Saints 1-1 Rotherham - Match Thread

Lee On Solent Saint

10 hours ago, Andrew Watson said:

Why should we be surprised with such a wretched performance,at present looking at mid table mediocrity,which is patently not good enough. A couple of my mates went to the game and both said it was one of the worst performances that they have ever seen from Saints,Rotherham are the whipping boys after all.

Perhaps I am wrong to think that the squad is totally under performing and it really is this mediocre,as for the management.

The first half was excellent. Second half despite taking foot off the gas we still completely dominated and created enough to win the game easily. I'm not happy with the second half performance but it was still miles ahead of Sunderland, Leicester, Ipswich and Boro albeit against much  weaker opposition 

• Like 6

I was at the game and on another day we could have had six there are two issues which grated for me after the game. Tactically their manager realised that they needed to block the supply to our left wing and play highrr up the pitch. Secondly our manager had no plan B to up the tempo and move the ball quicker to the wings. Three passes when a balll over the top was needed. Our midfield was painful to watch against a dreadful side. Most fans can accept that we were unlucky but tactically we were awful and that is down to the Manager. It was obvious that Smallbone was playing to instructions as I do not remember one risk taking forward pass all afternoon

• Like 17

4 minutes ago, 64saint said:

Shit result but if we'd just put one of those many chances away we would be in the play off positions this morning. No need to get suicidal yet ( maybe by next month though 🙄 !!!)

The word suicidal gets bandied around, but it isn’t that.  It’s anger, frustration and disappointment, which has been building for years and it’s being compounded by our crushing mediocrity this season, when we were entitled to expect much better.

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, JRM said:

He’s not helping himself, he’s taken on a big job and expectations are (were) high. You don’t get that big fat salary for nothing Russel.

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, JRM said:

He doesn’t do himself any favours does he.

’Hopefully most people will have enjoyed seeing their team so dominant’.

Christ. Read the room. 

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, woksaintly said:

Three passes when a balll over the top was needed.

this is the key issue. we shift the ball from left to right constantly and always use every player along the back 4 in 5 yard passes. its too easy to defend and the transition needs to be sped up by cutting out a couple of the passes using a longer ball.

• Like 2

There were numerous time in the game, as we had the ball in the centre circle area/middle 3rd, Adams (or another attacker) would make run which would have meant a ball over the top or a long through pass.....hardly, if ever, tried....played very sideways

But hey, Martin is please that it looked pretty

So very risk averse against a team who are appalling away from home, suffering with injuries

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

this is the key issue. we shift the ball from left to right constantly and always use every player along the back 4 in 5 yard passes. its too easy to defend and the transition needs to be sped up by cutting out a couple of the passes using a longer ball.

Especially when we literally have one of the world’s fastest players to have running into space behind. 

• Like 2

As ever a wide range of reactions to the result. I’m personally sanguine but there was a lot of abuse hurled at the team , individual players and RM at the end from some around me. some here will say it’s well warranted. To those I say I respect your opinion but not the ways it was expressed on Saturday. That was out of order.

My impressions from Block 41: 

