Saints 1-1 Rotherham - Match Thread

Lee On Solent Saint

9 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

You’ve got your nibbles now run along and play with the traffic you boring prick. 

Resorting to name calling online is a common last resort of a certain type of person. And all because you disagree with my opinion on  the forum.

Happy to meet you for a drink and you might change your mind. I’ve supported saints over 50 years and travelled home and away a lot of games. You might be surprised at what I am like versus your ( wrong) perception. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Badger said:

Trying to find the RM post match interview online, I stumbled on this following a 1-1 draw Swansea had with them in February.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/swansea-city-crisis-fans-booing-26347844

Obviously Rotherham are just a bogey team for RM. Nothing to worry about then.

An absolute carbon copy of this weekend then. 

He is coaching a promotion worthy team to a 12th place finish. 

Another managerial master class from the geniuses at Sports Republic 

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, StrangelyBrown said:

Is courage letting your team let the opposition slide through the midfield without putting in a tackle and not reacting to it? Or perhaps it is changing a winning team by putting someone in the team who can't be arsed and then only substituting them with 5 mins to go? Or perhaps blindly sticking to a losing formula with the hope that it might come right eventually when everyone else can see it is fundamentally flawed?

You call it courage... I call it incompetence 

Strangely, No letting a man run past you without tackle is not courage. Nobody says it is. Nor is Blindly sticking to a losing formula. But seriously  Is 7/9 points a losing formula nowadays? This is yet another straw man argument 

I seem to have spent the afternoon asking people to not misrepresent what I’ve said. Many supposed fellow saints fans having a pop at me for having the temerity to have a different pov and actually saying abusing the staff is not on. I’m not saints staff. 

If you want to know who I am ask Steve Grant. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

No- yet another straw man argument.

This must be some kind of virus. 

People who pay ££ for a ticket in the belief they are entitled thereby to verbally abuse staff who are there to service and entertain them - I call them vile customers. yiu got a problem with that? What’s your job? Want me to be a customer then Eff and blind at you for your perceived shortcomings in Front of 30,000 others? No? 

Nothing to do with how much we care either ( and I’m sure we both DO care) I think that an outright player and manager abusive approach - as against expressing displeasure more civilly is simply how decent humans behave. 

I do not enjoy a winnable match being drawn- but somehow I do not and  will not stay silent whilst the baying mob shout out their grotesque hate. Especially when the performance was good in many ways - all overlooked in the blind anger.

There are ways to support the team and there are people nasty shouting abuse. because we “ only” drew. As for Vile customers. Anyone who has worked in the service industry knows what I mean. 

I work on the check out at Sainsburys mate, my favourite bit is when my customers sing my name and cheer me on when I'm scanning their groceries and travel thousands of miles to see me do it. 

• Haha 5

56 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Nicely put and obviously a popular pov.

If I might add though, courage is also doing what your boss tells you and that you believe in despite 30,000 fans moaning at you to hit it long - and hitting it long is often the easy option let’s not overlook that - and fans giving you negative vibes for insistently on doing what you been told by your boss. Your boss incidentally who can effectively sack you by not picking you and destroying your career.

Courage is RM sticking to his principles and defending his players every match - not hanging them out to dry or throwing them in front of the bus- despite the outright abuse and hostility from some customers.

RM takes full responsibility which requires courage and integrity. 
Courshe may also be looking for that better position for the  incisive pass or shot rather than cross it aimlessly into the box- something which most of our mf in particular could easily do. With a different cf it may be the better decision. But at home some of the customers want it in the box quicker. Some prefer that we develop and get better at this style and eventually master it. To infer all our players lack courage is , in my opinion, an unfair slur. It may be that some lack ulti ate commitment for known obvious reasons- but footballing  courage. No I do t not think any of them would be having that if you said it face to face in a bar. 

I didn't say any of our players lack courage so you have misconstrued my words. I actually said what I believe constitutes being courageous in respect of professional footballers. Ours are coached to play in a certain way that RM believes in so I get that they are expected to follow his wishes. The suggestion that RM can destroy careers by not picking players who ignore his instructions strikes me as a slightly ridiculous notion - surely if a player is any good he'll simply end up with another club?

