Saints 1-1 Rotherham - Match Thread

Lee On Solent Saint

What got us nowhere LOS was first and foremost poor finishing. We created more than enough chances using the system you clearly disapprove of yet our final ball/ shot was rubbish.

Maybe my opinion on that is absolute nonsense. You do not need to agree and you don’t. That’s absolutely fair and all well and good. 😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

RM does not have a planB. I wonder if the board have a plan B when we reach the new year and are still wallowing in the depths of the Championship. They have proved they are not dynamic owners, seemingly not doing a lot to arrest the slide into mediocrity. We have a squad that is more than capable of doing well, you can see that in all too rare flashes so far, when they play a more simple, dare I say direct, style of football and yet I feel, as do most I think, we are being hamstrung by RM’s wannabe Barcelona/Man City tactics. Despite what I’ve said above about the squad they are not at that level and neither is the manager. 

Surely someone at board level must see what is going on and has to turn round to the manager and say it’s not good enough? Still a long way to go but one would hope that it’s not enough to wander through games, a win here and there, draw a few, get slaughtered now and then, finish up 14th and pat ourselves on the back that we made more passes than anyone else in the league? (Unfortunately as I write this I’m reminded that this manager’s previous triumphs were 10th and 15th in this league so as I said before it could be said that he is performing to his level)

I’m sorry, but something has to give before we become lost in the dross of the also rans who inhabit the lower echelons of the EFL.

Edited by Oldandtired
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

I think plan B was to recruit a prolific goalscorer. Which is what we did. He’s not fit yet. Let him play. We needed agoal scorer  two years ago! 

That is not plan B, ffs....Che Adams has scored more championship goals ina single season than the new lad. 

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

I think plan B was to recruit a prolific goalscorer. Which is what we did. He’s not fit yet. Let him play. We needed agoal scorer  two years ago! 

So plan B was to sign a striker who wouldn’t be fit for 2 months and sit back and watch the gap to the top 2 grow wider and wider? 

If that’s the case it’s no surprise plan A wasn’t working. 

• Like 5

I think plan A ( if such a thing actually exists) was predicated on small technical nippy forwards- false “9” etc  and no need for big old fashioned cf. 

For me, if “ Plan b” exists it was to recruit a conventional cf to replace Che who was supposedly leaving in the transfer window ). We did that. 

We also did it unsuccessfully when recruiting Paul. 

Im not certain that this way of looking at it is all they helpful but I’m just optioning that if a plan b exists it’s already been put into motion with that recruitment. 

I don’t think plan b related to changing the default style of play- just the EAP if you line ( emergency action Plan) if our normal way is not working. 

It’s RM’s job to discern when is the time to switch plays. Currently a bit hit and Miss is the verdict - but without that new CF he does not have that option anyways. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

I honestly don't think it's to early to say that Martin isnt the right fit for us..... yes he's better than Jones but is that really the only bar we've set.... I am worried by his after match comments and the style of play just isn't "brave" despite him bleating on that we are, like Jones he doesn't take criticism well and deflects it back to the fans.  He deserves a fair chance so let's see where we are at Xmas but it's not looking like he can get the consistency needed 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Mr X said:

I honestly don't think it's to early to say that Martin isnt the right fit for us..... yes he's better than Jones but is that really the only bar we've set.... I am worried by his after match comments and the style of play just isn't "brave" despite him bleating on that we are, like Jones he doesn't take criticism well and deflects it back to the fans.  He deserves a fair chance so let's see where we are at Xmas but it's not looking like he can get the consistency needed 

if you look at his record at previous  clubs he’s performing at par. there’s nothing there to suggest he can deliver on average 2 points plus per game 

• Like 9
  • Sad 1

Russell Martin is a pussy. You’re in a big job Russ, this ain’t Swansea or MK Dons. I know you failed at both of those, but you can’t fail here and expect to get away with it. 

Our points return, goal difference, games won and position are all an absolute disgrace for a squad with the quality it has. Too many of you are starting to believe the ‘pleased to be here’ vibes from the board. Except that doesn’t quite wash in this shit league. 

• Like 8

Do performances reflect results? Are we creating chances versus conversion. Are we conceding goals through unforced errors against opposition skill? Do we see improvements in tactics and individual player's.performances

I suspect we are about 40% over the 11 games. Not good enough given the talent at our disposal

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Russell Martin is a pussy. You’re in a big job Russ, this ain’t Swansea or MK Dons. I know you failed at both of those, but you can’t fail here and expect to get away with it. 