1. Probably our most dominant and skilful home display of the season. Some of our football was wonderful to watch.  I loved the way we moved the ball up the pitch and made 15 ( I think) chances. 
2. Support around me often concurring with delight at the way we finally seem to have cracked the dilly dallying on the ball around the penalty area issue - though it did resurface once or twice. 
2. Canny work from the Rotherham manager to shuffle his team set up early to adapt and try to restrain us. It stemmed, but did not abate,  our much more incisive than hitherto this season play. 
3. Rotherham are a very limited team - relegation material imo- but this result was deserved if only for their defensive performance. Fair dos to them. 
4. We failed to win due to not scoring from excellent chances. Excellent chances that in normal circumstances would be converted into goals. No one player was most at fault - they ALL misfired at the we critical moment  - CA, AA, KS, SA, RF, SE all of them. 
5. Any team, player or RM criticism of the performance up until shooting on goal in general is ill-conceived. Criticism of our finishing on the other hand is extremely fair- we were well below par. 
6. IF we play like that every match between now and end of season we will ( surely) be putting a hatful past some opponents at some stage. And I’d guess that’s more likely away than at home as teams may feel obligated to open up a bit more when playing us at home. I can see a set of big away wins on the cards for us. 
7. Kamaldeen and Sam are still Learning but both obviously ridiculously too quick too skilled for their opponents - they just need add end product ( or, frankly, have a striker to pass to after they beaten their man who just scores not misses) 
8. I thought the midfield four did well. 
9. Che Adams was relatively ineffective after a promising first ten minutes. I thought he would bully such teams as these but he looked subdued. 
10 AA worked hard. Again. Failed to score his chance (s) (again) but still put max  effort in -which is the minimum. He’s limited and not the greatest player I’ve ever seen in a saints shirt but he works his butt off so he’s ok with me. 
11. Manning and KWP both had sound games. Manning in particular has to adapt because KS still does not know what to do out of possession so Manning needs curb his attacking instincts ( look at his goals and assists last season) - which is a shame because defensively he’s only average rather than good or great and I’m sure we recruited him for that rather than as a defensive player. I can see his football intelligence and experience is their though so he’s OK with me too. 
12. SA was good in fits and starts he does things others don’t do- notably his direct running from midfield central areas - a bit like Charlie. Defensively they are average however. Both are very good players at this level if others can do the defending…Charlie is the more dynamic more technically skilled and has more promise and better goal instincts imo but Stu does also put a shift in which Charlie sometimes only belatedly remembers out of possession hence he seems to always be involved in flare ups due to having to be overaggressive to regain possession. 
13. My personal view is that long term Shea Charles should be playing instead of Stu. I like Stu AND I know Shea, Flynn and Will are unlikely goalscorers- whereas Stus scored 2/2  but with them in midfield we will concede even fewer ( but Stus goalscoring record is sketchy overall) and with AA, KS, Charlie and our new CF to come they should take care of the bulk of the goalscoring. 
14. Baz is become s fan favourite. Who would have thought it. 
15. AA gave armband to Jan when he went off - NOT Che as he has done previously - the situation and implication obvious. 
16. Our twin CB ‘s played well, again. That’s them set for rest of season. 
17. Shout out to Rotherham’s goalie. Some simply excellent saves. He will be playing for better team shortly for sure. 
18 Aribo - looked clumsy as usual but it’s difficult to get the ball off of him. It’s weird but I’d be tempted to put him in at CF sometimes as a CF  so he can hold ball up a bit- Michel Antonio style. 
19 Some “Supporters”abusing RM and players at full time. Disgusting. Appalling. Ignorant. Short-sighted. Anywhere else in society you behave like that to staff in public you get prosecuted. At football it’s supposedly ok. It’s not. It’s disgraceful & shameful. Aggravated by the public nature especially when in front of kids. Plus ca change. I don’t consider them supporters. Just vile customers. 

Saintly regards 
Giordano 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

Yep, and that's the way the manager wants us to play. Ergo the manager is the key issue.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

As ever a wide range of reactions to the result. I’m personally sanguine but there was a lot of abuse hurled at the team , individual players and RM at the end from some around me. some here will say it’s well warranted. To those I say I respect your opinion but not the ways it was expressed on Saturday. That was out of order.