36 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

Is our team really promotion worthy though? If you compare like for like then it's significantly worse than the one that we got promoted with before.

I'm on the fence about Martin but I'm not sure fans are being realistic about the squad we have either. It's got lots of potential in it, but it's quite far off where it needs to be. Really it's a playoff team.

Then you come to the fact that their keeper played a blinder and we could easily have won 4-1, and I'm not sure it makes sense to lay it all at the manager's door

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Is our team really promotion worthy though? If you compare like for like then it's significantly worse than the one that we got promoted with before.

I'm on the fence about Martin but I'm not sure fans are being realistic about the squad we have either. It's got lots of potential in it, but it's quite far off where it needs to be. Really it's a playoff team.

Then you come to the fact that their keeper played a blinder and we could easily have won 4-1, and I'm not sure it makes sense to lay it all at the manager's door

Yes. This squad should be challenging for autos alongside  Leicester, Ipswich and Leeds.

If Warnock or someone more experienced & pragmatic was in charge, we’d be in the hunt for the autos right now. 

Many of the games we have lost so far have been because we are trying to play propaganda football and getting the basics wrong.  

• Like 10

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

Strangely, No letting a man run past you without tackle is not courage. Nobody says it is. Nor is Blindly sticking to a losing formula. But seriously  Is 7/9 points a losing formula nowadays? This is yet another straw man argument 

I seem to have spent the afternoon asking people to not misrepresent what I’ve said. Many supposed fellow saints fans having a pop at me for having the temerity to have a different pov and actually saying abusing the staff is not on. I’m not saints staff. 

Frankly I could give a flying fuck who you are, really quite a bizarre response...

What I am interested in is why you think we should blindly trust and enjoy a process that isn't working and isn't particularly enjoyable? Yes 7/9 points from the last 3, but get out of the micro view and look at the macro one it is quite a pathetic return so far this season considering we've categorically stated we're aiming for promotion and we are playing some of the dullest football we've played for some time.

• Like 6

99 times out of 100 we win that game, I was there and couldn’t believe we drew.

Yes there was a period when we’d resorted to slow passing for passings sake just before and after half time.

Look at the extended highlights, we did more than enough to win: 

Smash and grabs do happen.

Edited by maysie
  • Like 5

32 minutes ago, maysie said:

99 times out of 100 we win that game, I was there and couldn’t believe we drew.

Yes there was a period when we’d resorted to slow passing for passings sake just before and after half time.

Look at the extended highlights, we did more than enough to win: 

Smash and grabs do happen.

Agree with you. I was really annoyed at full time but after sleeping on it, games like this do happen and we've played a lot better recently. I still think we should have enough to get into the playoffs which is about par for the season. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Osvaldorama said:

It boggles the mind, doesn't it? Rasmus "I prefer managers who have failed" Ankersen is a grade A moron who genuinely thinks he's a genius.

And we're stuck with that abject failure of a disaster, and his appalling managers, as long as Dragan continues to fall for his hipster, powerpoint, smarmy bullshit.

Russell Martin cut a dejected figure once again after Swansea City's 1-1 draw with Rotherham United, the team booed off the pitch by their own fans.

The Swans took the lead through what was Joel Piroe's 13th goal of the season shortly before half-time, although the club's former transfer target Chiedozie Ogbene struck seven minutes after the restart to earn the Millers a share of the spoils.

Martin's men have won just three of their last 20 matches in all competitions, an alarming period of form that has seen them plummet from fourth to 15th in the Championship table.

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, gio1saints said:

7/9 points is not so bad, but another look it was 2 wins from the previous 6 games whilst sat bang in the middle of the table and to not beat Rotherham?

weird that you are happy with being an average championship side

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, gio1saints said:

Ronnie Pickering?

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, gio1saints said:

Except going on about seven out of nine points is a straw man argument.

What about 7 points from an available 21? That's a winning formula is it?

7 points from 7 games is not going to even get you in the play offs.

What about the our negative goal difference and dreadful goals against, is that a winning formula?