Our points return, goal difference, games won and position are all an absolute disgrace for a squad with the quality it has. Too many of you are starting to believe the ‘pleased to be here’ vibes from the board. Except that doesn’t quite wash in this shit league. 

Arguing with fans after the game isn't a good look. Just walk away. You can address that after the game in the press conferences, which he seems to do at every turn anyway. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Polegategavin243 said:

The best, most sensible and accurate assessment of our team I have seen on this forum for a long time.

Results seem to trigger some incredible reactions.

The vitriol against Martin is embarrassing, we’ve watched our team pass around under earlier managers but with no end result, but you can’t claim yesterday we had no plan.

I agree, that the improving performances are really encouraging, and the inter linking and play is really effective at creating chances, as proved yesterday by the number of good openings we created. Unfortunately it was a bad day at the office in front of goal, as we consistently lacked composure or met an inspired keeper every time we created the chance.

The performance demonstrates the ability and the team are showing much more commitment and fight, which was lacking during our poor run.

Everyone feels disappointment over the result yesterday, but look at it another way, 17 points over 11 games will result in 70+ points at the end of the season, but this included a really poor run of 4 defeats in a row, so without that, and based on 7 points from the last 3 games we would reach 100+ points by the end of the season.

So based on one result yesterday, we want the manager changed. Some fans are so knee jerk it is unreal. I for one am excited where Martin can take us this season. Let’s enjoy the ride and back the team and manager.

So you want to ignore the abject results and claim without them we'd somehow reach 100 points! Time to extract your head from the sand so you can observe what's really going on.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

I think plan A ( if such a thing actually exists) was predicated on small technical nippy forwards- false “9” etc  and no need for big old fashioned cf. 

For me, if “ Plan b” exists it was to recruit a conventional cf to replace Che who was supposedly leaving in the transfer window ). We did that. 

We also did it unsuccessfully when recruiting Paul. 

Im not certain that this way of looking at it is all they helpful but I’m just optioning that if a plan b exists it’s already been put into motion with that recruitment. 

I don’t think plan b related to changing the default style of play- just the EAP if you line ( emergency action Plan) if our normal way is not working. 

It’s RM’s job to discern when is the time to switch plays. Currently a bit hit and Miss is the verdict - but without that new CF he does not have that option anyways. 

Ok Rasmus, whatever you say :mcinnes:

• Like 4

We were comprehensively out managed by the Rotherham boss. He knew that his players were vastly inferior across the park and made excellent tactical changes and personnel substitutions to achieve a draw when it was looking as if they could be overrun. We shouldn’t overlook him if we have to get rid of Martin. 

Edited by adrian lord
  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, adrian lord said:

We were comprehensively out managed by the Rotherham boss. He knew that his players were vastly inferior across the park and made excellent tactical changes and personnel substitutions to achieve a draw when it was looking as if they could be overrun. We shouldn’t overlook him if we have to get rid of Martin. 

Fair argument. He really got the most out of his limited players. Im not sure that limited ambition approach will be enough to keep them up but it worked yesterday.

A score line of 4-1 would not have been unreasonable however and I don’t think we would be saying that about him today.

Nor would we have the emotive comments on here about how bad inflexible RM, the play, etc is. It would be all about how great 9/9 points are. Those missed chances went in against Leeds not yesterday though. Simple as that. We played better though. IMO. 

If you’d offered me 7 points and unbeaten from next three matches 3 games ago I think arms would be snatched off. We’d had a terrible run of defeats. Yet here we are and the sky has fallen in because we “only” drew the last match against lowly Rotherham - yet it’s obvious (but not to the haters) we are playing better. 

Do carry on revelling in the misery / reality as you see it/ dystopian vision of how bad we are and gonna be unless somefink changes. I’m no happy clappy fan but - and this is probably what I have in common with RM - I believe life is not a destination, following  saints is not always all about the results. Quite often, in fact mostly, it’s a bunch of stuff on the journey that counts. We overlook that and just end up disappointed all the time. It’s not a coincidence. Consider what we as a club are attempting and enjoy the principles enjoy the approach the philosophy the courage required. Enjoy it for goodness sake! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

11 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Fair argument. He really got the most out of his limited players. Im not sure that limited ambition approach will be enough to keep them up but it worked yesterday.

A score line of 4-1 would not have been unreasonable however and I don’t think we would be saying that about him today.