1. Probably our most dominant and skilful home display of the season. Some of our football was wonderful to watch.  I loved the way we moved the ball up the pitch and made 15 ( I think) chances. 
2. Support around me often concurring with delight at the way we finally seem to have cracked the dilly dallying on the ball around the penalty area issue - though it did resurface once or twice. 
2. Canny work from the Rotherham manager to shuffle his team set up early to adapt and try to restrain us. It stemmed, but did not abate,  our much more incisive than hitherto this season play. 
3. Rotherham are a very limited team - relegation material imo- but this result was deserved if only for their defensive performance. Fair dos to them. 
4. We failed to win due to not scoring from excellent chances. Excellent chances that in normal circumstances would be converted into goals. No one player was most at fault - they ALL misfired at the we critical moment  - CA, AA, KS, SA, RF, SE all of them. 
5. Any team, player or RM criticism of the performance up until shooting on goal in general is ill-conceived. Criticism of our finishing on the other hand is extremely fair- we were well below par. 
6. IF we play like that every match between now and end of season we will ( surely) be putting a hatful past some opponents at some stage. And I’d guess that’s more likely away than at home as teams may feel obligated to open up a bit more when playing us at home. I can see a set of big away wins on the cards for us. 
7. Kamaldeen and Sam are still Learning but both obviously ridiculously too quick too skilled for their opponents - they just need add end product ( or, frankly, have a striker to pass to after they beaten their man who just scores not misses) 
9. Che Adams was relatively ineffective after a promising first ten minutes. I thought he would bully such teams as these but he looked subdued. 
10 AA worked hard. Again. Failed to score his chance (s) (again) but still put max  effort in -which is the minimum. He’s limited and not the greatest player I’ve ever seen in a saints shirt but he works his butt off so he’s ok with me. 
11. Manning and KWP both had sound games. Manning in particular has to adapt because KS still does not know what to do out of possession so Manning needs curb his attacking instincts ( look at his goals and assists last season) - which is a shame because defensively he’s only average rather than good or great and I’m sure we recruited him for that rather than as a defensive player. I can see his football intelligence and experience is their though so he’s OK with me too. 
12. SA was good in fits and starts he does things others don’t do- notably his direct running from midfield central areas - a bit like Charlie. Defensively they are average however. Both are very good players at this level if others can do the defending…Charlie is the more dynamic more technically skilled and has more promise and better goal instincts imo but Stu does also put a shift in which Charlie sometimes only belatedly remembers out of possession hence he seems to always be involved in flare ups due to having to be overaggressive to regain possession. 
13. My personal view is that long term Shea Charles should be playing instead of Stu. I like Stu AND I know Shea, Flynn and Will are unlikely goalscorers- whereas Stus scored 2/2  but with them in midfield we will concede even fewer ( but Stus goalscoring record is sketchy overall) and with AA, KS and our new CF to come they should take care of the bulk of the goalscoring. 
15. AA gave armband to Jan when he went off - NOT Che as he has done previously - the situation and implication obvious. 
17. Shout out to Rotherham’s goalie. Some simply excellent saves. He will be playing for better team shortly for sure. 
18 Aribo - looked clumsy as usual but it’s difficult to get the ball off of him. It’s weird but I’d be tempted to put him in at CF sometimes as a sun so he can hold ball up a bit- Michel Antonio style. 
19 Some “Supporters”abusing RM and players at full time. Disgusting. Appalling. Ignorant. Short-sighted. Anywhere else in society you behave like that to staff in public you get prosecuted. At football it’s supposedly ok. It’s not. It’s disgraceful & shameful. Aggravated by the public nature especially when in front of kids. Plus ca change. I don’t consider them supporters. Just vile customers. 

Saintly regards 
Giordano 

Cheers Russ 👍

• Haha 5

12 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

13. My personal view is that long term Shea Charles should be playing instead of Stu. I like Stu AND I know Shea, Flynn and Will are unlikely goalscorers- whereas Stus scored 2/2  but with them in midfield we will concede even fewer ( but Stus goalscoring record is sketchy overall) and with AA, KS, Charlie and our new CF to come they should take care of the bulk of the goalscoring. 
18 Aribo - looked clumsy as usual but it’s difficult to get the ball off of him. It’s weird but I’d be tempted to put him in at CF sometimes as a CF  so he can hold ball up a bit- Michel Antonio style. 

Saintly regards 
Giordano 

Wow, Who in SR wrote that? Or was it Wilcox or Martin himself? There is no excuse for not beating Rotherham at home if your a team expecting to mount a serious promotion challenge. Leicester would have wiped the floor with that lot, with probably half the amount of posession as we had. Nobody has the right to win every game, but I expect more when we play the likes of Rotherham.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Saintly regards 
Giordano 

Russell, is that you? 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, JRM said:

"If we win 3 or 4 nil .... ".

We didn't.