What about one of the most expensive/lavish squads in the league and not even scraping top six 11 games in? Is that a winning formula?

Spare us the holier than thou act. The management/ownership of this club talked about promotion this season, and their dreadful managerial appointment has made that vastly more unlikely than it should be.

Failure deserves to be called out, not just be covered up by people who want to spin doctor an alternative reality.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 16
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

What about the our negative goal difference and dreadful goals against, is that a winning formula?

What about one of the most expensive/lavish squads in the league and not even scraping top six 11 games in? Is that a winning formula?

Spare us the holier than thou act. The management/ownership of this club talked about promotion this season, and their dreadful managerial appointment has made that vastly more unlikely than it should be.

Failure deserves to be called out, not just be covered up by people who want to spin doctor an alternative reality.

What about 17 Points from 33. With 105 points still additionally attainable.

at that average rate of roughly 1.55 points that puts us about the Play-offs at 72 points for the season.

13 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

This in an absolute nutshell. The Martin apologists while perfectly entitled to their opinions are actually doing the club harm. Perpetrating a myth, defending the indefensible and ignoring the bleeding obvious with selective stats. 

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Nolan said:

at that average rate of roughly 1.55 points that puts us about the Play-offs at 72 points for the season.

72 points for the season is fucking shit mate.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Badger said:

Trying to find the RM post match interview online, I stumbled on this following a 1-1 draw Swansea had with them in February.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/swansea-city-crisis-fans-booing-26347844

God that's a depressing read.

It just shows that RM has learned absolutely nothing. 

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, Nolan said:

About the play-offs. So, it’s touch and go whether we make them or not. Is that really where we should be aiming with the squad we’ve got, and £ received this summer in comparison with the rest of the division? 

Accepted, the squad aren’t as good as we like to think, but the play off lottery isn’t where we should be aiming 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, maysie said:

Look at the extended highlights, we did more than enough to win

We didn't though. We scored one goal and that's never enough with this bunch. We had quite a few chances and people are saying their keeper played a blinder, but none of our efforts really tested him that much.

I just can't fathom how RM worked out that a 1-0 lead would be sufficient and he killed all our forward momentum with that triple sub. After that it was just more of the same old slow, ponderous passing it around at the back until the other team have had a chance to regroup, and once they have we know we don't have the players to unlock an organised defence.

We simply don't have a strong enough defence to sit on 1-0 leads either, as has been proven time and time again. With Baz in the nets there is always the chance that the oppo will score from their first shot on target, and so it proved again on Saturday. You can say it was a freak, one-off shot, but Baz was so far off his line he basically invited it.

Rotherham were there for the taking. But thanks to some poor finishing and negative second half tactics, we gifted them an ill-deserved draw. Their fans will have come away from that wondering how the hell they escaped with a point.

• Like 3

Still can't believe the Martin apologists on here. You seriously need to wake up, he's going to happily keep us down here for years thanks to his utter incompetence with one of the best squads in the league. Do any of you seriously believe KWP, Alcaraz et al do two seasons in the Championship? Do you think the Championship winning CB and Euro U21 captain stays next season? Fuck me, even Adam Armstrong will probably leave and that's when you know you're fucked. We'll be left with absolute shit like Smallbone and Manning and still pricks on here will be telling us how grateful we should be. 

• Like 8

12 hours ago, gio1saints said:

I think its safe to conclude you are definitely not Glen de la Cour.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Still can't believe the Martin apologists on here. You seriously need to wake up, he's going to happily keep us down here for years thanks to his utter incompetence with one of the best squads in the league. Do any of you seriously believe KWP, Alcaraz et al do two seasons in the Championship? Do you think the Championship winning CB and Euro U21 captain stays next season? Fuck me, even Adam Armstrong will probably leave and that's when you know you're fucked. We'll be left with absolute shit like Smallbone and Manning and still pricks on here will be telling us how grateful we should be. 

Entitled to your opinion. I disagree with your description of RM as “ utter incompetence”.

I disagree that Manning and Smallbone are absolute shit. 

I get your overall point- we need and should with this squad get wins not draws or defeats and we must start it now not next year - I thought this would be the case start of season but it’s obvious the progress has been non linear to put it mildly.