Nor would we have the emotive comments on here about how bad inflexible RM, the play, etc is. It would be all about how great 9/9 points are. Those missed chances went in against Leeds not yesterday though. Simple as that. We played better though. IMO. 

If you’d offered me 7 points and unbeaten from next three matches 3 games ago I think arms would be snatched off. We’d had a terrible run of defeats. Yet here we are and the sky has fallen in because we “only” drew the last match against lowly Rotherham - yet it’s obvious (but not to the haters) we are playing better. 

Do carry on revelling in the misery / reality as you see it/ dystopian vision of how bad we are and gonna be unless somefink changes. I’m no happy clappy fan but - and this is probably what I have in common with RM - I believe life is not a destination, following  saints is not always all about the results. Quite often, in fact mostly, it’s a bunch of stuff on the journey that counts. We overlook that and just end up disappointed all the time. It’s not a coincidence. Consider what we as a club are attempting and enjoy the principles enjoy the approach the philosophy the courage required. Enjoy it for goodness sake! 

Where is the courage in playing so many simple short passes under no pressure? Courage is playing difficult incisive passes, courage is running with the ball and breaking the lines, courage is making runs that are hard to track. Courage wins matches and gets fans off their seats and buying into the project. We need more courage.

• Like 11

29 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Would you break something that does not need fixing?!?!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr X said:

If anything it's too late, or will be soon. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

It sounds like what you have in common with RM is to be happy with achieving a mid table finish as long as you are top of the number of 5 yard backwards passes table. 

How can one enjoy the principles etc. when those criteria aren’t delivering consistent enough results. If/ when they do start delivering those results and we are in a better position in the table then I’ll enjoy them…at the moment they are patently not good enough and do not do justice to the talent of the squad.

• Like 2

Rotherham goalie was M.o.M.   we should have been 3-0 by HT.  as we were so dominant. 

Rotherham's early subbing (30 mins) changed the game and mean they went 5 at the back and we lost the initiative.

Having scored the opening goal in 2 minutes Stuart Armstrong proceeded to waste 3 or 4 other good chances.

Despite 80% possession and 22 shots to their 4 ....we still can't shoot straight. 

Making our 3 subs. change meant we lost our way,  and they scored and got the point they hoped for with one good goal chance.

Back to the training ground. 

• Like 4

Did we really need to give the ball back when they threw it out to make multiple tactical changes?

I understand for injuries, but they used the break in play to change three players and formation.

15 secs later, the ball was in our net. 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, rallyboy said:

Did we really need to give the ball back when they threw it out to make multiple tactical changes?

I understand for injuries, but they used the break in play to change three players and formation.

Soft option by Adams who should have been aware enough that they were buying time to bring on subs - nobody injured so ludicrous decision to meekly throw the ball to their keeper who launches it and they score. Players need to be told in no uncertain terms that this attitude is unacceptable - where is the winning mentality? Would Rotherham or any other side have given us the ball back in that situation? Of course not.

• Like 2

I really don't understand the value in a striker who cant score a header or a scabby goal from 5 yards. Che was a waste of a shirt for most of the game (again).

I'm not sure he's solely to blame for the goal though. The lack of aggression from midfield allowed them the space to score, baz may have looked out of position but an aggressive (brave?) midfield doesn't concede that goal.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, rallyboy said:

27 minutes ago, saintant said:

Soft option by Adams who should have been aware enough that they were buying time to bring on subs - nobody injured so ludicrous decision to meekly throw the ball to their keeper who launches it and they score. Players need to be told in no uncertain terms that this attitude is unacceptable - where is the winning mentality? Would Rotherham or any other side have given us the ball back in that situation? Of course not.

In his post match interview, Martin said they were trying to get a message out to the players not to give them the ball back.... Either they weren't shouting loud enough or Adams was too thick to obey instructions... Either way, absolutely idiotic to give them the ball back in that scenario. Every likelihood that we'd have held out for the win if we hadn't been so naive / stupid in that moment. They were only ever going to get one or two chances and we gave it to them on a plate. 

4 hours ago, adrian lord said:

Might give their manager a miss, although I think he has got one promotion (Exeter) to his name. So one more than RM.

Their GK on the other hand would be worth watching between now and the next window. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, trousers said:

In his post match interview, Martin said they were trying to get a message out to the players not to give them the ball back.... Either they weren't shouting loud enough or Adams was too thick to obey instructions... Either way, absolutely idiotic to give them the ball back in that scenario. Every likelihood that we'd have held out for the win if we hadn't been so naive / stupid in that moment. They were only ever going to get one or two chances and we gave it to them on a plate. 

