goals for is 9, third worst in the league. 

5 away games played, 5 defeats, scoring just twice and conceding 13 goals. The only team in the league without an away point.

Meanwhile Saints have the second highest xG For in the league (1.85). Actual goals for is 1.6 per game. 

I want and expect to see a comfortable win here, opportunity to close on the poor goal difference. There is no better team to play at the moment. Unlike Boro, it’s not a better side that was clearly going to turn a corner. 3-0 Saints.

• Like 4

I am confident my 2-0 prediction will finally come true this weekend.

See Charles come back in for Smallbone, would like to have a centre forward start for this one not false 9, maybe rest the armstrong's.

Not sure of Che is fit but I'd like to see Mara start as a CF if he isn't as he "could" link up well with Charly and Sully as they seem to try and attack more creatively anyway so why not try them together as I would guess they would be on similar wavelengths.

And before I get the "he's useless" etc he's in the French u21 team and they seem to know talent and Russ seems to like him and he's been doing well in training according to him so I say reward that.

The stop start opportunities these young outfield players are getting isn't helping too much, I'd like to give Charles and Mara a full game occasionally and do like wise with other like SAA etc over the coming months.

• Like 1

The sort of game we should be stamping our authority on. If we have any hope of promotion this season, I'd expect us to really dominate this in terms of scoreline, possession etc. 

After a well earned great week, it'd be great for us to start fast with an early goal (or 2) then settle in working on attacking patterns etc. 

Think we'll need to score more than 1 if we're to win - Would expect them to get one from a set piece. 

Wouldn't change a winning team, especially with international break up coming. 

I've placed the "lucky" bet on Rotherham to win so omens look good.

I'm expecting a fairly tight game where we have the vast majority of the ball but struggle to create clear cut opportunities so I'll be happy with a win of any kind.  I'd also bring Charles in for this because he needs the minutes and because he looks our best bet to score from corners.  I think we'll see lots of corners in our favour.  Would also like to see Edozie get some time whether as a sub or starting - he was looking pretty good before he was dropped so I'd be looking to play him before Fraser (at least).

1 hour ago, revolution saint said:

I've placed the "lucky" bet on Rotherham to win so omens look good.

I'm expecting a fairly tight game where we have the vast majority of the ball but struggle to create clear cut opportunities so I'll be happy with a win of any kind.  I'd also bring Charles in for this because he needs the minutes and because he looks our best bet to score from corners.  I think we'll see lots of corners in our favour.  Would also like to see Edozie get some time whether as a sub or starting - he was looking pretty good before he was dropped so I'd be looking to play him before Fraser (at least).

Yep.  Defence unchanged, Charles as CDM, Charlie or Stu and Flynn as CAMs, pace and trickery out wide from Sule and Edozie, Adam A as a false-ish 9.  

Just now, Wade Garrett said:

Sulemana will leave the pitch James Brown style with a coat over his shoulders, on the hour mark after totally ripping those boring northerners a new one and scoring a hat-trick.

Stick with the same side.  Fuck rotation.

You cannot do that in the Championship with so many games  unfortunately. Some of the guys get tired as they are not Tennis players.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, goodymatt said:

Some Rotherham stats:

5 away games played, 5 defeats, scoring just twice and conceding 13 goals. The only team in the league without an away point.

Yes. The sort of stat that acts as quite a disincentive to go … we know how Saints can be the most obliging opponents 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, rooney said:

You cannot do that in the Championship with so many games  unfortunately. Some of the guys get tired as they are not Tennis players.

I never buy in to this 'they're fine tuned machines' who can't play midweek and then again on the weekend. Anyhow, they've two weeks to recover after Rotherham.

26 minutes ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

I never buy in to this 'they're fine tuned machines' who can't play midweek and then again on the weekend. Anyhow, they've two weeks to recover after Rotherham.

The problem is “they’re not fine tuned machines” they rarely play without some knock or another, some knocks need managing more than others. 

• Like 1

Top things Rotherham is famous for..

Saints signing Gerry Forest

a rare start for Augustin Delgado when they beat us 2-1 in the FA Cup in 2004

someone not being from New York City but from Rotherham (if you know you know)

Being used in some of the scenes of the famous film "ID" based on the Southampton DEF

Jamie Oliver trying and failing to make the fatties there thin with healthy cooking

The chuckle brothers

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Top things Rotherham is famous for..

Saints signing Gerry Forest

a rare start for Augustin Delgado when they beat us 2-1 in the FA Cup in 2004

someone not being from San Francisco but from Rotherham

Being used in some of the scenes of the famous film "ID" based on the Southampton DEF

Jamie Oliver trying and failing to make the fatties there thin with healthy cooking

The chuckle brothers

Didn’t Phil Kite make a rare appearance for us there in a(nother) cup upset ?