BUT there is No need for calling me out as “ prick” for not following your views. if that is how you wish to denigrate our manager and our players - and fellow supporters - it’s a free country but I think it’s personally very depressing the amount of abuse Ive received on here for asking fellow supporters to moderate the abuse they give the manager and players.😳

It is endemic in society I guess to demand immediate results immediate gratification and to kickback when we don’t get it. My view,- and there are some who share this view privately but are probably unwilling to get abused by like I’ve been  - is that the Manager and the squad need time. And that recent performances DO show we are getting better. You disagree. Fine. But no need for the abusive language. 

• Like 6

Was at the match and am disappointed not to have won the game.  We won't have many more games with that much control this season.  The reason we didn't win was poor finishing.  The style of play and tactics lead to us creating more than enough chances and with a more clinical final attempt we would have been 3 up at half time.  IMO RM made the subs for two reasons, firstly he knew that doing something very similar against Stoke helped us preserve our lead.  Secondly he could see that we needed some fresh legs to try for the second goal.  We have had plenty of games which we have won or drawn after being under the cosh and grabbing a goal - Chelsea home and away and Leicester home last season spring to mind.

The only positive (other than one more point) is the hope is that the squad learn that you can't take anything for granted in this league and you have to put games to bed when the opportunities arise.  Fingers crossed Ross Stewart can help with that.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

I wish the fans who were spouting we will be top scorers and will walk the top 2, were called out at the start of the season not after 11 games.

The last 3 games we have started to look more assured with the new system (not that I'm an advocate) It should have been 9 points of course.

The last 11 games of the season are very important for us to make a good run. It is a real shame hat we are now unlikely to make top 2 and as a long time Saints fan I accept we will make a hash of the play-offs.

The manager seems a decent man but whether he has the grit needed time will tell. Even if we got rid of him could we be sure the next appointment will be any good?

SR have a very easy ride, in my opinion they came with their double glazing salesmen chatter and pulled the wool over Semmens eyes, giving a view of how they were going to reinvent football and he/the powers that be fell for it.

2 or 3 years down the road we will find out if indeed they have funds, I doubt it, and wonder if the club will be burdened with large debt.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Entitled to your opinion. I disagree with your description of RM as “ utter incompetence”.

I disagree that Manning and Smallbone are absolute shit. 

I get your overall point- we need and should with this squad get wins not draws or defeats and we must start it now not next year - I thought this would be the case start of season but it’s obvious the progress has been non linear to put it mildly.

BUT there is No need for calling me out as “ prick” for not following your views. if that is how you wish to denigrate our manager and our players - and fellow supporters - it’s a free country but I think it’s personally very depressing the amount of abuse Ive received on here for asking fellow supporters to moderate the abuse they give the manager and players.😳

It is endemic in society I guess to demand immediate results immediate gratification and to kickback when we don’t get it. My view,- and there are some who share this view privately but are probably unwilling to get abused by like I’ve been  - is that the Manager and the squad need time. And that recent performances DO show we are getting better. You disagree. Fine. But no need for the abusive language. 

Supporters? We were customers yesterday. 

13 hours ago, Badger said:

Of course they are. They defend deep, compact and committed and then will try and counter / win bits and bobs from long balls and set plays - practically the ideal way of playing against a team who move the ball slowly and have more interest in possession stats than shots / goals.

Teams like City can get away with it, because they have the best possible players. Championship sides not so much. 

Leicester keep the ball, but they pass with purpose. We don't.   

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Stakeholders really.

Probably Like you and probably many here I used to own “shares” in Saints back in the day. Shares that became worthless. 
I liked that I owned a part of the club that’s so dear to my heart and which is like family to me. 
I know it’s ridiculous but even allowing a small amount of fans to buy shares in SFC or holding company whatever its name is would be quite a positive thing. Not to influence anything frankly but just to have an actual physical stake in it. 