Not just by giving the ball back, but a poor headed clearance. And Bazunu way off his line. 

2 minutes ago, Badger said:

Might give their manager a miss, although I think he has got one promotion (Exeter) to his name. So one more than RM.

Their GK on the other hand would be worth watching between now and the next window. 

Yep, had a bit of a Jordan Pickford vibe about him IMO

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Badger said:

Not just by giving the ball back, but a poor headed clearance. And Bazunu way off his line. 

Yeah, but if we hadn't meekly/naively given the ball back then that passage of play would never have taken place.... I'm not saying it was the one single event that decided the outcome of the game, but small incidents can have significant ramifications... #butterflyeffect

Edited by trousers

11 minutes ago, trousers said:

Yeah, but if we hadn't meekly/naively given the ball back then that passage of play would never have taken place.... I'm not saying it was the one single event that decided the outcome of the game, but small incidents can have significant ramifications... #butterflyeffect

Yes, fair point of course.

(Butterfly  effect, wasn’t that one of MLG’s great topics ?). 

1 hour ago, saintant said:

To be fair to Martin, he was fuming with Che for giving them the ball back.  He has specifically told the team not to give the opposition the ball back in any circumstances.

Che is a fucking onion.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, saintant said:

Where is the courage in playing so many simple short passes under no pressure? Courage is playing difficult incisive passes, courage is running with the ball and breaking the lines, courage is making runs that are hard to track. Courage wins matches and gets fans off their seats and buying into the project. We need more courage.

Nicely put and obviously a popular pov.

If I might add though, courage is also doing what your boss tells you and that you believe in despite 30,000 fans moaning at you to hit it long - and hitting it long is often the easy option let’s not overlook that - and fans giving you negative vibes for insistently on doing what you been told by your boss. Your boss incidentally who can effectively sack you by not picking you and destroying your career.

Courage is RM sticking to his principles and defending his players every match - not hanging them out to dry or throwing them in front of the bus- despite the outright abuse and hostility from some customers.

RM takes full responsibility which requires courage and integrity. 
Courshe may also be looking for that better position for the  incisive pass or shot rather than cross it aimlessly into the box- something which most of our mf in particular could easily do. With a different cf it may be the better decision. But at home some of the customers want it in the box quicker. Some prefer that we develop and get better at this style and eventually master it. To infer all our players lack courage is , in my opinion, an unfair slur. It may be that some lack ulti ate commitment for known obvious reasons- but footballing  courage. No I do t not think any of them would be having that if you said it face to face in a bar. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

If I might add though, courage is also doing what your boss tells you and that you believe in despite 30,000 fans moaning at you to hit it long - and hitting it king is often the easy option let’s not overlook that - and fabs giving you negative vibes foc insistently  doing what you been told by your boss. Your boss incidentally who can effectively sack you by not picking you and destroying your career. Courage is RM sticking to his principles and defebdu v his players every match - not hanging them out to dry or throwing them in front of the bus- despite the outright abuse and hostility from some customers. RM takes full responsibility which requires courage and integrity. 
Coursge is looking g for that better position for they incisive oas rather than cross it aimlessly into the box- something which most of our mf in particular could easily do. With a different cf it may be the better decision. But at home some of the customers want it in the box quicker. Some prefer that we develop and get better at this style and eventually master it. 

Customers. Fuck off you WUM. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, gio1saints said:

If I might add though, courage is also doing what your boss tells you and that you believe in despite 30,000 fans moaning at you to hit it long - and hitting it king is often the easy option let’s not overlook that - and fabs giving you negative vibes foc insistently  doing what you been told by your boss. Your boss incidentally who can effectively sack you by not picking you and destroying your career. Courage is RM sticking to his principles and defebdu v his players every match - not hanging them out to dry or throwing them in front of the bus- despite the outright abuse and hostility from some customers. RM takes full responsibility which requires courage and integrity. 
Coursge is looking g for that better position for they incisive oas rather than cross it aimlessly into the box- something which most of our mf in particular could easily do. With a different cf it may be the better decision. But at home some of the customers want it in the box quicker. Some prefer that we develop and get better at this style and eventually master it. 

I'm not a fuckin customer. I am a fuckin fan. Customer? What sort of shit is that? Are you deliberately trying to get people's goat up?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I'm not a fuckin customer. I am a fuckin fan. Customer? What sort of shit is that? Are you deliberately trying to get people's goat up?