We're well off the pace for automatic promotion and barely hanging on to play-off places after 7 points from 7 games. SR made it plain that that promotion was the plan but that's looking less and less likely when unable to see off cannon fodder at St Mary's.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

The first half was excellent. Second half despite taking foot off the gas we still completely dominated and created enough to win the game easily. I'm not happy with the second half performance but it was still miles ahead of Sunderland, Leicester, Ipswich and Boro albeit against much  weaker opposition 

I beg to differ, sorry. The first half was "ok" - no more no worse. We got the goal after Rotherham twice gave the ball away near their area. After that we were comfortable (without scoring) against a team who have a shocking away record and loads of injuries. Describing that as "excellent" is over the top and I sense a little bit of a desperate defence of a manager who then at half-time told the players to retain possession, even if it meant allowing Rotherham to regroup everytime we approached their half. The amount of times we got to the half-way line only to immediately turn back, sometimes without even checking there were forward options, was indefensible and frustrating.

I do not think Martin's tactics are the answer. 3 of our wins have come against clubs now in the bottom 4. His cautious build up play is a turn off in terms of spectating. Yes he has his apologists, (of which I sense you are one) but he is alienating large swathes of the fan base. Around me in the Kingsland yesterday there was quite a bit of discontent. In the pub afterwards there was 7 of us and we all were critical at the football being played. Some are more forgiving, choosing the Adam Blackmore route of appeasement but the writing on the wall is getting clearer to those who have been around the block a bit. Unnecessary sideways and back ward passing is a turn off, it will not get us promotion and its mind-numbing to watch. In a way Martin is not to blame. Wilcox decided what style we should play and appointed Martin to carry out his vision. Unfortunately this stupidity has divided the fans. You only have to read this thread to realise that.

Edited by Fitzhugh Fella
spellling
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Nope.

We'd lost four in a row.

We're supposed to be challenging for automatic promotion. Winning 3 matches in a row is typical for teams who want to go up automatically.

Ipswich have already done it, Leicester have done it twice and more.

Let's not even touch on the fact we have negative goal difference. Pathetic.

The level this manager has got us scrabbling around is oooh we got a point maybe maybe if we're lucky we make the play offs, and expecting the fanbase to be grateful for it.

Not good enough, Russell Martin is failing right now.

Very much this.

It seems our standards have dipped alarmingly with people describing yesterday's performance as excellent and then using the "if Smallbone had scored" argument. The fact is we were held to a draw by a team with an atrocious away record, who were suffering from a long injury list and little resources compared to us. We had them on the ropes after two minutes and because of Martin's obsession for "possession without intent football" we let them straight back into the game. Indeed they could have even nicked it. That might have shut a few of the Martin apologists up.

• Like 11

48 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

My impressions from the managers dugout.

Saintly regards 
Russell.

Edited by IFHP
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Very much this.

It seems our standards have dipped alarmingly with people describing yesterday's performance as excellent and then using the "if Smallbone had scored" argument. The fact is we were held to a draw by a team with an atrocious away record, who were suffering from a long injury list and little resources compared to us. We had them on the ropes after two minutes and because of Martin's obsession for "possession without intent football" we let them straight back into the game. Indeed they could have even nicked it. That might have shut a few of the Martin apologists up.

Spot on. Our expectations should be high with the squad  that we have but we are sacrificial lambs to a fixed system that does not work. What is more it is painfall to watch and easy to negate demonsrated by a near reserve side second to bottom. It was the predictability of our approach that opposition can suss so quickly and the stubborness to change during a game that has alienated so many fans

• Like 3

1 hour ago, woksaintly said:

I was at the game and on another day we could have had six there are two issues which grated for me after the game. Tactically their manager realised that they needed to block the supply to our left wing and play highrr up the pitch. Secondly our manager had no plan B to up the tempo and move the ball quicker to the wings. Three passes when a balll over the top was needed. Our midfield was painful to watch against a dreadful side. Most fans can accept that we were unlucky but tactically we were awful and that is down to the Manager. It was obvious that Smallbone was playing to instructions as I do not remember one risk taking forward pass all afternoon

Good post, that's how I saw it. RM should have been more dynamic in his game management and brought on Alcaraz earlier.

They had 6 yellow cards. As soon as that tactic started in the 2nd half, I'd like to have seen Edozie, Sulemana. KWP, and Alcaraz running full pelt at their players

Not to see more cards or sending offs, but they put themselves in a vulnerable position and it should have been exploited.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

Saintly regards 
Giordano 

Interesting thoughts … I won’t accuse you of being Russell because even he  (I hope) wouldn’t think a) Shea should be replacing Stu or b) Aribo could play cf. Personally I wouldn’t play Aribo anywhere, but that’s a different story.