16 hours ago, trousers said:

Yep, had a bit of a Jordan Pickford vibe about him IMO

this is where our transfer policy is not right.  We bought Lumley in to make up the numbers when in reality we have no back up GK trying to push Baz for his position. Sign up a GK from a team like Rotherham where they are playing at a decent standard but wages are unlikely to be too high and then let him compete with Baz.  At the moment we have no viable alternative.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

The whole season is depending on whether the Loch Ness Drogba can stay fit and put the chances away Adams can’t. Leeds bought a striker that’s hit the ground running we got one who hasn’t played since January!

also depends if our style suits him....a few times at the weekend Adams broke and made a forward run.....only to see the ball recycled across the midfield.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

God that's a depressing read.

It just shows that RM has learned absolutely nothing. 

It all sounds very familiar even down to picking out individual fans for stick. He really needs to stop this trait - he is very happy to give the three fist pumps when we win so he should be ready to accept the other side of the coin as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Give it to Ron said:

The whole season is depending on whether the Loch Ness Drogba can stay fit and put the chances away Adams can’t. Leeds bought a striker that’s hit the ground running we got one who hasn’t played since January!

He'll need to get fit before he even entertains the idea of staying fit. Hope the club and medical staff know what they are doing.

55 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

also depends if our style suits him....a few times at the weekend Adams broke and made a forward run.....only to see the ball recycled across the midfield.

Same with KWP and Adam Armstrong.  Don't get me wrong, I thought they both had decent matches, KWP especially - but the amount of times KWP ran on the overlap and was on his own (and on side) and could've whipped a ball in, but Adam Armstrong either didn't see him, or didn't want to pass to him in the open and passed in back into a more crowded midfield.  Drove me mad as it must've happened 4 or 5 times. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gio1saints said:

Probably Like you and probably many here I used to own “shares” in Saints back in the day. Shares that became worthless. 
I liked that I owned a part of the club that’s so dear to my heart and which is like family to me. 
I know it’s ridiculous but even allowing a small amount of fans to buy shares in SFC or holding company whatever its name is would be quite a positive thing. Not to influence anything frankly but just to have an actual physical stake in it. 

…but you do have a stake in it. Fans are one of the most important assets the club has.

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

....a few times at the weekend Adams broke and made a forward run.....only to see the ball recycled across the midfield.

Yet on many other occasions when balls were fired across the six yard box, Adams was nowhere to be seen - MIA.

The skill is knowing when to run and when not to run and In that respect he hasn't got a clue. Which is exactly why he doesn't score many goals.

13 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Yet on many other occasions when balls were fired across the six yard box, Adams was nowhere to be seen - MIA.

The skill is knowing when to run and when not to run and In that respect he hasn't got a clue. Which is exactly why he doesn't score many goals.

It is clear as day that our style of recycling the ball forward like a rugby team is geared up for Adam Armstrong and Sully to be our main threats. Adams dropping deep (like Charlie Alcaraz the game before) usually meant he was met with a set defence when in the box. Completely baffling that if this is our style, we allowed Tella to leave.

Rarely do we stretch teams (individual players, yes, but not entire defences/teams). Our big problem for most of the season in attack has been our desire to tip/tap the ball into the goal.

Hardly working out well, is it, we have scored the 8th most, whilst having the joint 2nd worst defence, in the league.

The style, the manager, the set up is failing

As for Adams, he scored 22 goals (I believe) the last season he was in this league, in a side that did not have multiple international players, who was not  aiming for top 2.  I would suggest the issue lies with the set up that is not getting the best out of him.....I doubt it will be much different with Ross Stewart

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Supporters? We were customers yesterday. 

That's what fans are. The sooner people drop this silly autistic sentiment that the club should mean as much to players/managers as it does to them the better.

36 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

…but you do have a stake in it. Fans are one of the most important assets the club has.

the only time the fans are the most important assets are when the club is in financial difficulty. The rest of the time we are fed the mealy mouthed nonsense about how important we are and go and buy a shirt to show it etc etc. 

Fans are seen as mugs, as we have pinned our colours to the mast and there to help pay the wages

As you can tell my rose glassed spectacles have been binned many years ago, gone are those fantastic days as a kid being so excited to get Fred Kemp's autograph in the club carpark after the players had been training.