I think that's clear now. 

Someone who turns up and cares enough to get angry at the shite served up at the club they love = customer 

Someone who doesn't let drawing at home to relegation fodder Rotherham bother them as we passed the ball alot = fan 

• Like 3

On 26/08/2023 at 19:37, hypochondriac said:

Sinclair Armstrong deserves to play for a team that doesn't just lump it to him on his own. 

7 hours ago, woksaintly said:

Do performances reflect results? Are we creating chances versus conversion. Are we conceding goals through unforced errors against opposition skill? Do we see improvements in tactics and individual player's.performances

I suspect we are about 40% over the 11 games. Not good enough given the talent at our disposal

Personally I don’t feel we’ve played that well bar the Wednesday away game, although we could have drawn, first 35 mins against Leeds and parts of the games yesterday…. Bar that we’ve been bloody average.  Martins delusional post match comments don’t cut it, he’s trying either to protect the players or try and cover his arse.. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

Customers. Fuck off you WUM. 

There’s a small minority kicking about on the site, as well as a handful of long-standing posters who just have a different perspective on events and Martin (which they are fully entitled to have btw).

Some of the language of the post you responded to was very PR-ish and suspiciously similar to the Lowe agent who was known to be on here mid-late 2000s. Another one teatime yesterday was talking about the club not being capable of being of 7th/9th place PL and/or cup final. Clearly didn’t know anything about recent history of Saints, WGS period and further back and other posters very quickly corrected them being caught out.

Nor were they aware of the recent history of Palace, Brighton, Stoke, Watford, Wigan who have done one or both. Clearly, we aren’t as ‘big’ as those clubs either. 

The common strand from all of them is fan blame and sparking division via WUM posting. Could be lurking skates but 20-odd unbeaten, top of the league and bright young manager, why would they honestly bother? It feels far more like club/PR agency infiltration and it wouldn’t be the first time. Hopefully the mods will be proactive in dishing out bans.

Edited by Gloucester Saint
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

If I might add though, courage is also doing what your boss tells you and that you believe in despite 30,000 fans moaning at you to hit it long - and hitting it long is often the easy option let’s not overlook that - and fans giving you negative vibes for insistently on doing what you been told by your boss. Your boss incidentally who can effectively sack you by not picking you and destroying your career.

Courage is RM sticking to his principles and defending his players every match - not hanging them out to dry or throwing them in front of the bus- despite the outright abuse and hostility from some customers.

RM takes full responsibility which requires courage and integrity. 
Courshe may also be looking for that better position for the  incisive pass or shot rather than cross it aimlessly into the box- something which most of our mf in particular could easily do. With a different cf it may be the better decision. But at home some of the customers want it in the box quicker. Some prefer that we develop and get better at this style and eventually master it. To infer all our players lack courage is , in my opinion, an unfair slur. It may be that some lack ulti ate commitment for known obvious reasons- but footballing  courage. No I do t not think any of them would be having that if you said it face to face in a bar. 

Is courage letting your team let the opposition slide through the midfield without putting in a tackle and not reacting to it? Or perhaps it is changing a winning team by putting someone in the team who can't be arsed and then only substituting them with 5 mins to go? Or perhaps blindly sticking to a losing formula with the hope that it might come right eventually when everyone else can see it is fundamentally flawed?

You call it courage... I call it incompetence 

• Like 2

Just now, JRM said:

I think that's clear now. 

Someone who turns up and cares enough to get angry at the shite served up at the club they love = customer 

Someone who doesn't let drawing at home to relegation fodder Rotherham bother them as we passed the ball alot = fan 

No- yet another straw man argument.

This must be some kind of virus. 

People who pay ££ for a ticket in the belief they are entitled thereby to verbally abuse staff who are there to service and entertain them - I call them vile customers. yiu got a problem with that? What’s your job? Want me to be a customer then Eff and blind at you for your perceived shortcomings in Front of 30,000 others? No? 

Nothing to do with how much we care either ( and I’m sure we both DO care) I think that an outright player and manager abusive approach - as against expressing displeasure more civilly is simply how decent humans behave. 

I do not enjoy a winnable match being drawn- but somehow I do not and  will not stay silent whilst the baying mob shout out their grotesque hate. Especially when the performance was good in many ways - all overlooked in the blind anger.

There are ways to support the team and there are people nasty shouting abuse. because we “ only” drew. As for Vile customers. Anyone who has worked in the service industry knows what I mean. 

• Haha 3