You mention the “canny” move by Rotherham in changing tactics and my one major gripe at Martin yesterday would be our inability to properly react to that. Football doesn’t change much - you either go through, round or over a team’s defence. If they ‘cannily’ adapted to stop the width, we should have cannily brought on Charlie to have him and Stu to go through the middle instead (they were too deep to go over).  Added benefit that they both finish better than our incompetent strikers. Too offensive a midfield at home to Leicester, but appropriate against a 9 man defence. 

I do think Martin is too stuck on the process to adapt to suit a game - we have 5 good midfielders in Shea, Stu, Charlie, Flynn and Will - we need a different combination for different circumstances (normally 3, occasionally 4) and Martin is constantly getting the combination wrong imho. I think this is because he wants the Will/Flynn fulcrum to evolve because it’s the best combination for dominating possession (which he’s obviously obsessed about). I get that, but we’ve got a f***ing game of football to win so let’s worry about that first, shall we?  Turn it into a practice match when we’re cruising 3-0, but not when we need the points available.

Getting the right midfield combination for the tactical challenge we face each different game will determine our success for the rest of the season imho.
FWIW Shea, Will and Flynn would not be my 3 (as it would seemingly be for you) except when shutting up shop. Zero creativity.

Think your point 19 is way OTT.  I don’t boo, don’t think it helps and don’t think I have a right to behave dreadfully (especially in public, in front of kids) just because it’s football. But I also have enough understanding of other humans to accept it’s going to happen at times in life; particularly at football matches; and particularly at st Mary’s where we’ve been dished up 6-7 years of utter sh1te (our only good run in that time was during covid when we couldn’t bleeding go anyway!!!). And largely because faceless, arrogant tossers who sit in directors seats have miss-managed us and failed to recruit one single striker in 4 f*cking years.

People are angry, understandably so. And if you’re too sensitive to cope with being exposed to it when it over-spills in inappropriate ways in the heat of the moment, don’t go. 
No, maybe Martin (or any human being) doesn’t deserve quite that level of dogs abuse, but it has always happened, will always happen, was something he knew would happen when he took the job, and he’s paid an astronomical amount of money to put up with. I wouldn’t do it myself, but equally I wouldn’t begin to bother moaning about it in his (or your) shoes.

Id rather he spent time working out how to a) balance his midfield, b) find a magic goal-scoring bean for someone … anyone …

Edited by Chewy
Spelling
  • Like 5

15 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Was always going to happen wasnt it? The talk all week on here was about returning to positive goal difference and getting another clean sheet.

Its football. If you dont convert your chances you give the opposition a chance to steal something and thats exactly what happened. 

Its on the players, nothing to do with RM. Unfortuately these are the sort of teams you need to be putting to the sword at home if you want to stand any chance of automatic

Nothing to do with Russell Martin? Seriously?

The less RM in our style, the better and quicker we play. The more influence he has the more we slow down and return to his possession based drudgery. 

We have a decent squad held back by a poor coach.

• Like 7

I get what many of you are saying - especially the esteemed FF. There’s us and remains a palpable sense of disappointment from that match.

My opinion is that the outcome was disappointing but I was satisfied by the by the general standard of our play - especially put into the broader context of last 18 months. 

More accurately I was satisfied that the style RM has installed is - gradually- bedding in . Becoming what Ralph used to call “ auto-instinct”. A long way off being what we could be but - for me- we are on the right path stylistically, and what is needed is not full scale changes but rather tweaks and the addition of a decisive CF. 

RM does and will make tactical mistakes - he’s no Ancelotti- but on balance his perseverance is more admirable to me than to have a constantly flip flopping non style. Pragmatic football can win games and Jose is a master of it - but the style we are attempting to play wins Champions Leagues and EPL titles and is considered the optimal current way to play the gam. And it’s a beautiful way too which is the bonus all saints fans would love to have. 

• Haha 3

Just now, gio1saints said:

I get what many of you are saying - especially the esteemed FF. There’s us and remains a palpable sense of disappointment from that match.

My opinion is that the outcome was disappointing but I was satisfied by the by the general standard of our play - especially put into the broader context of last 18 months. 

More accurately I was satisfied that the style RM has installed is - gradually- bedding in . Becoming what Ralph used to call “ auto-instinct”. A long way off being what we could be but - for me- we are on the right path stylistically, and what is needed is not full scale changes but rather tweaks and the addition of a decisive CF. 

RM does and will make tactical mistakes - he’s no Ancelotti- but on balance his perseverance is more admirable to me than to have a constantly flip flopping non style. Pragmatic football can win games and Jose is a master of it - but the style we are attempting to play wins Champions Leagues and EPL titles and is considered the optimal current way to play the gam. And it’s a beautiful way too which is the bonus all saints fans would love to have. 

who gives a toss if the way we are trying to play wins champions league?

It aint going to win promotion out of the championship, and made automatic promotion out of reach by game 10.

I personally do not find endless sideways passing "beautiful"

• Like 8

Special mention to the core of Rotherham fans that were hell bent on starting fights after the match. 

The thing that stood out to me was that every single one of them was at least 5 stone overweight and I couldn’t understand a word they were saying. 

Dipshits. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

We played well yesterday and but for their keeper having a blinder would have won comfortably. I get the frustration but some of our fans booing and berating Martin and the players at full time was disgusting really. Shame as the support during the game was good.

We really didn't "play well". Rotherham (apart from their keeper) were awful to start with but our negative tactics made them grow with confidence and mount a decent fight back. It was awful game management. Leicester without a doubt would have won 5-0 but all I can see on here are fans patting themselves on the back while claiming we played well. Jesus our standards have slipped alarmingly. If you are satisfied with what you saw yesterday then  good for you but in the circles I mix in there is a lot of disquiet at the direction the club, under Martin/Wilcox, is heading.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

who gives a toss if the way we are trying to play wins champions league?

I was using this as a parallel to the very high standard we are trying to attain. As I suspect you know full well. 

I agree that endless sideways passing g is not beautiful. I’m not aware that I claim it is. If you mean that our possession based game is too conservative at present then you have a fair and accurate point. My guess is that the players are still learning to walk rather than go straight to run hence an obvious current predisposition to the “ safer” often  horizontal pass. In time I think we will see more vertical passes ( ie KWP to AA goal) to decisive areas.
But we are not quite there yet. How much time will vile customers give RM I dont know but he and brave players doing what he asks despite the shit have my support. 

Edited by gio1saints
So
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, gio1saints said:

I was using this as a parallel to the very high standard we are trying to attain. As I suspect you know full well. 

I agree that endless sideways passing g is not beautiful. I’m not aware that I claim it is. If you mean that our possession based game is too conservative at present then you have a fair and accurate point. My guess is that the players are still learning to walk rather than go straight to run hence a predisposition to the “ safer” of term horizontal pass. In time I think k we will see more vertical passes ( ie KWP to AA goal) to decisive areas.
But we are not quite there yet. How much time will vile customers give RM I dont know but he and brave players doing what he asks despite the shit have my support. 

in the meantime, Auto promotion (which was the aim) is out of reach, and that was by game 10.  

• Like 5

11 hours ago, warsash saint said:

The complete over reaction baffles me.  If Smallbone scores that chance in the second half then this WHOLE board will commenting on a nice comfortable win!!

We have have enough cxcuseshances to win 3 games, their keeper has had a worldy, & they score from from absolutory nothing!

Yeah, i walk out of St Mary's bitterly disappointed with the result like every fan BUT i am not suicidal like most on here with the performance!

Fools paradise. If only, if only, if only……………..

If only everyone on the planet could live in peace and harmony, global warming didn't exist and nobody was starving to death.

Time to stop making excuses and face reality chum!

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Nobody gives a shit about any “ high standards” 

I don’t care if we have 2 shots on target, score them both and concede less. Winning games is far more entertaining than trying to look like winners but failing. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Satisfied by the standard of play? We were playing Rotherham at home, not Real Madrid. A team with serious promotion ambitions would have taken the three points easily. Your telling me that watching Smallbone, Bednerak, Downes etc passing it around in five yard triangles sideways and backwards is beautiful? I call it boring and cowardly, and am guessing the more this goes on, the less "vile customers" Martin and SR will have to deal with. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, gio1saints said:

Saintly regards 
Giordano 

The best, most sensible and accurate assessment of our team I have seen on this forum for a long time.

Results seem to trigger some incredible reactions.

The vitriol against Martin is embarrassing, we’ve watched our team pass around under earlier managers but with no end result, but you can’t claim yesterday we had no plan.

I agree, that the improving performances are really encouraging, and the inter linking and play is really effective at creating chances, as proved yesterday by the number of good openings we created. Unfortunately it was a bad day at the office in front of goal, as we consistently lacked composure or met an inspired keeper every time we created the chance.

The performance demonstrates the ability and the team are showing much more commitment and fight, which was lacking during our poor run.

Everyone feels disappointment over the result yesterday, but look at it another way, 17 points over 11 games will result in 70+ points at the end of the season, but this included a really poor run of 4 defeats in a row, so without that, and based on 7 points from the last 3 games we would reach 100+ points by the end of the season.

So based on one result yesterday, we want the manager changed. Some fans are so knee jerk it is unreal. I for one am excited where Martin can take us this season. Let’s enjoy the ride and back the team and manager.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 1

Just now, Polegategavin243 said:

So based on one result yesterday, we want the manager changed. Some fans are so knee jerk it is unreal. I for one am excited where Martin can take us this season. Let’s enjoy the ride and back the team and manager.

You have just made this up.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

Nobody gives a shit about any “ high standards” 

I don’t care if we have 2 shots on target, score them both and concede less. Winning games is far more entertaining than trying to look like winners but failing. 

I’m not sure we would win anything without high standards. RM is attempting to get us to play a version of the style of football that currently dominates EPL and champions league football. 
The natural response is to say I dont care about that I just want to beat Rotherham,  no excuses. 

I guess that’s the difference between being a student and being a teacher. Students do not learn overnight. It takes 3 years to get most degrees. Many fans like yourself do not want anything but results NOW. Who doesn’t? I think we only perhaps disagree with the way they are taught and it’s emphasis on process first and results will follow - and how long we are prepared to give the teacher before his students pass all there exams brilliantly, every time. Or get rid of the teacher and start again 

• Haha 7
  • Confused 3

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

You have just made this up.

I haven’t, look at the reactions to one game above. There weren’t calls for the manager to change after Leeds. Some fans simply care about results without looking deeper. The passing was to try to draw out Rotherham, which didn't happen too often due to their discipline, but when it did, like when Smallbone had his shot saved it worked perfectly.

The issue yesterday, was simply down to poor finishing and an inspired keeper. Many future games played the same as yesterday will result in a win to Saints, but hey let’s just change everything play shit football and then use luck of the bounce to hope we win games again.

Fans are so reactionary these days, only instant change is accepted. Look at Watford, and be wary what you wish for.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Just now, Polegategavin243 said:

I haven’t, look at the reactions to one game above. There weren’t calls for the manager to change after Leeds. Some fans simply care about results without looking deeper. The passing was to try to draw out Rotherham, which didn't happen too often due to their discipline, but when it did, like when Smallbone had his shot saved it worked perfectly.

The issue yesterday, was simply down to poor finishing and an inspired keeper. Many future games played the same as yesterday will result in a win to Saints, but hey let’s just change everything play shit football and then use luck of the bounce to hope we win games again.

Fans are so reactionary these days, only instant change is accepted. Look at Watford, and be wary what you wish for.

The reactions are not because of a draw against Rotherham...

Have a read here - 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

I’m not sure we would win anything without high standards. RM is attempting to get us to play a version of the style of football that currently dominates EPL and champions league football. 
The natural response is to say I dont care about that I just want to beat Rotherham,  no excuses. 

I guess that’s the difference between being a student and being a teacher. Students do not learn overnight. It takes 3 years to get most degrees. Many fans like yourself do not want anything but results NOW. Who doesn’t? I think we only perhaps disagree with the way they are taught and it’s emphasis on process first and results will follow - and how long we are prepared to give the teacher before his students pass all there exams brilliantly, every time. Or get rid of the teacher and start again 

You’re a crank. We are not in the premier league or the fucking champions league, we are in the championship and the standard required is to win football games not to pretend to play like oil funded billion pound teams. 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

For someone who knows very little about football (Aribo as cf and a midfield 3 of Will, Shea and Flynn) your complete arrogance is as unfounded as it is insulting.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

In case you haven't noticed, we are in neither competetion. This style of play is getting us nowhere. You have got to be on the wind up big time. 

You might want to read my posts a little better. It helps. It seems some people are happier to post straw man arguments than actually consider what I’ve actually said. But fair enough I get it. - though the substance standard and thought that’s gone into some  of this debate at present is on a par with our current finishing ie poor. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Chewy said:

For someone who knows very little about football (Aribo as cf and a midfield 3 of Will, Shea and Flynn) your complete arrogance is as unfounded as it is insulting.

I think the reactions from some are way over the top and I also think that results like yesterday happen sometimes and on most other days we would have smashed it. The post you replied to however may be the most pompous and arrogant I've ever read on here and that's saying something! All these neanderthal fans getting annoyed about not winning. Can't they see its a process? The enlightened class of educated fans know what we really should be doing and that's sticking Aribo up front. Well played sir. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

11 minutes ago, Polegategavin243 said:

Do you need reminding of the performances against Sunderland, Leicester, Ipswich and Middlesborough? I was at the Ipswich game, quite honestly we could have played all night and still not scored. We are playing shit football at the moment, and have been playing shit football for the past three seasons at least. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Dear Mr Solak

I feel compelled to write to you about my beloved Saints. 

Yesterday on leaving the M4 to join the A34 I turned left and not my usual right.

This is because I enjoyed the afternoon at a place called the Kassam Stadium ( or half a stadium as it was).

This was to make my two boys aged 21 and 17 happy to spend time with there dad watching their beloved Bristol Rovers. 

Something the three of us rarely have time to do these days, as my youngest  lad plays in the Toolstation league which also kicks off at 3 o’clock on a Saturday. 

As he had the day off as his team didn’t have a game this weekend because they are playing in a Somerset cup competition against a team called Yeovil town on Tuesday night. 

This is in a league called the Conference. Anyway I digress somewhat. 

I love my football and have been accused in the past of being happy to watch any game at any level. 

But I respectfully ask you to make note of my points above regarding League One, Conference football, Step 5/6 football, Somerset cup football, half built stadiums.

Because unless you actually make a real effort on getting a grip on where your money is going.

You will and I have no doubt be watching like I did yesterday that standard of football for a long time to come.

Yours faithfully 

Dishearten Saint.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I think the reactions from some are way over the top and I also think that results like yesterday happen sometimes and on most other days we would have smashed it. The post you replied to however may be the most pompous and arrogant I've ever read on here and that's saying something! All these neanderthal fans getting annoyed about not winning. Can't they see its a process? The enlightened class of educated fans know what we really should be doing and that's sticking Aribo up front. Well played sir. 

Goodness me. Did you even read the post I made about that??? Please do. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

I'm not even sure why we're talking about returning to the PL. I'm more intent on staying where we are and building ourselves up. Does anyone think we'd survive in the PL if we went back up...even if there was an influx of players (although I'm not sure what the attraction would be)?

First half yesterday seemed like we were fighting but when it was apparent their keeper was letting nothing else past him we sat back

Not sure why he's giving Che game time either, he clearly won't sign another contract and wants out still

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

You might want to read my posts a little better. It helps. It seems some people are happier to post straw man arguments than actually consider what I’ve actually said. But fair enough I get it. - though the substance standard and thought that’s gone into some  of this debate at present is on a par with our current finishing ie poor. 

I have read your posts, and I conclude that they are absolute nonsense. Fair enough you have an opinion, as do I, and my opinion is that there is no excuse for not beating teams like Rotherham at home if you want to get promotion. There were periods in the game yesterday where absolutley nothing was happening, we were more than happy in passing it along the back four, and then when the ball found its way further into the midfield, the likes of Smallbone and Downes were more than happy to give it back to the centre halves. It got us nowhere, time and time again, we allowed Rotherham to get into a shape which we couldn't break down with our insitence of just passing it around. As the game wore on it was inevitable that they would score, in the end we could have lost that game as the usual barrage of high balls swept in. 

Edited by Lee On Solent Saint
spelling
  • Like 4