Seem to recall he clobbered Mark Wright or one of CB’s putting them out of action when coming for a cross. 

18 hours ago, rooney said:

But Alcaraz s a tennis player, isn't he? His problem now is that he will become the new Gaston Ramirez, flying back to South America for every international break and not being ready to play when he gets back

Rotation is not needed when an international break immediately follows a third match. It would make even less sense nowadays with 5 subs per game, attacking players seldom play 90 minutes in any game these days.

We have to go balls out for the win with goals goals goals and not just do a Saints and turn up expecting to win because they are lowly, fanny around and end up losing. Hope Martin has them in the right frame of mind for this. Be ruthless and attack with pace, right from the start. Would be a massive shame to underestimate them, or somehow not be fired up, with a group expecting to win. With this bunch you can never be sure.

Don't like some of the arrogance/complacency on this thread thinking we just need to turn up to smash them by 4 or 5. We should know better with our appalling home record of the last few years, I don't feel any confidence going into a home game and I expect Rotherham will mostly pile 11 men behind the ball and be hard to break down which is when we struggle the most. Obviously it would be great to get a big win and start chipping away at that goal difference but I'll take any kind of win to round off the week and send us into the international break happy. I'll go 2-1 Saints.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

But Alcaraz s a tennis player, isn't he? His problem now is that he will become the new Gaston Ramirez, flying back to South America for every international break and not being ready to play when he gets back

Rotation is not needed when an international break immediately follows a third match. It would make even less sense nowadays with 5 subs per game, attacking players seldom play 90 minutes in any game these days.

To be honest I think the south american's just get on chartered jets together nowadays so its not like he's flying economy class.

He might fly normally on the way there and then become mates with Fernandez at chelsea and catch a ride back with him.

3 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

To be honest I think the south american's just get on chartered jets together nowadays so its not like he's flying economy class.

He might fly normally on the way there and then become mates with Fernandez at chelsea and catch a ride back with him.

Not sure Gaston flew economy, whether he goes cattle class or something else is not really the issue. But sure things may have improved, we'll see, just hope Charley doesn't end up with a dead leg.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, The Kraken said:

Fucking hell, that boy has no luck.

I know, someone should have filled in that rabbit hole, down there for two days apparently, eventually one of the Marchwood locals had two send two ferrets and his Jack Russel to get him out.

• Like 1

Martin Presser...

• The emphasis has not changed. Learn as much as we can and recover
  • Always the same, like when we lost, nothing changed now
  • lads in really good spirits, in a really good place
  • most players used in the games, and they all know they have a chance
  • We have to be demanding to finish the week off, really looking forward to it
  • The worst trap is to assume we will beat Rotherham. That is external, but not inside the camp
  • the players are giving everything this week.
  • We are aware of the expectation from the fans tomorrow, but Rotherham are fighting for their lives
  • No easy game in the championship, we know this
  • They will fight for everything and make it really tough for us, they will have little external expectation, and that is dangerous
  • we must approach it the right way on the pitch
  • They are a team with good experience in the league, they did a great job last season and have a brilliant mentality
  • we are aware of the threat they pose, we must be ready for their hard work
  • We defended well in the last 2 games. But that is part of us looking after the ball better also
  • we found much better balance in the way we play in the last 2 games. pressing has been outstanding
  • Like 4

47 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Martin Presser...

• The emphasis has not changed. Learn as much as we can and recover
  • Always the same, like when we lost, nothing changed now
  • lads in really good spirits, in a really good place
  • most players used in the games, and they all know they have a chance
  • We have to be demanding to finish the week off, really looking forward to it
  • The worst trap is to assume we will beat Rotherham. That is external, but not inside the camp
  • the players are giving everything this week.
  • We are aware of the expectation from the fans tomorrow, but Rotherham are fighting for their lives
  • No easy game in the championship, we know this
  • They will fight for everything and make it really tough for us, they will have little external expectation, and that is dangerous
  • we must approach it the right way on the pitch
  • They are a team with good experience in the league, they did a great job last season and have a brilliant mentality
  • we are aware of the threat they pose, we must be ready for their hard work
  • We defended well in the last 2 games. But that is part of us looking after the ball better also
  • we found much better balance in the way we play in the last 2 games. pressing has been outstanding

No mention of being brave.  I'm disappointed - we haven't had enough emphasis on being brave this season and ultimately it's the only way to win games.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Yorkshire Saint said:

Well that wasn't a very enlightening pre match conference with Russell.....

My thoughts as well. Was Adam the only media rep one there? That's two weeks in a row with questions only from him.

He doesn't really ask questions as such just sets up prompts for Russell Martin to engage in aimless waffle.

It's becoming a right old snooze fest.

• Haha 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-1 Rotherham - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic